Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Mr Beens posted:

Its a one off to give them a card poll equivalent to other classes that have had expansion cards without retroactively adding dk cards to the last 2 expansions

It's a one-off, but as a F2P player 2000 gold spent on death knight cards is 20 packs of the new set that you aren't buying, which means you're getting significantly fewer of the key build-around cards you need for new decks if you're also saving up for the mini set, which means you better enjoy Death Knight because it's probably going to be the best non-budget deck you're going to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

What I haven't seen info on is what set the DK cards will belong to. If they're a regular part of the new set that just gets sold as an upfront boost to the class then it sorta evens out I think because you would be opening those DK cards in your packs for the new expansion instead of other class cards. If they're part of the base set or whatever its called nowadays then yeah you probably want to pass if you do not have interest in the class and stick to the new packs

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 6, 2022

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

afaik it's a completely separate set, same as Demon Hunter Initiate was, only instead of being free it's 2000g/$

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Does anyone feel like the dual class arenas just don't have that many class cards? I've played a lot three runs now, and it's been a lot of smashing piloted shredders and silvermoon guardians into each other.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

AnacondaHL posted:

afaik it's a completely separate set, same as Demon Hunter Initiate was, only instead of being free it's 2000g/$
That would feel kinda scummy ngl. Usually mini sets get added to the packs from the main set where they're released in so I thought I could work like that. But I also forgot about the DH set :shrug:

hermyownee
Jun 5, 2011

Patrick Spens posted:

Does anyone feel like the dual class arenas just don't have that many class cards? I've played a lot three runs now, and it's been a lot of smashing piloted shredders and silvermoon guardians into each other.

Yes. Thought it was something to do with no demon hunter cards, but still getting all boring neutral commons and rares when I went with other classes.

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
The basic set it missing, so most of the iconic class cards are out of the arena rotation until it's fixed

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

AnacondaHL posted:

Oh wow, I hadn't realized that they were going to charge for it. How is that even supposed to work? From a gameplay perspective it seems unusual at best to lock the Core cards for theoretically one and only one of the main playable classes behind a paywall.

Apparently it is included in the Mega Bundle so I got it but I don't think everybody in the game should be expected to shell out $80.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
They should be free but this is Blizzard we're talking about.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

NorgLyle posted:

Oh wow, I hadn't realized that they were going to charge for it. How is that even supposed to work? From a gameplay perspective it seems unusual at best to lock the Core cards for theoretically one and only one of the main playable classes behind a paywall.

Apparently it is included in the Mega Bundle so I got it but I don't think everybody in the game should be expected to shell out $80.

Well they didn't lock all the core cards behind a paywall. They split it up across 3 things to try and mask what they were doing.

https://hearthstone.blizzard.com/en-us/news/23852696

32 free DK cards added to Core

10 as part of March of the Lich King set

26 in Path of Arthas, for 2000g/1500 Runestones

If they release a Miniset later then this sucks.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Card reveals start tommorow btw

kater
Nov 16, 2010

so like can i just dust my entire knights of frozen throne collection? or is it going to require you to have the cards again in wild once this event thing is over? why wouldn't they just auto trash em if it wasn't a limited time thing?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

kater posted:

so like can i just dust my entire knights of frozen throne collection? or is it going to require you to have the cards again in wild once this event thing is over? why wouldn't they just auto trash em if it wasn't a limited time thing?

It is, in fact, a limited time thing. Only until March of the Lich King starts next month.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

kater posted:

they are only temporarily added to the core set, once the patch launches they all go *poof* unless you already had them

kater
Nov 16, 2010

okay i think i understand this now, core is just a thing that they can change at will and rotate things out of standard as they want.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Basically. They usually only do it once a year, but it's a good way to insert free cards into the ecosystem.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Enrage warrior feels very strong, I've whipped up to diamond since the patch with hardly any losses. Most gamesare over by turn 6 but it feels more thoughtful than most aggro decks. Imbued axe feels quite OP.

### Enrage Warrior
# Class: Warrior
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Hydra
#
# 2x (1) Animated Berserker
# 2x (1) Beaming Sidekick
# 2x (1) Dredger Staff
# 2x (1) Irondeep Trogg
# 2x (1) Sanguine Depths
# 1x (1) Sir Finley Mrrgglton
# 2x (1) Warsong Envoy
# 2x (2) Anima Extractor
# 2x (2) Crazed Wretch
# 2x (2) Crooked Cook
# 2x (2) Cruel Taskmaster
# 2x (2) Injured Tol'vir
# 2x (3) Imbued Axe
# 1x (3) Rokara
# 2x (3) Weapons Expert
# 1x (6) Decimator Olgra
# 1x (7) Rokara, the Valorous
#
AAECAZ6rBASV7QO8igSX1ASB3AQNje0DjKAE4aQEntQEvNsE/9sEvuIEpeQE3e0EnO8EiYMFmKQFlOsFAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

What does this new arrow at the bottom do?

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Pardot posted:

What does this new arrow at the bottom do?

Opens the applicable mode

Adregan
Oct 22, 2002

Just going to leave this here for all you guys to see or haven’t heard about this yet.

https://youtu.be/SwkI82jvMOU

Please check it out. I know a few people that play hearthstone and are handicapped.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Just played a 20-25 minute game against Res Priest as XL Mage, managed to cast 5x Rune of the Archmage and 2x Blizzards in the course of beating them :getin:

Adregan posted:

Just going to leave this here for all you guys to see or haven’t heard about this yet.

https://youtu.be/SwkI82jvMOU

Please check it out. I know a few people that play hearthstone and are handicapped.

Not watching that entire video but I've heard about this elsewhere, it sucks :saddowns:

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

DK cards revealed today:

Hard to say how good some of them are without knowing how easy it is to generate corpses (or really how the class plays overall) but it's interesting they're including the LK legendary generated cards.

I expect DK to be very overpowered but one comment I heard somewhere is that unlike with DH there won't be a new rotation at the same time so Blizzard should have a lot more data on hand about how this stuff will impact the current environment.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
I mean, Corpses are pretty easy to figure out. We’ve been playing with Infuse for three months and it’s basically the same mechanic, with the exception that some of the Death Knight tokens don’t increment the mechanic. (The fact that Corpse cards expend your dead minions is offset by the fact that they don’t have to be drawn to begin building.) It’s so easy to charge Denathrius, Sylvanas, Devourer, etc, that I have to figure Corpse cards will be pretty easy to use consistently unless you’re playing like 22 spells or something.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I was disheartened a while ago that Thief Rogue was really terrible so I stopped playing it, but I found this list on d0nkey's site a few days ago and it's actually a good deck. To me, it doesn't count as Thief Rogue without Tess Greymane, and while most of the older lists dropped her the new ones all seem to include her, so I'm now enjoying HS again after a few weeks of just finishing dailies with whatever deck I had on hand.

Sprint at five mana feels perfect, and it solves the problem I had with my version from the previous expansion where the deck doesn't have a lot of high impact stuff to do so you end up slow-drawing a bunch of nothing and die early. Double Cross is a big help here as well, and the mana cheat cards make everything flow pretty well.

### Thief Rogue
# Class: Rogue
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (0) Preparation
# 2x (0) Shadowstep
# 2x (1) Blackwater Cutlass
# 1x (1) Sir Finley, Sea Guide
# 2x (2) Double Cross
# 2x (2) Jackpot!
# 1x (2) Maestra of the Masquerade
# 2x (2) Perjury
# 2x (2) Reconnaissance
# 2x (2) Serrated Bone Spike
# 2x (2) Sketchy Stranger
# 2x (2) Tooth of Nefarian
# 2x (3) Ghastly Gravedigger
# 1x (3) Prince Renathal
# 2x (4) Private Eye
# 2x (4) Swiftscale Trickster
# 2x (5) Contraband Stash
# 1x (5) Queen Azshara
# 2x (5) Sprint
# 2x (5) Wildpaw Gnoll
# 1x (6) Crabatoa
# 1x (7) Tess Greymane
# 1x (8) Shadowcrafter Scabbs
# 1x (10) Sire Denathrius
#
AAECAaIHCKH5A/uKBOWwBNi2BNu5BOnQBJfvBIukBRC9gASWnwT2nwT3nwS6pAT7pQTspwT5rATVtgTc2gTd2gT13QSS3wTD4wT37QT58QQA

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
You don't even have to have the cards in your hand like infuse, and with each reborn card giving you 2 corpses it doesn't look like it's going to be hard to play with. Though you might have to limit the decks to just a few corpse heavy cards.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

GTO posted:

Enrage warrior feels very strong, I've whipped up to diamond since the patch with hardly any losses. Most gamesare over by turn 6 but it feels more thoughtful than most aggro decks. Imbued axe feels quite OP.

### Enrage Warrior
# Year of the Hydra
#
# 2x (1) Animated Berserker
# 2x (1) Beaming Sidekick
# 2x (1) Dredger Staff
# 2x (1) Irondeep Trogg
# 2x (1) Sanguine Depths
# 1x (1) Sir Finley Mrrgglton
# 2x (1) Warsong Envoy
# 2x (2) Anima Extractor
# 2x (2) Crazed Wretch
# 2x (2) Crooked Cook
# 2x (2) Cruel Taskmaster
# 2x (2) Injured Tol'vir
# 2x (3) Imbued Axe
# 1x (3) Rokara
# 2x (3) Weapons Expert
# 1x (6) Decimator Olgra
#
AAECAZ6rBASV7QO8igSX1ASB3AQNje0DjKAE4aQEntQEvNsE/9sEvuIEpeQE3e0EnO8EiYMFmKQFlOsFAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

I don't usually play aggro so I'm not sure if I'm just getting unlucky or playing it badly, probably badly since it happens whenever I play aggro, but I can never seem to finish the opponent off. I always run out of cards and steam by about turn 6 or 7 and then I'm just top decking. Do i need to hold back a load of cards and then spring it all at once? This always seems to give my opponents time to build up a board i can't beat....

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I forget, does it make sense to keep any standard packs you get now for when the expansion comes out?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I forget, does it make sense to keep any standard packs you get now for when the expansion comes out?

yes it does once the new expansion comes out the new cards are added to the pool, and with duplicate protection and a currently full collection they essentially BECOME new expansion packs

of course if you're still missing cards from the previous sets of the Years of the Hydra or the Gryphon then it won't particularly do you any good

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Excelzior posted:

of course if you're still missing cards from the previous sets of the Years of the Hydra or the Gryphon then it won't particularly do you any good

It can still help you fill out your common/rare collections depending on how many of the new packs you're planning on opening. In almost 8 years of playing this game I've never once had a complete Standard collection. I'm pretty sure I still have a handful of cards missing from every major set.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

bravesword posted:

I mean, Corpses are pretty easy to figure out. We’ve been playing with Infuse for three months and it’s basically the same mechanic, with the exception that some of the Death Knight tokens don’t increment the mechanic. (The fact that Corpse cards expend your dead minions is offset by the fact that they don’t have to be drawn to begin building.) It’s so easy to charge Denathrius, Sylvanas, Devourer, etc, that I have to figure Corpse cards will be pretty easy to use consistently unless you’re playing like 22 spells or something.

I looked this up because I was confused on what does and doesn't give corpses, maybe this helps someone else: If you summon a token via the new raise a corpse mechanic, it won't give a corpse when it dies. Otherwise, any time a friendly minion dies, you get a corpse.

From what has been revealed, I'm most excited for a Blood/Frost Death Knight, but there's still a lot of cards to go. Patchwerk alone is worth the price of admission for Blood and I can't imagine a world where it does not get nerfed.

Also, so far we got Frostmourne, Anti Magic Shell, Army of the Dead and Obliterate, I think it's pretty safe to assume that we'll get the rest of the Lich King set in some form as well.

Oenis fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Nov 8, 2022

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Oenis posted:

Also, so far we got Frostmourne, Anti Magic Shell, Army of the Dead and Obliterate, I think it's pretty safe to assume that we'll get the rest of the Lich King set in some form as well.

https://youtu.be/D11auLUWnwA?t=486

"It has been confirmed that the following cards did not match the DK identity:
Death Coil
Death and Decay
Death Grip
Doom Pact"

so 4 out of 8 is all

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

https://youtu.be/D11auLUWnwA?t=486

"It has been confirmed that the following cards did not match the DK identity:
Death Coil
Death and Decay
Death Grip
Doom Pact"

so 4 out of 8 is all

That's weird, Doom Pact I understand, but Death Coil could've been a fine Blood Rune card? I thought they were about life manipulation and healing. And Patchwerk is already one half of Death Grip, and Overseer Frigidara is a conditional Death and Decay, so blaming class identity in particular feels weird when they've managed to rework Army of the Dead in a similar fashion.

But thanks for the info!

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Oenis posted:

That's weird, Doom Pact I understand, but Death Coil could've been a fine Blood Rune card? I thought they were about life manipulation and healing. And Patchwerk is already one half of Death Grip, and Overseer Frigidara is a conditional Death and Decay, so blaming class identity in particular feels weird when they've managed to rework Army of the Dead in a similar fashion.

But thanks for the info!

For Death Coil, I assume it's just that Blood has the healing parts of the class identity and Frost has the explosive burn spell parts of the class identity so Death Coil's stuck in a weird middle ground where giving it to one type in a recognizable form would make the rune identities too mushy. And honestly, yeah, those are still class identity problems. You can't just give Death Knight a completely unconditional damaging AoE, because they're trying to make control Death Knight not feel like they welded frost mage to control warrior and they can't just give them the world's best version of Fire Sale. They could make a version of Death Grip that works, but the iconic part of that card was the card theft and not removing a card from your opponent's deck so you'd be making a really different pull-themed card anyway and you may as well rename it. Army of the Dead... is another way to cheat out big minions, and Priest/Paladin/Warrior have been trying to do the exact same thing for so long that it'd be weird to have Death Knight doing it too in their first expansion.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 8, 2022

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Celestalon went into Death Coil a little on Twitter. He said they only want Death Knights healing their hero, not minions, and even that healing should be more proactive (lifesteal etc).

We’ll see if that stands up. It wouldn’t be the first time they went back on a class’s supposed weakness because they had a cool individual card they wanted to make *cough*essentially the entire history of Druid*cough*.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
This is a lot of fun, but it's Wild and needs 20 loving Legendaries:

### DB Reno War
# Format: Wild
#
# 1x (1) Shield Slam
# 1x (1) Sir Finley, Sea Guide
# 1x (1) Sphere of Sapience
# 1x (2) Dirty Rat
# 1x (2) Frozen Buckler
# 1x (2) Man the Cannons
# 1x (2) Minefield
# 1x (2) Obsidiansmith
# 1x (2) Zephrys the Great
# 1x (3) Acolyte of Pain
# 1x (3) Bladestorm
# 1x (3) Brann Bronzebeard
# 1x (3) Heavy Plate
# 1x (3) Lord Barov
# 1x (3) Prince Renathal
# 1x (3) Rustrot Viper
# 1x (3) Weapons Expert
# 1x (3) Zola the Gorgon
# 1x (4) Frizz Kindleroost
# 1x (4) From the Depths
# 1x (4) Igneous Lavagorger
# 1x (4) Kargath Bladefist
# 1x (4) Onyxian Drake
# 1x (4) Outrider's Axe
# 1x (4) Rancor
# 1x (5) Brawl
# 1x (5) Dyn-o-matic
# 1x (5) Ringmaster Whatley
# 1x (5) Taelan Fordring
# 1x (5) Theotar, the Mad Duke
# 1x (6) Iron Juggernaut
# 1x (6) Reno Jackson
# 1x (6) Sylvanas, the Accused
# 1x (7) Mutanus the Devourer
# 1x (7) The Curator
# 1x (8) Deathwing, Mad Aspect
# 1x (9) Dragonqueen Alexstrasza
# 1x (9) Rattlegore
# 1x (10) Shield Shatter
#
AAEBAQco6A+5sgLfxAKe+wL8owPfrQOIsAORsQO4uQO+uQOPzgOT0AOr1AO23gPA3gOO7QOP7QOm7wPQ+QP4gASbgQSoigS8igT5jAT6jASIoASJoATSrATlsASMtwSQtwTvzgSW1ASY1ASa1ASc1AS42QSX7wSc7wSk7wQAAA==
#

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

bravesword posted:

Celestalon went into Death Coil a little on Twitter. He said they only want Death Knights healing their hero, not minions, and even that healing should be more proactive (lifesteal etc).

We’ll see if that stands up. It wouldn’t be the first time they went back on a class’s supposed weakness because they had a cool individual card they wanted to make *cough*essentially the entire history of Druid*cough*.

I mean DKs whole deal is that they’re a corruption of Paladins and inherited their healing powers but twisted, and thus DKs can heal their undead selves and minions with unholy damage. That’s how they work in WC3 and WoW so idk why it’s a sticking point for Hearthstone?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Disargeria posted:

I mean DKs whole deal is that they’re a corruption of Paladins and inherited their healing powers but twisted, and thus DKs can heal their undead selves and minions with unholy damage. That’s how they work in WC3 and WoW so idk why it’s a sticking point for Hearthstone?

Because their thing here is making a bunch of weird minions and when they die you don't give a poo poo because you just stick their corpses together to make something new. Caring about keeping them alive is a weird fit with that dynamic.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I wonder if they will re-do Death Grip. It's arguably the most iconic spell DKs have in WoW, would be strange to not see it reflected in game.

e: in retrospect, it's also weird that Defile is also just permanently attached to Warlock of all things

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Deathcoil is a mostly unholy ability but HS's would fit more with blood.
Deathgrip is really iconic and I hope they rework it into something else, maybe a provoke effect for blood.
DnD is just an AoE damage like consecration but I guess they don't want all DKs in HS to have that type of effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Chernabog posted:

Deathgrip is really iconic and I hope they rework it into something else, maybe a provoke effect for blood.

Grab an enemy to your side of the board and damage it, so you get a Corpse and effect if it has Deathrattle if it dies