Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Yusin posted:

These look amazing but the Gray Waste one awakened my pedantry cause the Wasting Tower of Khin-Oin is missing.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Yusin posted:

These look amazing but the Gray Waste one awakened my pedantry cause the Wasting Tower of Khin-Oin is missing.

it wasted away

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Total Party Kill posted:

My 2022 creative project has been drawing the Outer Planes of the Great Wheel cosmology and thought I'd share a couple of the latest:

The Gray Wastes of Hades

The Wilderness of the Beastlands

Very, very nice! Well done TPK - amazing work!

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Total Party Kill posted:

My 2022 creative project has been drawing the Outer Planes of the Great Wheel cosmology and thought I'd share a couple of the latest:

<snip>

These are gorgeous, wow.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Total Party Kill posted:

The Gray Wastes of Hades

The Wilderness of the Beastlands

Very gorgeous.

Rutibex posted:

it wasted away

Very nice.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Total Party Kill posted:

We'll see how long my ADHD hyperfixation lasts. Toying with a Bytopia map next.

They're beautiful, but good luck doing the Abyss.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

What's fleshlough? Searching didn't pull up much.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mr. Lobe posted:

What's fleshlough? Searching didn't pull up much.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Fleshslough

you missed an S

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Thanks all, I'll post further ones when I get through them. I hope they come in handy for someone.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

I think I want to try playing D&D with my kids. They're 6 and 7 and have a big imagination and we already have a lot of fun with creative story telling when we go on hikes in the woods and play outside in the winter. They're both comfortable sitting and playing boardgames as that's something we've done a fair bit of. I played a fair bit of PnP RPGs years ago but it's been a while (last DnD I played was 3.5). I was usually the GM and I'm quite comfortable in that role.

I bought the starter set today. I'm thinking of trying to play with just the 2 of them plus maybe a character for me to play as well as GM? Just so the party size is appropriate. I think a couple of my friends would also enjoy playing with my kids (one in particular is an elementary school teacher), and I could maybe get one or two of their friends into it later as well. But I'd like to get a feel for how the two of them like it before trying to put together a larger group.

Any advice or tips for me embarking on this? Should I tailor anything for the younger audience? Is running a party of 2+1 going to work out?

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

I think I want to try playing D&D with my kids. They're 6 and 7 and have a big imagination and we already have a lot of fun with creative story telling when we go on hikes in the woods and play outside in the winter. They're both comfortable sitting and playing boardgames as that's something we've done a fair bit of. I played a fair bit of PnP RPGs years ago but it's been a while (last DnD I played was 3.5). I was usually the GM and I'm quite comfortable in that role.

I bought the starter set today. I'm thinking of trying to play with just the 2 of them plus maybe a character for me to play as well as GM? Just so the party size is appropriate. I think a couple of my friends would also enjoy playing with my kids (one in particular is an elementary school teacher), and I could maybe get one or two of their friends into it later as well. But I'd like to get a feel for how the two of them like it before trying to put together a larger group.

Any advice or tips for me embarking on this? Should I tailor anything for the younger audience? Is running a party of 2+1 going to work out?

watch out for dmpcs, you as the DM know everything and so have unfair amounts of information. your goal is to make the players the main characters, so if you are trying to help i recommend picking a purely support role. for kids games especially playing some sort of healing sidekick would be fun for them

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Play a comedic cowardly squire type character that helps them out with healing and stuff.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Rythian posted:

Play a comedic cowardly squire type character that helps them out with healing and stuff.

Yeah, cowardly and kinda dumb so he doesn't steal the spotlight.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Let the 3rd character be an animal pet that is controlled by your kids. It should have whatever is lacking from their characters. It shouldn’t be able to talk but should be able to understand them. Examples: If they need someone to pick locks, it is an intelligent monkey. If they need a tank, it is a bear. If they need a magic user it is a baby unicorn named “Uni”.

Use the sidekick rules in Tasha’s to help build it and keep it level appropriate.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

For your own character try to "not participate" as much as you can. Maybe even let your kids use your character as a pawn during combat. You need three players for a decent party, but the kids should be the ones in the spotlight.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

good call and advice on the dmpc. i have a couple of adults who are willing to participate in this kids game with me, so i think i'll be able to get around that issue. and hopefully they can take the role of nudging the story along when the next moves aren't obvious or solve puzzles but still let the kids be the stars

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Recently got into my first tabletop DND campaign, prior to this my main experience with DND is through the PC games (neverwinter nights 1/2 and BG). A paladin question - how literal are the tenets of the various oaths? I understand that paladins are not necessarily religious in 5E and more tied to the oaths, but none of the oaths have tenets that seem to fit the character I have in mind (a paladin of the Red Knight).

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Weissritter posted:

Recently got into my first tabletop DND campaign, prior to this my main experience with DND is through the PC games (neverwinter nights 1/2 and BG). A paladin question - how literal are the tenets of the various oaths? I understand that paladins are not necessarily religious in 5E and more tied to the oaths, but none of the oaths have tenets that seem to fit the character I have in mind (a paladin of the Red Knight).

I could see oath of glory or crown applying to the principles of the Red Knight. However, those are more fluff than anything and if you want to tweak them to better fit your character's ideals, I think a reasonable DM would accommodate.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Weissritter posted:

It's all fluff. Feel free to play it however it makes you happy.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
There is nothing stopping you, and many of the source books basically encourage you to, reflavor that kind of thing in whatever way works for you and your DM.

I don't think it would be too hard to look at the available paladin oaths and decide which one is closest (either mechanically in terms of features, or flavor-wise), and then insert your own interpretation of what that oath means and what tenets you would follow.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Weissritter posted:

Toshimo posted:

It's all fluff. Feel free to play it however it makes you happy.

Its fluff depending on the table. There are DMs who think of those as pretty strict requirements. I would honestly just talk with your DM and just see if they have any qualms with you creating your own oath tenets...or if they care about the oath at all. 99% of DMs wont give a poo poo and the other 1% you probably dont want to play with in the first place.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Thank you for the feedback all - will talk to my DM about it.

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015

Raenir Salazar posted:

Wish I knew this before spending 100$ on D&DBeyond :(

But yeah I'm slowly going through tutorials, I am hoping that with the macros and automation features it will let me do more complicated things that would otherwise slow down the game.

You can definitely do too much with foundry sometimes. I set up a battle map with multiple levels for my most recent sesions and it was too much work for litlle payoff. It still feels great if you set things up and it actually works.

Last week i did a bridge that played musical notes while the players crossed it. They had to arrange the boards of the bridge in the correct order to free a singing air elemental.

Great fun, but it only was good for about 1 1/2 hours of play, while the set up took around 3 hours.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Weissritter posted:

The key mechanical thing about the oaths is that there is no enforcement mechanism. Pre-4e Oaths had "You fail to live up to your standards for a moment and the DM takes your power away"; 5e doesn't so once you've sworn the oath you can do whatever you like. But speak to your DM if you want a different oath to the ones presented, especially if that DM claims to be old school or is older than about 25

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Yeah, there's no enforcement mechanisms but also, if you're not gonna live up to your oath, or at least make a good faith effort, that takes a lot of the fun out of RPing a paladin. Or at least a lot of the reason to play a paladin. Living up to a hard oath is basically the class fantasy.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Azathoth posted:

Yeah, there's no enforcement mechanisms but also, if you're not gonna live up to your oath, or at least make a good faith effort, that takes a lot of the fun out of RPing a paladin. Or at least a lot of the reason to play a paladin. Living up to a hard oath is basically the class fantasy.

That depends entirely on how well you get on with the oaths in question. I know that if a player wanted to write their own or use one not on the list (as is being talked about) I'd be fine with that.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

neonchameleon posted:

That depends entirely on how well you get on with the oaths in question. I know that if a player wanted to write their own or use one not on the list (as is being talked about) I'd be fine with that.

Yeah, flavor the poo poo out of the oaths, but still like, have an oath. If you just want to play a super devoted religious character, there's plenty of other options.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
I don't think it's asking much for your Paladin to at least try to stay in the ballpark of their Oath. It makes for good narratives when your player has to make critical decisions between the right thing and the Right Thing™, especially when there is such a huge range of oath flavors out there. The oaths are also a huge, integral part of the Paladin class. There is nothing keeping you from interpreting an existing oath "differently" early on, but at least stick to it. If someone told me they wanted to be a Wizard who had zero exposure to arcane studies and no interest in a spellbook, I would advise that they just play a Sorcerer.

The Oathbreaker mechanics also exist explicitly for people who don't like the oaths in general - just reflavor the "bad" parts of it to be whatever you need.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I think it depends on if you treat classes as lore elements or collections of mechanics. DnD kinda straddles a half-line with it where some classes cover a wide variety of concepts and others hit a very particular narrative, which I can see rubbing some people the wrong way. Especially when some DMs seem to love treating a Paladin's oath or a Warlock's patron as a tool to relentlessly gently caress with them instead of a fun story hook.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I think Paladins should have major consequences for breaking their oath. The whole Atonement spell and redemption quest are free content. That's a story hook the DM doesn't have to come up with. Any story hooks that emerge out of the game mechanics are just fantastic! In fact there should be mechanical consequences for defying your Warlock patron too.

Yeah bad DMs exist, but you can't fix that with rules. Nerfing the rules to compensate for abusive DMs ruins the fun for everyone else.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Rutibex posted:

I think Paladins should have major consequences for breaking their oath. The whole Atonement spell and redemption quest are free content. That's a story hook the DM doesn't have to come up with. Any story hooks that emerge out of the game mechanics are just fantastic! In fact there should be mechanical consequences for defying your Warlock patron too.

Yeah bad DMs exist, but you can't fix that with rules. Nerfing the rules to compensate for abusive DMs ruins the fun for everyone else.

To turn this into interesting mechanics you need a far defter hand than D&D in any edition has ever shown. "You lose all your abilities and become a fighter with one mistake" is utterly inane in terms of worldbuildinge (I can't improve on UrsulaV's Paladin Rant) and ultimately boring in terms of consequence. Taking out the old paladins falling mechanics isn't nerfing anything.

This doesn't mean it can't be done of course. Just that it's way beyond anything the WotC D&D team have shown for 5e. I've done similar things in 5e by switching subclasses on people; for a Paladin I'd switch them probably to Oath of Glory (the Oathbreaker is actively trying to set the world on fire) and might well write a Forsworn paladin subclass that among other things has the level 6 ability advertising their state. Likewise with warlocks I might well write both an "unbound patron" subclass and a "cursed" pact boon. And a Defrocked clerical domain of course - why does everyone leave out the clerics?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

neonchameleon posted:

To turn this into interesting mechanics you need a far defter hand than D&D in any edition has ever shown. "You lose all your abilities and become a fighter with one mistake" is utterly inane in terms of worldbuildinge (I can't improve on UrsulaV's Paladin Rant) and ultimately boring in terms of consequence. Taking out the old paladins falling mechanics isn't nerfing anything.

This doesn't mean it can't be done of course. Just that it's way beyond anything the WotC D&D team have shown for 5e. I've done similar things in 5e by switching subclasses on people; for a Paladin I'd switch them probably to Oath of Glory (the Oathbreaker is actively trying to set the world on fire) and might well write a Forsworn paladin subclass that among other things has the level 6 ability advertising their state. Likewise with warlocks I might well write both an "unbound patron" subclass and a "cursed" pact boon. And a Defrocked clerical domain of course - why does everyone leave out the clerics?

To make it work they'd have to make it a stair with each step taking you further away from your Oath and into something else. The only albeit clumsy analogy I can come up with is Anakin Skywalker (sorry)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

neonchameleon posted:

I think the issue is Paladins being their own class. Originally Paladins were a special kind of fighter who got extra powers on top for following their oath. So breaking their oath just means they lose the extra powers, and they still have access to all of their stuff from being a fighter.

Make Paladins a fighter subclass, make the subclass powers better than typical, but force them to follow their oath.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Rutibex posted:

I think the issue is Paladins being their own class. Originally Paladins were a special kind of fighter who got extra powers on top for following their oath. So breaking their oath just means they lose the extra powers, and they still have access to all of their stuff from being a fighter.

Make Paladins a fighter subclass, make the subclass powers better than typical, but force them to follow their oath.

Nah, Paladin is just a set of mechanics. It is a cool front line character with a resource mechanic for extra damage or utility and fun auras. Why should I be penalized for not following arbitrary rp restrictions if I find them odious but the mechanics behind the character fun?

Heck I further really disagree with the guy who said that if you don't want to be scholarly as a caster you shouldn't be a wizard and should instead be a sorcerer. If I like Wizards mechanics but not the "stuffy academic" fluff I can easily work around it, like make my spell book a set list that I sing or a dream journal that as I recall the dream those visions happen in the waking world. The arbitrary RP for the classes should be guideposts for players, not straightjackets for everyone.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 9, 2022

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

neonchameleon posted:

This is a great way to have mechanical "consequences" for breaking oaths and such without mechanically punishing the player.

I'm all for reskinning stuff and changing fluff to make character concepts work the way players want them to at the table, but I do think if you're playing a paladin, warlock, or cleric "straight" you should have your oath/pact/deity/domain influence your RP.

Madmarker posted:

Nah, Paladin is just a set of mechanics. It is a cool front line character with a resource mechanic for extra damage or utility and fun auras. Why should I be penalized for not following arbitrary rp restrictions if I find them odious but the mechanics behind the character fun?

Heck I further really disagree with the guy who said that if you don't want to be scholarly as a caster you shouldn't be a wizard and should instead be a sorcerer. If I like Wizards mechanics but not the "stuffy academic" fluff I can easily work around it, like make my spell book a set list that I sing or a dream journal that as I recall the dream those visions happen in the waking world. The arbitrary RP for the classes should be guideposts for players, not straightjackets for everyone.

Yeah. I would also suggest that you can RP as an academic without having to RP as being stuffy. The goofiest dude I know is a theology professor.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
No one in this thread said you have to go with the "stuffy academic" trope when playing a Wizard. However, Wizards are INT casters because they explicitly study the weave in their field to understand how to manipulate it. You are welcome to play a low INT Wizard but unless you are homebrewing a new class, you will still have to use INT for the class and your character should reflect your stats appropriately. If you want a character that never studied the weave and instead casts from other means, 5e has other classes specifically for those approaches.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

Zurreco posted:

No one in this thread said you have to go with the "stuffy academic" trope when playing a Wizard. However, Wizards are INT casters because they explicitly study the weave in their field to understand how to manipulate it. You are welcome to play a low INT Wizard but unless you are homebrewing a new class, you will still have to use INT for the class and your character should reflect your stats appropriately. If you want a character that never studied the weave and instead casts from other means, 5e has other classes specifically for those approaches.

Since every other class uses int as their dump stat, should every session be the wizard and his motley crew of drooling morons?

I've known way too many charisma casters for me to pretend that stats should effect role playing.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Once again, Artificers get forgotten.

My last campaign was my 22 INT Artificer leading a gaggle of absolute imbeciles running around the Underdark.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Zurreco posted:

Once again, Artificers get forgotten.

Still very funny to me that Battle Smith Artificers are literally just better Beast Master Rangers that only need to focus on one stat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Zurreco posted:

But why should I be bound to even this trope. Int is just a stat that reflects someone being able to recall information well. Why do I have to "study the weave" to use Wizard features? Just because you find that flavor inherent to the pile of mechanics we label "Wizard" doesn't mean that I or others do or even should. I can recall information well by writing poems and having a book of poems, or being an artist and having my spellbook be a sketchbook of ideas my spells bring to life. I'm not saying that you shouldn't play the learned book worm as your "Wizard," but if I want to play a Sonnet spewing spellsword, Bladesinger really has mechanics that makes that idea sing, just as well as any Bard or Arcane Trickster.