Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
What are the odds they're a brother/sister duo and not husband and wife? Probably even.

e: hell yeah that's a snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

in America before they let you leave the maternity ward you have to spin this giant wheel and half the slots just say "kill your baby".

and you just gotta do what the wheel says.

you joke but I’m pretty sure if we’d had our second kid where I we had the first (GA lol) my wife and son would have died.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

What are the odds they're a brother/sister duo and not husband and wife? Probably even.

e: hell yeah that's a snipe

Lol. I had to look - spouses.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

You may not like it but cradle-to-cockpit training is how the US won the space race.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

first day of having 2 kids at home and, drat, lol, im hosed.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

at least I dont live in america and didnt have to drop 5 grand on the privilege of being stressed as hell for the next two decades

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

im not looking forward to paying for two kids in daycare, either

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

it’s the lack of sleep that’ll get ya

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Dead bedrooming it pretty hard as as a result. None of our kids have been good sleepers and dealing with another 1+ year of the youngest at her worst is something I try not to to think about.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
We haven't slept a full night since 2017. We're almost there though.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Our daughter is consistently answering the question "what should we name your brother" with "Luigi" now

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Bar Ran Dun posted:

ha jokes on you I've been nite crew for years

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
even after we got past the point of getting both kids to sleep through the night, we never need an alarm clock ever again because at least one of them is up and making a racket by 6:30 every single day.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

last night my kid went to bed super early, which with the time change had me dreading/expecting he'd wake up at like 5 in the morning or something. but instead he woke up right around 7, absolutely perfect. he slept almost 13 hours, no idea why. he didn't seem sick yesterday and is acting totally normal today. oh well no complaints, it was great sleep!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

even after we got past the point of getting both kids to sleep through the night, we never need an alarm clock ever again because at least one of them is up and making a racket by 6:30 every single day.

My five year old is over that, but I've internalised it so I wake up at 7 every day.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

bitmap posted:

first day of having 2 kids at home and, drat, lol, im hosed.

i wonder what it was like before this nuclear family bullshit when you had family and community to help out

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Elissimpark posted:

If you didn't have insurance in the US, roughly how much would you expect to pay to give birth?

For my second kid the insurance refused to pay so we ended up paying $8000 or so.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

sullat posted:

For my second kid the insurance refused to pay so we ended up paying $8000 or so.

That horrendously expensive service you have for exactly one reason? It randomly doesn't apply when that reason comes up.

American healthcare is just the best system with no flaws.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

sullat posted:

Ouch.

ikanreed posted:

That horrendously expensive service you have for exactly one reason? It randomly doesn't apply when that reason comes up.

"Uh yeah, TECHNICALLY you were born with those ovum (ovii??), so we consider pregnancy a pre-existing condition..."

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Also that kid was the easiest quickest and probably cheapest birth possible, we used a midwife instead of a doctor, they spent maybe 24 hours in the hospital and didn't use any anesthesia. If we'd used more services it probably would have been a lot more.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

ikanreed posted:

the fact that people not only put up with a pointless middleman who does nothing but siphon money from the system and then play as literal !DEATH PANELS! but actively support and cheer it on is a powerful demonstration of pr brainwashing

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Kitfox88 posted:

the fact that people not only put up with a pointless middleman who does nothing but siphon money from the system and then play as literal !DEATH PANELS! but actively support and cheer it on is a powerful demonstration of pr brainwashing

god only gives you what you can handle, if you suffer you're a sinner, should have kept your legs closed, etc etc - christians

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Mustached Demon posted:

god only gives you what you can handle, if you suffer you're a sinner, should have kept your legs closed, etc etc - christians

the strongest pr of all... religion :fedora:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Toddler hands are so fast when they're grabbing something they know you don't want them to have:

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

on the upside to having a new kid I'm on the feeding night shift so I'm working through all of king of the hill

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

bitmap posted:

on the upside to having a new kid I'm on the feeding night shift so I'm working through all of king of the hill

lol nice. That's how I ended up getting into jojo

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Why does kid medicine only come in terrible flavors? Why are the terrible flavors so strong? Why do they have to put in so much god drat food coloring into the medicine? My child doesn’t want to drink the cough medicine because it has a terrible grape flavor (and my kid has a stubborn amount of interfaith. If they don’t want to do it, they won’t no matter how big the bribe) and I can’t even e.g. mix it in apple juice because there is so much drat blue food coloring that 10 mL of cough syrup turns even a quarter of a liter of juice bright green. So of course my kid doesn’t want to drink it because it’s green and even if the color wasn’t a problem, there is so much artificial flavoring it also over powers the taste of the juice. (I get the actual medicine molecules are probably very bitter, but can we at least get a citrus flavor? Why does it have to always be grape or cherry?)

Flu is just ripping through our community. Half my co-workers are out either sick or out taking care of their sick children.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

bitmap posted:

hell yea, I watched all of warrior and a buncha other poo poo on a laptop off to the side, with a newborn laying on a pillow in my lap at 3am, the only way she would sleep for more than 2 hours straight.

i wish she would find anything as interesting as poo poo in tubes. toothpaste, buttpaste, lotions, aquaphor, as long as it comes in a tube, my daughter will try to eat it, and get pissy when you take it away.

edit: to not double post but a disclaimer. we had to change the battery in a key fob and the packaging, aside from being a total motherfucker to open, also advertised a ‘bitter coating’ to discourage toddlers from eating them. I had to see how bitter it was and it hosed my tongue up. 4 hours later and there’s still a sharp chemical aftertaste. do not be curious like me.

meanolmrcloud has issued a correction as of 03:31 on Nov 8, 2022

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

lol

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Is there any kind of relatively cheap-ish device I can get for my kid so she has access to music or something in her room at night? She has a pretty consistent bedtime, and she'll usually stay up for an hour or so reading before falling asleep, but she's a bit of a night owl and it's not uncommon for her to stay up until like 10 or 11 sometimes. I'd like for her to have the option to listen to music or something, ideally with a playlist that I can set up for her, and ideally with an off timer.

When she was still in a crib she had a great musical mobile that had like 15 simple tunes on it, and a nightlight, so when she woke up in the middle of the night it could help calm her down and let her sleep again. She doesn't seem to have any problems with sleeping right now I'm probably just thinking too much about it. But it'd still be nice!

The closest thing I found so far is some ~$120 device that has songs on cards that you also have to buy, but it's a bit too gimmicky (e: this thing. Not a bad idea tbh but I don't want to have to buy card packs for it). There's children's radios, which in the end might just be what I end up getting, but I'd prefer something where we can set the playlist. I see mp3 players for kids, but I'd also like to avoid any small electronic devices (easy to lose, requires headphones), or devices with screens, because she gets way too into those and I'm trying to delay the inevitable w/r/t screens/devices as much as possible

Son of Thunderbeast has issued a correction as of 23:41 on Nov 8, 2022

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
You might try a Bluetooth speaker then use one of your current devices (and leave it in another room) to play whatever Playlist u want.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
That's also a good idea, I'll have to think about it. My perfect device would allow her to change songs and stuff so she'd have some control over it, but that's not the hardest requirement.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
You can get a speaker that has basic functions like previous/next song and volume. If you want her to be able to pick a song you're probably going to be using a device like you posted or a timio which are gunna be more limited in song choice... or something with a screen obv.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

running out of king of the hill so this period of 10 hours in the loungeroom every single night calls for an excruciatingly long jrpg I could never justify in your normal work week. gonna play persona 5.

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

bitmap posted:

running out of king of the hill so this period of 10 hours in the loungeroom every single night calls for an excruciatingly long jrpg I could never justify in your normal work week. gonna play persona 5.

I bought persona 5 royal on the switch when i shouldn't have but i justify it to my spouse as I can sell the cartridge when I'm done playing it (I never will)

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I set up steam link so I could play Total Warhammer in the living room on my baby night shift.

Fortunately she's been sleeping enough that I can snag z's next to her bassinet between feeds instead.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I played through like half the dq series with kid 1

2 and 3 probably zero gaming at all

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My daughter has attempted to play Super Mario 3D World after watching me play a lot of it. She is not good at it. She can make Mario move (not in any particular direction), or jump, but not at the same time. I'm hoping maybe next year she can be player 2 on something for real.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

That's also a good idea, I'll have to think about it. My perfect device would allow her to change songs and stuff so she'd have some control over it, but that's not the hardest requirement.

Have you considered digging out your old boom box and a CD burner? If you don't have tapes that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

we bought cheapo CD players for that. it was 15$