Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

TEDDYBOYGREG🇷🇺Z posted:

Ill be going to donbass in dec
(from t.me/TEDDYBOYGREG/441, via tgsa)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
This is a pretty decent read of the air war thus far in Ukraine. It starts with a rundown of how tactics changed over time, and the EXSUM is 1-2 pages of bulletized items in a pretty reasonable format. https://rusi.org/explore-our-research/publications/special-resources/russian-air-war-and-ukrainian-requirements-air-defence

It's written from a pro-arming Ukraine standpoint, but they don't really talk about that until the conclusion, so most of the discussion is free of rah rah posturing, and they keep the recommendations for the end of the paper rather than putting suggestions inside the analysis. They don't say "The Ghost of Kyiv is not real" in those exact words, but they say the Ghost of Kyiv is not real...

Executive Summary posted:

Executive Summary
• Russian Aerospace Forces (VKS) conducted significantly more extensive fixed-wing strike
operations during the first days of the invasion than has been previously documented,
while Ukrainian ground-based air-defence (GBAD) capabilities were suppressed by
initial attacks.
• During this period, Ukrainian fighter aircraft inflicted some losses on VKS aircraft
but also took serious casualties due to being totally technologically outmatched and
badly outnumbered.
• Russian fighters have remained highly effective and lethal against Ukrainian aircraft
near the frontlines throughout the war, especially the Su-35S with the R-77-1 long-range
missile and, in recent months, the Mig-31BM with the R-37 very long-range missile.
• From early March, the VKS lost the ability to operate in Ukrainian-controlled airspace
except at very low altitudes due to its inability to reliably suppress or destroy increasingly
effective, well-dispersed and mobile Ukrainian surface-to-air missile (SAM) systems.
• Russian GBAD has also been highly effective since March, especially the longrange S-400 SAM system supported by the 48Ya6 ‘Podlet-K1’ all-altitude long-range
surveillance radar system.
• Numerous man-portable air-defence systems (MANPADS) provided to Ukrainian troops
and later mobile air-defence teams meant that low-altitude Russian fixed-wing and
rotary penetrating sorties beyond the frontlines proved to be prohibitively costly during
March, and ceased by April 2022.
• Throughout the war, most Russian airstrikes have been against pre-designated targets
with unguided bombs and rockets. The Su-34 fleet has regularly also fired standoff
missiles such as the Kh-29 and Kh-59 against fixed targets, and Su-30SM and Su-35S
fighters have regularly fired Kh-31P and Kh-58 anti-radiation missiles to suppress and
target Ukrainian SAM radars.
• Without air superiority, Russia’s attempts at strategic air attack have been limited to
expensive cruise and ballistic missile barrages at a much more limited scale. These failed
to achieve strategically decisive damage during the first seven months of the invasion.
However, the latest iteration is a more focused and sustainable bombardment of the
Ukrainian electricity grid, blending hundreds of cheap Iranian-supplied Shahed-136
loitering munitions against substations with continued use of cruise and ballistic missiles
against larger targets.
• The West must avoid complacency about the need to urgently bolster Ukrainian airdefence capacity. It is purely thanks to its failure to destroy Ukraine’s mobile SAM systems
that Russia remains unable to effectively employ the potentially heavy and efficient aerial
firepower of its fixed-wing bomber and multi-role fighter fleets to bombard Ukrainian
strategic targets and frontline positions from medium altitude, as it did in Syria.
The Russian Air War and Ukrainian Requirements for Air Defence
Bronk with Reynolds and Watling
• It follows that if Ukrainian SAMs are not resupplied with ammunition, and ultimately
augmented and replaced with Western equivalents over time, the VKS will regain the
ability to pose a major threat.
• In the short term, Ukraine also needs large numbers of additional MANPADS and radarguided anti-aircraft guns, such as the Gepard, to sustain and increase its ability to
intercept the Shahed-136s and protect its remaining power infrastructure and repairs
to damaged facilities.
• In the medium term, Ukraine needs cost-effective ways to defend itself against the
Shahed-136. One option could be compact radar and/or laser ranging and sighting
systems to allow numerous existing anti-aircraft guns to be much more accurate and
effective against them.
• The Ukrainian Air Force fighter force needs modern Western fighters and missiles to
sustainably counter the VKS. Russian pilots have been cautious throughout the war, so
even a small number of Western fighters could have a major deterrent effect.
• Any Western fighter supplied in the short–medium term needs to be capable of
dispersed operations using mobile maintenance equipment and small support teams,
and flying from relatively rough runways, to avoid being neutralised by Russian longrange missile strikes.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

he could die of natural causes and it should still be a closed casket funeral

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

We usually make ours in a pressure cooker or a pan of boiling water on a stove, both of which can be issued to every section. The rationale is the chemicals are expensive, dangerous and a wartime contingency, stoves and pressure cookers are not. Beyond that, IMPs are rarely eaten as is.

We have field kitchens that try to provide hot food for at least two meals a day, unless under the most extreme circumstances, run up to the forward positions in hayboxes.

I know it’s a British Army thing but can’t remember if it was a Boer War thing or not, but they take pride in providing monstrous quantities of eggs, bacon, beans and tomatoes basically unless you are being overrun, and it’s “Push” logistics which means that you will have to send a vehicle or bearers from the battery to pick up the food from the kitchen. They will not get off your rear end otherwise

On Remembrance Day, in garrison, they deliver hayboxes of Chilli and Chowder to artillery units, as is tradition. So Friday, if I go to an artillery function, there will be food provided by an army kitchen, in garrison, in a city, that a couple of Gunners had to drive to pick up. They take it pretty seriously too, and one of the jobs for new enlisted men is to dispose of the tens of litres of Chilli and Chowder after everyone has eaten, and a junior officer to supervise, while everybody else gets drunk.

Oh that makes sense.

Ahh so the new guys have to clean up while everyone else parties

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://mobile.twitter.com/uamemesforces/status/1589647639678971906

It’s funny because Putin’s original goal was to do in Ukraine what America did in Iraq, set up a unpopular widely despised government, hold a few “purple finger” referendums and leave behind troops to maintain it.

The Russian army sucking so hard is what caused the announcements that they were annexing territories.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Gonna take this as complete vindication

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

PawParole posted:

It’s funny because Putin’s original goal was to do in Ukraine what America did in Iraq, set up a unpopular widely despised government, hold a few “purple finger” referendums and leave behind troops to maintain it.

The Russian army sucking so hard is what caused the announcements that they were annexing territories.

The tankies flee from logic, their tanks badly badly damaged

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum
speaking of food I can’t believe that only yesterday it was reported an entire division was anally vored but y’all tankies wanna pretend it never happened.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

PawParole posted:

oh word?

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010
Can we no longer post an insanely dumb hot takes without ridicule?!

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

A recent armistice is currently affecting the tone of the thread.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Seatbelts posted:

no sorry. tankie bullshit is out. reasonable, fact-based evaluations are in

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
https://twitter.com/MargoGontar/status/1588665959656484864

Ooooh they got us fam! Skewered!

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Liberalism is just thinking tv is real

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lots of people know what putin is thinking

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1589578495919034368

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

420 Gank Mid posted:

Liberalism is just thinking tv is real

Tv is made by liberals, it is their world view made manifest

speng31b
May 8, 2010

lmao

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

war has changed

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Once again, dudes rock.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
My He-Man action figure versus your Optimus Prime in the sandpit at dawn. Winner gets the closest Ukraine village.

We will have an impartial panel of school children to judge who makes the best whap pow noises with their mouth.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

ItohRespectArmy posted:

war has changed

trains remain

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It honestly looks like civilians, I don't think it particularly puts the situation in a great light.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Ardennes posted:

It honestly looks like civilians, I don't think it particularly puts the situation in a great light.

that's one twitters most unsubtle and least credible accounts, which is itself the joke

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
if we're doing food chat, what is a Ukrainian dish that one could try to make?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

if we're doing food chat, what is a Ukrainian dish that one could try to make?

Raw pig fat.

Eat with soup.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Borscht obviously, supper simple. Beat soup, potatoes, carrots, chicken, served with sour cream.

Buckwheat porridge, enough water so that it get soft but still dry. Add some butter to it, refry leftovers on a skillet the next day, can add some carrots and onions to it.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

Raw pig fat.

Eat with soup.

It's not raw, salo needs to be properly salted.

https://twitter.com/0x6c01_8b48/status/1589556204879384576

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 05:34 on Nov 8, 2022

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Pierogis. Fried potato pancakes.

"Aren't Pierogis Polish though and haven't like 60+ groups discovered frying potatoes?"

Look, if there's a regional food that everyone argues about who made it or whose is the real deal, it's probably pretty damned good, regardless of whoever first did it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

Pierogis. Fried potato pancakes.

"Aren't Pierogis Polish though and haven't like 60+ groups discovered frying potatoes?"

Look, if there's a regional food that everyone argues about who made it or whose is the real deal, it's probably pretty damned good, regardless of whoever first did it.

similar to the famous israeli dish, falafel

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

also, this made a whole lot of people very angry:

https://culturecheesemag.com/recipes/which-came-first-arkansas-cheese-dip-or-texan-queso/

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
NEW YORK CITY?

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Thanks mlmp for that article, it's nice to see an analysis based in reality on what has been one of the more confusing parts of the war.

Seatbelts posted:

Without ridicule?! That's never been possible. Anyway my smart and good take is that Iraq should annex the USA.

Turtle Watch posted:

speaking of food I can’t believe that only yesterday it was reported an entire division was anally vored but y’all tankies wanna pretend it never happened.

A division? I thought it was only 500 troops.

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

Weka posted:

Thanks mlmp for that article, it's nice to see an analysis based in reality on what has been one of the more confusing parts of the war.

Without ridicule?! That's never been possible. Anyway my smart and good take is that Iraq should annex the USA.

You are thinking of a different incident with less rigorous sourcing than the independently confirmed anal-voring of an entire army group.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Weka posted:

A necessary sacrifice to ensure the proper prioritization of hummus in this country.

Edit: Masgouf looks pretty good too right now.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/sethharpesq/status/1589739813045174272

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmao

quote:

I know this story is coming out, so I want to say my piece first to make the best of it and encourage others to take action. Like many people, I was deeply moved by what I saw happening in Ukraine over the past year. I wanted to help. When I heard about Ukraine’s International Legion, I knew I was going, and I went to the embassy to enlist the next day.

I told one person here where I was, and I told one person there my real name. I didn’t want my family or friends to worry, and I didn’t want to be treated differently there. Going in, I had no prior military experience and wasn’t a great shot, but I could carry heavy things and learned fast. I was also willing to die there. So they soon agreed to send me to the northeastern front.

My time in Ukraine wasn’t long but I saw a lot and I felt a lot. I liked being a soldier, more than I had expected. It is scary. But life is simple, and the rewards for finding courage and doing good are substantial. My friends there know why I had to come home. l’ll always owe them for their example. I know I’m lucky I made it back, but I would also take all the risks we took over again.

This war, like all others, is horrific. The people I met were the bravest I have ever known. My fellow legionnaires — who came from different countries, backgrounds, ideologies — are true freedom fighters. As are the citizens I knew, many of whom have lost everything in their long struggle against oligarchy, and toward a democratic system. They know this isn’t a war between equals, it’s a revolution.

This war will shape the fate of democracy in this century. There’s more to say about its politics and the role of western governments there. For now, I’ll only urge you to help in your personal capacity. Join the legion, help on the border, or send medical supplies. Every day, someone there sacrifices everything for a lasting peace. They can’t be asked to act alone.

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

Weka posted:

poo poo that is better

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Majorian posted:

lol
https://twitter.com/business/status/1589643858622963713

Yyyyup, this is what a more unified Europe looks like.

misery loves company

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Ted Cruz being so widely disliked that he lost Texas' claim to melted cheese