Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

droll posted:

They don't really need another worker, they just used you in as a free extra hand because why not

Or they did, but they interviewed 5 people, picked one and then made them all work a free shift because why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

w4ddl3d33 posted:

this might just be that i'm inexperienced, but i'm in the uk and i've never been paid for a trial shift in any industry, bar one time when i was trying to become a sign spinner and they gave me £10 for four hours. is this the norm in the food service industry? afaik the staff at the restaurant are all union members and are all paid a living wage too, but again, i've never been paid for a trial shift

It's not illegal to have unpaid trial shifts in the UK, assuming it's of a reasonable period of time to decide if someone is capable of doing a job. That's generally considered to be one day.

However, I have never done a trial longer than an hour that was unpaid and nor would I.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

When I started recruiting managers for my restaurants I was surprised that a number of candidates were actually requesting trial shifts.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
"well actually, in the UK, the Super Exploitation isn't technically illegal" is besides the point. Don't do it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

evilpicard posted:

When I started recruiting managers for my restaurants I was surprised that a number of candidates were actually requesting trial shifts.

Trying to look good primarily I would expect. I do the same thing and ask for a shadow shift when I'm interested in a position.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
While I whole heartedly agree that one should never work for free, especially in the restaurant industry, I can see the benefit of scoping a place out to make sure it’s actually a good fit for you too. For like an hour, not a whole shift. And not if you’re just chopping lettuce. And they should still give you an hours pay in cash. At the very least a meal

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I will give them a tour and have them sit down with my staff so they can ask about me or work culture or whatever.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

droll posted:

"well actually, in the UK, the Super Exploitation isn't technically illegal" is besides the point. Don't do it.

I wasn't defending it, just informing the OP.

Like I said, I would only ever do a brief trial if it was unpaid. And then it would be so I could get an idea of how a place is run, if I want to work there or not and without wasting more time than necessary.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Don't ever let anyone shame you into working a stage shift for free. You can't end that practice yourself, and neither can your critic via online messaging.

Skooms
Nov 5, 2009
I know the history of staging, especially in kitchens is bad bad, but I also think it's important in the FOH to at least spend a couple of hours in service to get a feel for the environment and culture of the business. I wouldn't accept a job without staging first, personally.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Skooms posted:

I know the history of staging, especially in kitchens is bad bad, but I also think it's important in the FOH to at least spend a couple of hours in service to get a feel for the environment and culture of the business. I wouldn't accept a job without staging first, personally.

Accept the job, get paid for your work. If it doesn't work out, get a new job/quit.

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap
If you wanna work for free, volunteer at a soup kitchen you brainwashed serfs.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
What the gently caress do you accomplish by berating people for having worked unpaid stages in the past? How on earth are they the ones at fault?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
If you bust your rear end during the pandemic and only get a $.25 raise but stay with the company because you like the management, you’re the brainwashed serf, rear end in a top hat.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Cool, man. Did I say anything that even sounded like that, though? I don’t think I did. Are you confusing me for someone else?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

nudejedi posted:

If you wanna work for free, volunteer at a soup kitchen you brainwashed serfs.

We would like to have more volunteers at the soup kitchens!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

prayer group posted:

What the gently caress do you accomplish by berating people for having worked unpaid stages in the past? How on earth are they the ones at fault?

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

parthenocarpy posted:

You can't end that practice yourself, and neither can your critic via online messaging.

This is so dumb lol.

"People cannot collectively change something, and communicating how to do it via one particular channel cannot work".

Lmao

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

prayer group posted:

Go back and reread how op knew they shouldn't have done it. Then think about how other people reading the thread may not know they shouldn't do it. Finally, you have a low bar for what qualifies as "berating".

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Sure, that’s reasonable, but you guys know the victims of an unethical system aren’t the ones responsible for perpetrating it, right? Having to put up with some bullshit in order to get by doesn’t make you a bad person. Sure, given the choice, you should work with good people who don’t profit off unpaid labor, but sometimes you gotta make rent.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

droll posted:

This is so dumb lol.

"People cannot collectively change something, and communicating how to do it via one particular channel cannot work".

Lmao

Correct if me if I'm wrong because I've only experiences paid staging: unpaid staging is already illegal in the US, yeah? You might as well say enough online chat will end marijuana use.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Ah, you're doing it a bit.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
> unpaid staging is unethical and workers should be paid for their labour
> the victims of the capitalist system under which we sadly live are not at fault for doing what they feel they need to do to get by

these two facts can both be true

i've got animals i need to feed and loans i need to pay back. sometimes i can't turn down a potential job offer just because the employment process doesn't line up exactly with my moral preferences. sue me

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

prayer group posted:

Cool, man. Did I say anything that even sounded like that, though? I don’t think I did. Are you confusing me for someone else?

No way, I’m on your side. I was a goober and looked at OP’s post history

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

w4ddl3d33 posted:

> unpaid staging is unethical and workers should be paid for their labour
> the victims of the capitalist system under which we sadly live are not at fault for doing what they feel they need to do to get by

these two facts can both be true

i've got animals i need to feed and loans i need to pay back. sometimes i can't turn down a potential job offer just because the employment process doesn't line up exactly with my moral preferences. sue me

Where do you live that getting a low paying job in a kitchen is hard and requires you to work for free? A very small rural town?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

The Maestro posted:

No way, I’m on your side. I was a goober and looked at OP’s post history

oh, nice. maybe if we all join hands and wish with all our might we can make droll find something else to do than pick fights in this thread, again

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

prayer group posted:

The same I accomplish with every post I make: absolutely gently caress-all . :clint:

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

angerbeet posted:

I started volunteering with a local church that has a free lunch program last March, they eventually decided to pay me after a few months and I'm still there. It's really interesting, I've learned a lot about batch/bulk cooking, budgeting, making do with donations. Lot of interesting clients too, if you like that sort of thing.

Hello, restaurant industry thread. A little update. As it turns out, I do like that sort of thing.

I am now officially the Senior Administrator for my free lunch charity. Six months in and passed probation.

I've been through a lot over COVID, as everyone has, but I think sticking with charity has been the right decision, and it's the one happy accident that came from this horrible time.

I have now personally served over 55,000 meals to marginalized citizens of my city. Now, my focus is on paperwork and grant writing, but it's been an experience like no other in my life.

Thank you to all of you in the thread who have been kind enough to encourage me and to share recipes and ideas.

No they did not find a paperwork specific role for me because of the strawberry turnip crumble. Everyone liked it.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
You're a good person and you're doing a good thing. :patriot:

Skooms
Nov 5, 2009

The General posted:

Accept the job, get paid for your work. If it doesn't work out, get a new job/quit.

I think maybe it's just from my background, in the michelin environment in NYC, but there are so many relationships and poo poo, that I'd rather figure out that it's a bad fit without getting paid than dealing with all the fallout of separating way too early after onboarding, etc. That applies to even just captain/sommelier positions, let alone management. It sucks but it's how it is, in my opinion/experience.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Just loving pay people when they are working for you. It would take less than a hundred bucks to get a lawyer to write a contract basically saying "we will pay minimum wage to work one shift and we might hire you after that."

I've done stages as front of house, and then wasn't hired. And in retrospect I was just a free busboy for 4 hours. I don't think you're a bad person for staging in the past I just think it's something no one should do in the future.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
If I were an exploited underclass I would just choose not to be exploited.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I don't think it's insane to tell people they shouldn't work for free.

Skooms
Nov 5, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Just loving pay people when they are working for you. It would take less than a hundred bucks to get a lawyer to write a contract basically saying "we will pay minimum wage to work one shift and we might hire you after that."

I've done stages as front of house, and then wasn't hired. And in retrospect I was just a free busboy for 4 hours. I don't think you're a bad person for staging in the past I just think it's something no one should do in the future.

I'm sorry but that just not how it works! Wish it did! But it don't!

edit: but to be fair, a lot of the big restaurant groups are veering away from trails. My friend just interviewed for a sommelier position at Jean-Georges and they wouldn't let him trail, just toured the space pre dinner service.

edit2: although EMP did let him trail.

Skooms fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 9, 2022

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

captkirk posted:

If I were an exploited underclass I would just choose not to be exploited.

If?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Skooms posted:

I'm sorry but that just not how it works! Wish it did! But it don't!

edit: but to be fair, a lot of the big restaurant groups are veering away from trails. My friend just interviewed for a sommelier position at Jean-Georges and they wouldn't let him trail, just toured the space pre dinner service.

edit2: although EMP did let him trail.

Literally the only way for it to stop is if people stop doing it. People get staged in places where it's explicitly illegal and we all know labor laws are the last laws to get enforced. The only way for the practice to end is if people say "no I'm not going to work for free." Again, I'm not judging anyone who's done it in the past, I've done it. I'm just begging people to be smarter than I was in their future endeavors.

This whole discussion started with someone who was "staged" and all they did was cut lettuce and didn't get the job.so what really happened is they were never going to offer them the job and just got someone to cut lettuce for free when they were down a prep cook.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Skwirl posted:

This whole discussion started with someone who was "staged" and all they did was cut lettuce and didn't get the job.so what really happened is they were never going to offer them the job and just got someone to cut lettuce for free when they were down a prep cook.

Also that someone knew they shouldn't have done it but did it anyway

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
There’s a big big difference between somebody going in to chop lettuce and somebody going in for 2 hours to get a feel for the service, the space, the coworkers, the clientele, etc.

Neither should do it for free (and it should not be legal to do so), but as a bartender, if I’m choosing between a few spots, I would do trial shifts. I would also make a stink about getting paid for it. I’m a legal resident with about a decade of experience though.

The issue is it’s a power imbalance. Obviously the person going in for their first restaurant job doesn’t have much leverage and is forced to play within the system. Shaming or embarrassing people for working within the system when they are not in a position not to is pointless and rude.

It’s important to be educated about these issues and to stand up for your rights, but not everyone is in a position to. Reminder that wage theft is by far the #1 crime in terms of monetary value in the US. We’re playing against the house with a loaded deck.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Anyways I’ve been working at a new restaurant/bar for half a year or so. Lots of turnover and I’m basically the only bartender left. It’s just not quite as busy as people want it to be, and the usual restaurant turnover reasons - school, moving, etc.

The chef was great, but bored with the slowness, and that lead to a poor kitchen culture which bled to the front. He took an extra week when he got Covid to party so he got fired. They made a questionable promotion of a very young cook.

The main issue I had is with a beef tartare dish. It was covered with a dome and smoked with cedar after playing and then dramatically revealed to the guest. Fine, delicious.

The new chef started using tobacco to smoke it. Local, organic, nicotine-free I was assured. I don’t care. I made a big ol stink about it. Am I crazy for thinking it’s disgusting and idiotic and probably illegal?

They’ve since stopped doing it, but only because I threatened to quit if they kept doing it. It would get served at the bar and I would get light headed, wobbly kneed, headaches. I’m not a tobacco fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

The Maestro posted:

The new chef started using tobacco to smoke it. Local, organic, nicotine-free I was assured. I don’t care. I made a big ol stink about it. Am I crazy for thinking it’s disgusting and idiotic and probably illegal?

Disgusting, not at all crazy. Illegal will depend on how the law is worded where you live, but I'll say "likely" - most of the smoking bans were enacted in part for occupational health and safety reasons around secondhand smoke. Your employer exposing you to it intentionally would almost certainly fit that definition.