Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Is any of that in the text in the MCU?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

live with fruit posted:

Is any of that in the text in the MCU?
Avenger Hulk was kiiiiiind of related to Incredible Hulk. Just like IH had a South America scene like Ang Lee's Hulk ended on.

But they've just concentrated on Bruce not having control of the raging monster bit and not much of the psych aspect

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

MCU has a pretty blurry origin story of Bruce but we do know he rampaged and hurt a lot of people when he first turned and the subsequent years, has lost people very close to him, has been on the run and in conflict with the military or his super hero friends, spent years trapped in a mental prison on an alien planet as a slave barbarian, and crippled himself saving the universe. He's clearly been through poo poo that helps explain why he's not the most emotionally stable dude.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Is Incredible Hulk not canon now?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I’ve always thought it was at least loosely canon. Blonsky seems to confirm that. But if you wanna be pedantic and hyper critical I guess it’s not super clear. And technically I don’t think it was considered part of Phase 1 but obviously that has much to do with studio rights as creative decisions.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Marvel avoided directly referencing it for a while, but since they brought back Ross back in Civil War, What If recreated scenes from it (with Ruffalo playing Banner) and now Blonsky's returned, there's no reason to think it's not canon.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

IH is absolutely canon

The stuff that they took from the Ang Lee Hulk is another story.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
They even made a "I was a completely different person" joke about it in She-Hulk.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

FlamingLiberal posted:

IH is absolutely canon

The stuff that they took from the Ang Lee Hulk is another story.
It's in that uncomfortable area of bits being right but the movie itself is not.

Whether it's because of the PITA that Eddie Norton proved to be on set or the meh critical/commercial reception, who knows.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

IH has been referenced several times, with Leader coming back that's three characters brought over from it, and Stark has a cameo. I don't know why anyone would think it's out of continuity

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

https://cultfaction.com/2020/06/11/preview-marvel-studios-the-infinity-saga-collectors-edition-complete-box-set-uhd-bluray/

Incredible Hulk is in the Infinity Saga collector's set. I'd say that's enough to consider the movie itself canon.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Incredible Hulk is absolutely continuity. We now have three characters back in the MCU. The events of the movie have been referenced multiple times. And even direct parts of it were recreated in What If as referenced above. Hell the move is included in the official MCU Infinity Saga box set. I'm not sure why anyone would think it's not canon.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

People just seem to assume anything that doesn’t directly connect must be out of continuity. Like the Netflix shows or Agents of SHIELD haven’t had any clear contradictions or retcons but people are insistent that they’re not canon. When really they’re just there and they could or could not be. But they were at least intended to be when they were made.

I’ve already seen some people hand wringing over how She Hulk fits into canon. People are gonna lose their minds if she shows up in an Avengers movie or Daredevil or something.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the mcu being entirely fake and controlled by a robot named Kevin is canon

i feel like Loki in particular would have a field day over this knowledge

Kamala too

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

STAC Goat posted:

People just seem to assume anything that doesn’t directly connect must be out of continuity. Like the Netflix shows or Agents of SHIELD haven’t had any clear contradictions or retcons but people are insistent that they’re not canon. When really they’re just there and they could or could not be. But they were at least intended to be when they were made.

I’ve already seen some people hand wringing over how She Hulk fits into canon. People are gonna lose their minds if she shows up in an Avengers movie or Daredevil or something.

AoS isn't canon.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Canon is a fake idea for bible nerds, y'all are being goofy

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yes. My point is this is a dumb conversation and always is. The stuff that is canon is the stuff they use. Chill. Repeat to yourself it’s just a show. Blah blah blah.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SlimGoodbody posted:

Canon is a fake idea for bible nerds, y'all are being goofy

in my head-cannon you are a poo-head

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I'm pretty sure RDJ Tony Stark even appears in Incredible Hulk. They replaced the actor but it is still cannon.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Madkal posted:

I'm pretty sure RDJ Tony Stark even appears in Incredible Hulk. They replaced the actor but it is still cannon.

They did do a soft-retcon of that scene in a Marvel One-Shot. I believe that One Shot was also the first appearance of Sitwell.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If it happened in a movie it’s canon until they retcon it in a future movie.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That's honestly the best way to break it down, it's how you deal with stuff like the infinity gauntlet being in Thor 1 or "fine, I'll do it myself"
The MCU isn't afraid to get real comic booky and that includes retcons or partial continuity

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I would hope that in a future SheHulk or Deadpool project they set up a retcon joke in a previous MCU film. And they are able to get that previous cast to reshoot the entire scene with major changes.

Like an Age of Ultron flashback and that's the 45 second sequence that they convince Evans to be Cap again.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

I would hope that in a future SheHulk or Deadpool project they set up a retcon joke in a previous MCU film. And they are able to get that previous cast to reshoot the entire scene with major changes.

Like an Age of Ultron flashback and that's the 45 second sequence that they convince Evans to be Cap again.

Quicksilver didn't die. Don't you remember? He's been in a coma this whole time!

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Or they put Ant-man in the Battle of New York, so the next time Hawkeye's bitching about Rogers: The Musical being inaccurate, they just go to YouTube and show some clips of the fight.

"Clint, you dumbass."
"Yeah, don't you remember when Scott crawled up the Chitauri leader's rear end and exploded him?"
"Jesus, why'd Widow have to be the one to die?"
"Betcha he shot her in the back with one of his stupid arrows and dumped her body over the cliff."

What, too dark?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Admiralty Flag posted:

Or they put Ant-man in the Battle of New York, so the next time Hawkeye's bitching about Rogers: The Musical being inaccurate, they just go to YouTube and show some clips of the fight.

"Clint, you dumbass."
"Yeah, don't you remember when Scott crawled up the Chitauri leader's rear end and exploded him?"
"Jesus, why'd Widow have to be the one to die?"
"Betcha he shot her in the back with one of his stupid arrows and dumped her body over the cliff."

What, too dark?

A little yes

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
nvm

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1589697454576111616

This sounds cool to me.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Dang, alright. Sounds good

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Wakanda Forever review embargo lifts in a few hours.

Samples from the reviews:

quote:

The entire ensemble is phenomenal, but Tenoch Huerta bursts onto the scene with a brilliant, complex turn as Namor.

quote:

[The effects are] leaps and bounds better than the first Black Panther. Excellent overall.

quote:

Outstanding. It handles loss, grief, and revenge with maturity and seriousness rarely seen in the MCU.

quote:

You feel the length but it’s fun.

quote:

Everyone ups their game from the first film with standout performances from Letitia Wright, Angela Bassett, and Tenoch Huerta.

quote:

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever prioritizes sentiment over spectacle and for the most part it’s a transporting and engrossing triumph.

quote:

It also often feels like a mix-and-match of prior (frankly inferior) Marvel movies.

quote:

Spends way too much time coping with its non-fiction tragedy. The first hour of the film largely deals with the real life death of star Chadwick Boseman. Adding to this long set up are a few characters that fit well enough into the film, but are mostly there setting up future MCU projects.

quote:

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever is a beautiful tribute to Chadwick Boseman.

quote:

Ryan Coogler ups his game on the action.

quote:

The story is hugely ambitious & thematically rewarding with gut-wrenching twists and turns throughout.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

With great power comes no future

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Open Marriage Night posted:

With great power comes no future

I am an anarchist
I am the arachnid

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Wakanda Forever review embargo lifts in a few hours.

Samples from the reviews:

Sounds like the first hour is a great tribute and then the actual plot that kicks in is an overstuffed “see you next series/movie” mess aside from some good Namor bits. Basically what everyone expected.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
lmfao how was that your takeaway from those soundbites?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Barry Convex posted:

these are Twitter reactions from about two weeks ago, not "reviews"; the former tend to skew more positive than the latter. but anyway, the embargo on actual reviews lifts at noon Eastern on November 8 (a bit under 14 hours from now)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

BrianWilly posted:

lmfao how was that your takeaway from those soundbites?

Every single advance review for Marvel/DC/whatever franchise stuff nowadays is always a bit hyperbolic with praise. The reviews in these advance waves that sound more measured and tempered are almost always closer to the eventual general consensus of the films.

I mean the movie lost its original lead suddenly and had to be delayed and completely rewritten, plus it has to establish a new face for this subfranchise (even if it’s a character we’ve already met), wrestle with the real-world loss of Boseman, and introduce a new supporting character that we already know will have a show of their own in the future. “The Boseman tribute is well done, but there’s a little too much going on in the rest of the movie” sounds like a pretty reasonable expectation.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I generally don't give too much stock to advance screenings either but the Knives Out guy liked it and even though I thought Last Jedi was a bit shaky I still trust his opinion to some degree

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Every single advance review for Marvel/DC/whatever franchise stuff nowadays is always a bit hyperbolic with praise. The reviews in these advance waves that sound more measured and tempered are almost always closer to the eventual general consensus of the films.

I mean the movie lost its original lead suddenly and had to be delayed and completely rewritten, plus it has to establish a new face for this subfranchise (even if it’s a character we’ve already met), wrestle with the real-world loss of Boseman, and introduce a new supporting character that we already know will have a show of their own in the future. “The Boseman tribute is well done, but there’s a little too much going on in the rest of the movie” sounds like a pretty reasonable expectation.
I dunno mang, "all the good reactions are hyperbole, the only objective opinion is the negative one" is just bias in the opposite direction. Like, I ain't seen the film, I dunno if it's gonna be good or bad, but it's still just funny your takeaway was shrugging off the majority positive comments like "engrossing triumph" and "thematically rewarding" in lieu of the literal one single line out of eleven that wasn't super impressed and then suggesting that's what everyone had been expecting all along.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
When is black panther coming out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The first showings are Thursday.