Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

I love when they put those aftermarket vaporwave RGB lights on the reactors, it makes them seem even more futuristic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019

DiscountDildos posted:

The liquid fuel design is descended from the 1960s Molten-Salt Reactor Experiment at Oak Ridge National Laboratory in the USA.
Always fun to get reminded of what we had and threw away because the oil and coal industry brainwashed boomers to be afraid of :yooge: the N word :yooge:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

bonelessdongs posted:

Always fun to get reminded of what we had and threw away because the oil and coal industry brainwashed boomers to be afraid of :yooge: the N word :yooge:

my baseless conspiracy theory is that the CIA also encouraged it to reduce the chances of other states getting nukes

edit: i mean, as well.

crepeface has issued a correction as of 04:55 on Nov 8, 2022

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

sure id believe that, it was always about selling oil tho. Black gold!!!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

DiscountDildos posted:

God drat I am so loving tired of all the "[OFFICIAL ENEMY] is trying to subvert are democracies and freedoms" poo poo

It's totally pathetic on its face. Weak rear end wimp poo poo and they use it all the loving time.

it's so loving depressing when someone points out how some particular hit piece was directly funded by weapons manufacturers and it gets dismissed with "hurr durr you're a chinese propagandist :downs:"

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

DiscountDildos posted:

Every bit of evidence I've seen of this poo poo is like "look at this bog standard weirdo American conservative post that got 7 likes on Facebook... what if I told you a CHINESE RUSSIAN did it???!!"

Who gives a poo poo! I live in Oklahoma and 80% of the people I know post the same poo poo in even worse English every day.

I don't understand why its even a thing.

If a foreign government sent a guy to yell at me that candidate A kicks kittens and I should vote for candidate B, and I do, is that "interference"? Even if it wasn't true, how does that make the election or my vote less legitimate? What does it matter if I'm getting my information from Russia or the moon? Conceptually I don't understand it at all.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I remember that the last Australian ruling party ran the campaign of slanging the opposition labor party with the Commies (and lost).

I don't remember if other Anglo country election have done it before.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.reuters.com/technology/exclusive-nvidia-offers-new-advanced-chip-china-that-meets-us-export-controls-2022-11-08/

quote:

OAKLAND, Calif., Nov 7 (Reuters) - U.S. chip maker Nvidia Corp (NVDA.O) is offering a new advanced chip in China that meets recent export control rules aimed at keeping cutting-edge technology out of China's hands, the company confirmed on Monday.

Nvidia responded to Reuters' reporting that Chinese computer sellers are advertising products with the new chip.

The chip, called the A800, represents the first reported effort by a U.S. semiconductor company to create advanced processors for China that follow new U.S. trade rules. Nvidia has said the export limitations could cost it hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue.

U.S. regulations set in early October effectively banned export of advanced microchips and equipment to produce advanced chips by Chinese chipmakers, part of an effort to hobble China's semiconductor industry and in turn the military.

In late August, Nvidia and Advanced Micro Devices Inc AMD.O both said that their advanced chips, including Nvidia's data center chip A100, were added to the export control list by the U.S. Commerce Department. The Nvidia A800 can be used in place of the A100 and both are GPUs, or graphics processing units.

Such advanced chips can cost thousands of dollars each.

"The Nvidia A800 GPU, which went into production in Q3, is another alternative product to the Nvidia A100 GPU for customers in China. The A800 meets the U.S. Government’s clear test for reduced export control and cannot be programmed to exceed it," a Nvidia spokesperson said in a statement to Reuters.

Nvidia declined comment on whether it consulted the Commerce Department about the new chip. A Commerce Department spokesperson declined to comment.

At least two Chinese websites by major server makers offer the A800 chip in their products. One of those products previously used the A100 chip in promotional material.

A distributor website in China detailed the specifications of the A800. A comparison of the chip capabilities with the A100 shows that the chip-to-chip data transfer rate is 400 gigabytes per second on the new chip, down from 600 gigabytes per second on the A100. The new rules restrict rates of 600 gigabytes per second and up.

“The A800 looks to be a repackaged A100 GPU designed to avoid the recent Commerce Department trade restrictions,” said Wayne Lam, an analyst at CCS Insight, basing his comments on the specs shared by Reuters, and noting that eight is a lucky number in China.

"China is a significant market for Nvidia and it makes ample business sense to reconfigure your product to avoid trade restrictions,” said Lam.

Lam said the chip-to-chip communications abilities of the A800 represented a clear performance downgrade for a data center where thousands of chips are used together.

Major Chinese server makers Inspur and H3C which offer servers with the new chips did not respond to requests for comment. Neither did chip distributor OmniSky, which posted the A800 specs online.

Nvidia has said that about $400 million worth of chip sales to China could be impacted in its fiscal third quarter ended in October due to the limits on high-end chips. Having a replacement chip could help lessen the financial blow. The company is to report quarterly results on Nov. 16.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The funny part is that the two party system means that all the ire is leveled at the opposing party so much that they can't point it at anyone else really. It's not just "russia is destroying our democracy" it's that "russia is using the republican party to destroy our democracy". The whole system is so schizophrenic it has turned our entire political system stupid.

Always has been.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
saw several people in completely unrelated chats posting this today
https://twitter.com/WallStreetSilv/status/1589727995442647040
what does the text actually say there? lol

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
"workers and volunteers working on the front line, thank you!" Probably being sarcastic bit whatever.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
huh, listening to cantopop in Hunan?! appropriating Hong Kong culture smdh

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

It's funny how the capitalists basically can't help themselves but be friendly to China.

https://twitter.com/zei_squirrel/status/1589965637639888896

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

It's funny how the capitalists basically can't help themselves but be friendly to China.

Can't bite the hand that feeds.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Hubbert posted:

Can't bite the hand that feeds.

Isn't facebook banned in China?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

genericnick posted:

Isn't facebook banned in China?

zuck likes Xi and wants Xi to like him, and proposed to Xi that the first zucc child be named by him

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Very smart of Xii Dada ignored this loser.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
That's the most pitiable thing drat

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Cpt_Obvious posted:

lol you can literally watch the pitch jack ma made for Alibaba in his apartment in 1999

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

pyf rare xi jinpengs

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
friendship ended with chen weihua

now Muhoozi Kainerugaba is my best friend

https://twitter.com/mkainerugaba/status/1576594400011964417

https://twitter.com/WassajjaAiden/status/1576598326572511232

https://twitter.com/CrazyItalianPol/status/1576871147588943872

https://twitter.com/PopulismUpdates/status/1576979191941062656

https://twitter.com/mkainerugaba/status/1558362099545526272

https://twitter.com/mkainerugaba/status/1556995908847403009

https://twitter.com/mkainerugaba/status/1554625060584955906

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

mila kunis posted:

friendship ended with chen weihua

now Muhoozi Kainerugaba is my best friend

he got demoted for tweeting too hard

quote:

Twitter account deactivation
Edit
On April 11, 2022, Muhoozi de-activated his Twitter account which had a verified Twitter handle @mkainerugaba. It was not immediately clear why he de-activated his account but some sources stated that Muhoozi feared that, "there was sabotage against him and that he was being targeted by 'Big Tech' to silence him and his supporters".[74]

Prior to de-activating his account, Muhoozi had put in place plans to celebrate his upcoming 48th birthday with Uganda's Attorney General Kiryowa Kiwanuka as the Chairperson of his 48th birthday organising committee. The list of nearly 28 members of the organizing committee consisted of other very high-profile members of the Uganda society including prominent musicians, army officers, government officials, media personalities and members of parliament.[75]

The unusual approach Muhoozi had taken to using his Twitter handle to comment publicly on somewhat sensitive issues across Uganda and the region placed him and the UPDF under heavy spotlight as he is the Commander Land Forces of the country's armed forces. This came at a time when the UPDF is fighting against prolonged civil conflict in the Karamoja region involving notorious cattle rustlers where Muhoozi threatened to abandon diplomatic channels to ending the conflict promising to bring "hell" to those involved in what he called 'robbery and violence' in Karamoja.[76] At the same time, the UPDF along with DRC forces are fighting against the ADF militant group in Eastern DRC in Operation Shujaa that commenced in November 2021.[77]

On 16 April 2022, five days after deactivating his Twitter account, Muhoozi re-activated it, writing, “Never fear my followers and supporters. I’m back. I had some decisions to make.” It was not immediately clear what those decisions were. On 3 October 2022 Muhoozi sparked controversy yet again when he tweeted that it would take him two weeks to capture Nairobi, and the next day he was removed from the UPDF lead.[5]

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Okay, those are very handsome cows.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Dudes Rock

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
if China is selling digital opiates to the west I say loving good it’s much better than the actual loving opium the west forced the Chinese to buy at gunpoint

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

if China is selling digital opiates to the west I say loving good it’s much better than the actual loving opium the west forced the Chinese to buy at gunpoint

instead of cannons, they're using the promise of profit. our one weakness!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

kinda rules

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Throatwarbler posted:

I don't understand why its even a thing.

If a foreign government sent a guy to yell at me that candidate A kicks kittens and I should vote for candidate B, and I do, is that "interference"? Even if it wasn't true, how does that make the election or my vote less legitimate? What does it matter if I'm getting my information from Russia or the moon? Conceptually I don't understand it at all.

Pretty much every myths/bed time stories is about hating foreigners. It is scary to be alive.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
China’s C919: orders fly in for home-grown passenger jet at the country’s biggest air show.

China's 737 and A320 competitor was certified as air worthy a month ago. Air China and China Southern Airlines have ordered 300 of them.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://twitter.com/arthurgeyland/status/1589901568253792256?t=KdaYb0XbawQOd_6d0Wvygg&s=19

are all the top EU guys rworded

crepeface has issued a correction as of 00:19 on Nov 9, 2022

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

There's a bit of an adverse selection. You don't get sent off to Brussels because you're good at politics.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If you are going to crash the party, don't advertise it ahead of time.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
let's see what Congress is up to today:

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

did that pass?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Antonymous posted:

did that pass?

filed today. probably not going to pass, probably won't even get voted-on, but it still sucks that someone actually spent the ink on this garbage

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Ironically, pretty sure Sec 4e would cause the bill to get struck down on a First Amendment basis if it did pass into law, since it's the government telling a private company how they may moderate their platform.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's like looking into a crystal ball of america in 2024

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
dudes rock

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Marzzle posted:

it's like looking into a crystal ball of america in 2024

hahaha this is FULL of content.
Sec 4
Article D "A heterosexual must have the right to IMPOSE their heterosexual churches and businesses"
Article E "A heterosexual must have to right to talk poo poo about gays and queers and whatever"

They are terrified of big government mandating them gay boyfriends; no free healthcare but the gov has money to subsidies millions of gay boyfriends suuuuure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010
What a hard days work at the heterosexuality plant