Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Gift boxed stuff that sits on shelves for a while is usually good for 2-3 months, but convenience store breads are usually 1 week. Pasco products are actually shipped frozen then defrosted immediately before stocking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

peanut posted:

Gift boxed stuff that sits on shelves for a while is usually good for 2-3 months, but convenience store breads are usually 1 week. Pasco products are actually shipped frozen then defrosted immediately before stocking.

gift boxes sound eminently doable then, thanks! aside from tokyo, i know my friend is going to morioka at least so i'll see about what they've got up in iwate

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

orenronen posted:

I remembered this question as I walked by the bog-standard music shop in my local Chiba suburban mall. There was a full shelf dedicated to video game sheet music books, including one for every numbered Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest game, and a lot more (though the collection does seem to be centered around Square Enix RPGs, with some Sega/Nintendo/Capcom and random other stuff thrown in). These books stay in print.

I imagine larger music shops in central Tokyo would have even more.

Chiba's doable for a day trip. I'd happily head out there for the sheet music quest. Mind if I ask which shop this was?

Meanwhile, I'm experiencing Tripadvisor overload, so hopefully a more general question is kosher here.

I'd like to book a room in the centralized parts of Tokyo - Shinjuku, Chiyoda, etc. I'm not singularly picky as to ward as long as there's a Tokyo Metro or Toei subway line station close by. The top priorities are:

- High floor with decent skyline view - yeah, I know that Tokyo isn't the prettiest skyline, but I just like the idea of looking out over the Sprawl
- One bed for two people to share it - double or king, whatever they wanna call it
- Actual nonsmoking room
- We don't feel out of place as tourists wearing jeans (The Otani Main has a loving Rolls-Royce dealership in the lobby shopping arcade, what the heck)
- Preferably maxing at around $700ish/night (We're paying with Amex points; the lower per night the less we cover cash but I'd cough up extra for the right room)

Don't care about restaurants or bars in the hotel. Don't need breakfast included - my wife can't eat in the mornings and I'd be quite happy to walk to a Lawson or Famimart or 7-11 for a quick breakfast. I'd like a nice, upscale experience without being out of place, but that view part is the biggie. I'd like to look out over the expanse of Tokyo, not the skyscraper next door.

The current shortlist of possible candidates after going through Amex and Tripadvisor:

Shinjuku
Kimpton Shinjuku (We get $100 credit for onsite stuff and a free upgrade if available, thanks Amex)

Tokyo Hilton (Also gets the credit and upgrade because Amex)

Hyatt Regency

Chiyoda
Prince Gallery Kioicho (This is the leader so far, it really looks like it hits it out of the park in skylinery)

Ginza (I'm not sure if we even want to stay in Ginza since high-dollar Big Brand Shopping isn't our cup of tea)
Mitsui Garden Hotel Ginza Premier

Marunouchi
Oakwood Premier Tokyo (It looks like it's some kind of efficiency hotel or rooms with kitchens? I don't exactly plan on cooking while on vacation, have done it before and while it's doable I'd rather have a break from washing dishes)

MJP fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Nov 5, 2022

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
I was going to say DORMY INN but if you are paying for points or want to pay 700 USD per night then you

Peninsula (good afternoon tea, slightly old, but good service and more unique. My fave)
Park Hyatt (views, slightly aged)
Ritz Carlton (new)

I haven’t stayed there, but I would pick the imperial hotel. For better or worse the hotel just history and architecture.

Tokyo is nice but there’s so much to do everyday so I never get much value staying at a fancier hotel. I rather get something cheaper like a business style hotel/capsule.

If you want to be oligarch luxury there’s Anman Tokyo :laffo:

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
I was going to say DORMY INN but if you are paying for points or want to pay 700 USD per night then you

Peninsula (good afternoon tea, slightly old, but good service and more unique. My fave)
Park Hyatt (views, slightly aged)
Ritz Carlton (new)

I haven’t stayed there, but I would pick the imperial hotel. For better or worse the hotel just history and architecture.

Tokyo is nice but there’s so much to do everyday so I never get much value staying at a fancier hotel. I rather get something cheaper like a business style hotel/capsule.

If you want to be oligarch luxury there’s Anman Tokyo :laffo:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Wonton is right. Peninsula is closer to restaurants, Park Hyatt Shinjuku has the lights, Shinjuku Prince or Tokyo Marriott too…

How about InterContinental the Strings Tokyo, an IHG Hotel
03-5783-1111
https://maps.app.goo.gl/L82tbzNX77dPVq56A

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The Strings and Conrad Tokyo (step above Hilton, but same points situation should apply) would be my two additions. Neither should top out your budget.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
If you decide to consider Ginza, the Hyatt Centric there was great and easy to book for points.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Strings is in Shinagawa, how much of a schlep is it to get to a Tokyo Metro stop? Would we have to take a JR train and be in the hell AM commute?

I think the Conrad is booked on our days, so if there are other good view hotels for normal human tourists in the $300-$500 range that's even better. We basically have the equivalent of $3000 in Amex points that we can use, so the $300-$500 block works out a little better.

Is Ginza the kind of rich-people-only vibe where we'd feel way out of place? I get that as non-Japanese tourists we'll be out of place by default, i just don't want to feel driven to class warfare when I step out of the hotel.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There's like a dozen train companies in Tokyo, so... I don't know exactly what you're asking. Stay out of Shinjuku/Shibuya around 9am if you're concerned about hell commute?

The blue box is the nearest Tokyo Metro line, the green box is the monorail.

Shinagawa Station has lines from JR East, JR Central, and Keikyu. Keikyu has a passthrough for Toei Subway, which is a part of the Tokyo subway (Tokyo Metro + Toei Subway).

tl;dr: you're overthinking this and you'll be fine

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Shinagawa station is on the Yamanote line, and as long as you're in a reasonable walk of a Yamanote station you can get anywhere in the city with a minimum of fuss. Every line is going to be packed at commute hours, just plan to not go anywhere during rush hour and it's fine.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

harperdc posted:

The Strings and Conrad Tokyo (step above Hilton, but same points situation should apply) would be my two additions. Neither should top out your budget.

We’re staying at the Conrad Tokyo with Amex points as well, I believe there’s a 4th night free if you book through the Amex portal. Same with the Conrad Osaka.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

ginza is a nice place

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cacafuego posted:

We’re staying at the Conrad Tokyo with Amex points as well, I believe there’s a 4th night free if you book through the Amex portal. Same with the Conrad Osaka.

Through amextravel? Gold or platinum?

And also, general opinion question - we have three nights budgeted for Kyoto/Osaka. Being food nerds, I'm thinking we want to stay at an Osaka hotel and day trip to Kyoto. Good idea, or dumb idea? Fancy view not needed, as long as the hotel is easily accessible to mass transit and inter-city train connection.

MJP fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 5, 2022

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

MJP posted:

And also, general opinion question - we have three nights budgeted for Kyoto/Osaka. Being food nerds, I'm thinking we want to stay at an Osaka hotel and day trip to Kyoto. Good idea, or dumb idea? Fancy view not needed, as long as the hotel is easily accessible to mass transit and inter-city train connection.

Amex platinum. It looked like the promo runs through 9/2023.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

MJP posted:

Basically just depends if you want to stay out late in Kyoto or not. The train is like 30 minutes. I'm not sure how late they run but I'd guess last train back to Osaka is like 11 pm? Maybe midnight. Plus have to consider if the trains in Osaka are running if you're not staying near whatever station has the direct to Kyoto, which is likely Umeda and/or one of the Nambas.

That's if you're just going once, if you're planning to spend the majority of that time in Kyoto then just stay there.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

MJP posted:

Is Ginza the kind of rich-people-only vibe where we'd feel way out of place? I get that as non-Japanese tourists we'll be out of place by default, i just don't want to feel driven to class warfare when I step out of the hotel.

No it's fine, all of Tokyo is fine

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

MJP posted:

Stay near Umeda, you'll be within easy access to everything with tons of food places. There's a direct Hankyu train from Umeda to Kyoto (Kawaramachi) which takes about 45 minutes. It'll arrive downtown so you can do all the Kyoto stuff and Pontocho/Kamogawa river if you're interested in food there as well. Last express train back is about 11.30pm I think. Depending on how interested you are in Kyoto it's a reasonable day trip I think.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

MJP posted:

I mean, you're looking at staying in a $300+ a night hotel so I wouldn't worry about this too much.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

MJP posted:

Chiba's doable for a day trip. I'd happily head out there for the sheet music quest. Mind if I ask which shop this was?

My point was that if my suburban mall music instrument shop has a nice selection of game music books, any random one will be the same and likely the larger shops you can find in Tokyo will have even more. You don't need to do special traveling, just type "music instrument shop" into Google Maps and go to the nearest one.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Me and my wife are tatted up dirtbags and we stayed in Ginza for a couple of nights and didn't feel at all out of place, it's just a higher end shopping area really.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

orenronen posted:

My point was that if my suburban mall music instrument shop has a nice selection of game music books, any random one will be the same and likely the larger shops you can find in Tokyo will have even more. You don't need to do special traveling, just type "music instrument shop" into Google Maps and go to the nearest one.

Yeah, depending on which chain your suburban mall music shop was, there’s probably at least five closer to Yamanote Line Tokyo than whichever outlet orenronen went to, so just go to like the Odaiba or Shinjuku branch instead of schlepping out there.

Also

MJP posted:

The Strings is in Shinagawa, how much of a schlep is it to get to a Tokyo Metro stop? Would we have to take a JR train and be in the hell AM commute?

Everything is hell AM commute around central Tokyo. All of the Metro lines are interoperable with Pasmo/Suica, and no, doing those Pasmo day passes isn’t worth it, just load a card up with money and refill when you need to. Central Tokyo is dense with trains, staying around the Yamanote Line is fine, everything is extremely accessible. It is the loop line around the center of the city, after all.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We ended up at the Hyatt Regency - central enough, viewy enough, and within the Amex points totals.

Honestly we'll probably be asleep by 11:30 but Umeda seems like the right choice. I might aim for an Excel hotel solely for the ability to shitpost to other people who remember 20ish year old slapstick parody anime.

Many thanks for the human guidance, thread.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

field balm posted:

Me and my wife are tatted up dirtbags and we stayed in Ginza for a couple of nights and didn't feel at all out of place, it's just a higher end shopping area really.

Ginza isn't that fancy at all. They have a lot of high end stores there but it is sandwiched between an old fish market and drunk salaryman land. There may have been a time where people might have felt out of place there if they didn't have money but that time has long passed. There are certain places in Ginza where you won't be able to get in, but you'd find those places boring anyway. Just dumb rich people showing off they have money.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Any zeitgoon recommendations for a ryokan in either Hakone or Atami? An outdoor bath with the room would be nice but not necessary, as long as there's some kind of outdoor onsen experience. We've done separate-gender Korean spas here at home so we're used to the experience of "okay, meet you in an hour after a soak and a massage". In-room or private-dining kaiseki dinner is an absolute must, breakfast is optional, and we want futons on the floor - no need for western-style. Madoka-no-mori was my choice but my wife wasn't keen on the price, even though it'd be free thanks to points.

We don't have any particular things to do or see in either, we're literally doing it for a ryokan experience to unwind after Tokyo and before a night in Shizuoka for the matsuri there (which is just gonna be hotel.jpg since it's on to Osaka after that).

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hakone:
Tenzan Onsen
0460-86-4126
https://maps.app.goo.gl/Sm5VpgFxMPGMGPVD9

The retro buildings are a maze of additions with gorgeous river view and red lanterns that feel like a movie set. Lots of split-level and short steps so not appropriate for wheelchair users. Allows one (1) tattooed person per group.
The onsen-only daytrip use is most popular but they also have a very reasonable overnight option. (10050/person breakfast included, 1980/dinner option.)

1泊目10,050円
2泊目8,950円
3泊目7,850円
(朝食付 連泊からのお引き受け)
・4泊目からは1泊目料金に
・ご希望で夕食1,980円

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

MJP posted:

Any zeitgoon recommendations for a ryokan in either Hakone or Atami? An outdoor bath with the room would be nice but not necessary, as long as there's some kind of outdoor onsen experience. We've done separate-gender Korean spas here at home so we're used to the experience of "okay, meet you in an hour after a soak and a massage". In-room or private-dining kaiseki dinner is an absolute must, breakfast is optional, and we want futons on the floor - no need for western-style. Madoka-no-mori was my choice but my wife wasn't keen on the price, even though it'd be free thanks to points.

We don't have any particular things to do or see in either, we're literally doing it for a ryokan experience to unwind after Tokyo and before a night in Shizuoka for the matsuri there (which is just gonna be hotel.jpg since it's on to Osaka after that).

Looked at my itinerary from a few years ago because the Ryokan I booked in Hakone was fantastic... It was Madoko-no-mori XD.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Nur_Neerg posted:

Looked at my itinerary from a few years ago because the Ryokan I booked in Hakone was fantastic... It was Madoko-no-mori XD.

Fantastic enough to beg a spousal-privilege override? As much as I don't want my wife to feel uncomfortable and out of place, I want to arrive at the ryokan after eight nights in Tokyo ready to decompress, hit the baths, have what may be the only real-rear end kaiseki meal I'll ever have, then hit the baths once more before passing out and moving on with the rest of the trip.

I don't know if we'll get the chance to go back - might as well live it up - and the points would cover it, it's just a big chunk to take in. Never stayed in anything that was more than $300ish/night (adjusted to today's dollars).

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Ryokans are expensive and supposed to be a luxury thing. Given the exchange rate it may be the cheapest you'll ever get to go to a fancy one.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Why does your wife not want to go to Madoka-no-mori?

Edit: Ah right, the price. If you're only going to do this once in your life then make it worth it imo

Charles 2 of Spain fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 8, 2022

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

MJP posted:

Fantastic enough to beg a spousal-privilege override? As much as I don't want my wife to feel uncomfortable and out of place, I want to arrive at the ryokan after eight nights in Tokyo ready to decompress, hit the baths, have what may be the only real-rear end kaiseki meal I'll ever have, then hit the baths once more before passing out and moving on with the rest of the trip.

I don't know if we'll get the chance to go back - might as well live it up - and the points would cover it, it's just a big chunk to take in. Never stayed in anything that was more than $300ish/night (adjusted to today's dollars).

My personal thing about stuff like onsen, sushi, and fancy beef is unless you have a lot of exposure to the medium levels, you probably won't notice the difference beyond the bill between midrange and high end. In many ways, things in this price range exist for people to show off they have money. If you want to show off you have money, they do a good job of that.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

What? I thought that's what instagram is for

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Nur_Neerg posted:

I will also vouch for madoka no mori

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

zmcnulty posted:

What? I thought that's what instagram is for

My instagram is all pictures I steal from other people.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
I am in complete love with the Kumamoto mountains, holy hell this place is beautiful.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

QuasiQuack posted:

I am in complete love with the Kumamoto mountains, holy hell this place is beautiful.

Kumamoto is very nice. Try to check out Amakusa while you are there. That place has a crazy history and is a very good example of boom/busy Japan.

https://spikejapan.wordpress.com/2010/11/28/amakusa-islands-of-dread/

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Ned posted:

Kumamoto is very nice. Try to check out Amakusa while you are there. That place has a crazy history and is a very good example of boom/busy Japan.

https://spikejapan.wordpress.com/2010/11/28/amakusa-islands-of-dread/

I'm on the complete opposite side of Kumamoto, at kurokawa onsen, so that'll be a little to far for this trip.
But thanks for the suggestion, it seems really interesting.

I thought this was going to be my last trip to Japan, but now I'm not so sure. Kyushu definitely reignited the fever.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Sorry I’m a little late in posting, this is just nit picking. You can disregard.

If you are taking the Narita airport express train to town, do look for the JR east booth in the airport and present your passport for a round trip 30% off discount instead of buying the tickets from the terminal.

Hyatt regency is a tad old and their rooms haven’t been refurbished in the past 15 years. Location is close enough but try to take the oedo subway line. If you do walk across JR shinjuku, try to stay along top side.

If you want nicer views there’s the shinjuku metropolitan building for free 360 views.

For onsens, definitely take the nicer recommendation, hakone and japan has become a bigger Mecca for tourists in the past 10 years. Your wife will always feel self conscious because she’s that weirdo who wants to look for old rear end video game sheet music.

Which is actually ok because nerds are hitting 40’s and have that extra money for dumb nostalgia and japan is a magical place which still sells CDs and milk you dry on collectibles

As long as you aren’t pooping our peeing into onsen and wash your taint, everything is ok

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Gotcha, I will lean nicely to see if Madoka-no-Mori can happen. No worries re: proper onsen behavior, we've gone to Korean spas near us plenty of times and are well versed in the etiquette and protocol. Neither of us have tattoos, although I've got back hair, so hopefully I don't draw too much attention. Let's be real, I'm 6'2", I'm gonna draw attention everywhere just by virtue of existing.

Flip siding that, though - should we aim for Atami instead? All we're after is the ryokan + onsen experience, there's nothing particular in Hakone of interest for a one-night stay other than Odawara Castle.

Also, a bonus question. We live in the NYC metro area. We're huge food nerds. We've gotten a bunch of the standard "not just sushi and ramen" Japanese food - okonomiyaki, takoyaki, natto, etc. - over the years. I'm trying to identify the foodstuffs I absolutely gotta focus on while we're there because they simply can't be found anywhere else. Basashi, crickets, fugu, etc. I'm squeamish on eating eyes and brains but otherwise will taste anything. What should our absolutely-undoable-elsewhere food targets be?

MJP fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Nov 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Just got back from my 11-night trip to Tokyo.

- Flew into Narita,
- Got a 30-day Mobal SIM with a Japanese phone number,
- Took the Narita Express to Shinjuku to stay at an E Hotel near the edge of Kabukicho.
- Wandered around Kabukicho, mostly because I also liked comparing it to the Yakuza games map.

- Checked out early after two nights because the hotel felt kind of bad. The bathroom was so small I could barely close the door while using the toilet (which had the jankiest after market bidet installation) and the wash basin was about the same size as in an airplane bathroom. The hallways and elevator also had enough dust bunnies and dirty footprints on the carpets to look as though they had not been vacuumed in two months. The final straw was when I found a large red stain on the hallway carpet that looked like someone had been stabbed and bled out right there. :ohdear:

- Went to stay at one of the upper floor rooms at Remm Akihabara instead, which had a rather nice view of the trains coming and going and was just generally very pleasant.

- Spent Halloween watching people in costume over in Shibuya and then playing Jenga with a mix of Japanese and Western people at an Irish pub in Akasaka.

- Took the shinkansen to Sendai and walked through some shopping arcades,
- Took a local train out to Tagajō Station, then walked the rest of the way to the Sendai ferry port to hop on an overnight ferry up the east coast to Tomakomai in Hokkaido.
- There was no English speaking staff on-board and not many other passengers so I spent most of the evening in the cabin reading while trying weird drinks I had found in vending machines.
- The ferry went through a thunderstorm with strong winds and high waves in the middle of the night. Interesting experience to wake up at 1AM to what feels like lying down in a roller coaster :D
- Took a highway bus to Sapporo in the morning and dumped my bags in a coin locker at the station since it was too early to check in.

- Hopped on a local train out to Futomi Station and walked the ~3.5 kilometers to Sweden Hills and back to take some photos for fellow Swedes to enjoy.
- Went back to Sapporo and chilled at The Royal Park Canvas with the Sapporo TV Tower right outside my window.

- Flew from Sapporo to Kobe with Skymark, which felt like really good value given how much luggage they included at only a marginally higher price than a Peach ticket would have cost.
- Took the Port Liner to Kobe and then some train to Osaka.
- Found a very nice trattoria in the basement of the Namba City mall. Sometimes you just want a good Carbonara.

- Apparently missed out on experiencing a small earthquake according to my friends in the Tokyo area as I didn't head east until the day after :(
- Took the shinkansen back to Tokyo (with some ok pictures of Mt Fuji) to just wander around shops and chill before hopping on the monorail to Haneda and flying back to Europe over the north pole.

After all the comments about how difficult the train stations could be I found them surprisingly easy to navigate. Maybe it's just because I had low expectations :shrug:
Not being able to talk to most people was the main drawback of an otherwise fun first solo visit. Will probably return in a year or two once I have learned more of the language, possibly with some friends or siblings in tow.