Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

need the fix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Let's not.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

A bunch of the people I follow have created accounts on cohost.org. it's pretty feature light but it's basically how I use twitter anyway.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

DO NOT DO THIS.

You can potentially lose unlimited amounts of money. Ask the hedge fund that went under shorting GameStop in 2021.

Yeah unless you have unlimited amounts of money or you know what you're doing I would highly advise against even touching put options

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

MikeJF posted:

It's a pity that Mastodon's not gonna work out for reasons lots of people have said already; if there was an obvious successor that wasn't fundamentally flawed it'd be a go-er but there's just too many issues with Mastodon's structure for it to become the new twitter.

There was never going to be a new Twitter because Twitter is a failure. It doesn’t make money, so no one’s going to replicate it.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

There was never going to be a new Twitter because Twitter is a failure. It doesn’t make money, so no one’s going to replicate it.

If Twitter is a failure, then why would someone buy it for 44 billion dollars??? Checkmate

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

DO NOT DO THIS.

You can potentially lose unlimited amounts of money. Ask the hedge fund that went under shorting GameStop in 2021.

you can lose unlimited money selling puts, not buying them. buying them you just lose what you paid for them, which you will since you are not smarter than the market makers

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Doctor: I'm happy to report that we were able to remove the brain tumor.

Patient: so what is my new tumor going to be

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

I joined a couple of different topically-focused Mastodon instances, and I think I like that waaaay better than I ever did Twitter. A lot of the accounts I followed on Twitter were mainly talking about the same spectrum of topics, but it was all punctuated by unwanted algorithmic suggestions, hopelessly vapid "thought leaders," and rage-bait trending assholes like Trump and Elon. Flipping back and forth between the local feeds of the more focused instances feels like it has a much better signal-to-noise ratio so far.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Well it's got incredible value in non-direct-monetary way that are still exploitable, especially if it was controlled by someone both unethical and competent. Fortunately it's only controlled by someone unethical.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/transscribe/status/1589818752014508032?s=20&t=iglchFPjp4N6YtPKbQCkHA

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If we were in the CIA golden years they'd be launching their own secretly CIA-owned-and-controlled twitter replacement! But they're just a shadow of their former selves now. PFFFFFT. Barely toppling regimes these days.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Mastedon is the nft to twitters bitcoin

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it's been 12 hours and i'm still reeling over "Masterbatedone"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

That DICK! posted:

Look, are you a mastodon or a mastodon't

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

morningdrew posted:

in your face, Door dash

i'm moving to the walmart app

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Mastodon seems nice, better than Twitter and Facebook at least.

At least I know I'll always have my 17 year old forum account to fall back on.

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

istewart posted:

I joined a couple of different topically-focused Mastodon instances, and I think I like that waaaay better than I ever did Twitter. A lot of the accounts I followed on Twitter were mainly talking about the same spectrum of topics, but it was all punctuated by unwanted algorithmic suggestions, hopelessly vapid "thought leaders," and rage-bait trending assholes like Trump and Elon. Flipping back and forth between the local feeds of the more focused instances feels like it has a much better signal-to-noise ratio so far.

I just tried to download Mastodon and i'm literally just trying to find a server for cute animals and another one for jokes. I cannot find either. The servers all seem to be named random letters and when I put cat or bunny into search it finds the suggestion of such a thing completely ludicrous.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Woke up, had some coffee mixed with Ben & Jerry and now I'm ready to face the day.
Did anything interesting happen while I slept?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i searched for a humor / shiposting mastodon instance a while back and the only one i found with a significant number of users turned out to be a kiwifarms adjacent hate speech server :whitewater:

guess i'll continue clinging to these forums for dear life as the only funny, general purpose social media place worth posting. and discord for games and niche interests i guess.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

By popular demand posted:

Woke up, had some coffee mixed with Ben & Jerry and now I'm ready to face the day.

I realized my driver's license expired

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Yeah unless you have unlimited amounts of money or you know what you're doing I would highly advise against even touching put options

Aren't you thinking of Shorts? I thought with puts and similar options worst case scenario you just leave the option unexercised, which means you're out the fee or premium or whatever

but the reason I was asking in the first place is because I don't know fuckin poo poo so I'm probs wrong

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Nah you were pretty still the whole time

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

You can switch to another instance later if you really want to and find one you like. The server doesnt matter much.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Cool. How is the guild housing

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
from browsing it Cohost seems much better than Mastadon in that it's way easier to use and you can read people's feeds without being a member.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

That DICK! posted:

Mastodoes what twitton't

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Going to be rough for those who get married or divorced and not being able to change names.

Good things companies never have t-
https://twitter.com/GriffinWB/status/1589819808610422784

Hah!

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

are vampires allowed to drink coffee?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Strong Sauce posted:

Not if they're Mormon

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Strong Sauce posted:

Vampires aren't real, silly.
Next you'll tell me you also believe in the boogieman and Steven Bannon.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

The Fattest PI posted:

Aren't you thinking of Shorts? I thought with puts and similar options worst case scenario you just leave the option unexercised, which means you're out the fee or premium or whatever

but the reason I was asking in the first place is because I don't know fuckin poo poo so I'm probs wrong

Probably which is why I'm not in finance! :haw:

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://twitter.com/drmistercody/status/1589797332421607427

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/transscribe/status/1589818752014508032?s=46&t=rFBOuLEwow01DWGW3q-90g

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

The rare musk W over the kind of twitter media dork who puts boo in their name for Halloween

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Garrand posted:

A bunch of the people I follow have created accounts on cohost.org. it's pretty feature light but it's basically how I use twitter anyway.

Cohost had a poo poo TOS that says that they own copyright of whatever you put there.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

How has Musk not rambled about some blockchain scheme he made up to fix twitter

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Twincityhacker posted:

Cohost had a poo poo TOS that says that they own copyright of whatever you put there.

doesn't twitter?

like isn't that boilerplate for all social media websites

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
How does a "topic focused mastodon server" differ from, say, discord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Just noticed that my driver's license number has "8008" in it. Fukc yeah