Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Lord of Pie posted:

Ted Cruz being so widely disliked that he lost Texas' claim to melted cheese

Especially ironic seeing as I think he is about 1/4 melted cheese by volume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Weka posted:

These dudes are apparently the biggest manufacturer of transformers in Europe and one of the 10 biggest in the world, so I guess that's a good thing for Ukraine's ability to repair their grid.

Only if it's in working order. From a quick search, the factory isn't small so it could get bombed by various means.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Weka posted:

Especially ironic seeing as I think he is about 1/4 melted cheese by volume.

Now I'm imagining a big animate bowl of queso with James Adomian's "TED CRUZ!!!" voice.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.wsj.com/articles/ukrain...nse-11667579127

quote:

A good idea months ago would have been pushing aside Russia’s gossamer, largely hypothetical military blockade of Ukraine’s ports. The West finally had a chance this week when Vladimir Putin sought to revive the illusion of a blockade in Western minds by backing out of a U.N.-sponsored grain-shipping agreement. Result: He climbed down when other parties decided the ships would sail anyway.

Lesson: Pay due regard to Mr. Putin’s well-honed capacity for retreat.

quote:

Mr. Biden perplexingly also suggested that any use of a nuclear weapon must lead to Armageddon. In reality, nobody is obliged to do any particular thing if Russia were to detonate a nuke in Ukraine. And depending on the details, the right response might be to keep on keeping on. That said, while interpreting Mr. Biden remarks is risky, he may have sent a useful signal to Mr. Putin that, no, detonating a nuke won’t get you negotiations on terms you will like.

Mr. Putin’s situation is not Hitler’s; invading armies aren’t laying waste to his country, looking to drag him back to Stalin for interrogation and show trial.

Ukraine understandably might wish to see Russia transformed, broken up, subjected to a revolution—but a Ukrainian army won’t be rolling into Moscow to make it happen.

Nothing in the present scenario points to nuclear war between superpowers as much as many find it useful to invoke the risk of nuclear war as negotiations begin to shimmer in the distance.

quote:

Perhaps less than serendipitously, a fairly conventional new history of the Cuban missile crisis by Max Hastings has been landing in pundit inboxes. Spare a moment for last year’s account of the same episode by Ukrainian historian Serhii Plokhy. It contains a fetching account of dealings between Bobby Kennedy and the KGB’s Yuri Barsukov

The book shows, with accidents and confusion happening all around them, the protagonists still trying to understand each other’s political needs as the missile crisis unfolded. Recall that Kennedy controlled the war decision, with his threat of invading Cuba, at a time when he knew the U.S. possessed overwhelming nuclear superiority.

Kennedy wanted to avoid nuclear war as much as Khrushchev did, but still nuclear war was a more plausible option for one party than it is for either today.

Of course, the big lacuna in deterrence theory is how to deter the idiot or, say, the leader who badly understands his own position. In ways we may never know, Mr. Putin’s blunder in Ukraine might even be a lucky break for the world at a time when Xi Jinping is seizing total power in China and is mouthing threats about Taiwan.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Holman Jenkins
Columnist and Editorial Board Member, The Wall Street Journal
Business and Finance, Opinion and Editorial
As seen in: The Wall Street Journal, Fox News, Yahoo, Yahoo Finance, RealClear Politics, The Australian, HotAir, Genetic Literacy Project, Postimees, Energy Central, RealClear Markets and more

Holman W. Jenkins Jr. is a member of the editorial board of The Wall Street Journal. He writes the twice-weekly “Business World” column that appears on the paper's op-ed page on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Mr. Jenkins joined the Journal in May 1992 as a writer for the editorial page in New York. In February 1994, he moved to Hong Kong as editor of The Asian Wall Street Journal's editorial page.

This guy is seriously connected.

Almost as if he has deep... ties. To something. Some sort of state of being perhaps.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

send that guy to the frontlines

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

CODChimera posted:

send that guy to the frontlines

This but in the form of one of those comedy game shows where they wake the contestent up in a re-creation of their bedroom in front of a live studio audience.

Exactly that, but the frontline of Ukraine in his silk pyjamas holding a toothbrush.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ardennes posted:

It honestly looks like civilians, I don't think it particularly puts the situation in a great light.

Ah, but didn't you know. All the civilians in Kherson are actually Russian soldiers in disguise.

Little poo poo whose upper class parents were kids when Communism fell: Let me tell you about my lived experience under Stalin.

PawParole posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/uamemesforces/status/1589647639678971906

It’s funny because Putin’s original goal was to do in Ukraine what America did in Iraq, set up a unpopular widely despised government, hold a few “purple finger” referendums and leave behind troops to maintain it.

The Russian army sucking so hard is what caused the announcements that they were annexing territories.

Not even sure that was the plan. When they rolled over Georgia they didn't really leave any occupation troops behind after Saakashvily hosed off. Neither did they set up a new government.

V. Illych L. posted:

this was the last major world conflict i recall where norwegian mainstream news covered it in a reasonably enlightening way. it was pretty clear from norwegian state broadcaster coverage that this was a border where there'd been tensions for a while, but the georgians had decided to settle the issue by military force and that ended up backfiring spectacularly

Our state broadcaster still has like one older guy who actually spent a lot of time in Ukraine and tends to push back against the worst bullshit, but once he retires there'll be no unbroken brains left in the whole organization.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
I saw a Ukrainian flag graffiti this weekend with what looked like bleeding bullet holes and I couldn't tell if it was pro or anti Ukraine.

genericnick posted:

Not even sure that was the plan. When they rolled over Georgia they didn't really leave any occupation troops behind after Saakashvily hosed off. Neither did they set up a new government.

They annexed Crimea in 2014.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

gradenko_2000 posted:

if we're doing food chat, what is a Ukrainian dish that one could try to make?

Ukrainian family recipe:

Step 1. Chop and fry two onions and a garlic bulb
Step 2. Decide what you're going to cook

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Frosted Flake posted:

I was thinking about a good way to explain what happened in terms readily comparable to the English-speaking world and I think I have one.

It's like understanding "Cuban" by looking at Cubans in Florida OP.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Eastern Europeans seem to be a bunch of petulant, murderous children, so this rings true.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Armadillo Tank posted:

every time i hear about that stupid bullshit i remember waking up at 5:00 AM hearing about georgian rocket arty firing and other attacks on headline news

9:00 AM every loving news site was saying the russians started it

Just a little gaslighting, as foreign policy.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Eastern Europeans seem to be a bunch of petulant, murderous children, so this rings true.

i know an orc when I see one

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

max Hastings has a new book?!?!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

max Hastings has a new book?!?!

"The Abyss: Nuclear Crisis Cuba 1962"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lmao I love that tory dweeb’s books. you can hear his teeth grinding through the pages when communists do something good. I can’t wait to read how Britain actually won the missile crisis

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lmao I love that tory dweeb’s books. you can hear his teeth grinding through the pages when communists do something good. I can’t wait to read how Britain actually won the missile crisis

tangentially Antony Beevor also has a new book on the Russian Civil War

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Nothing to see here, just the Guardian reporting approvingly on the drive to eliminate Russian culture from Ukraine:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/nov/07/kyiv-ukrainians-culture-war-russian-decolonisation

Not included in the article: any acknowledgment that approximately a quarter of Ukrainians speak Russian as their first language, or how this drive might influence their opinions on whether they have any future in Ukraine as things currently stand.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pistol_Pete posted:

Nothing to see here, just the Guardian reporting approvingly on the drive to eliminate Russian culture from Ukraine:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/nov/07/kyiv-ukrainians-culture-war-russian-decolonisation

Not included in the article: any acknowledgment that approximately a quarter of Ukrainians speak Russian as their first language, or how this drive might influence their opinions on whether they have any future in Ukraine as things currently stand.

quote:

Tchaikovsky himself was not only long dead, but had been an outsider and an internationalist – so the various arguments went. It took some careful explanation to convey that a piece of music glorifying Russian military achievements, and involving actual cannons, might be somewhere beyond poor taste when Russia was at that moment shelling Ukrainian cities – particularly when the families of orchestra members were directly affected.

"Tchaikovsky's music referenced cannons, and cannons were being shot at Ukraine" - what a loving child!

quote:

In fact, such moments have been rare in western Europe. Chekhov and Lermontov continue to be read and Mussorgsky to be performed. Russian culture has not been “cancelled” as Putin claims, and Russian-born musicians and dancers with international careers continue to perform in the west – assuming they have offered a minimum of public deprecation of the killing and destruction being visited on Ukraine.

"people are not cancelled as long as they toe the line. this is not canceling"

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
How do you 'decolonise' your nation from Russian culture, when 14 million of your citizens speak Russian as their first language? Better not think too carefully about what that would involve, hey?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

Pierogis. Fried potato pancakes.

That's a latke

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

tangentially Antony Beevor also has a new book on the Russian Civil War

haven’t read it and never will, but I’m going to predict that he goes on at length about how the inhumane terrorist red guard cruelly murdered the political and spiritual visionary leader roman von ungern-sternberg.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Pistol_Pete posted:

what was that phrase again. cultural g-something-or-other?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

It is almost a shock to return to the UK and hear Russian music blithely played on Radio 3.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Pistol_Pete posted:

quote:

The context for this rejection has to be understood, though: Ukrainians are emerging from a history in which the Russian empire, and then the Soviet Union, actively and often violently suppressed Ukrainian art. This has worked in a number of different ways. It has included the absorption of numerous Ukrainian artists and writers into the Russian centre (such as Nikolai Gogol, or Mykola Hohol in Ukrainian), and the misclassifying of hundreds of artists as Russian when they could arguably be better described as Ukrainian (such as the painter Kazimir Malevich, who was Kyiv-born but Russian, according to the Tate).

Not sure that 'becoming one of the most celebrated and famous writers by a different and much larger linguistic and literary tradition' is a good example of your native art being violently suppressed

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

quote:

such as Nikolai Gogol, or Mykola Hohol in Ukrainian

“mykola hohol” sounds like a slur from pro-russian telegram channels

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

interesting that after England invaded the USA the USA did not try to exterminate English culture from America

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Lesson from Cuban Missile Crisis: Don't try to put missile bases near a Great Power.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Al-Saqr posted:

lol the Europeans all voted against a resolution that combats glorifying Nazism

https://twitter.com/azgeopolitics/status/1588823759640666112?s=46&t=XL4fulbwyU6CWh7zGu5zHw

Same vote in 2018, for reference:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Who are the Chinese communists in this brilliant metaphor?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/formulating-plans-for-a-new-iraq/IY4HUT3LCTJ5JL5WNVNCCTQLDU/

okay so the US was not going to annex Iraq, it was just going to do... that

and never mind that this meme both acts as American imperial apologia, while also making it sound like Russia's invasion of Ukraine was all fine-and-dandy right up until Putin used the a-word

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

"Tchaikovsky's music referenced cannons, and cannons were being shot at Ukraine" - what a loving child!

Err Tchaikovsky doesn't reference cannons, the 1812 overture's finale is meant to be played using cannonfire as one of the instruments. Because Russians know how to celebrate a military victory over foreign invaders, in this case Napoleon and his Grande Armee.

If Ukraine drives out the Russian invaders, they better bring their loving a-game for the celebration afterwards or they will suffer a moral loss in the third half imo.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1589859234484977665

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
It's a very good opportunity to shift the proceeds of Ukraine's endemic corruption from Democratic failchildren to Republican failchildren.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

if there were huge American populations in some of the provinces of Iraq, the USA would have annexed them

I mean the closer analogy is Texas not Iraq

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
I like how being born after the fall of communism means you still had first hand experience with it, kinda like how Gen X survived the blitz.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
lmfao, world famous ukranian writer Mykola Hohol

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

christ this dense motherfucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

euphronius posted:

I mean the closer analogy is Texas not Iraq

thinking of some weird fictional timeline where Texas stayed a republic or seceded and the US invaded to danizify Texas