Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Encore is a great place to start and it's super cool that Baratza sells all the parts for them so you can keep 'em running as long as you care to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

After 10 years refurbished my Encore destroyed itself and they fixed it in a week.

It was $40-85 (can’t remember had to google), came with all new motor and gearbox, and was fantastic. If I wanted to do it myself all of the parts were available as well.

It may be pricy but you can have it forever with minimal repairs once a decade or so. I’ve expanded into the stupid espresso game and even then the Encore always has room on my bench for when I want drip. I see no reasonable upgrade path.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Went from loudest grinder possible (Baratza Sette) and a middling Capresso, to two of the quietest things on the market in a Niche and Ode.

The Ode is also crazy fast. Its done grinding 20g of coffee before I can even manage to get a single filter out of the box by itself and folded. I had no idea it was that quick before I bought it.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

The Ode with stock burrs is fairly quiet, but once you throw some SSPs in there, it turns into a screaming banshee. I almost thought I had left something loose inside after the burr swap, but I guess some burrs are just louder than others.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

You won't be disappointed with the encore. Your eardrums being blown away will wake you right up before making your morning coffee.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My encore + clever dripper setup has been great for 8 years and gotten us through one newborn without a catastrophic coffee failure.

Good beans are such a game changer for drip coffee. The coffee on family trips improved dramatically when I convinced my uncle to try beans from a local roaster instead of the “Black Like Blackbeard’s Beard Coffee For Manly Men” beans for bros.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Gunder posted:

The Ode with stock burrs is fairly quiet, but once you throw some SSPs in there, it turns into a screaming banshee. I almost thought I had left something loose inside after the burr swap, but I guess some burrs are just louder than others.

The Gen2 burrs are still pretty quiet compared to what I am used to. I never tried it with the Gen1 burrs before installing the Gen2s.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Bandire posted:

Went from loudest grinder possible (Baratza Sette) and a middling Capresso, to two of the quietest things on the market in a Niche and Ode.

The Ode is also crazy fast. Its done grinding 20g of coffee before I can even manage to get a single filter out of the box by itself and folded. I had no idea it was that quick before I bought it.

An Ode is what I ended up deciding on to replace my Encore (rather than replacing the burrs) and it's out for delivery today. I'm very excited! The Encore takes a good minute and a half to grind my daily 40g and I can't wait to see how much faster the Ode is.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Democratic Pirate posted:

My encore + clever dripper setup has been great for 8 years and gotten us through one newborn without a catastrophic coffee failure.

Good beans are such a game changer for drip coffee. The coffee on family trips improved dramatically when I convinced my uncle to try beans from a local roaster instead of the “Black Like Blackbeard’s Beard Coffee For Manly Men” beans for bros.

Really in order of importance

Beans >> grinder >>>> technique >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> machine/method

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Gunder posted:

that does seem weird, in my df64 they aren't noticeably louder than the default ones unless they're so close they're contacting each other

i'm sure the Ode starts off at a lot quieter baseline but it's surprising that burr geometry alone would be enough to make a huge noise diff

eke out fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 4, 2022

Gunder
May 22, 2003

eke out posted:

that does seem weird, in my df64 they aren't noticeably louder than the default ones unless they're so close they're contacting each other

i'm sure the Ode starts off at a lot quieter baseline but it's surprising that burr geometry alone would be enough to make a huge noise diff

I think Fellow put up a comparison chart that mentioned noise level measured in dB across the Gen1, Gen2 and SSP burrs. The SSP were the loudest by a long way.

Edit: The burr page on Fellow's site specifically mentions the burr geometry of the SSP burrs generating a higher pitch sound.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 4, 2022

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Gunder posted:

I think Fellow put up a comparison chart that mentioned noise level measured in dB across the Gen1, Gen2 and SSP burrs. The SSP were the loudest by a long way.

Edit: The burr page on Fellow's site specifically mentions the burr geometry of the SSP burrs generating a higher pitch sound.

yeah i found some other people talking about the same thing, it does just sound crazy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix4ZpeLb_sg

but working as intended apparently

Gunder
May 22, 2003

eke out posted:

yeah i found some other people talking about the same thing, it does just sound crazy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix4ZpeLb_sg

but working as intended apparently

lol yeah, that's exactly what mine sounds like.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Gunder posted:

lol yeah, that's exactly what mine sounds like.

That sounds insanely like chirp from the burrs contacting each other doesn't it?

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
I want to get my in-laws some decent coffee for the holidays, as they enjoy it when they can but can't afford it and use Aldi beans. My MIL likes on a coffee, but none of the roasters I typically order from have it. Anyone know a good online retailer for that, or what more readily available beans would e similar to that?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

That sounds insanely like chirp from the burrs contacting each other doesn't it?

Yeah, it scared me the first time it happened, but they’re definitely not touching.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Do any espresso goons have a recommended levelling tamper?

I'm still using the tamper that came with our Appartamento. It's OK but actually slightly too small so you get some grinds that sit up the rim of the basket. Figure if I replace it I may as well get a levelling one that fits perfectly.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Red_Fred posted:

I'm still using the tamper that came with our Appartamento. It's OK but actually slightly too small so you get some grinds that sit up the rim of the basket. Figure if I replace it I may as well get a levelling one that fits perfectly.

Someone way back recommended this Normcore tamper. I bought one on their review and really like it. Helps to be more consistent at the very least.

Normcore 58.5mm Coffee Tamper V4 - Spring-loaded Tamper with 15lb / 25lb / 30lbs Replacement Springs - Anodized Aluminum Handle and Stand - Stainless Steel Flat Base https://a.co/d/9kIryM5

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I recently got that Normcore as well, not 100% on if it fits my needs yet but very solid build quality for the price.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

If you wanna go crazy and google around (Etsy probably too) there are people who will make you a tamper that exactly fits your individual basket (not just the manufacturer standard sizes)

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Does anybody have a recommendation for a milk frother?

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I have this thing and really like it. I use it every day. Some of them have minimum milk amounts, but this one does just fine for one drink.

AEVO Milk Frothing Machine https://a.co/d/fAG8Jcf

I think Breville makes a good one too.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Dark horse is the bellman Stovetop

It's a expensive unitasker, but it's good

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Cool, thanks.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

nanofoamer works pretty well, in terms of purely-mechanical designs that don't do any heating

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
I'm looking to upgrade my electric kettle to something with a gooseneck and temperature control. After doing some research I feel like I'm at the point where I'd have to be talked out of the Stagg EKG. Anyone have any reason to look elsewhere? The Hario one looks nice but appears to not be sold in the US market at the moment? I split my coffee making between an aeropress where I've been skating by with a cheap kettle, and a hario switch I got recently and want to play around with as a pour over.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like my Stagg EKG a lot but I don't think I'd pay $160 for a kettle. I got it as a gift but if I was buying one today it's be the OXO.

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Adjustab...c0-4513d670b6bc

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Nov 6, 2022

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

adebisi lives posted:

I'm looking to upgrade my electric kettle to something with a gooseneck and temperature control. After doing some research I feel like I'm at the point where I'd have to be talked out of the Stagg EKG. Anyone have any reason to look elsewhere? The Hario one looks nice but appears to not be sold in the US market at the moment? I split my coffee making between an aeropress where I've been skating by with a cheap kettle, and a hario switch I got recently and want to play around with as a pour over.

The Stagg only pours very very slowly, which is fine if you will ever only be using it for pour overs, but a pain if you want to use it as a general kettle, or drink a lot of tea.

It's also very expensive. I went for a Hario without temp control because I don't think that is actually very useful at all, which helps a lot with the cost. It pours well and can do so rather quickly too if I want it to.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I have this Cosori kettle.

COSORI Electric Kettle Gooseneck https://a.co/d/7wLYLvs

Its $70 and kind of a middle ground. It has 5 static preset temperature targets and pours fine for doing Clever. That's really all I use it for, and it does a good enough job to where I don't feel compelled to spend more.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I have one of those limited edition colors of the Stagg EKG and also a regular electric kettle. My normie wife absolutely refuses to use the EKG because it’s so slow for everything. I sadly concur.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Yeah, we have 2 kettles in my house. A Stagg for pour-overs and a Sage/Breville smart kettle (you can set different water temps) for everything else.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Vegetable posted:

I have one of those limited edition colors of the Stagg EKG and also a regular electric kettle. My normie wife absolutely refuses to use the EKG because it’s so slow for everything. I sadly concur.

That's been my experience with adjustable kettles generally, yeah. They're slow to heat because they have to fiddle around at a particular temp, compared to a regular kettle that's going to crank the heat to max and keep it there until the water boils.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Stagg EKG heats up very fast. He means it pours water slowly but that is how it is designed.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Yeah, that’s what I meant. It’s the pouring speed, not the boiling speed that’s a problem with the EKG.

Our electric kettle is actually adjustable temp as well. There are six preset temperatures you can choose from and it covers pretty much every tea and coffee use case. More functional, pours quicker. Only thing it fails at is aesthetics since the EKG looks so good.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I have a $100, 1.7L Cuisinart with :airquote: temperature control :airquote:

It works great but since I use it to preheat my Flair brew head using the steam, I only use the Boil button. That setting will come to boil, then drop over a minute to around 185°F, then repeat. So it's very important if you're using one of those to use the water immediately after the beep, even if you're not going for hot as hell light roast manual espresso. The temp drop won't be so drastic if your target is 190 and you use within 10 seconds but any amount of inconsistency will drive you bonkers

I've found I can hit 190 in the brew head pretty consistently by boiling, after the beep setting a 30 second timer, assembling the Flair, then going when the timer ends. Confirmed using a thermapen to get the time down so now I can just go by time

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 6, 2022

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

hey y’all, i need help troubleshooting pressure on my bes920xl

i just cleaned my machine, new filter. i pulled two or three shots, and now the pressure only gets up to 4.5-5 bars max. i tried two different beans, two different grind settings (smart grinder pro), and backflushing, and it’s still at half pressure when pulling a shot. any ideas on what to try next?

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I have an old Nuova Simonelli Oscar 1 espresso machine that I have been using. One day it started popping the GFCI in the kitchen. I have been having fun taking it apart as it breaks down, however, it's fall here and I want some lattes back in my life. I Finally got it torn apart and pulled out the heating element. I found a pinhole in the element, which in my mind means that it is bad, however it still tests good on my multimeter. It is a 1200 watt element and should therefore be in the neighborhood of 11.5ohms. Correct me if I am wrong.

Can I assume once that element fills with water from the pinhole that bad things happen causing it to short and trip the outlet?

Secondly, while it is apart I'd like to install some pressure/temp gauges into it and an over pressure valve. Has anyone done this here with generic parts and if so can you direct me to some links? I have been ordering stuff from espressoparts but this machine is so old they don't offer a ton of stuff specifically for it.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

ThirstyBuck posted:

Can I assume once that element fills with water from the pinhole that bad things happen causing it to short and trip the outlet?
More or less; the hole in the housing lets water get in and contact the wire inside that carries the current, which lets electricity go places it's not supposed to thus tripping the GFCI.

ThirstyBuck posted:

Secondly, while it is apart I'd like to install some pressure/temp gauges into it and an over pressure valve. Has anyone done this here with generic parts and if so can you direct me to some links? I have been ordering stuff from espressoparts but this machine is so old they don't offer a ton of stuff specifically for it.
The Oscar already has an OPV, it looks like this and can be found on page 5 of the exploded diagram (which can also be found on this site): https://www.partstown.com/nuova-simonelli-usa/NUOV98013021. Is there a specific problem you're trying to solve, aside from the ground fault? You might be able to DIY up a brew pressure gauge, but it's a HX machine so a temperature gauge won't tell you anything that the ready light isn't already.

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

Pixel pusher and game maker.

bredfrown posted:

Good to hear!

I've got a scale on the way.

Thank you so much! :)

Just a quick little update from me: that scale made a major improvement to my coffee. I've been able to dial it in exactly, and every cup I've had has been delicious and consistent.

I would like to pick up an Encore at some point, but I think I'll take hypnophant's advice and pick up a refurb from Baratza (I'm in no hurry).

Thanks, everyone! :)

bredfrown fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Nov 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

One of us one of us