Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

Like if anything the problem with Disney SW to date has been the excessive reverence and treating franchise nostalgia as a sacred thing.

One of the main characters is a fascist incel cop who has a toy doll collection of Imperial figures and lives with his mom.

The show isn't a fanboy wankfest, but (among many things) a response to fans fetishization of it's fascist elements and Disney's softening of those attributes. The showrunner/writer Tony Gilroy doesn't identify as a fan of Star Wars and the creation of the show was a cosmic accident that started with him being brought in as a fixer for Rogue One, later submitting an outline for Andor that wasn't touched until 2 failed Andor pilots were made and abandoned, with Disney eventually just giving him everything he wanted and going hands off on production.

It's different, its own thing, and it's amazing for it. Not to say that the show isn't faithful to Lucas' intent, but the opposite; the latest arc even draws heavily from THX 1138.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Nov 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Maxwell Lord posted:

See to me a Star Wars that isn’t at least some part cheesy swashbuckling nonsense is missing the entire point.

Ok. No one is making you watch it. Lol

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah but you can’t just take out the Flash Gordon stuff any more than you can take out the Kurosawa influences. I’ll get around to the show but the people talking it up keep acting like it’s an inherently good thing for this goofy kid’s stuff to finally be Taken Seriously and that attitude rarely leads somewhere good.

Like if anything the problem with Disney SW to date has been the excessive reverence and treating franchise nostalgia as a sacred thing.

Yeah, to me, it's like when Disney tried to convince people that the MCU could encompass just about every genre under the sun, with the end result being every genre getting ground into comedy-action-adventure paste. Even if Andor's a good show (it might be, I haven't watched it), incorporating the stuff of political thrillers into a hermetic fantasy universe meant for kids does a lot more to diminish the politics than it does to mature the kids' stuff.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Black Lighter posted:

Yeah, to me, it's like when Disney tried to convince people that the MCU could encompass just about every genre under the sun, with the end result being every genre getting ground into comedy-action-adventure paste. Even if Andor's a good show (it might be, I haven't watched it), incorporating the stuff of political thrillers into a hermetic fantasy universe meant for kids does a lot more to diminish the politics than it does to mature the kids' stuff.

For a fantasy universe meant for kids Star Wars' production design always tried to read as real and lived in, Andor uses that setting for a political thriller played completely straight. Tonally it's closer to Michael Clayton than Winter Soldier, which was more a mix of the MCU paste with just a sprinkle of Sidney Lumet. It works, arguably better than Star Wars with it's vague Vietnam allegory, at creating a mirror of reality than is uncomfortably familiar.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Black Lighter posted:

I think this is extremely reductive. Star Wars isn't a kids fantasy universe. I'm no star wars stan. I can't even watch the og trilogy anymore to be honest. Good or bad, it's always been a serious story about an oppressive, physically violent empire being upended by a guerrilla rebellion. There is some camp in there and characters that allow kids to latch onto it... But I mean it's got a real expansive story and cool sci Fi universe to it.

And to finally have a show that doesn't feel like it has to wink wink nudge nudge stupid "did you get it?" References down your throat is refreshing.

It's just a story taking place in a vast universe. No shoving in of references and just groan worthy cringe poo poo like "This is the Way" from the Mandalorian

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Nov 8, 2022

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

SCheeseman posted:

It's different, its own thing, and it's amazing for it. Not to say that the show isn't faithful to Lucas' intent, but the opposite; the latest arc even draws heavily from THX 1138.

That was my first feeling when setting the latest arc, but does this mean we get an American graffiti finale arc for andor?

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

SCheeseman posted:

For a fantasy universe meant for kids Star Wars' production design always tried to read as real and lived in, Andor uses that setting for a political thriller played completely straight. Tonally it's closer to Michael Clayton than Winter Soldier, which was more a mix of the MCU paste with just a sprinkle of Sidney Lumet. It works, arguably better than Star Wars with it's vague Vietnam allegory, at creating a mirror of reality than is uncomfortably familiar.

Like I said, it might be a good show - Tony Gilroy's a smart filmmaker, so I have no trouble believing that he could carve out a success within the limited space afforded by Disney's IP portfolio. Even if it is, tho, the fact that it does take place within a fantasy universe takes a lot of the bite out of the politics because it adds so much distance between anything that happens in the show and recognizable reality; it diminishes any genuine relevance that it might have.

Then there's the fact that it is part of Disney's IP portfolio, and basically functions as a savvy bit of brand management. Even if this show is smart and well-made, if everything Disney has done over the last twenty years is an indicator, it's just opening the door for them to further colonize every other kind of movie or show and grind them into paste. Like, I'm not interested in a media landscape where we get a Star Wars political thriller and a Star Wars romantic comedy and a Star Wars horror movie, no matter how good or bad any individual entry in that lineup might be, because it all blends together into one homogeneous, corporate, 'family-friendly' mass.

If it was 2002, and it was easier to find mainstream movies and shows that weren't exercises in IP management, I might feel different; but it's 2022, and Andor just seems completely interchangeable with the Star Wars product that preceded it and the Star Wars product that'll follow it. Because once you get past the particulars, it pretty much is.

"BonoMan posted:

I think this is extremely reductive. Star Wars isn't a kids fantasy universe. I'm no star wars stan. I can't even watch the og trilogy anymore to be honest. Good or bad, it's always been a serious story about an oppressive, physically violent empire being upended by a guerrilla rebellion.

I mean, that could just as easily describe Robin Hood, but that doesn't mean the version where he's a fox isn't for kids. Star Wars is mostly lighthearted fantasy adventure with anything genuinely adult sanded away; hell, it's expressly modeled on the children's serials Lucas grew up with. The fact that it's about a ragtag crew overthrowing an evil ruler doesn't make it any more or less mature.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Black Lighter posted:

Like I said, it might be a good show - Tony Gilroy's a smart filmmaker, so I have no trouble believing that he could carve out a success within the limited space afforded by Disney's IP portfolio. Even if it is, tho, the fact that it does take place within a fantasy universe takes a lot of the bite out of the politics because it adds so much distance between anything that happens in the show and recognizable reality; it diminishes any genuine relevance that it might have.

Then there's the fact that it is part of Disney's IP portfolio, and basically functions as a savvy bit of brand management. Even if this show is smart and well-made, if everything Disney has done over the last twenty years is an indicator, it's just opening the door for them to further colonize every other kind of movie or show and grind them into paste. Like, I'm not interested in a media landscape where we get a Star Wars political thriller and a Star Wars romantic comedy and a Star Wars horror movie, no matter how good or bad any individual entry in that lineup might be, because it all blends together into one homogeneous, corporate, 'family-friendly' mass.

If it was 2002, and it was easier to find mainstream movies and shows that weren't exercises in IP management, I might feel different; but it's 2022, and Andor just seems completely interchangeable with the Star Wars product that preceded it and the Star Wars product that'll follow it. Because once you get past the particulars, it pretty much is.

I mean, that could just as easily describe Robin Hood, but that doesn't mean the version where he's a fox isn't for kids. Star Wars is mostly lighthearted fantasy adventure with anything genuinely adult sanded away; hell, it's expressly modeled on the children's serials Lucas grew up with. The fact that it's about a ragtag crew overthrowing an evil ruler doesn't make it any more or less mature.

"hey I haven't even seen this show but let me present some wild conjecture" is not a good foot to start on.

I'd argue that past a New Hope and the Ewoks in ROTJ. The near entirety of Star Wars after that hasn't been a "kids fantasy universe." And even in New Hope... it's just some campiness. Both prequel and sequel trilogies were pretty straight arrow in tone and so are the Star Wars story movies after that.

I'm not sure why you still insist that it's some kids movies when it's pretty clear it's not.

And Rogue One and Andor aren't like... some genre bending Star Wars additions. It's literally the original rebellion story with a little bit of the campiness edges sanded off.

I also don't understand the critique about being too distant from recognizable reality because... holy poo poo are you aware of the world we're living in? The empire was molded out of our reality and I think a large part of the draw about Andor is that it's *directly* recognizable in our real world now. We're facing down the larger, looming threat of facism from multiple countries around the world, including the US.

It's honestly never been more relevant than it isnow.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I wouldn't mind a Star Wars horror movie.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I don't mind any good star wars and Andor is the good star wars hth

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Black Lighter posted:

Like I said, it might be a good show

Stop analyzing a show you haven't seen, dude. What a ridiculous series of posts.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Also star wars is lil teddy bear people fighting wizards

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Awful lot of hand-wringing over a show you aren't even planning to watch.

"How could fantasy possibly relate to our world?" is one of the dumber complaints about a tv show I've seen.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Lolling at the idea that you just need to "get past the particulars" to identify what art actually is. Only by ignoring it, or not even watching it, can you truly analyze it!!

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

BonoMan posted:

"hey I haven't even seen this show but let me present some wild conjecture" is not a good foot to start on.

I'd argue that past a New Hope and the Ewoks in ROTJ. The near entirety of Star Wars after that hasn't been a "kids fantasy universe." And even in New Hope... it's just some campiness. Both prequel and sequel trilogies were pretty straight arrow in tone and so are the Star Wars story movies after that.

I'm not sure why you still insist that it's some kids movies when it's pretty clear it's not.

And Rogue One and Andor aren't like... some genre bending Star Wars additions. It's literally the original rebellion story with a little bit of the campiness edges sanded off.

I also don't understand the critique about being too distant from recognizable reality because... holy poo poo are you aware of the world we're living in? The empire was molded out of our reality and I think a large part of the draw about Andor is that it's *directly* recognizable in our real world now. We're facing down the larger, looming threat of facism from multiple countries around the world, including the US.

It's honestly never been more relevant than it isnow.

I didn't say anything negative about the show in particular - hell, I even said it's easy to believe that it's good and smart and well-made. But you could drop any movie or show ever made into a fantasy universe and it would lose at least a little bit of relevance; and you could make Citizen Kane or The Godfather or whatever you want in the Star Wars universe, and it would lose something just by being part of the IP production line. And that's especially true now, when so much mainstream film and television is brand-managed fantasy with only tangential connection to our own shared reality.

Like, if Andor has great politics, cool; but a Star Wars show with great politics is, to me, way less interesting than the same narrative taking place in our world and it's inherently way less relevant. Give me something like Z or Battle of Algiers, because they haven't been reduced to allegory by dint of taking place in a galaxy far, far away and the mirror they're using to reflect our world isn't that distant.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Black Lighter posted:

But you could drop any movie or show ever made into a fantasy universe and it would lose at least a little bit of relevance

frankly, that is one of the dumbest ideas about media I've ever read. fantasy is a really common way to frame an allegory.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Fiction, amirite?

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Papercut posted:

Fiction, amirite?

Unlike the completely accurate to the real world tale told by The Godfather. lol

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Black Lighter posted:

But you could drop any movie or show ever made into a fantasy universe and it would lose at least a little bit of relevance; and you could make Citizen Kane or The Godfather or whatever you want in the Star Wars universe, and it would lose something just by being part of the IP production line.

This is among the dumbest things I have ever read on this stupid forum.

"Fantasy erodes the relevance of other genres" is just so so so dumb.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Martman posted:

Lolling at the idea that you just need to "get past the particulars" to identify what art actually is. Only by ignoring it, or not even watching it, can you truly analyze it!!

Sorry I'm not brand loyal enough to check out Star Wars Product #957, but I don't actually need to in order to talk about how the fantasy IP mill diminishes even quality work done within it. If you like your space wizard shows, go ahead and like them, but don't pretend that even the best of them are ultimately anything but exercises in brand management.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Astonishingly stupid conclusion here coupled with the unearned arrogance when challenged has me feeling 2003 all over again.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Black Lighter posted:

Sorry I'm not brand loyal enough to check out Star Wars Product #957, but I don't actually need to in order to talk about how the fantasy IP mill diminishes even quality work done within it. If you like your space wizard shows, go ahead and like them, but don't pretend that even the best of them are ultimately anything but exercises in brand management.

that's fine, that's why I'm pretty sanguine about not paying to watch it, but that is a much different conclusion then what you said previously. unless you backtracked because you said the stupidest possible thing about fiction.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Astonishingly stupid conclusion here coupled with the unearned arrogance when challenged has me feeling 2003 all over again.

yeah lol

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Black Lighter posted:

And that's especially true now, when so much mainstream film and television is brand-managed fantasy with only tangential connection to our own shared reality.

Like, if Andor has great politics, cool; but a Star Wars show with great politics is, to me, way less interesting than the same narrative taking place in our world and it's inherently way less relevant. Give me something like Z or Battle of Algiers, because they haven't been reduced to allegory by dint of taking place in a galaxy far, far away and the mirror they're using to reflect our world isn't that distant.

I normally agree with the brand managed part. I actually don't like what Disney has done with Star Wars for the most part because of that. It feels very sterile and micro managed at times.

Which is why I love Andor so much. It honestly feels the exact opposite of that. And Tony Gilroy said as such. When making Rogue One, he likened it to the Battle of Britain instead of Star Wars. And even when asked if he'd make more (this was pre-Andor) SW stuff he said probably not because he had nor reverence or care for it.

So naturally that's why it works and feels so un-SW than anything else. I mean hell, the show literally opens with our hero accidentally killing someone then killing a witness - who is begging for his life - just to cover this tracks. It's definitely not the safe clean Star Wars I associate with the other properties.

The fantasy universe does give you a few more rules to play with which keeps things interesting (but nothing too far fetched so it still feels grounded). And combined with an almost BR2049 aesthetic and it all just makes for great TV.

If you can't find a way to enjoy traditional stories in a fictional universe then... yeah I guess it's not for you? Although I would work to try to not limit myself so much if that were the case. You're probably missing out on some really enjoyable things.

Black Lighter posted:

I think you do though. I mean I was normally with you and am enjoying Andor specifically *because* it doesn't feel like brand product #957. And I think a lot of other folks are as well - and even point to that specific reason as to why.

I think that should be enough to give a try or at least admit your pocket flyer for why you don't like SW products might not be applicable here.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 8, 2022

Slowdive
Jun 9, 2016

Black Lighter posted:

but it's 2022, and Andor just seems completely interchangeable with the Star Wars product that preceded it and the Star Wars product that'll follow it. Because once you get past the particulars, it pretty much is.

If you actually, you know, watched it, you'd know that it is absolutely not interchangeable

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

All art made under capitalism is actually just brand management so it sux

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
having a child is just brand management

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

enigmahfc posted:

having a child is just brand management

I would argue it's franchising.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

BonoMan posted:

I normally agree with the brand managed part. I actually don't like what Disney has done with Star Wars for the most part because of that. It feels very sterile and micro managed at times.

Which is why I love Andor so much. It honestly feels the exact opposite of that. And Tony Gilroy said as such. When making Rogue One, he likened it to the Battle of Britain instead of Star Wars. And even when asked if he'd make more (this was pre-Andor) SW stuff he said probably not because he had nor reverence or care for it.

So naturally that's why it works and feels so un-SW than anything else. I mean hell, the show literally opens with our hero accidentally killing someone then killing a witness - who is begging for his life - just to cover this tracks. It's definitely not the safe clean Star Wars I associate with the other properties.

The fantasy universe does give you a few more rules to play with which keeps things interesting (but nothing too far fetched so it still feels grounded). And combined with an almost BR2049 aesthetic and it all just makes for great TV.

If you can't find a way to enjoy traditional stories in a fictional universe then... yeah I guess it's not for you? Although I would work to try to not limit myself so much if that were the case. You're probably missing out on some really enjoyable things.

I think you do though. I mean I was normally with you and am enjoying Andor specifically *because* it doesn't feel like brand product #957. And I think a lot of other folks are as well - and even point to that specific reason as to why.

I think that should be enough to give a try or at least admit your pocket flyer for why you don't like SW products might not be applicable here.

Hey, like I said before, I have no particular issue with the show itself, and I don't have any problem believing that it's good and well-made. This whole tangent started because someone said they were suspicious of all the praise it was getting for being kids' stuff finally taken seriously, and I related it to the way Marvel promoted similar arguments to help them grind everything into content. All I've been saying is that its place within that kind of brand management strategy makes it less appealing and interesting to me, even if it's good.

Similarly, I don't really have anything against fantasy settings in and of themselves. They do make works less immediately relevant just by dint of taking place at a considerable remove from our reality, but that's not even an inherently bad thing, because there are way more criteria by which you can judge or enjoy a work than just immediate relevance - it's not really that big a deal.

To me, it only becomes an issue in a context when it's the almost the only thing mainstream studios produce and promote, because the fantasy settings of Star Wars or the MCU or any of the franchises are part and parcel of the brand management. It allows the studios to sand away any sense of cultural specificity and create shows and movies that don't reflect anything about the world in which they're produced except in the most tangential ways, while trademarking every stray bit of scenery for merchandise. So, to me, a show made within that framework - even one that kicks and pushes against and tries to subvert it - is inherently less interesting than something that takes place in our world. It's not that I think fantasy settings themselves somehow render a show or movie invalid; it's that the way fantasy settings are used in the current media landscape do a lot to diminish even quality work. Like I said, Andor might be a really well-made show; but its position within the IP mill makes it a lot less interesting to me,

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

These posts are emblematic of poorly maintained brand management.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The trick is to not be fooled by branding. Despite being 'set in the star wars universe' or whatever, Andor is a superior TV version of Denis Villeneuve's Blade Runner 2.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I hate to interrupt this guys incredibly stupid discussion about not watching Andor (which owns everyone watch Andor) but I went to the Regal Mystery Monday movie yesterday which happened to be Apple+'s new christmas movie "Spirited" starring will ferrel and ryan reynolds and it was good. will ferrell christmas movies don't miss.

also its part of the scrooge cinematic universe and is good brand management

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Jerkface posted:

I hate to interrupt this guys incredibly stupid discussion about not watching Andor (which owns everyone watch Andor) but I went to the Regal Mystery Monday movie yesterday which happened to be Apple+'s new christmas movie "Spirited" starring will ferrel and ryan reynolds and it was good. will ferrell christmas movies don't miss.

also its part of the scrooge cinematic universe and is good brand management

Good to hear this. Was just talking to my wife about the lack of good Christmas movies lately. Elf is going to be 20 years old next year. Lord.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Christmas chronicles 1 is like a Christmas movie on acid. Big earnest saves Christmas vibes. Skip #2 tho

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Has network television actually gotten really bad? It seems like across the major networks (CBS, Fox, ABC, NBC, CW), there are only a handful of shows worth watching. Abbott Elementary, and, anything else? Has network tv gotten worse? Or have we just gotten so used to quality shows on cable and streaming that our standards are that much higher, and network TV was always to varying degrees as bad as it is today?

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
i have not had network television or cable since uhh 2006

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Ghosts is good, can't really think of another network show I watch regularly.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Buddy network television is OTA, it's literally in your house right now, all around you.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I haven't watched a network television show since... Lost? First season of Modern Family? It feels like an era ago at least.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

Has network television actually gotten really bad? It seems like across the major networks (CBS, Fox, ABC, NBC, CW), there are only a handful of shows worth watching. Abbott Elementary, and, anything else? Has network tv gotten worse? Or have we just gotten so used to quality shows on cable and streaming that our standards are that much higher, and network TV was always to varying degrees as bad as it is today?
I guess you'll have to find someone aged 65+ and ask them what network tv is like now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Baron von Eevl posted:

Buddy network television is OTA, it's literally in your house right now, all around you.

i'll believe it when i see it