Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCkGC_75ZZw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
As someone who pauses a lot when playing the tactical battle and is approaching 40, I definitely understand what people are going through when it comes to getting stressed out by mp. I've reached that point in my life where my reaction time and ability to quickly adapt are getting a little worse each year and not better. On the plus side, I've gotten much better at turn-based games as I'm more deliberative and less impetuous. Board games and turn-based games like Civilization are now pretty chumpable. The strategy map in IE is now pretty easy to manage and I'm going to have to start increasing the difficulty because managing 12 armies with a 6k-10k gold deficit and 4 fronts as Skarsnik is not something I would have considered in TW1 and now it's an extremely easy tightrope to walk.

ninjahedgehog posted:

My kingdom for a "no, and stop asking" diplomacy button :negative:

This is the closest thing. I find it very useful.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2791465729

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*

Well, well well. Looks like Settra does serve it after all.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

There's an even longer version linked in the comments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qgf7qGE9IR8

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
Picked up TW:WH3 recently after waiting for Immortal Empires to drop. The Reikland campaign sure seems a lot harder than the previous game. I've got Kemmler and Grom the Paunch causing trouble from the South, the northern Empire states are powerless to do anything against Festus, and Vlad has gobbled up Averland and Stirland.

What's the general consensus on the minor settlement battles? I like the idea in theory and they were a cool part of Attila, but in practise the garrisons just don't seem beefy enough and the supply points feature just seems like a gimmick to show something new for the third game.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Settlement battles are in a weird place. If your settlement does not have an army in it, just the garrison units from buildings, then any half-decent stack will crush it.

If your settlement does have a full army in it, you have a big advantage against any other stack that shows up thanks to the extra units from the garrison, plus the chokepoints and towers if the enemy chooses to attack.

Ideally, territory should not change hands unless there's a sizeable battle which both sides have a chance of winning. I'm not sure exactly how you achieve that without dumping the 3D map and going back to how the original Shogun Total War game did it (each territory is a single space, you set which territories your armies are going to move to during your turn, then all armies move simultaneously and any hostile armies sharing a territory have a battle). I guess you could do something where an army has a "guard settlement" setting, where you can send your army out to attack but have it automatically rush back to join any battle involving a nearby settlement. In that case you'd probably eliminate free garrison units entirely.

Something needs to change from where the game's at right now - most battles are like twenty units versus six, and it can be quite frustrating to be on the receiving end of that and have a settlement you've been building for thirty turns get razed without any real way to respond.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

I never really understood why they got away from the medieval total war II method where you can hire an army without a leader. The castle/town mechanic and moreso the militia (shittier units but way less upkeep) worked out fine

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Private Speech posted:

There's an even longer version linked in the comments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qgf7qGE9IR8

I love how Nagash's lackeys fall down dead.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Chopstix posted:

I never really understood why they got away from the medieval total war II method where you can hire an army without a leader. The castle/town mechanic and moreso the militia (shittier units but way less upkeep) worked out fine

It cut downs a lot on having ten thousand one unit armies running around. Shogun 2 suffers a lot from it despite being the most modern of the old-style TW games.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Chopstix posted:

Infinite two or three unit crapstacks scattering everywhere at all times like cockroaches in a condemned building when you turn on the lights, basically.

In another example of "Three Kingdoms solved the problem", in 3K full armies are basically three mini-stacks of 6 units led by a hero, and you can detach each hero's division if you want. You get a lot of the modularity and freedom of the old TW style but without the worst parts.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

tehinternet posted:

How is the PVP in this game? I see the SC2 micro comparisons and that’s a huge turn off. Is it like SC2 in that you need to have a 300APM to be competitive at all or in that there’s just a lot of micro. TW seems too slow for APM to factor in a ton (I hope, gently caress I hate having to spam commands, poo poo is like a job).

already been answered but it's much more about getting good value trades (more gold for less) and, now, holding points.

in games with a high skill cap like warcraft 3, where apm matters more, it's a contest of who is the most practiced at being tedious, quick and effective at moving individual units around while still having an good macro strategy

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Are garrisons not like 16-20 units like they where in TW2?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Serephina posted:

Much smaller. Largest minor settlement garrison is something like 14 units and that is with a garrison building.

The other thing I think has changed is that supply lines penalties are much, much lower and it isn't anywhere near as punishing as it used to be to recruit a defensive half-stack or something. Still expensive, but much better than before where you were really pushed to only run full stacks and keeping them on offense for the economy.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Ravenfood posted:

Much smaller. Largest minor settlement garrison is something like 14 units and that is with a garrison building.

The other thing I think has changed is that supply lines penalties are much, much lower and it isn't anywhere near as punishing as it used to be to recruit a defensive half-stack or something. Still expensive, but much better than before where you were really pushed to only run full stacks and keeping them on offense for the economy.

also helpful is now there's more ways to share XP so those garrisoned lords will (maybe) have more levels than a new recruit later on if there's something else for them to do

not huge but it cuts down on fishing for relevant traits lategame

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Sample_text posted:

The only game where I remember the AI cheating this blatantly was Homeworld 2, and they patched that out later.

Lmfao no they didn't

Anyway help my favorite start is Settra how terminal is my gaming cancer

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Serephina posted:

It depends on the buildings in the settlement and what tier they are. That goes for TW2, too - garrison composition has changed a bit in TW3, but even in 2, they were never on the huge side.

A basic garrison for a T1 minor settlement is usually somewhere around four basic T1 crap infantry and two T1 ranged units. The T1 Skaven minor settlement garrison in TW2 is, like, two Gutter Runners and a handful of Skavenslaves.

When you upgrade the settlement, it'll add a couple more units to your garrison and upgrade some of the garrison units as well. The defensive buildings will add several units to the garrison. The military buildings will generally add a couple of the units they recruit to the garrison, and the hero recruitment buildings will sometimes add a hero to the garrison.

A higher-tier major settlement full of military buildings will have an army-sized garrison of decent quality, but a lower-tier minor settlement's garrison won't even serve as a speedbump against a real army unless you've put up the defense buildings (and by the time you can build those, you usually have a decent enough hold on the territory that you're unlikely to get invaded).

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010
Playing on higher battle difficulty I really miss the little exclamation points that tell you whether or not a unit will beat the other unit. Playing Rock Paper Scissors is a lot harder when you don’t know offhand what beats what.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Psycho Landlord posted:

Lmfao no they didn't
iirc that game incentivized deconstructing your fleet at the end of each mission because it would set the enemy strength as some multiple of yours when you warped into the next one. Or was it even more pathological?

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 13, 2022

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

iirc that game incentivized deconstructing your fleet at the end of each mission because the game would set the enemy strength as some multiple of yours when you warped into the next one. Or was it even more pathological?

Yeah the scaling response thing was ingame but that wasn't a cheat - It was a one time event that fired at the beginning of a mission, and HW1 worked the same way.

The cheats in the HW2 campaign were the AI getting instant build times for like a minute and/or and free ships when certain events were tripped, and those were never at any point patched out - because otherwise the game would be too easy :v:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Psycho Landlord posted:

Lmfao no they didn't
The last patch of the original release of HW2 did addressed the batshit insane level scaling by tweaking the numbers is tiny bit. So if you had 1 Battlecruiser, the AI would get for example 3 instead of the original 5 Battlecruisers. It lessened the problem a tiny bit, but it was there.

HW1 did have the same fleet scaling system. But it was better implemented because there were limits to how high the AI's fleet could scale and the actual scaling wasn't as steep and punishing.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
One slight point in TWW3 favor re: Garrisons is a lot of military and military support buildings add a unit or two from their recruitment list to the garrison, like adding a battle wizard or warrior priest or adding 2 units of Tzar Guard or w/e.

That being said, it's p obvious garrison stacks were balanced around minor settlement battles being the most common kind of settlement battle and now that it's not the case they could definitely use 4-6 more units across the board IMO

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I'm going to unironically mod back in 100% settlement battles because so many of my budget defenses depend on garrisons holding city points. You've all made the game worse for me because CA listened. :colbert:

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Man Norsca just feel like…really boring WoC? A few fun monsters and lol at the insane port income, but they really don’t feel unique in any sense.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Man Norsca just feel like…really boring WoC? A few fun monsters and lol at the insane port income, but they really don’t feel unique in any sense.

Yeah them losing their "settle anywhere as long as it has a port" gimmick lost them a lot of their campaign level uniqueness and their units overlap a lot with chaos. They are high on my list of hopeful DLC revamps like the WEs got lm

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Norsca was my last playthrough before I stopped playing TW2 a year or so ago. I really wanted to like it. Tried Wulfrik and Throgg and actually liked Throgg better, but yeah, both are bad.

Also can I just say that I started a Kholek Suneater campaign and it is wild. Dude is super, super strong. It was like starting the campaign at 11. I can't imagine where this is going to go.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Doomykins posted:

I'm going to unironically mod back in 100% settlement battles because so many of my budget defenses depend on garrisons holding city points. You've all made the game worse for me because CA listened. :colbert:

Yeah the new system seems kinda worse than before.
Imo I'd go to tier 1 garrison is minor settlement and tier 2 is walls

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Norsca could just do with more stuff and some punch-ups on their more interesting units, like most of the monstrous infantry. It's just hard to think of what they would do or get that one of the other six different Chaos armies doesn't already do.

Internet Explorer posted:

Norsca was my last playthrough before I stopped playing TW2 a year or so ago. I really wanted to like it. Tried Wulfrik and Throgg and actually liked Throgg better, but yeah, both are bad.

Having an army full of middleweight melee dudes is a lot better in TWW3, where that sort of unit isn't as harshly punished in single-player.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Communist Thoughts posted:

Yeah the new system seems kinda worse than before.
Imo I'd go to tier 1 garrison is minor settlement and tier 2 is walls

T1 garrison or t3 settlement should give the settlement battles imo.

E: vv yep, exactly.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 8, 2022

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ravenfood posted:

T1 garrison or t3 settlement should give the settlement battles imo.

T1 garrison or T3 settlement gives settlement battles, T2 garrison gives walls. This is the best outcome.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

Psycho Landlord posted:

Lmfao no they didn't

Anyway help my favorite start is Settra how terminal is my gaming cancer

drat really?

Some goon in this thread corrected me, that it wasn't the actual AI that was bugged but some particularly bad enemy spawn mechanics, where the game would "rubber band" and give them 2 ships for every one that you had.
But I played through Homeworld 2 without using the dumb "self distruct your fleet after every mission so the game bugs out and gives the AI little units" thing, and I don't remember it being as egregious as it was first time I played it back in the early 2000's.

In other news I deleted my Vampire Counts save, because I kept going back and picked at it like a scab.
Managed to survive the Ork Waaghs and made it all the way to turn 120, only to get my capital province ambushed and taken by the Eshin Skaven.

I'm currently playing the Dwarves and so far I'm having a chiller time.
Beginning to think the Vampire Counts are cursed (no pun intended) . The guys just seem to be surrounded by races that hate their guts and have 0 allies or way out of that shithole of a start position.
It doesn't help that their units seem to be..... kinda poo poo? I picked them due to thinking that since their heroes being absurdly strong it would mean less micro-ing around armies and less reliance on positioning my troops around , but the rest of their roster is just kinda lackluster. Those tier 2 bat monsters are kinda cool , and their late game cavalry is nice, but everything else really lives up to its name as disposable fodder, which is fine when your main way of killing things is with your hero roster and spamming aoe death magic +arcane conduit, but less so when you actually need a proper army.

Dwarves seem way more well rounded. They lack cavalry , but make up for it with range firepower ,so it's a fair trade I guess.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I've tried all of the Chaos factions now and honestly none of them are as fun to me as Tzeentch. Now that Kairos has access to actual heavy infantry you can actually get into stand-up fights, and the combination of excellent flying cav and insane ranged units means you can just unleash hell while making GBS threads out huge damage via spells.

I like Slaanesh for their insane mobility and massive damage, Khorne is good as a meat-grinder, and I found Nurgle a little dull, but it's just so fun to be a demon gunline.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Sample_text posted:

I'm currently playing the Dwarves and so far I'm having a chiller time.
Beginning to think the Vampire Counts are cursed (no pun intended) . The guys just seem to be surrounded by races that hate their guts and have 0 allies or way out of that shithole of a start position.
It doesn't help that their units seem to be..... kinda poo poo? I picked them due to thinking that since their heroes being absurdly strong it would mean less micro-ing around armies and less reliance on positioning my troops around , but the rest of their roster is just kinda lackluster. Those tier 2 bat monsters are kinda cool , and their late game cavalry is nice, but everything else really lives up to its name as disposable fodder, which is fine when your main way of killing things is with your hero roster and spamming aoe death magic +arcane conduit, but less so when you actually need a proper army.

tomb grave guard (both kinds) and crypt horrors are go-anywhere, do anything grinders that will get work done when you need to kill things with something other than spells. crypt horrors are especially good if they can stand on a stack of your chaff infantry.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 8, 2022

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Sample_text posted:

drat really?

Some goon in this thread corrected me, that it wasn't the actual AI that was bugged but some particularly bad enemy spawn mechanics, where the game would "rubber band" and give them 2 ships for every one that you had.
But I played through Homeworld 2 without using the dumb "self distruct your fleet after every mission so the game bugs out and gives the AI little units" thing, and I don't remember it being as egregious as it was first time I played it back in the early 2000's.

Like I said, the AI in homeworld 2 got actual cheats, as in broke game rules, but no one noticed because of the scaling stuff because the game was already too easy if you weren't outnumbered lmao

So is the skullstorm spell the tomb kings lore gets the strongest vortex now? It sure as poo poo feels like it, but that might just be because of all the chaff you deal with as early Settra.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
One thing I've noticed with TW3, especially as I've seen Sample_text talking about trying to get into the game, is that there isn't a good starter faction to recommend people. Empire would seem to be the kind of faction to recommend but they're pretty complicated these days and absolutely surrounded by enemies. HE are kind of boring and situated in a weird part of the map for a first time player. Cathay seem like they'd probably be a decent recommendation but they have some odd unique mechanics as well as most of the regular game mechanics in play. In TW1, Dwarves were the really easy first time rec because they had a pretty nice spot on the map with a couple straight-forward enemies, high morale troops, strong gunlines, and no cavalry, letting people ease into the game with a fewer mechanics at play. Now, they've kind of fallen behind in the power creep and they're surrounded by pretty tough enemies so they're not an easy rec.

Also, the game should absolutely have a label on factions like vamps and horde factions that says "DO NOT TRY THEM FIRST" which I seem to remember TW1 having. I think they were labelled as "for advanced players" or something.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Any of the WoC seem easy enough, especially Archaon and Bel'akor. They get a little overpowered version of pretty much all the baseline mechanics.

Welfs too maybe.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Lizardmen have pretty straightforward mechanics. Their Geomantic Web mechanics just incentivize painting the map in specific directions, and they don’t have weird ways of acquiring money or troops.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Some of the lizards have real spicy starts though, and that's one of the issues mentioned.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
There used to be campaign start difficulty ratings, but they kinda fell behind with updates and DLC's, and instead of updating them they just removed them completely at some point.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

bloodychill posted:

Cathay seem like they'd probably be a decent recommendation but they have some odd unique mechanics as well as most of the regular game mechanics in play.

Make number at top of screen be even.

Every 10 turns slam pick the +growth/income option on the Wu Xing compass.

When the game asks you to send a caravan, say "Yes" and go to a different final destination each time.

I'm being a bit flippant but Cathay is 100% the beginner faction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Doomykins posted:

Make number at top of screen be even.

Every 10 turns slam pick the +growth/income option on the Wu Xing compass.

When the game asks you to send a caravan, say "Yes" and go to a different final destination each time.

I'm being a bit flippant but Cathay is 100% the beginner faction.

Make a frontline of alternating halberds and iron hails and you will win most fights