Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Forgot about badass Morgott's intro was too:

Have it writ upon thy meagre grave - felled by King Morgott last of all kings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I appreciate Morgott because out of all the bosses in elden ring he clearly wants you dead and I respect that.

No "oh whose this that wandered in?". He loving found the player and was like "time to die bitch"

He has agency

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I'm sure this question has been asked many a time before, but is there a good source that collates all this story stuff for reading or listening to? Is it still the same as before, where you dedicate several days to watching all of Vaati's five thousand videos on the subject? For that matter, are there any deranged video rabbit holes where people grasp at straws and make claims like Ornstein turned into the Nameless King's dragon mount, or Havel the Rock was really planning on murdering the entire DS1 pantheon and was really a dragonbro? (Both those are real videos and they're as :psyduck: as you might imagine.)

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

DoubleNegative posted:

I'm sure this question has been asked many a time before, but is there a good source that collates all this story stuff for reading or listening to? Is it still the same as before, where you dedicate several days to watching all of Vaati's five thousand videos on the subject? For that matter, are there any deranged video rabbit holes where people grasp at straws and make claims like Ornstein turned into the Nameless King's dragon mount, or Havel the Rock was really planning on murdering the entire DS1 pantheon and was really a dragonbro? (Both those are real videos and they're as :psyduck: as you might imagine.)

you already named vaati so you've got deranged grasping at straws covered just fine.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
remember when he made a 15 minute video about the 15 second Sekiro teaser

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I like morgott but I wish I knew what that juice he conjures up is. Why does the arena get all juicy?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ZeusCannon posted:

I appreciate Morgott because out of all the bosses in elden ring he clearly wants you dead and I respect that.

No "oh whose this that wandered in?". He loving found the player and was like "time to die bitch"

He has agency

See also, the Bell-Bearing Hunter.

Dude wants your bearing, and by god, he will take it. Even killing his true form doesn't slow him down.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I like morgott but I wish I knew what that juice he conjures up is. Why does the arena get all juicy?

That's fresh, unadulterated Morgott juice. Omens are juicy boys, and you split him open, so now he's going to use his juice to murder you.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Is there anything in the Elden Ring lore that explains the existence or purpose of Turtle Pope?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

MechaSeinfeld posted:

It’s piss

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bluff Buster posted:

Is there anything in the Elden Ring lore that explains the existence or purpose of Turtle Pope?

Turtles are symbols of wisdom and virility - turtle meat is specifically mentioned to be an aphrodisiac. You find a giant sapient turtle, of course you're going to ask 'em to preside the most important wedding in the Lands Between.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Bluff Buster posted:

Dog

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

DoubleNegative posted:

If you want a person's reading of the game I don't have anything, but I have been organizing various sources of info by topic in case that's helpful to you here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Bf0I0tuBOnWf-_p_tgiGob4Ck1jnxrybRxffk2-e9FM/edit?usp=sharing. It's still incomplete as I haven't sorted all the weapons, accessories and key items yet, but a lot of stuff is in there.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

feelix posted:

If you think "Conan the Barbarian-type poo poo played straight as an arrow" is fitting in Soulsborne, we have fundamentally different perceptions of what these games are thematically.

ahahahaha

https://www.eurogamer.net/souls-survivor?page=2 posted:

"King's Field was the beginning of the Demon's Souls project; I wouldn't go as far as to say that we had King's Field in mind while we were making Demon's Souls, but of course I think its world probably formed one of the bases [for the newer game]. However, if you're asking if it's a 'successor', the answer is no. Of course there are parts of the game that are inspired by King's Field but we were very much aware that we wanted to make a new title with Demon's Souls."

What did inspire the game was a combination of European mythology and artistic sources outside of the world of videogames. "There aren't any other games [that I'd cite as inspiration], but there are films like Conan the Barbarian and Excalibur, and Frazetta's fantasy art," Miyazaki explains.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way

Bluff Buster posted:

Turtle munched grass for many decades. Such delicious grass! Grew he did. You too, would grow, were you not eating crabs and drinking red seed juice.

Then one day he got a hat. Said the people: "This hat makes you the pope!". Indeed, you'd too, become a pope were you to be given such a fancy hat. Alas, you are a tarnished and as such you only wear jar corpses and pumpkins and stuff that belongs to other people.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

skasion posted:

It’s piss

King piss lover is a dex user. Lol

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

MechaSeinfeld posted:

King piss lover is a dex user. Lol

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Still couldn't get any summons for Malenia, but I ended up brute-forcing it through the power of a Mimic Tear dual wielding greathammers, one of them being a Great Stars with Prelate's Charge so the mimic would occasionally heal itself.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

loquacius posted:

Gideon being kinda weak actually really fits his character imo

Gideon can actually hit very hard if you let him, the problem for the poor old sod is that he wastes like thirty seconds giving him dumb speech while the player is revving up their pizza slicer and shoving it up his rear end.

Also he constantly, pointlessly refreshes his Carian Phalanx despite his previous instance of the attack not being used instead of doing an actual useful attack, which struck me as a pretty noticeable hole in his AI.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

khwarezm posted:

Gideon can actually hit very hard if you let him, the problem for the poor old sod is that he wastes like thirty seconds giving him dumb speech while the player is revving up their pizza slicer and shoving it up his rear end.

His speech did him in for me, too. Popped three buffs and my mimic tear, and blew him out of the water with the Blasphemous Blade before he even raised a finger. Very satisfying.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Fun thing I've discovered about Gideon; Storm Blade seems to have the exact perfect rhythm to repeatedly smack him out of every spell he tries to cast and every flask he tries to use, while also allowing just enough time between gusts for him to keep trying to use these things. It's one of the funniest stunlocks in the game. All this accumulated power and knowledge, and of course it is nothing compared to the might of L2 spam.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

khwarezm posted:

Also he constantly, pointlessly refreshes his Carian Phalanx despite his previous instance of the attack not being used instead of doing an actual useful attack, which struck me as a pretty noticeable hole in his AI.

Rogier (Twitch mod ver.) does something similar, although his does have a powerful followup thrust.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mirello posted:

I'm not the biggest fan of hoarah loux just because he has way too little hp and I blew past him without really enjoying it in my first playthrough. The design is really cool though.

This has to be one of the stupidest loving arguments I've ever read. He doesn't fit into the game? A berserker turned king turned berserker doesn't belong in high/dark fantasy? Wtf are you smoking lol. Ironic appreciation? I think you've been sniffing your own farts too long.

The other thing that gets missed in the discussion about Hoarah Loux is that Elden Ring isn't just steeped in mythology--it's steeped in specifically Irish mythology. Hoarah Loux is similar to Cú Chulainn, who would enter a terrifying battle rage where he'd go totally animalistic and just kill everything he saw, friend or foe. That's exactly what Hoarah Loux does when he isn't shackled by his spectral lion Serosh.

The "pro wrestler" read is kind of funny, sure, but I also don't think it's necessarily the intended reference either. He's a gigantic, animalistic berserker. Notably when he hits the player with some of his grabs, he doesn't just throw you around--he pins you to the ground and tears into you with his hands.

Hoarah Loux might've been out of place in Dark Souls (specifically in the extremely mournful tone of DS1) or Demon's Souls, but in Elden Ring he's right at home.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTeyOSLrcjE

I did not want to know that Lobsters(Crayfish) can shoot you from that far away.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Cuchulainn’s warp spasms are significantly more horrifying than Godfrey>Hoarah.

Tain Bo Cuailnge posted:

His shanks and his joints, every knuckle and angle and organ from head to foot, shook like a tree in the flood or a reed in the stream. His body made a furious twist inside his skin, so that his feet and shins switched to the rear and his heels and calves switched to the front... On his head the temple-sinews stretched to the nape of his neck, each mighty, immense, measureless knob as big as the head of a month-old child... he sucked one eye so deep into his head that a wild crane couldn't probe it onto his cheek out of the depths of his skull; the other eye fell out along his cheek. His mouth weirdly distorted: his cheek peeled back from his jaws until the gullet appeared, his lungs and his liver flapped in his mouth and throat, his lower jaw struck the upper a lion-killing blow, and fiery flakes large as a ram's fleece reached his mouth from his throat... The hair of his head twisted like the tangle of a red thornbush stuck in a gap; if a royal apple tree with all its kingly fruit were shaken above him, scarce an apple would reach the ground but each would be spiked on a bristle of his hair as it stood up on his scalp with rage.

It’d fit right in to Bloodborne, honestly.

Irish myths are pretty wild, like the one where all the women of Ulster decide to blind and scalp the foreign lady because she can piss harder than the rest of them.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i've heard of pissing matches but that's ridiculous!

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

skasion posted:

Irish myths are pretty wild, like the one where all the women of Ulster decide to blind and scalp the foreign lady because she can piss harder than the rest of them.

That's the midsommar village, huh? With the godskin dude.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

DoubleNegative posted:

For that matter, are there any deranged video rabbit holes where people grasp at straws and make claims like Ornstein turned into the Nameless King's dragon mount, or Havel the Rock was really planning on murdering the entire DS1 pantheon and was really a dragonbro? (Both those are real videos and they're as :psyduck: as you might imagine.)

This guy has some spicy takes
https://youtu.be/MuIoQz5XOO4

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Hoarah is more directly based on Hercules than Cu Chulainn, especially with that great big lion mantle. Not surprising, given the Greco-Roman elements of From's fantasy worlds.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Maybe. There’s a bunch of coliseums, but Elden Ring is real Celtic.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Maybe. There’s a bunch of coliseums, but Elden Ring is real Celtic.

It's more Norse than Celtic (though the two are similar), and even that's largely flavouring on the 'modern' high medieval culture of England and France (and Japan, in the Land of Reeds). Hoarah being Hercules crossed with a Norse berserker makes perfect sense in light of the Lands Between's dominant cultural inspirations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

He's literally voiced by a Cornish guy, Godfrey is 100% their take on a Celtic warrior-king

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

No Dignity posted:

He's literally voiced by a Cornish guy, Godfrey is 100% their take on a Celtic warrior-king

I mean, Yura the samurai is voiced by a guy from Yorkshire, let's not go nuts here.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

Spergatory posted:

Fun thing I've discovered about Gideon; Storm Blade seems to have the exact perfect rhythm to repeatedly smack him out of every spell he tries to cast and every flask he tries to use, while also allowing just enough time between gusts for him to keep trying to use these things. It's one of the funniest stunlocks in the game. All this accumulated power and knowledge, and of course it is nothing compared to the might of L2 spam.

Frame traps can be hilarious when used against enemies, or terrifying when used against players.

Old UGS crouch pokes could completely trivialize all pve content once you learn how to stagger them into crouch pokes.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

skasion posted:

Hahaha that sounds very funny my friend can I have a link so I can laugh at it some more lol

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Gologle posted:

Hahaha that sounds very funny my friend can I have a link so I can laugh at it some more lol

The Violent Death of Derbforgaill. Translation starts on page 83

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

i'm playing again and i've just found a whole area of altus plateau i totally missed in my first game. it's the high plateau just to the west of the capital and south of the woodfolk basin. black knife assassin boss, sainted hero's grave, found that dragon again and some other cool stuff. there's a graveyard down there with some strong skellies also but i didn't go in there yet. also found the perfumer's grotto underneath it for the first time.

it's like getting a little DLC. i suppose i wasn't that thorough.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

playing though this for the first time and as my first from software game since I bounced hard off the first Dark Souls. I swore off using summons after I managed to beat the Fell Omen in my first try due to Rogier and the wolves basically just stun-locking him while I chucked spells into the back of his head (I started a new character after that), but I've gone back on that promise after the battle with Radahn, that second phase is nuts. Great boss battle though.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

DeafNote posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTeyOSLrcjE

I did not want to know that Lobsters(Crayfish) can shoot you from that far away.

Those things are loving snipers- I've been picked off by them from further than I would have thought they'd render at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Nickoten posted:

If you want a person's reading of the game I don't have anything, but I have been organizing various sources of info by topic in case that's helpful to you here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Bf0I0tuBOnWf-_p_tgiGob4Ck1jnxrybRxffk2-e9FM/edit?usp=sharing. It's still incomplete as I haven't sorted all the weapons, accessories and key items yet, but a lot of stuff is in there.

This is really helpful, thanks!

And this is gonna be entertaining, I can feel it already.