Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
1) Could someone please retweet the fault in our death stars trailer? I'm trying to get my husband to watch this show and Syril's "Life made no sense without you" is a line I've used on him.

2) I like how this show is taking inspiration from inspiration and includes a good follow-up on history of the world part II.

3) Given the recent Tarkin storm stronger chat I feel the next season should involve an assassination attempt. It's impossible to get to him... but he's the grand marshal at the Imperial Pride Parade on Couresacant! Andor wants to do a traditional sniper attack but what if the Rebels had someone who was a member of the senatorial class who could also be at pride? Maybe there is a scene where Vel rolls her eyes and explains that we don't all know each other ... but in this particular case she may have a contact. A real Valkyrie story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
One of the things I kind of hope for these shows is they just do their own thing, and not tie into canon from cartoon shows, books and expanded universe stuff. Be heavily inspired by the good parts, sure, but don't stifle creativity and potential because some other media has determined that this has already happened a certain way.

Like if we followed that to the logical conclusion, some time soon we'll find out that Whathisname Starkiller singlehandedly pulled a star destroyer out of orbit with his mind and then went on to establish the Rebel Alliance.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

I forgot to shout out this shot when I saw it, but I loved how the Rebellion is always shown in natural settings with natural tones contrasting the antiseptic Imperial locations. Then they have Mon Mothma framed right under the large tree branch display as she's recruiting for the Rebellion in the heart of the Empire's center of power.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

2nd Amendment posted:

1) Could someone please retweet the fault in our death stars trailer? I'm trying to get my husband to watch this show and Syril's "Life made no sense without you" is a line I've used on him.

Did you mean this video?

https://twitter.com/patrickhwillems/status/1588184771913711619

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

I hope we get to see Syril's promotion next ep. He's selling space paper now and his coworker stuck his space stapler in jello.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Ethics_Gradient posted:

That'd basically be a Rogue or Wraith Squadron series, except X-Wings rather than a corvette (although IIRC the Wraiths are based off a run-down corvette or some kinda freighter for a book when they're pretending to be pirates).

I'd be all for the someone of similar competence/sensibilities as the Andor showrunner doing a Wraith Squadron series. Maybe Rogue Squadron if it gets re-written so Corran Horn gets dunked on rather than getting to be a Barry Sue.

a show about fighter pilots is going to have a different feel to a show about the crew of a small ship, but I do also want a good show about x-wing pilots.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

StashAugustine posted:

I've been saying we need a Vervohoven Star War

do NOT put that seed of desire into my brain

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

thatbastardken posted:

a show about fighter pilots is going to have a different feel to a show about the crew of a small ship, but I do also want a good show about x-wing pilots.

Season 1 BSG but Star Wars and just about the Battlestar and not the entire human civilian fleet. Got the ship crew and then the fighter pilots out on patrol somewhere

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

drunkill posted:

Season 1 BSG but Star Wars and just about the Battlestar and not the entire human civilian fleet. Got the ship crew and then the fighter pilots out on patrol somewhere

Wasn't this just The Last Jedi?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I wish tonight was tomorrow night

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I expect lots of immaculate shots of an increasingly unhinged Dedra brooding over datapads looking for Andor leads while Figrin D’an plays.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Hughmoris posted:

Did anyone see any Andor costumes out and about for Halloween?

I guess they'd get lost in the typical Star Wars stuff.

saw a dude with a AK and low cap mag but that's just LA

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

2nd Amendment posted:

2) I like how this show is taking inspiration from inspiration and includes a good follow-up on history of the world part II.

3) Given the recent Tarkin storm stronger chat I feel the next season should involve an assassination attempt. It's impossible to get to him... but he's the grand marshal at the Imperial Pride Parade on Couresacant! Andor wants to do a traditional sniper attack but what if the Rebels had someone who was a member of the senatorial class who could also be at pride? Maybe there is a scene where Vel rolls her eyes and explains that we don't all know each other ... but in this particular case she may have a contact. A real Valkyrie story.

Andor buys Holo twitter and runs it into the ground, realizing that trying to be a space libertarian is no better than being Imperial and goes wholeheartedly rebellion

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

thatbastardken posted:

something I just realized i wanted is a star wars 'Das Boot' with the crew of some kind of lovely rebel corvette attacking imperial shipping or transporting commandos or whatever.

Star Wars privateers. Pirates secretly working for the New Republic attacking First Order ships and bases. Colourful characters, derring doo, all that poo poo.

I'd love to see a good cast interacting and fighting like The Expanse or The Bad Batch, but in live action Star Wars.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Remalle posted:

I hope we get to see Syril's promotion next ep. He's selling space paper now and his coworker stuck his space stapler in jello.

"I was in corporate security"

"so if you had to go hard on a man could you? Could you take a man from behind?"

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Love Rat posted:

I feel like I have to go through the gauntlet of mid-terms bullshit tomorrow to get to the next episode. It sucks.

suffer one more day of endless political texts and then you shall be rewarded with good escapism

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
that tony gilroy interview kicks rear end

https://scriptmag.com/interviews-features/tony-gilroy-checks-in-after-10-episodes-of-andor

Script Magazine: One of the things in the show that’s really struck me is the use of juxtaposition in the production design. For example, the ISB locations look similarly lit and feel as much like a prison as the prison sets. You get the impression that everyone's in a prison of their own making, and I'm wondering, with those production design decisions, how much of that is on the page and how much of that is in the showrunning where you're dealing with production designers?

Tony Gilroy: Well, not to piss off Danny [Gilroy] and Beau [Willimon] or anybody. But my primary collaborator is Luke Hull, the production designer. Just as a microcosm, I'm working on something that has to be revamped for the next block that we’re shooting, and it is all site-specific and the person has to completely tear down and rewrite based on locations. I'm on the phone with Luke four or five times a day saying, “Man, I need a foyer, I need a security gate. Is there a thing there? Where can they hide the weapons? Where do I do the thing? What does the bodega look like? What does the travel agency look like? What is this?”

Design and writing are not separate on the show. When we did the writer's room the first time, by luck, we brought Luke in, and after he was there for two days, you're like, “Oh my God, how are we going to do this without him?”

The second time we did the writers, it was like Luke was baked in, Sanne Wohlenberg, our producer—who’s a freaking genius—was there, they're on the sidelines, they're in the room, they're not at the table, but they're right there listening to everything, so they're watching the show that they have to make and help make be built in front of them and saying, “Oh, we can't do that, we can't do that, we can't do this. I'm like, I don't know how to do that.” It is completely organic... I have my map of Ferrix up here that I drew, that I sent to Luke six months before we ever started. My crummy little cocktail napkin map with Ferrix, and it kinda looks like Ferrix in a way…

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Pobrecito posted:

do NOT put that seed of desire into my brain

“Hmm, like to know more, would you?”

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

I've been saying we need a Vervohoven Star War

Lobocop

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Madurai posted:

Point of order: she's not the only woman at that table.

that is a really good catch, and i'm embarrassed for missing it!

she is, however, the only woman with a voice and significance in that role. yeah, that's how the show has been written, but it also places much more emphasis on her successes and failures. it's an interesting choice. if they wanted to dilute the message being conveyed, they could have given lines to the other woman, but they haven't. dedra is deliberately written and portrayed as being very alone.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

has anyone interviewed Anton Lesser about andor yet

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The Clone Wars movie is really tough going. Ahsoka is such a pain in the rear end in this, I can see why it took a long time for fans to warm to her.

She's like a Dreamworks quip machine dropped into Star Wars.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

yes thank you

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Cross-Section posted:

Tbf that bit of info is from the From A Certain Point of View anthology which is technically canon but plays fast and loose with established continuity even between its own pages (hence the title)

oh, and synopsis for Acolyte

https://twitter.com/jordanmaison/status/1589621877697556481?s=46&t=PP1BI7Wn19Zkq_by6_Q2ag

ugh some jedi poo poo

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

So their very first move in the high republic era other than some comic books is basically to show it ending? :ok:

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Stuff set in between Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones has a lot of room to play with though, as proven by Tales of the Jedi getting into Dooku's growing dissillusionment.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

No Mods No Masters posted:

In the enormous and fractious star wars community, there is only one point of unanimity. And it's that the people want sengoku star wars

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The pretty good article is here: https://scriptmag.com/interviews-fe...nel=tw-14807403

i liked this part

Tony Gilroy posted:

I have my map of Ferrix up here that I drew, that I sent to Luke six months before we ever started. My crummy little cocktail napkin map with Ferrix, and it kinda looks like Ferrix in a way…

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Tony Gilroy posted:

I've come completely around on the whole notion. I don't ever wanna hear anybody say that writers shouldn't be directing... You have to be directing. I'm not interested in reading anybody else’s scripts anymore [who] aren't directing the film that they're writing. You should be making a film and showing it to me on the page.

[...]

I can't tell you how much time I spent sketching, how much time I spend drawing. My god, the amount of sketches... And I'm not good. But you know, there's... “What's the room look like? How’s it laid out? Where are they gonna walk? Oh my God, if the thing is here and this is here, that's there, and it's like, My God, can you see them from here.”

You're trying to make something real.
This unity between showrunner-writer-designer-director is really paying off in the show

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
One more day before we get the conclusion of this arc and I can barely contain my excitement. This is the best show running on television and Disney+ is borderline scumming us by not releasing each arc in episode packs.

I never understood why Disney kept making films where the fascists are just comic book villain levels of evil, when the exposition of the banal evil of fascism makes audiences root darkly for the success of evil people just to witness their downfall? Seeing Fascist Cog work through the mystery of the case...this sociopath deriving satisfaction from torturing a woman with the screams of children genocided by the regime for a Space BP Grab-n-Go. We got our fascism story from Disney, of all places, and it's so much more realistic than Evil Space Wizard Wants It All. There's nothing there to support, nothing endearing in the regime, and it doesn't care about anything but propping itself up on the bodies and broken lives it leaves behind. It's evil and it's understandable and it will break and die from hubris and the blood of martyrs.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

yeah i'm really impressed by how integrated everything seems to be. i think it takes a particular type of management and vision and genius to achieve, and i'm actually not sure how you can easily recreate that dynamic in other projects

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Jinnigan posted:

yeah i'm really impressed by how integrated everything seems to be. i think it takes a particular type of management and vision and genius to achieve, and i'm actually not sure how you can easily recreate that dynamic in other projects

Hire the same people forever and ever and give them near limitless freedom of expression and crates of cash?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

maybe it's because tony gilroy is obsessed both creatively and in reality with how institutions fossilize but he really seems to have created a group of creatives who bring their best ideas forward instead of a bunch of clockpunchers who hit their metrics and call it good enough. a room full of dedras and no blevins. and i want to know how he did it

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

That's all true but I think also, importantly, he must be extremely good at cajoling the people above him into not doing stupid things. While it's plausible they meddled less because andor is such a whatever concept on the surface, given the money being thrown on the screen they must have tried to meddle some

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I wish I remember who I want to say it was Verhoven but there was a famous story of a director doing the gigachad move taking the studio suit dickhead's notes, nodding and assuring them the final cut would be just so, and then ignoring them and surreptitiously cutting the film how they wanted and delivering it too close to release to re-edit.

It was back before digital, now the studio can ofc look at dailies emailed to their phone while they're on the shitter and directors are in an electrified barefoot prison.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I think that was Mel Brooks!

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
We need an Andor themed version of "It's Wednesday, my dudes."

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Something I wonder about tomorrow: do they break out and immediately GTFO or do they try and head over to one of the other sites while they have the element of surprise? I'd feel guilty as poo poo getting out but knowing there was another one of those hellholes just across the way.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
nice to see him shout out babylon berlin in that interview

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Jinnigan posted:

maybe it's because tony gilroy is obsessed both creatively and in reality with how institutions fossilize but he really seems to have created a group of creatives who bring their best ideas forward instead of a bunch of clockpunchers who hit their metrics and call it good enough. a room full of dedras and no blevins. and i want to know how he did it

Hahaha, this is perfect.

I'm stoked for tonight... 12 hours!