Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I have a feeling it’s going to end up with Kurapika grappling with whether to team up with Hisoka against the spiders or whether to focus on just getting the eyes and protecting Woble, and he’ll end up choosing the latter as part of his character arc.

Yep, I think is less about what the Troupe will do, and more about what Kurapica will do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbqh I figure Chain Jail works on people who are officially spiders and not “anyone Kurapika knows to be one” because nen has been shown to be volatile as hell and if it can be applied to summon a stand goblin to read the future nothing else is off the table. Like, i guess it’s not quite the same thing, but Biscuit’s “ability” happened pretty much autonomously despite her knowledge, so there’s no reason to assume that nen can “truly” be controlled to the extent that it can only be influenced by what it’s user knows, unless that’s a stipulation of the ability itself.

…though I guess thinking on it, Blinky can absorb anything Shizuku considers to be non-living but even then Kurapika might be fastidious enough to have applied that “actually a spider” stipulation without realizing it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I could easily see Kurapika saying 'once a spider, always a spider', and chain jailing someone trying to loophole it

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

the biggest argument in hxh history, closed after 205 pages of fierce debate: does chain jail work on like, actual animal spiders???

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean i can’t see that as Kuripicas arc because that is functionally the same as his arc in Yorknew

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
jfc I seriously cannot believe there are four funking pages of text to describe the “relevant” GI cards. I thought GI might be easier to follow in the manga but I guess I’ll still probably be kinda lost and bored at points until I pick up the physical manga to flip back and forth between the card glossary and relevant situations.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
most of the cards are completely irrelevant and it's just togashi going into funny levels of detail because he likes to do that sometimes. any that actually matter and get referred to often enough you can just pick up on from the context without much issue - like there's some spells used for travelling between locations and some shenanigans with transforming cards into other cards and back to their original form, but not much more than that.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Last Celebration posted:

Tbqh I figure Chain Jail works on people who are officially spiders and not “anyone Kurapika knows to be one” because nen has been shown to be volatile as hell and if it can be applied to summon a stand goblin to read the future nothing else is off the table. Like, i guess it’s not quite the same thing, but Biscuit’s “ability” happened pretty much autonomously despite her knowledge, so there’s no reason to assume that nen can “truly” be controlled to the extent that it can only be influenced by what it’s user knows, unless that’s a stipulation of the ability itself.

…though I guess thinking on it, Blinky can absorb anything Shizuku considers to be non-living but even then Kurapika might be fastidious enough to have applied that “actually a spider” stipulation without realizing it.

Putting aside the question of whether or not the nen "knows", I'm pretty sure Kurapika himself isn't going to use "the ability that kills me if I use it on a non-Spider" on someone without being sure that they're a Spider.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Well yeah probably, but it’s still fun to theorycraft how unpredictable not-magic is gonna hypothetically react to said nonexistent situations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Vizuyos posted:

Putting aside the question of whether or not the nen "knows", I'm pretty sure Kurapika himself isn't going to use "the ability that kills me if I use it on a non-Spider" on someone without being sure that they're a Spider.

you'd think so but then there's steal chain, a timeless monument to kurapika's poor decision making skills.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'd quite like the 4th prince to get brutally wrecked in his first fight involving nen because hes hyped up on his power and isn't experienced at it

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It's so early in it's presence in the story that it's probably a dumb idea to speculate but I can think of a possible gap in his ability that just hasn't been demonstrated yet that could result in him getting totally blown the gently caress up: What if it's just the other people shown in the vision who have to obey that vision's future? The one time he activates it it's him and Theta and a handful of guards and both times his POV is roughly in the same spot that sees all of them. If that's a limitation and he tries to use it vs a bunch of people and some of them stay outside his vision-sight they might be free to ignore the future he saw and can respond like normal people.

Also yeah him getting cocky and hype-drunk and getting into some scrapes vs actual experienced combat nen-users would be very fun to watch.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean i can’t see that as Kuripicas arc because that is functionally the same as his arc in Yorknew

Given the risks of his abilities, I doubt he has much an arc left before they arrive to the New Continent. I predict he dies around the moment the boat arrives at its destination.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I still think he’s gonna end up almost but not entirely dead kinda like Gon and finding nitro rice to extend his lifespan will be Leorio’s goal on the Dark Continent.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

jfc I seriously cannot believe there are four funking pages of text to describe the “relevant” GI cards. I thought GI might be easier to follow in the manga but I guess I’ll still probably be kinda lost and bored at points until I pick up the physical manga to flip back and forth between the card glossary and relevant situations.

The only potentially relevant card outside ones directly mentioned and used in the story is the pregnancy stones.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'd really like it if kurapika ditched all his baggage and went off to certain doom on the dark continent with leorio. i don't think he'll get an ending that good, though.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Honestly my eyes just kinda glazed over but I should have remembered that most of the cards are just flavor by necessity of the game goals regardless.

Also man, the anime really pussies out on the gore around here, or maybe I just have a bad memory because the one guy getting his face blown off is pretty brutal, just a mass of exposed still-breathing flesh. Pretty sure the super sketchy scene of everyone violently being exploded was cut though! Also I appreciate the full explanations on abilities, most of them aren’t strictly needed but having the extra flavor is neat.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Honestly my eyes just kinda glazed over but I should have remembered that most of the cards are just flavor by necessity of the game goals regardless.

Also man, the anime really pussies out on the gore around here, or maybe I just have a bad memory because the one guy getting his face blown off is pretty brutal, just a mass of exposed still-breathing flesh. Pretty sure the super sketchy scene of everyone violently being exploded was cut though! Also I appreciate the full explanations on abilities, most of them aren’t strictly needed but having the extra flavor is neat.

yeah they tone down the gore until it changed timeslots for the ant arc

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Tunicate posted:

I could easily see Kurapika saying 'once a spider, always a spider', and chain jailing someone trying to loophole it

I think he literally said that in the awful movie. The first awful movie that is.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

oh jay posted:

I think he literally said that in the awful movie. The first awful movie that is.

Correct.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I wonder if this implies that Kastro knew En?

Like obviously one's En range isn't a solid indicator of strength, but Kastro could apparently sense that Killua as soon as he was on the same floor. Which, depending on how big Heaven's Arena is, could be a lot of coverage.

Though it's probably something that Togashi just put in and forgot about.

Also, if you think about it, Kastro was pretty strong. Sure, he ended up dying to Hisoka in the end, but he actually managed to take an arm off Hisoka. The second one was cause Hisoka let him take it, but the first arm was all Kastro's skill.

Lpzie 2
Nov 1, 2022

When you elect nuts, you get squirrels!
looks like En 2

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Personally, I wouldn't put much faith in anything nen related in the first volumes. Togashi still hadn't developed a strong set of rules and power levels for it.

Also, you can notice combat/hostile aura from afar, without any En. Killua did it when Illumi was on top of a mountain, from half a kilometer or so.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

It was outright said/remarked on that Kastro would've made a terrifying Enhancer if he just focused on refining his techniques, instead he went for an extremely complicated Hatsu that went completely against his skills in Nen in an attempt to out trick Hisoka which was a losing proposition from the start.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah dude must have only recently learned nen (at least I’m guessing so, they make it sound like he didn’t have much if any experience with it on the whole but having literally none doesn’t make sense since it would be his first match on the floor) but having enough prowess to land two hits on even a Hisoka who’s halfassing it is kind of a huge flex.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kastro was one of hisoka's chosen targets so he definitely had a lot of potential. but then he didn't live up to it and hisoka played around before killing him. hisoka would probably immediately kill gon if they met again, too.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Nah, why would he bother breaking a toy that’s already broken?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

kastro was one of hisoka's chosen targets so he definitely had a lot of potential. but then he didn't live up to it and hisoka played around before killing him. hisoka would probably immediately kill gon if they met again, too.

Hisoka would actually appreciate the beauty of Gon's sacrifice, Gon gave up EVERYTHING to maximize his enhancer potential, Hisoka would have been thrilled to fight gon in that moment, and since Gon is well alive and kind of restored, he has a chance to reach there again, Hisoka would wait for ripeness.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
hisoka would probably only whack gon as he is now to pick a fight with killua, and I don’t think he’d even go that far

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
If anything, Hisoka would use Gon to meet Ging, but killing him wouldn't help with that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the exact nature of gon's loss of nen was never really explained. he can almost certainly still produce aura, as that's a natural function of living beings. can he simply start from the beginning again, or is he somehow physically incapable of perceiving and manipulating aura? or is it a sort of self-inflicted nen curse that applies zetsu, and if so could that be removed? i dunno, maybe he'll show up in the final chapter.

regardless, gon used to be someone hisoka looked forward to fighting and now hisoka has been robbed of that. specifically, gon was the one who stole that from him. the thing to remember about hisoka is that he is a selfish rear end in a top hat on top of being a serial killer. also, he tends to get real mad when he loses something he wants. he can be nice and reasonable, but only when things are going his way.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

According to Ging, Gon went back to “normal.” He’s not in forced zetsu or anything so he can probably learn nen again.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Ging does not recommend trying to learn Nen again however. It could cause some weird backlash, and asking for more after nearly dying is a bad idea.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that doesn't really make sense though, as nen is mostly a learned skill. you don't gain more aura from nen training. aside from a few specialized hatsus, the only accumulation is experience. if gon still remembers everything, there's no reason why he couldn't just apply what he already learned again.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

that doesn't really make sense though, as nen is mostly a learned skill. you don't gain more aura from nen training. aside from a few specialized hatsus, the only accumulation is experience. if gon still remembers everything, there's no reason why he couldn't just apply what he already learned again.

Take Rihan from the current arc for example. He loses access to nen for 48 hours when Predator is deployed and that's a hard rule to his power. Similarly Gon is still under the effects of his own vow to "sacrifice everything" so even though his body is healed, mentally and possibly universally he's not able to use nen. It's possible that this could be reversed but the exorcist that was sent to help him shuddered at the burden he'd placed on him and I expect that hasn't really lighted up just because Nanika got involved.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

the exact nature of gon's loss of nen was never really explained. he can almost certainly still produce aura, as that's a natural function of living beings. can he simply start from the beginning again, or is he somehow physically incapable of perceiving and manipulating aura? or is it a sort of self-inflicted nen curse that applies zetsu, and if so could that be removed? i dunno, maybe he'll show up in the final chapter.

He used everything.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

regardless, gon used to be someone hisoka looked forward to fighting and now hisoka has been robbed of that. specifically, gon was the one who stole that from him. the thing to remember about hisoka is that he is a selfish rear end in a top hat on top of being a serial killer.

he’s an adrenaline junkie who gets his fix by fighting strong people. he can pop off at people he doesn’t know/respect, but he likes gon insofar as he’s capable of liking anyone, so he’s much more likely to have just dismissed the kid after hearing about his condition rather than killing him out of spite

I doubt he’s thought about gon once since stepping on the ship, he has new toys now

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Wait, isn't expanding your aura reserves half the point of Nen training?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Elephant Parade posted:

Wait, isn't expanding your aura reserves half the point of Nen training?

It is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Nanika isn't a very good healer if she couldn't remove the entirety of the curse. So I refuse to believe he's still afflicted by anything and can simply learn nen the normal way. If anything it'd be some sort of a mental block preventing him from using nen.