Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah, I'm never magnetizing one of these again, what a pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Speaking of pains in the rear end, I strongly recommend never, ever doing three-tone hair.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Wet blending with contrast would make that so much easier

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I expected this compressor and tank to be way bigger for some reason. Either way, I can get back to painting soon.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Radiation Cow posted:

Speaking of pains in the rear end, I strongly recommend never, ever doing three-tone hair.

Looking great! What model is this? I think my daughter would lose her mind if I got one and painted it up.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

Wet blending with contrast would make that so much easier

100%. I started from a black undercoat because the initial plan was to keep everything desaturated and night-scene-like. That, obviously, went out the window when I decided RAINBOW. But live and learn, I guess.

tangy yet delightful posted:

Looking great! What model is this? I think my daughter would lose her mind if I got one and painted it up.

Thanks! It's a 3D print from 3DArtDigital. There's also an evil version if you're feeling particularly edgy.

Radiation Cow fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 7, 2022

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Radiation Cow posted:

But that looks so good

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Radiation Cow posted:

100%. I started from a black undercoat because the initial plan was to keep everything desaturated and night-scene-like. That, obviously, went out the window when I decided RAINBOW. But live and learn, I guess.

Thanks! It's a 3D print from 3DArtDigital. There's also an evil version if you're feeling particularly edgy.

It looks sick though. Very trapper keeper

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Did my fella's shield (and sword, but that was less scary) today.

Pic isn't amazing, taking better ones is my next goal after finishing him, but I'm really happy with how the shield is. The tree was really scary, but a dry brush and some patience made it look alright. Couple of mistakes were made, but I managed to cover them up without issue, and I think with a second touch, a wash, and some lighting it's going to look really nice.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
This is a great page.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Woo, I finished my first ever 'Mech. Far from perfect but it'll look fine on the table.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
ordered some green stuff putty and tools from Army Painter so I can make the hair for my ork kommandos to have fighting game character hair, any advice or tips? anything I should know about working with green stuff?

I will probably do very 'videogame Chunky triangular' clumps of hair to keep things simple for myself.

this way this opens up making hair-accurate characters like Blanka, Marco, Tarma, opens up Eri and Fio, and guile from street fighter too!

I will probably also do Akuma and heihachi mishima now that I can go nutty with hair.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

ordered some green stuff putty and tools from Army Painter so I can make the hair for my ork kommandos to have fighting game character hair, any advice or tips? anything I should know about working with green stuff?

I will probably do very 'videogame Chunky triangular' clumps of hair to keep things simple for myself.

this way this opens up making hair-accurate characters like Blanka, Marco, Tarma, opens up Eri and Fio, and guile from street fighter too!

I will probably also do Akuma and heihachi mishima now that I can go nutty with hair.

Greenstuff is pretty tricky to work with and will take some getting used to. Some tips to make your life easier: 1) let the greenstuff cure for about an hour after mixing before working with it. 2) Have plenty of petroleum jelly on hand.

I love the idea of a Guille ork, so hoping you come right!

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Al-Saqr posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB3ojCR5yGs

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Radiation Cow posted:

Greenstuff is pretty tricky to work with and will take some getting used to. Some tips to make your life easier: 1) let the greenstuff cure for about an hour after mixing before working with it. 2) Have plenty of petroleum jelly on hand.

I love the idea of a Guille ork, so hoping you come right!

thanks for the advice!

thanks dude, this rocks!

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

My Raphael 8404 brushes showed up (I ordered a #2 and #1)

#2 is fantastic, but the #1 made me nervous right away as it didn't have a formed tip before I even took the tube off. I figured once I got it wet or worked it with some brush soap it would straighten out. No dice. It struggles really hard to make a point and has stray hairs going everywhere.

The #2 was enough for this, but sometimes I want/need shorter bristles.

WIP cel-shaded MCP mini

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I bought 1-4 brushes from rosemary but 2/4 are fraying almost immediately and soap isn't helping, one person online seems to imply that it has to do with how they were glued in the ferrule. After some back and forth, they're sending me some replacements. Bit disappointing but good end? I can only hope the replacements are OK...

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I ordered mine from Jackson Art since I've learned my lesson about getting brushes off Amazon.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I refuse to buy quality brushes online. You have to be able to physically look at the tip imo

Which probably explains my paint jobs lol

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I live in South Dakota. We don't exactly have a wide array of art stores.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Floppychop posted:

God, I know. loving prairie living.

Me at wal-mart, to the person throwing out the rotten cabbages: "where yall keep the GOOD sable brushes?"

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Floppychop posted:

jesus christ god help you, I cant imagine what it must feel like to live in the less famous Dakota.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I think this might be my first freehand attempt. Working on some Storm Giants for Kill Team.

edit: of course, now all I see are mistakes and things to neaten up. Looks fine from tabletop distance at least.

Funzo fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 8, 2022

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Funzo posted:

I think this might be my first freehand attempt. Working on some Storm Giants for Kill Team.

edit: of course, now all I see are mistakes and things to neaten up. Looks fine from tabletop distance at least.

Wow those Lightnings look awesome! How did you get them so straight? I'm thinking of using a tiny paper stencil for the shoulders of my krieg when I get around to them to make the edges sharp, any advice?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

jesus christ god help you, I cant imagine what it must feel like to live in the less famous Dakota.

ND is famous? For what, soul-crushing fracking fields?

SD has the bonus of making national news for a batshit crazy governor and rampant corruption, sexism, and racism. I hate this loving place.

To stay on thread topic. Here's my most recent Battletech mech

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I bought my rosemary ones from their own website. Art shops near me are a 45+ minute drive

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Everything in America is at least a 45+ min drive from everything else.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The closest art store that isn't a hobby lobby is 4+ hours away from me.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Floppychop posted:

My Raphael 8404 brushes showed up (I ordered a #2 and #1)

#2 is fantastic, but the #1 made me nervous right away as it didn't have a formed tip before I even took the tube off. I figured once I got it wet or worked it with some brush soap it would straighten out. No dice. It struggles really hard to make a point and has stray hairs going everywhere.

FWIW this is my experience with ordering brushes too. I just ordered a replacement #1 for a new basecoating brush and it came with several stray hairs already. Kind of able to force it into shape but it sure makes edge highlighting a pain (and I don't want to even try freehand as it is). Not the first time I've gotten a "bad" brand new brush, and I don't have anywhere to go in person to get decent ones. Luck of the draw, I guess, but I sure don't have the money to keep drawing :smith:

Warhammer stuff continues to not align with my will to paint (along with some severe assembly problems and reluctance to retry greenstuff), but I have a bit more Battletech en route that will hopefully be easier to motivate for. If nothing else, it's adding to an existing lance instead of trying to reach a usable force, so at least I won't feel quite as obligated.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Floppychop posted:

I feel that. We don't have a wide array of anything and the world would be a better place if hobby lobby burned down.

Anyway, hail to a fellow SD BattleTech player. That's a good looking Coyotl!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Floppychop posted:

ND is famous? For what, soul-crushing fracking fields?

Fargo the movie, national parks, Dinosaurs and a couple friends of mine.

I don’t know what any town in South Dakota is.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Al-Saqr posted:

Wow those Lightnings look awesome! How did you get them so straight? I'm thinking of using a tiny paper stencil for the shoulders of my krieg when I get around to them to make the edges sharp, any advice?

Lot of back and forth with the two colors. I started by roughing in the red, then going back with the base color to neaten up lines, then back to red to adjust the shape, and so on.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm from Wyoming, but I can name a handful of places in South Dakota:

Rapid City, Vermilion, Pierre, Deadwood, Sioux Falls.

Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, the Black Hills, and the Lakota tribe.

For anyone in the United States, order your fine art supplies from places like Blick, Art Supply Warehouse, or Jerry's Artarama. University and community college bookstores typically have art supplies too. Blick has several stores in the US, mostly east of the Mississippi. Jerry's Artarama also has several retail locations. Art Supply Warehouse is a single store in the Los Angeles metro.

If any of you are in Denver, Boulder, or Colorado Springs, you can also check out Meininger just south of downtown or Guiry's Guiry's has several locations in Denver and I was able to get most of what I needed from the store in Littleton. You'll want to go to a store if you go to Guiry's, their online selection isn't very good.

If you're in Pittsburgh, Blick has a store in Shadyside, there's also Artist & Craftsman and the Carnegie Mellon University Art Store.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

I feel that. We don't have a wide array of anything and the world would be a better place if hobby lobby burned down.

Anyway, hail to a fellow SD BattleTech player. That's a good looking Coyotl!

Thanks! We're finally getting Battletech off the ground in Sioux Falls. The community is small but it's slowly growing.

The Coyotl is for a madlad of a kid (15ish) that chose Battletech as his first miniatures game. He has an obsession with trying to kill my Roadrunner, so I felt I had to get him a Coyote analogue to chase after it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Aww that's pretty sweet

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Allow me to introduce my revolutionary new wet blending technique, in which you complete your contrast base coat, hold your mini up to the desk lamp to admire your careful work, then immediately fumble it and drop it into your rinse cup.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Toebone posted:

Allow me to introduce my revolutionary new wet blending technique, in which you complete your contrast base coat, hold your mini up to the desk lamp to admire your careful work, then immediately fumble it and drop it into your rinse cup.

Pics please!

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Toebone posted:

Oh hey a fellow newbie painter at my local store did that.

Twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Finally broke out my DSLR for some pictures, and boy am I much happier with them than with the smartphone photos. Here's my basically done Gnarlspirit Pack from Warhammer Underworlds. Pretty pleased with how they came out except for the eyes on the big guy with the hammer. First did these up with just Contrast to play them on the release weekend, then I've come back and done a lot more to them. Probably my highest effort models in a while, I've mostly been doing Contrast only lately but I think I'm going to play this war band a lot.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Muir fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 9, 2022