Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Morpheus posted:

The spirits have been too timid, it's time to start the Jaeger Earth program.

*enormous mechs made of earth and tree sprout from the island*

Eraflure posted:

Giving every single spirit a giant mech aspect would vastly improve the game imo

This is basically the next expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I get the Vasel hate but I honestly think he's gotten much more tolerable in recent years. Sam was the worst part of the Dice Tower by far and ever since he left, things just seem better overall.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

CitizenKeen posted:

I'm already getting my kid Villainous and Spirit Island for Hanukah and Christmas, because he always asks for board games where he can be a villain. (I'm aware the spirits of SI aren't the villains.) Wondering if I need one more game.

Tyrants of the Underdark? War of the Ring, with him playing the forces of Mordor? If it weren't famously out of print, Chaos in the Old World.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

CitizenKeen posted:

I'm already getting my kid Villainous and Spirit Island for Hanukah and Christmas, because he always asks for board games where he can be a villain. (I'm aware the spirits of SI aren't the villains.) Wondering if I need one more game.

Nice, he should have fun with that, too bad the new one won't be out for a while. Some other villain games, mileage may vary:

Jaws
Unmatched (card game duels where you can play as T-Rex, 3 raptors, dr jekyl, bloody mary)
Cthulhu Wars
Godzilla Tokyo Clash

Chaos in the Old World is awesome, our usual host makes us play it every year for his birthday. It's too bad it didn't get a real reskin like some of the other warhammer games did after they lost the license.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sportsgenius86 posted:

I get the Vasel hate but I honestly think he's gotten much more tolerable in recent years. Sam was the worst part of the Dice Tower by far and ever since he left, things just seem better overall.

Vasel isn't disliked because of his attitude towards games. He's disliked because he's part of the Barefoot and Pregnant movement.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It's both. He's only popular because of first mover advantage in the space, otherwise he brings absolutely nothing to his own content which is why he smartly created an umbrella to try and suck in any and every competitor and it worked to keep him relevant in the process.

His personal life takes him from an obnoxious presence to a very hate-able person.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Jedit posted:

Vasel isn't disliked because of his attitude towards games. He's disliked because he's part of the Barefoot and Pregnant movement.

I know that, but I feel like the hobby has influenced him for the better in that regard. Maybe Tom's just better at hiding it now. I don't know. But from an outside perspective, I think he's loosened up quite a bit over time.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

CitizenKeen posted:

Me: "Hey [kid], what do you want for the holidays?"
Kid: "Board games."
Me: "Yup, so you said. Any kind of board game you want?"
Kid: "Can you find a game where we're villains?"
Me: "You already asked for that. Anything else?"
Kid: "Specifically, can we be, like, earth elementals that eat people?"
Me: "... Ooh, that's a tough one. I'll see if I can find one, but that's probably pretty hard to find."

gently caress, night 8 of Hanukah is going to loving rock.

"My Father's Work" maybe? Or is that too heavy

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

bagrada posted:

Nice, he should have fun with that, too bad the new one won't be out for a while. Some other villain games, mileage may vary:

Jaws
Unmatched (card game duels where you can play as T-Rex, 3 raptors, dr jekyl, bloody mary)
Cthulhu Wars
Godzilla Tokyo Clash

Puerto Rico, Mombasa, John Company, Maricabo?

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

It's both. He's only popular because of first mover advantage in the space, otherwise he brings absolutely nothing to his own content which is why he smartly created an umbrella to try and suck in any and every competitor and it worked to keep him relevant in the process.

Yeah. I've never seen him go really go beyond "this is what the game looks like" and "this is an awkward recounting of some of the rules/systems". As for the actual "review", it's usually little more than "it is fun" or "it is boring".

In general the state of board game criticism is pretty basic. It feels like often reviews come after one or two (or zero) plays, such that reviewers might not really know whether they like a game - let alone be able to describe why. And that's what I find valuable in this forum - people getting into "why". Couple pages ago, someone was talking about how they were thinking about a game between plays. To me, that's super important; I want a game with memorable narratives and "nameable" strategies. I want to hear to what extent a game conveys its theme. The kind of garbage people talk about here.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah by far the most important indicator as to whether or not I liked a game I just learned for the first time is whether or not I'm still thinking about it the day after.

(the second most is if I immediately start looking at the strategy forum to see if there's depth, openings, etc, not to get better necessarily but just to see if it exists)

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

jmzero posted:

In general the state of board game criticism is pretty basic. It feels like often reviews come after one or two (or zero) plays, such that reviewers might not really know whether they like a game - let alone be able to describe why.

So this is getting towards one thing that I keep harping on about when I hear someone complained that a reviewer played a certain game "only" X number of times. Yes, some number may not be enough to know if a game is good or great or worth your money. But on the other hand, I think it's important to remember that sometimes it only takes one play to know that a game loving sucks.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Magnetic North posted:

So this is getting towards one thing that I keep harping on about when I hear someone complained that a reviewer played a certain game "only" X number of times. Yes, some number may not be enough to know if a game is good or great or worth your money. But on the other hand, I think it's important to remember that sometimes it only takes one play to know that a game loving sucks.

I'd like to see more retrospective reviews, where a reviewer looks at how a game has held up over time, how the experience changes over dozens (or hundreds!) of plays, how expansions and sequels fit in, and so on. I know NPI has done a few but I think it's an interesting and unfilled niche.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I'd like to see more retrospective reviews, where a reviewer looks at how a game has held up over time, how the experience changes over dozens (or hundreds!) of plays, how expansions and sequels fit in, and so on. I know NPI has done a few but I think it's an interesting and unfilled niche.

There is the long view podcast as well, but that has disappointed me, the guy they got on for Indonesia had only Played it 12ish times.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Magnetic North posted:

Yeah, I think I can accept a negative review after 1 or 2 plays. I've played lots of random cafe games that I wrote off half way through my first play. Maybe there's a few gems I missed - but I bet I'd never change my mind on 95% of them (even if some may be good games, I think mostly I could tell they "weren't for me").

But a good chunk of reviewers seem happy to do a glowing review of a game they've played 1.5 times (and will never play again).

jmzero fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 8, 2022

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast used to do that, where they'd talk about the featured review from 1 year ago, but the pandemic kinda messed that up IIRC. It was always interesting to hear "Yeah, I liked this game at the time, but I have not thought about it one single time in 12 months."

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Magnetic North posted:

The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast used to do that, where they'd talk about the featured review from 1 year ago, but the pandemic kinda messed that up IIRC. It was always interesting to hear "Yeah, I liked this game at the time, but I have not thought about it one single time in 12 months."

So Very Wrong About Games does this. It's called their As of Yet Unnamed Retrospective Section, aka AYURS, or Ah-yur-ris

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Magnetic North posted:

SVWAG podcast also does this on most episodes, I also find it valuable to see whether they had gone back to it or written it off.

Efb phone posting :argh:

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Jedit posted:

At the beginning of the pandemic, Tom invited a new guest to his Boardgame Breakfast segment, a woman who would talk about boardgames you could introduce to your kids during confinement. What a wholesome thoughful thing to offer families going through a very difficult time!

.....she was advertising Biblical Womanhood. Tom took advantage of the pandemic to expose his audience to that.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
My friends have played Twilight Imperium once, and have brought up playing it again. They know I like cats (I volunteer at a cat adoption place and have done charity Magic tournaments for it) so they're offering me either the Cat Traders or Naaz-Rokha Alliance. I don't think I could trade and hustle for 10+ hours straight, and I like the idea of black cats and their little goblin friends. Anyone have any recommendations for strategy and stuff before I go into a full day of gaming sight unseen?

Wheeler W Wetherby
Sep 30, 2004

• Has an O-level in camel-hygiene
  • Can count up to 4

Doctor Spaceman posted:

That's one of my favorite things about SVWAG. In addition to the AYURIS, they quickly run through everything they played in the week, even if its just for a couple minutes. It's interesting to see what the hosts return to and how their opinions change over time, or are validated on second or third plays.

Space Biff! does interesting retrospectives of his top X games of the previous year too.

Wheeler W Wetherby fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 8, 2022

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

LifeLynx posted:

My friends have played Twilight Imperium once, and have brought up playing it again. They know I like cats (I volunteer at a cat adoption place and have done charity Magic tournaments for it) so they're offering me either the Cat Traders or Naaz-Rokha Alliance. I don't think I could trade and hustle for 10+ hours straight, and I like the idea of black cats and their little goblin friends. Anyone have any recommendations for strategy and stuff before I go into a full day of gaming sight unseen?

The NaazRokha seem borderline broken to me, so should be great for a first timer!

Make sure you read, re read and then remind yourself again periodically of their special abilities, explore a whole ton, and build and upgrade their mechs as a priority, and you should do fine, regardless what else you do because those faction traits are so powerful.

For TI the main point to stress to new players is, always be working towards scoring points. All of your thought processes of what to do next should always factor in how it will score. You should start scoring from turn 2 / 3, and score every turn after that. It sounds like an obvious thing on paper but in practice it's easy to get distracted.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

So, here's Bigney's first description of flamecraft on SVWAG:

"There's a particular type of mediocrity that inspires in me such rage and loathing that is beyond all proportions to the game's faults"

That's...that's about how I felt playing it.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

A particular type of mediocrity is how I would describe Bigney, yes. Did he ever apologize for calling his listeners fascists because they want to punch nazis?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

A particular type of mediocrity is how I would describe Bigney, yes. Did he ever apologize for calling his listeners fascists because they want to punch nazis?

No, and I honestly didn't care about that and still don't.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Mags is searching for a second person who cares about that and it's been years. Me, I turned against SVWAG because I noticed I did not respect Bigny's opinion. Stevenson's Rocket over Chicago Express, Age of Industry over Brass? These are not the thoughts of a reasonable person.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

True on both counts. Mmm, brass and chex.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

silvergoose posted:

So, here's Bigney's first description of flamecraft on SVWAG:

"There's a particular type of mediocrity that inspires in me such rage and loathing that is beyond all proportions to the game's faults"

That's...that's about how I felt playing it.
That makes Bigney sound... kind of insufferable?

Feeling rage and loathing towards something that's average to play but pretty to look at is the type of overreaction that leads to the gnashing of teeth about Wingspan. Snobbery for the sake of self aggrandisement is kind of par for the course in the hobby space though so here we are.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Redundant posted:

That makes Bigney sound... kind of insufferable?

Feeling rage and loathing towards something that's average to play but pretty to look at is the type of overreaction that leads to the gnashing of teeth about Wingspan. Snobbery for the sake of self aggrandisement is kind of par for the course in the hobby space though so here we are.

He'd probably be the first to admit he's kind of insufferable. And often So Very Wrong.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mr. Squishy posted:

Mags is searching for a second person who cares about that and it's been years.

I’m the person Bigny argued about it with on Twitter and I don’t even care. He is a self described capitalist after all. It’s worth noting that they’ve otherwise been on the progressive side of every issue and outspoken about it.

His snobbery about Flamecraft was just a 10 second bit of hyperbole for a funny introduction before they had like 30 minutes of substantive discussion. That’s the inverse of what you get from most outlets so I’ll take it. Insufferable snob is kind of his brand, but Walker has enough charm to make up for it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

CitizenKeen posted:

Gloom
Merchants and Marauders
Star Wars Outer Rim
Betrayal in the House on the Hill
Terror in Meeple City

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Boardgames where you can be a villain? What about Puerto Rico, Brass, 1830, Archipelago, or any of the other euros where you're a capitalist getting rich off varying degrees of exploitating labour? Your kids will love it.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Mr. Squishy posted:

Boardgames where you can be a villain? What about Puerto Rico, Brass, 1830, Archipelago, or any of the other euros where you're a capitalist getting rich off varying degrees of exploitating labour? Your kids will love it.

Responding to you even though you're not the first person to make the joke: Haha, yes, capitalism is evil. My kid doesn't want to be evil, he wants to be "rascally" and "break the rules" and "be a big stompy creature and eat people". And to be clear, my kid doesn't actually want to eat people. Nor is he old enough to really engage with the idea that becoming an entrenched oppressor and violently maintaining the status quo is the true path to villainy.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Did anyone recommend King of Tokyo/New York yet? Terror in Meeple City? Those are quintessentially that and solid games to play with kids and adults.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Darn, other people made the joke? I should read the thread more closely.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

CitizenKeen posted:

Responding to you even though you're not the first person to make the joke: Haha, yes, capitalism is evil. My kid doesn't want to be evil, he wants to be "rascally" and "break the rules" and "be a big stompy creature and eat people". And to be clear, my kid doesn't actually want to eat people. Nor is he old enough to really engage with the idea that becoming an entrenched oppressor and violently maintaining the status quo is the true path to villainy.

Container

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Black Fleet, but it's kind of hard to get ahold of these days. Your best bet would be a bgg trade. It's like Merchants and Marauders at a family weight, everyone simultaneously controls a merchant ship, a pirate ship, and the navy. It's incredibly mean but somehow doesn't hurt.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

Mags is searching for a second person who cares about that and it's been years. Me, I turned against SVWAG because I noticed I did not respect Bigny's opinion.

I also don't respect his opinion that wanting to punch nazis makes you a fascist. You and me, we're like kindred spirits. And I don't mention because I want someone else to care. I mention it because bad actors get fat on people's ignorance, so it's important people know. I mean, no one bats an eye when people mention Vasel's quiverfull christianity for the umpteen billionth time, because some people might want to know that about a content creator they might otherwise follow.

It's something I learned from a certain podcaster who would (rightly) call board game designer Phil Eklund a fascist every time he came up. Can't remember the podcaster's name though.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Magnetic North posted:

I also don't respect his opinion that wanting to punch nazis makes you a fascist. You and me, we're like kindred spirits. And I don't mention because I want someone else to care. I mention it because bad actors get fat on people's ignorance, so it's important people know. I mean, no one bats an eye when people mention Vasel's quiverfull christianity for the umpteen billionth time, because some people might want to know that about a content creator they might otherwise follow.

It's something I learned from a certain podcaster who would (rightly) call board game designer Phil Eklund a fascist every time he came up. Can't remember the podcaster's name though.

I speak for everyone. Decency and goodness (everything really) hangs on me getting the last word in petty slap fights. I am the protagonist of SA and everyone is cheering me on in my fight against the villains (eg. the podcast hosts who don't respect my authority as hero).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Bigney != Vasel, and if you can't parse why seek help.