Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kru
Oct 5, 2003

The shitposters bible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Slugworth posted:

They were also meant to cost the same amount as a traditional asphalt shingle roof, when you took into account your electrical savings. You know, the 200 thousand dollars of electricity you were gonna use over those 30 years.

In a hot climate, a white-painted metal roof will get you energy savings just by reflecting the sun's light back into space. But that isn't high tech wnough.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

https://twitter.com/MetalShayne2000/status/1589436369419456513

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

My twitter usage is just having https://tweetdeck.twitter.com open in a tab with the Better Tweetdeck extension and various columns set for searches of things I'm interested in. I tweet maybe once a week and with hardly any followers it's just me screaming into the void. It's a solid stream of mostly relevant tweets and no ads.

I imagine it's going to be on the chopping block soon as it's a useful service that allows users to curate what content they see.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bad Purchase posted:

you aren't limited to viewing only stuff in that topic focused local instance, you can follow people or retweet stuff from any server that's linked up and it all shows up in one feed without channel or server hopping.

discord is a more like forums, with channels/threads and posts always appear in chronological order per thread. mastodon is more twitter-like, less conversational in its organization with a lot of stuff intermixed. discord is better for having conversations and organizing information, and twitter/mastodon are more like an interactive news feed that is (or can be) user-amplified (and also gives you the chance to scream at celebrities).

both are better than the truly psychotic nested comment style of social media like reddit :barf:

critical yes/no question that will decide if I try Mastodon.

Are there moderators for a topic?

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

My twitter usage is just having https://tweetdeck.twitter.com open in a tab with the Better Tweetdeck extension and various columns set for searches of things I'm interested in. I tweet maybe once a week and with hardly any followers it's just me screaming into the void. It's a solid stream of mostly relevant tweets and no ads.

I imagine it's going to be on the chopping block soon as it's a useful service that allows users to curate what content they see.

If they get rid of it, it would be surprising. From what I am hearing a lot of employees with deep knowledge of the site left. They would know how to turn it off or filter it in the f5s. They wouldn't help Musk turn it off because they are in the mindset: gently caress Musk. Plus the people still there might like it out there and are not reporting its existence especially if it's all metal services.

I do security audits and I constantly find apis the client had no clue were still running. And these are small companies that don't have as many endpoints as Twitter and all their services can be listed on a single piece of paper.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 8, 2022

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

lol that's a good joke

for anyone unfamiliar with that song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezoOnI95BpE

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I am gonna lmao if Tesla uses any part of my earlier-posted business plan

Double lmao if they don't hire me to staunch the bleeding

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

EVIL Gibson posted:

critical yes/no question that will decide if I try Mastodon.

Are there moderators for a topic?

depends on what you mean by topic, i guess. i don't have a lot of experience with how moderation works, but i think the answer is that each instance has admins who handle reports and decide if accounts need to be flagged as sensitive (hidden to users who don't opt in) or suspended (hidden and banned). all moderation is local -- an admin from another instance can't take action against and account on another instance.

if an instance becomes known as having lax moderation or allows content that is undesirable, the whole thing can be blocked by other instances. this happens pretty often. i'm not sure how blocking an instance works if you follow someone there. i think there's a way to do it so that users can still see the accounts they follow on a blocked instance, they just won't see any other content from that instance in the feed or searches.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

He wears a short skirt and a lonnnnnnnnnnnng jacket

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

EU can’t ban Twitter if Elon bans Europe from Twitter first

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!

https://twitter.com/boredgamelad/status/1589700278101905408

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

This, but the opening to “the distance”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_HoMkkRHv8

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/not-just-job-cuts-elon-171500626.html

The billionaire entrepreneur cut close to 3,700 jobs at Twitter, or half of the workforce, via email last week.

Musk has also removed Twitter’s “Days of rest” — monthly days off for employees to rest and recharge — in his push to implement a “24/7” work culture.

-----

the funniest part about this article is that immediately afterwards it tells you to invest in cryptocurrency and tesla to be more like elon.. like what.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Just loling at the idea of being the richest man on the planet and spending even five minutes scrolling through my mentions on Twitter and getting mad. loving use your wealth and have a non miserable life you stupid try-hard

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Total Party Kill posted:

Just loling at the idea of being the richest man on the planet and spending even five minutes scrolling through my mentions on Twitter and getting mad. loving use your wealth and have a non miserable life you stupid try-hard

Might as well ask a cat to eat a vegetarian diet

He was cursed with the personality that makes him do these things and nothing can fix that

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Total Party Kill posted:

He should hang out with Notch

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Strong Sauce posted:

the funniest part about this article is that immediately afterwards it tells you to invest in cryptocurrency and tesla to be more like elon.. like what.
Yeah, that’s from some terrible investment blog, the writer clearly loves El Musko. This says it all:

quote:

If you like what Musk is doing to improve efficiency and reduce costs at Twitter, unfortunately, you can no longer invest in it. The company is now private.

But you can still invest alongside Elon Musk — here’s a look at how.

“Wow, improving efficiency! Musk so smart!”

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Bad Purchase posted:

if an instance becomes known as having lax moderation or allows content that is undesirable, the whole thing can be blocked by other instances. this happens pretty often. i'm not sure how blocking an instance works if you follow someone there. i think there's a way to do it so that users can still see the accounts they follow on a blocked instance, they just won't see any other content from that instance in the feed or searches.

I think I read some japanese instances are blocked for... reasons.

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003

Total Party Kill posted:

His personality disorder prevents him from doing that

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

feelix posted:

I made this joke last week to someone and then found out how similar Notch's trajectory since Microsoft bought Minecraft. Notch is full Qanon. They probably would enjoy hanging out.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He should fist himself in the bum until he stops caring about material things and takes up monastic onanism.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

There's only one Blue Tick worthy of respect

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Mr. Lobe posted:

Might as well ask a cat to eat a vegetarian diet

Musk is an obligate dunkee

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Ehud posted:

lol that's a good joke

for anyone unfamiliar with that song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezoOnI95BpE

Ever heard of DJ Cummerbund?

https://youtu.be/Et7ahzNqFlg

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

goatface posted:

He should fist himself in the bum until he stops caring about material things and takes up monastic onanism.

:hmmyes: the true path to enlightenment!

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

pixaal posted:

I made this joke last week to someone and then found out how similar Notch's trajectory since Microsoft bought Minecraft. Notch is full Qanon. They probably would enjoy hanging out.

There's considerable evidence that Notch has not physically left that mansion he bought since he moved in

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

fuckin lmaooo

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
What I hear about Mastadon is that it is twitterised reddit. Your feed is r/all and all the instances are subreddits.

So that system (in gist), but without reddits actual comment format. Also the subreddits can ignore each other.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Stink Billyums posted:

elon running twitter is like that libertarian town that got overrun by bears

I simultaneously have no idea and know exactly of what you're talking about.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

syntaxfunction posted:

What I hear about Mastadon is that it is twitterised reddit. Your feed is r/all and all the instances are subreddits.

So that system (in gist), but without reddits actual comment format. Also the subreddits can ignore each other.

Every "mastodon is like..." I see is somehow a worse description of the site than the last

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

feelix posted:

I just had this horrible image of those two binging on the candy wall and going on a 5yo-level manic sugar "idea" rampage

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

DrPossum posted:

I just had this horrible image of those two binging on the candy wall and going on a 5yo-level manic sugar "idea" rampage

They can exchange tips on pretending the work of others is their own!

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

DrPossum posted:

I simultaneously have no idea and know exactly of what you're talking about.

There was a book and several news articles written about it a few years ago.

https://newrepublic.com/article/159662/libertarian-walks-into-bear-book-review-free-town-project

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s like if Digg and Fark were more in your face

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

syntaxfunction posted:

True. Although Reddit still has central admins by design that need to get involved to moderate and ban subreddits. They've also been known to overstep and get involved in shady administrative actions when their favorite politician/celebrity is doing something bad that they want to suppress. If Musk buys Reddit, he can totally take full control of the discourse there and ban any and all discussions he dislikes.

Mastodon does not have any such centralization. Nazis can totally have their own Mastodon instance forever if they like, it's just they will be in their own small echo chamber blocked from the "normal society" of instances. Musk can't buy and take control of all discourse on Mastodon.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 8, 2022

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Mastodon is like Twitter but instead of at @bigbuttsdaily you would need to do @bigbuttsdaily@butts.daily.com. Like, that's it.

Also the people who run the site aren't fascists, which is a plus.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Mastodon is like Twitter but instead of at @bigbuttsdaily you would need to do @bigbuttsdaily@butts.daily.com. Like, that's it.

Also the people who run the site aren't fascists, which is a plus.

Ha, it's like Usenet, that's oldschool

javi
Jun 5, 2004

Silly yes ... Idiotic ... yes.!
https://twitter.com/esthercrawford/status/1590109380338647040

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Lol. Just replacing it with another, harder to find marker. Classic.