Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

grassy gnoll posted:

This is Elden Ring. You can sprint all day long or ride your horse-goat, and as long as you're not fighting anything you don't use a single drop of stamina.

For sure one of the best improvements it made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Shrecknet posted:

my problem with all the soulsbornes is the same: the stamina bar.

I always run from place to place to get to the next event. have since I was holding down the B button in SMB 1.

But the stamina bar draining off of that means I show up to fights without the resource I need to participate in them, just for the crime of wanting to see more of the game.

ostensibly I am aware this is a conscious choice by From to make me walk and contemplate the area I am traversing but gently caress that. I hate the stamina bar and if there was a soulsborne that was exactly what they were but gave you unlimited run I would be so all over it in a heartbeat

Hello yes this is John Sekiro calling, and I have good news for you

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Dewgy posted:

Hello yes this is John Sekiro calling, and I have good news for you

Memories of the ape fight just non-stop running until the thing fell down, get in a few cuts, then non-stop running again.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think the stamina bar is a big part of what makes the combat feel tactical and I can't imagine them without it, but Elden Ring is way more generous with it than the older games and irrc doesn't actually drain it unless you are in combat which felt like a big step forward.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, all the souls games and bloodborne force you to consider whether committing to a combo is a good idea and when you have to let up so you have energy to spend on blocking or dodging the inevitable counterattack. Sekiro lets you go hog loving wild limited only by your reflexes and ability to read the enemy

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Sekiro sort of replaces the stamina bar with the posture meter, although it never stops you from doing an action as long as you’re deflecting correctly.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I picked up Dark Souls 1 back in the XB360 days and bounced off it hard, barely making any progress into the undead burg. A bit later I wanted a let's play by EpicNameBro and his explanation of the mechanics as he works through the tutorial and first area really helped the game click for me. The games are really not as hard as they are made out to be but they have a different deliberate play style that can be unintuitive if you are used to 3rd person ARPGs.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQDWoXFQ-YLpeEFkzeDZF1MmNQS7BDoI4

You can apply his play style and general build to Demon Souls, DS1-3 or Elden Ring. The build being Sword, Shield, go slow as you learn mechanics then once you have the combat flow down and and can curb stomp the basic enemies without a scratch, apply your knowledge and confidence to magic or more agressive play.

kzin602 fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 8, 2022

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I've only beaten Bloodborne and I really enjoyed it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
NCSoft may be making a Horizon game, and given their track record it's most likely an MMO

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I started demons souls last night. The first boss was… not what I expected from a souls game.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Hello thread, I found a PS5 today so checking in to see what's up.

Edit: code I offered in this post has been claimed.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Nov 9, 2022

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

I started demons souls last night. The first boss was… not what I expected from a souls game.

Get used to that feeling, Fromsoft hadn't yet dialed in how boss fights should work. They're more like combat puzzles than straight up fights. Flamelurker, Maneater, Penetrator, and False King will feel more familiar, they form the template for most bosses going forward. I was especially amused by Penetrator on my replay, his whole gimmick is that he has a long-distance stab move that practically every humanoid post-DeS boss can do.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Dragon God also formed a template for later bosses, but not in a good way

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Make sure you let the 1-4 boss give you a hug for a special surprise!

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I will! I love hugs!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

kzin602 posted:

I picked up Dark Souls 1 back in the XB360 days and bounced off it hard, barely making any progress into the undead burg. A bit later I wanted a let's play by EpicNameBro and his explanation of the mechanics as he works through the tutorial and first area really helped the game click for me. The games are really not as hard as they are made out to be but they have a different deliberate play style that can be unintuitive if you are used to 3rd person ARPGs.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQDWoXFQ-YLpeEFkzeDZF1MmNQS7BDoI4

100% except for me it was NorthernLion, watching him explain some of the stranger mechanics and seeing how he beat a boss if struggled with them was the hand holding I needed to get through the game

that From the Dark playthrough by EpicNameBro is fantastic though, its probably the most complete long play of the game i've seen

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Shrecknet posted:

my problem with all the soulsbornes is the same: the stamina bar.

I always run from place to place to get to the next event. have since I was holding down the B button in SMB 1.

But the stamina bar draining off of that means I show up to fights without the resource I need to participate in them, just for the crime of wanting to see more of the game.

ostensibly I am aware this is a conscious choice by From to make me walk and contemplate the area I am traversing but gently caress that. I hate the stamina bar and if there was a soulsborne that was exactly what they were but gave you unlimited run I would be so all over it in a heartbeat

that’s not why. sprinting uses stamina in dark souls because if it didn’t then you would be too fast for the enemies to keep up. it’d be trivial to close the gap with the enemy or get distance from them to heal or dash circles around them while they can’t hit you. In elden ring they changed it so the game considers “in combat” and “out of combat” different states and when you’re out of combat you can sprint without using stamina

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Stolen from the COD thread but lol

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

veni veni veni posted:

Every morning, including wind down. Then I lift.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If CoD started using your own biometrics to determine your character's stamina & runspeed then the obesity epidemic in this country would be solved overnight.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

abelwingnut posted:

well, thanks for all the replies.

unfortunately they do not sound like my thing. i've also seen a lot of talk about how difficult the gameplay is. like you need to be quite skilled at timing and figuring out the right combinations and stuff. and...i am just not very good at that part. it's why i mostly stick to games that live and die by their narrative. so yea, these may not be for me.

oh well. plenty of other games out there. thanks, again.

For what it's worth, if you have the disposable income I'd try out Elden Ring regardless. I had basically the same feelings as you about the Souls games and I was cheerfully playing Horizon when Elden Ring came out... but my cousin was really into it and I figured what the hell, I'll try it and I'll just stop playing when I get bored or it gets too hard. Then I played 150 hours in my first playthrough and got 2/3 of the way through a second 40 hour playthrough before I finally put it down.

Then I played Demon's Souls next because I was really into this From poo poo now.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

exquisite tea posted:

If CoD started using your own biometrics to determine your character's stamina & runspeed then the obesity epidemic in this country would be solved overnight.

This is what those VR treadmill plates are for

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Hooking the biometric scanner to a dog to create a warrior with limitless energy

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Elden Ring is worth playing for the adventure of it. The world is well crafted with magnificent organic reveals and a strong sense of exploration.

Don't go in expecting a vibrant world or whatever. It will feel dead and it's meant to. You need to fill the world with colour by reading about enemies and stuff through item descriptions. You get a little exposition from characters but nobody is going to provide you with loads of info. Think of yourself as part arpg clothes hanger and part detective.

Or do what I do and kill everything mindlessly.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

haveblue posted:

NCSoft may be making a Horizon game, and given their track record it's most likely an MMO

how popular is Horizon. maybe I can’t see past my own opinion but I thought the first one was cool and the second one is ‘too much’. But they got this, a tv show, and a vr game.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
It is a fun setting

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

MechaSeinfeld posted:

how popular is Horizon. maybe I can’t see past my own opinion but I thought the first one was cool and the second one is ‘too much’. But they got this, a tv show, and a vr game.

It got a Lego set too, it does seem to have more reach than you’d think from the level of chatter it gets online.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it’s a first party IP obviously they’re gonna milk the poo poo out of it

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Horizon 1 sold, like, as many copies as every pre-ER From game combined

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

lmfao

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I played Cold War because it came with my video card and it's the same game over and over again, why does it always sell like hotcakes? Single player isn't worth the 70$ for and the multiplayer always seems to be a cesspool.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

veni veni veni posted:

lamo

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

History Comes Inside! posted:

It got a Lego set too, it does seem to have more reach than you’d think from the level of chatter it gets online.

I guess that’s what I mean. [guy with a sonic 3 av voice] can it be that I’m out of touch with what’s popular

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

infraboy posted:

I played Cold War because it came with my video card and it's the same game over and over again, why does it always sell like hotcakes?

they're good OP (cold war sucked tho)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

infraboy posted:

I played Cold War because it came with my video card and it's the same game over and over again, why does it always sell like hotcakes? Single player isn't worth the 70$ for and the multiplayer always seems to be a cesspool.
At least for me, the multiplayer has historically been a good mindless shooter to play while listening to music/podcasts or watching YouTube poo poo or whatever. Though yeah, it is more or less the same experience over and over again. Sometimes it's noticeably different for the better like Advanced Warfare's sick movement system, but that's the exception, not the rule.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

JBP posted:

Elden Ring is worth playing for the adventure of it. The world is well crafted with magnificent organic reveals and a strong sense of exploration.

Don't go in expecting a vibrant world or whatever. It will feel dead and it's meant to. You need to fill the world with colour by reading about enemies and stuff through item descriptions. You get a little exposition from characters but nobody is going to provide you with loads of info. Think of yourself as part arpg clothes hanger and part detective.

Or do what I do and kill everything mindlessly.

The best thing about Elden Ring is that it’s Souls combat with more toys than you’ll ever need or be able to use on a single playthrough. Brilliant of them to stop pretending to balance and just give players shitloads of cool stuff for whatever build.

And considering how it sold, I’m really excited what they do next, after the Armored Core thing, anyhow.

Though I have never played an Armored Core, and since I love From, maybe I should check it out? What’s a good place to start with that series? And is there anything out for PS4? Or would I be going further back to check out the series?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The last armored core came out on PS3 and the franchise is way overdue a return

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
They are making a new armored core game, or a new mech game that’s supposed to have more souls like combat I’ve heard. Lance McDonald has basically confirmed it, and some screenshots got leaked on reset era

Edit: I was just googling about the new armored core game and found out that dark souls 2 is the only souls game made in a different engine than the rest, which explains why it feels so weird and clunky compared to like Bloodborne or even dark souls 1.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 8, 2022

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

History Comes Inside! posted:

The last armored core came out on PS3 and the franchise is way overdue a return

Also, IMO, the best AC games 4 and 4A (the Miyazaki ones) are not available digitally on PS3, only Verdict Day is. Though you can pickup disc copies for cheap and I imagine even PS3 emulation is pretty solid by this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

is the base required for vertical orientation? keeping it on limits some of my storage options. it's not going to be in an area where it can get knocked over or anything, just want to make sure it doesn't affect airflow