Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

barclayed posted:

Sorry to revive an older thread but... finally beat the HK fight on the first ending, and I'm now working to finish up the Hornet quest, starting with Traitor Lord.. Trial of the Conqueror is kicking my rear end right now!

Don't apologize, I was going to revive it to talk about my new favorite charm anyway. Speaking of which, have you tried Weaversong, if you have it? That helped me a lot to keep my health up during trials 2 and 3.

(Late gameplay spoilers below)

First, a bit of context: I've reinstalled Hollow Knight for the fifth time to try and beat P3, P4 and P5 plus PoP which were my last big goals left. I figured I'd start a new playthrough, this time using Sharp Shadow as soon as I can grab it, to get used to the new dash distance (I couldn't acclimate to the new distance in the past so avoided using it against NKG, which probably made that fight harder than it needed to be).

SS helped a bit with Sly, but only for his phase 1. Trying to attack him would get me hit and blasting his phase 2 with spells to death just wasn't realistic. So I started trying other charm setups that would expose me less or let me use spells more. And, well, Weaversong does both.

The Weaversong damage is not much, but it does add up over time, especially against bosses with short windows of opportunity for attack (Sly, PV, NKG). Moreover, when combined with Grubsong the spiderlings give you a ton of soul. Because you don't need to put yourself at risk to leech soul out of enemies, it's much easier to find healing windows, and if you're not getting hit (or don't find said healing windows) you can make the fight go faster by throwing spells at the boss. It's a lot like Kingsoul, but at a fraction of the price, and it does damage on its own as a bonus.

It also creates some funny moments. Sometimes you'll hear one of the Watcher Knights scream and die offscreen, or NKG will teleport next to you and get immediately dogpiled into a stagger, or Failed Champion will leap over you but topple over in the middle of the air. The incidental comedy may not be a selling point, but it definitely enhances the experience.

Thanks to Weaversong I bulldozed all over P3 as well as Sly himself. The combination of Sharp Shadow, Grubsong and Weaversong lets me do a ton of damage with minimum exposure and keeps me consistently near-topped with soul throughout the whole pantheon. It worked so well, that I decided I'd stick with my new best spider friends and see how far they'd carry me.

Allow me to sound like an infomercial for a moment: Before I used Weaversong, beating NKG took me 2-3 weeks of practice. Now that I'm using Weaversong, beating PV took me 5 days. Today, just one week later, I've defeated both of them on Ascended difficulty. I've practiced beating the entirety of P5 enough that I feel confident enough to reach AR. I've seen enough of her to know she is going to be a nightmare, but hey, one step at a time.

This game is hard as hell but it does give you tools to overcome it. I don't have good reflexes, nor do I pogo jump all that well (this post is long enough already without me going into my Path of Pain story, I can go into that some other time), but I've still managed to get all the way here, by using a charm that's generally considered to be middle of the pack or even subpar because it suits my playstyle. If that isn't an indicator of amazing game design, I don't know what is.

tl;dr Friendship ended with Quick Slash, now Weaversong is my best friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"
i have not tried weaversong yet!! the parts that are throwing me for a loop in trial of the conqueror is where you're confined to the walls.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

barclayed posted:

i have not tried weaversong yet!! the parts that are throwing me for a loop in trial of the conqueror is where you're confined to the walls.

Hardest part of the trial for sure, iirc leading to desperately finding time to heal when the ground comes back after the beating you've taken. Summon cheese works for the Arena iirc, but there's no need for it and it's just a bunch of practice. Some people swear by the charm that lets you charge up nail techniques faster, but I'm a luddite and just got a bunch of +nail range and blundered through it. Keep at it (with breaks to explore elsewhere as you please), the arena gauntlets are harsh but fair.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Nailmaster's Glory is really good for the trials specifically because charged attacks let you one shot primal aspids and armoured squits.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

there's like two specific situations where i would say going for nail arts is a strict improvement over regular strikes and the airborne parts of the trials are one of them, but if you can get used to pulling them off regularly that charm is a lot of value for just 1 notch

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The nail masters have such a good scam going: they get people to play them to teach things that are so rarely ever used / mostly forgotten about that no one knows if they were actually taught to be actually good at it?

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

Serephina posted:

Hardest part of the trial for sure, iirc leading to desperately finding time to heal when the ground comes back after the beating you've taken. Summon cheese works for the Arena iirc, but there's no need for it and it's just a bunch of practice. Some people swear by the charm that lets you charge up nail techniques faster, but I'm a luddite and just got a bunch of +nail range and blundered through it. Keep at it (with breaks to explore elsewhere as you please), the arena gauntlets are harsh but fair.

My current build for TotC is Soul Catcher, Quick, Focus, Brubsong, Longnail, and Nailmaster's Glory. I love nailmaster because, like SirSamVimes said, I can oneshot aspids.

gently caress aspids.

I appreciate everyone's advice.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

barclayed posted:

My current build for TotC is Soul Catcher, Quick, Focus, Brubsong, Longnail, and Nailmaster's Glory. I love nailmaster because, like SirSamVimes said, I can oneshot aspids.

gently caress aspids.

I appreciate everyone's advice.

Vengeful spirit also one-shots aspids.

Embrace the shaman stone.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
So lately I've decided to try my hand at the Pantheon of Hallownest. I gotta say, Markoth-GPZ-Failed Champion-NKG is one hell of a series to have to do in a row without a bench, especially since it takes like half an hour to get there for each attempt.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Zote? Failed Champion? NKG? (And PV + AR as well!) Yeah for sure, I learned their tricks and tells and patterns and such, and got to the point of reliably beating them by the end.

Markoth tho?? God, I became LESS trash at his bullshit, but I never got actually good at reliably beating him with minimal damage. That jerk can go gently caress himself in moth hell   t:mad:t

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Failed Champion is a blessing in disguise in that gauntlet because once you stagger him and his head pops out, you can keep him staggered forever as long as you keep hitting his armor and not his head. So you can hit his armor, dreamnail his armor, hit his armor, heal yourself, hit his armor etc. in an infinite loop to max out your health and soul and go into the NKG fight completely topped off.

Markoth + Zote is certainly a big loving curve to get over, though.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

BioThermo posted:

Failed Champion is a blessing in disguise in that gauntlet because once you stagger him and his head pops out, you can keep him staggered forever as long as you keep hitting his armor and not his head. So you can hit his armor, dreamnail his armor, hit his armor, heal yourself, hit his armor etc. in an infinite loop to max out your health and soul and go into the NKG fight completely topped off.

Markoth + Zote is certainly a big loving curve to get over, though.
that's cheating. reported

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Working as intended.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Martman posted:

that's cheating. reported

silksong is going to keep track of cheating reports from the previous game, players who don't have any cheating reports will be able to unlock Hornet's hadouken move in a secret area

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

QuarkJets posted:

silksong is going to keep track of cheating reports from the previous game, players who don't have any cheating reports will be able to unlock Hornet's hadouken move in a secret area

Genius way to drive additional sales for clean copies of Hollow Knight.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Nervous posted:

Genius way to drive additional sales for clean copies of Hollow Knight.

They examine your immortal soul.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

silksong is already out, they only released it for those of us who didn't cheat at hollow knight

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Rude of them to count my experimentation with the Randomizer as cheating

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

quick, what's everybody's favorite area? mines queens gardens or crystal peak

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
kingdoms edge just has this weird atmosphere especially with the music and i love it

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Greenpath for sure. I like the way it's absolutely full of life/enemies but many of them either ambush you or run from you, helps give it that feeling of being a living ecosystem instead of just another dungeon.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah I really like greenpath too, it's such a lovely little area and not too punishing.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

Feels Villeneuve posted:

kingdoms edge just has this weird atmosphere especially with the music and i love it

i like kingdom's edge too! the little jumpy guys are very satisfying to fight with steady body on. just spamming attack lol.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Greenpath for sure. I like the way it's absolutely full of life/enemies but many of them either ambush you or run from you, helps give it that feeling of being a living ecosystem instead of just another dungeon.

Organza Quiz posted:

Yeah I really like greenpath too, it's such a lovely little area and not too punishing.

for some reason i always combine greenpath and queen's gardens in my head. they feel like extensions of one another. but yeah!! i love both. 1st hornet fight is still one of my faves.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

barclayed posted:

quick, what's everybody's favorite area? mines queens gardens or crystal peak

literally same

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

City of Tears, easily. That piano with the sound of soft rainfall is incredible.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

City of Tears was where the game really grabbed my attention and showed off the scope and ambition of the game so I'd have to go with that. I kinda like Ancient Cistern Basin too, just for the ominous bad vibes you get when you first go down there

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 8, 2022

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I really liked Deepnest it had such a cool atmosphere

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

No Dignity posted:

City of Tears was where the game really grabbed my attention and showed off the scope and ambition of the game so I'd have to go with that. I kinda like Ancient Cistern too, just for the ominous bad vibes you get when you first go down there

The thing I really like about Ancient Basin is that while the rest of the game is fairly monochrome, it all has a bluish tint but the Ancient Basin is truly grey.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

SirSamVimes posted:

City of Tears, easily. That piano with the sound of soft rainfall is incredible.

this is true. i use city of tears ambience to study. however, i hated the mantis enemies.

No Dignity posted:

City of Tears was where the game really grabbed my attention and showed off the scope and ambition of the game so I'd have to go with that. I kinda like Ancient Cistern too, just for the ominous bad vibes you get when you first go down there

ooh, ancient basin is very cool as well. the broken vessels down there in the chasm always freaked me out. lore-wise it's awesome.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

hatty posted:

I really liked Deepnest it had such a cool atmosphere

you are the first person i've ever heard who likes deepnest. i do have to admit nosk is a pretty fun fight though. dreamshield makes it goated.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

First time into City of Tears, watching the rain with my best friend Quirrel.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
I love them all. Top three would be Greenpath, City of Tears, and the as of yet unmentioned Fungal Wastes. I would have an easier time picking least favorite (Royal Waterways).

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

This. It really stands out.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

barclayed posted:

you are the first person i've ever heard who likes deepnest. i do have to admit nosk is a pretty fun fight though. dreamshield makes it goated.

I love Deepnest. The environments in the game have an amazing progression: here's this mostly gray sad sort of place, very clearly the outskirts of a fallen kingdom; next here's this green place that feels alive, that's warm and foreboding but only in the sense that it feels like it's protecting itself and not actively trying to hurt you; and next there's this weird brown mushroom place that feels very different and insular; and then you're in the sad blue city where it never stops raining; and so on and so on.

And then you fall into Deepnest, and the color isn't a color, it's just dark. It does such a good job of feeling hostile and reminding you that, hey, that cute game you've been playing with all the bugs? Yeah, they're bugs. And they are in your skin and in your hair and scurrying just out of reach when you get close. And then you get deeper into the spiders' territory and it somehow starts to feel more oppressive and that they really, really don't want you here.

I just love that there's a place where the infection gave up, that the all-powerful force just said "nah you keep it."

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

moosferatu posted:

I love them all. Top three would be Greenpath, City of Tears, and the as of yet unmentioned Fungal Wastes. I would have an easier time picking least favorite (Royal Waterways).

Fungal Wastes's bgm is amazing, in an area of the map surrounded by amazing bgm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhUqu-g0pVY

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
City of Tears is where the game went from something that I was playing simply for youtube content to a game that I genuinely love.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The point I stopped liking the game and started loving the game was the Mantis Lords.

barclayed posted:

Deepnest is really really good and effective at making you feel incredibly unwelcome. I love it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I got brutally owned by the mantis lords first time, then I went back after a few other areas and nothing feels more badass as when they charge at you one after another and you nail both backstabs

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

UP AND ADAM posted:

Fungal Wastes's bgm is amazing, in an area of the map surrounded by amazing bgm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhUqu-g0pVY

Truth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I'm gonna say Greenpath, because it's mostly cute, and the room with the big spikey bugs gauntlet has the hands down best piece of the already awesome soundtrack.

:colbert: