Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I got a turntable at a thrift store. Don't think I've ever bought a record at a thrift store though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
One of the best parts of thrift stores is going in to find great things at bargain prices, then reselling those to people who actually want them at scalper prices. I like contributing to ruining the thrift experience.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

pwn posted:

One of the best parts of thrift stores is going in to find great things at bargain prices, then reselling those to people who actually want them at scalper prices. I like contributing to ruining the thrift experience.

That's capitalism!

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
this just came in

insane that someone already payed 300 dollars for this on discogs

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

pwn posted:

You're dead to me.

CatBlack posted:

this just came in

insane that someone already payed 300 dollars for this on discogs

My favorite thing about the secondary market is seeing punk records sold for prices that the people on the records wouldn't have been able to afford. There's nothing more punk than price speculation and buying records as an investment!

pwn
May 27, 2004

petit choux posted:

That's capitalism!

I have no bones about reselling, say, my old video game poo poo to video game nerds for laffo prices, primarily because I bought that poo poo years and years ago, got years and years of enjoyment out of it, and now I'm cashing out. Also because video game nerds are largely horrible people who deserve no pity, you can have all this poo poo digitally for free but if you wanna pay me $300 for a common game because it's in a long box, then please give me your money you loving knob.

But if I were buying up a cheap game solely to flip it I would feel pretty greasy. I bought a copy of Robocop 4k a few months ago at retail price to resell in a few months and I felt kinda greasy. A friend asked why I didn't buy all three copies Best Buy had and I said I didn't want to be a total shithead, and wanted to leave some for people who wanted it. Strive to not actively make the world a worse place, y'know

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

pwn posted:

I have no bones about reselling, say, my old video game poo poo to video game nerds for laffo prices, primarily because I bought that poo poo years and years ago, got years and years of enjoyment out of it, and now I'm cashing out. Also because video game nerds are largely horrible people who deserve no pity, you can have all this poo poo digitally for free but if you wanna pay me $300 for a common game because it's in a long box, then please give me your money you loving knob.

But if I were buying up a cheap game solely to flip it I would feel pretty greasy. I bought a copy of Robocop 4k a few months ago at retail price to resell in a few months and I felt kinda greasy. A friend asked why I didn't buy all three copies Best Buy had and I said I didn't want to be a total shithead, and wanted to leave some for people who wanted it. Strive to not actively make the world a worse place, y'know

On the other hand, sometimes weird stuff will sit around in a place where nobody knows what it is when the person who would actually enjoy it is halfway across the globe

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

I'm the same. I don't have a problem selling poo poo for whatever dipshit prices if I've had it laying around for years but I don't actively dig up poo poo to flip it online. And I really only am motivated enough to sell that crap when I really need the money. I agree about people paying dumb premiums for widely available poo poo. A few years ago I sold some Spider-Man book for 95 bucks (the cover price was 20) because it's a hardcover edition. But the paperback has never gone out of print and is widely available for much cheaper even with Marvel's gouging with cheap used copies aplenty. So if you're stupid enough to pay that much more for a meaningless "upgrade", have at it I guess. Comic book people are similarly awful to video game people and I'm sure there's a whole lot of overlap.

BigFactory posted:

On the other hand, sometimes weird stuff will sit around in a place where nobody knows what it is when the person who would actually enjoy it is halfway across the globe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTdO-w3xnpw

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I have not begun to sell bitches

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I also don't charge scalper prices for things I sell, especially on SA Mart

pwn
May 27, 2004

petit choux posted:

I also don't charge scalper prices for things I sell, especially on SA Mart

I personally wasn't talking about you my dude, or anyone else here. Just yelling at clouds

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

My local thrift store has been getting a glut of furniture donations such that they've been throwing out a lot of stuff. I am starting to buy like antique furniture to take apart and re-make into something else. It's been a glorious catastrophe of antique furniture for a dollar each. I can't even keep up. I got some incredible chunks of oak that I can build stuff out of last week.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

My local thrift stores never have much furniture and when they do it's like, a couch from the 70s that looks like it's spent the last 20 years being pissed on by raccoons in someone's attic. You're lucky if you can even buy a non-broken office chair which is something that probably exists by the thousands in every city on earth.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I lucked out and got a nice Dean Markley pickup for my acoustic guitar for a couple of bucks. They had it with power dords and USB cables and stuff, I just bought it and didn't try to correct them. I'm playing it right now. I've been wanting an acoustic pickup for a long time now too.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

dorium posted:

I live in too major of a city for my thrift stores to have anything "good" that I'd want to have to dig for. Anything worth a drat was already picked over before it hit the stores and either put up online or sold to local shops. I'd have to go out to the boonies for anything that I might luck out in finding something cool.

Same, it's all just crap all the way down. I'd rather spend my free time listening to records than fruitlessly searching for more.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Barry posted:

Same, it's all just crap all the way down. I'd rather spend my free time listening to records than fruitlessly searching for more.

But what if you barely leave the house except to look for more records? When you can do both!

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
There are multiple Jason Donovan albums at my local second hand store. In Lapland. Why.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I have an Empire 2000 E/III and a Stanton L725E and I'm kind of having trouble finding decent replacement styli for them; most of the replacement websites look straight outta 1995 and half of everything is out of stock. Just need something in the $sub-80 range that isn't hot garbage. Any recommendations?

Sheep fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Nov 8, 2022

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Sheep posted:

I have an Empire 2000 E/III and a Stanton L725E and I'm kind of having trouble finding decent replacement styli for them; most of the replacement websites look straight outta 1995 and half of everything is out of stock. Just need something in the $sub-80 range that isn't hot garbage. Any recommendations?

The Stantons aren’t easy to find? I would think they would keep stylii in stock.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I finally saw a James Last record. I guess he's the Herb Alpert of the UK?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Time for a Satanic Slumber Party

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Boinks posted:

I finally saw a James Last record. I guess he's the Herb Alpert of the UK?

Try the Naxos Records "British Light Music" collection to hear the stuff that you'd hear on the radio before rock happened

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Try the Naxos Records "British Light Music" collection to hear the stuff that you'd hear on the radio before rock happened

There is a HELL of a lot of James Last videos on the tubes. At one point in my life being in an ensemble like that was my likely destination.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
in the US there's an absolute ton of Arthur Fiedler/Boston Pops stuff too because light classical is one of those genres with no real record/radio popularity anymore like Herb Alpert et al.

Fiedler isn't exactly a highly respected conductor but some of that stuff was great, he has the best Gershwin records ever (the ones with Earl Wild on piano)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
there's also Saturday Night Fiedler which is one of those iconic 70s pops-classical kitsch records like Hooked on Classics that i see all the drat time

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Feels Villeneuve posted:

in the US there's an absolute ton of Arthur Fiedler/Boston Pops stuff too because light classical is one of those genres with no real record/radio popularity anymore like Herb Alpert et al.

Fiedler isn't exactly a highly respected conductor but some of that stuff was great, he has the best Gershwin records ever (the ones with Earl Wild on piano)

You’re forgetting his true magnum opus

Damnit!

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 8, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
lol

the best version of those disco-classical records was the Portsmouth Simfonia's parody

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay-QStM4CS4

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Here, this isn't media but it's accessories anyway so well not that on topic I apologize

Here's me probably sucking in my gut with it on

Each one of those buttons has an individual watertight seal, and it mechanically pushes the button on the mp3 player.

BTW, these were accessories for a specific model of iRiver players, which were the absolute bomb. I still have several. But I do not recommend this as anything but a cute antique now, it's waaaay too complex, way too many parts, with little seals for the compartment that come with a tiny bottle of seal conditioner, a hinged door for it, just silly over the top. I mean the fabric pouch itself is hand sewn, and it's not like two pieces with a seam it's pretty complex LOL. It reminds me of doll clothing or something. And well sewn too.

But this company is still one of the better swimming mp3 players and I only noticed yesterday that the logo on my current mp3 player and this are the same.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i had an iriver back in high school and i really liked it. it was one of those ipod knockoff ones with a touchpad on the front (the H10, i think) but it was a neat design

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Made this for my girlfriend who only owns one record and doesn't know how to use the turntable yet.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Made this for my girlfriend who only owns one record

:sever:

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Apparently they only printed a limited number of these, as they finally just released the vinyl edition, and it's already going online for twice or triple the retail price. But I managed to snag one.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Nihonniboku posted:

Apparently they only printed a limited number of these, as they finally just released the vinyl edition, and it's already going online for twice or triple the retail price. But I managed to snag one.

Is that fishing music?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

BigFactory posted:

Is that fishing music?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEkOYs6aWIg

A friend introduced me to him this year. He explained it as, last year, when different musicians were asked what their favorite album of the year was, Absolutely by Dijon was at the top of many of these lists. Apparently tickets for his concerts were going for like $300. It's a good album, check it out.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Had a little birthday shindig at my friend's pinball bar Wedgehead. Got some of my buddies to play some records like we used to back in the day. Been a long time since I played out. Almost worth the hangover.

Annnd. My new mix just dropped today over on mixcloud. There are some changes going on over there but it shouldn't effect my show. Worried that some shows I listen to are gonna quit over the new 10 show policy though. Moss Appeal Nov. Mix

Sheep posted:

If the stylus is so hard to find/expensive can't you replace the whole headshell + stylus? What turntable do you have?

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Made this for my girlfriend who only owns one record and doesn't know how to use the turntable yet.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

sporklift posted:

Had a little birthday shindig at my friend's pinball bar Wedgehead. Got some of my buddies to play some records like we used to back in the day. Been a long time since I played out. Almost worth the hangover.

Annnd. My new mix just dropped today over on mixcloud. There are some changes going on over there but it shouldn't effect my show. Worried that some shows I listen to are gonna quit over the new 10 show policy though. Moss Appeal Nov. Mix

Oh man, I love Wedgehead, though I'm usually not there long enough to make the flat fee system they introduced for their machines during Covid work out for me. A great spot to hang before catching something at the Hollywood, though. Anyway, happy birthday, and thanks for linking your new mix; I always look forward to checking them out and I'm never disappointed!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

sporklift posted:

If the stylus is so hard to find/expensive can't you replace the whole headshell + stylus? What turntable do you have?

Are you wearing some kind of shooting jacket

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

petit choux posted:

Are you wearing some kind of shooting jacket

Yeah. I found this pretty killer vintage 3 piece suit with shooting jacket in mint condition and a perfect fit. Rarely get a chance to sport it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Got my Sacred Bones Halloween damaged goods order. Not familiar with any of these although I have seen The Lighthouse. Thanks again for the heads up on this.