Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

*goes to Mongolian BBQ*

*Orders vegan*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
Don't talk to me about Mongolian barbecue unless there's a blowtorch involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFFByXVDKf0

Edited to note that this video uses a goat, but my understanding when I visited Mongolia was that boodog is more traditionally made with a marmot instead, a fact that brings with it the additional risk of bubonic plague, since the fleas that infest Mongolian marmots were the original reservoir of the black death.

stereobreadsticks has a new favorite as of 16:42 on Nov 8, 2022

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mongolian bbq is actually invented by a beijing-native street food guy who fled to Taiwan during the chinese civil war, and realized that due to it being the new communist capital, 'beijing bbq' wouldn't sell, but 'mongolian' would.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

*goes to Mongolian BBQ*

*Orders vegan*

Oh hey, I was behind you last time I went.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Now I really want some Mongolian BBQ

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Maybe someone was thinking of Korean BBQ? The KBBQ places I've been to have a little grill in the middle of your table, you order meats or get them raw from a buffet and then cook them at your table.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Korean bbq rules and I have no idea how they pass American restaurant inspections. Handing your customers a plate of raw beef and saying "its on you" seems like a failing grade

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

Korean bbq rules and I have no idea how they pass American restaurant inspections. Handing your customers a plate of raw beef and saying "its on you" seems like a failing grade

I don't see why. As long as you're following handling standards and have appropriately posted instructions, all the onus is on the diners after the meat is handed off, as far as I know. It's less inherently dangerous than serving something like steak tartare.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I hope that the health requirements are a bit stricter on the freshness than in places that always completely cook the meat.
You have to be ready for the odd person who likes his meat only quickly seared on the outside.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

NinjaDebugger posted:

I don't see why. As long as you're following handling standards and have appropriately posted instructions, all the onus is on the diners after the meat is handed off, as far as I know. It's less inherently dangerous than serving something like steak tartare.

Those laws tend to put the onus of that sort of thing on the restaurant, ime, but the only times I have dealt with it was places that did cook food for you, and their paranoia about undercooked meat

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

If you go to a fondue place like The Melting Pot they'll just hand you a plate of raw chicken to dunk in your pot of oil. Good luck!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ror posted:

If you go to a fondue place like The Melting Pot they'll just hand you a plate of raw chicken to dunk in your pot of oil. Good luck!

:catstare:

This upset me so much I couldn't stop clicking edit instead of quote.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

The Melting Pot just dissolved in a puddle of infectious vomit!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

This is the vilest sausage in a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWWmn3GdD5M

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jesus it's like lancing an abcess lmao

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

That war crime just showed up in my feed. Jack ought to be thrown in prison for life buried alive for foisting it on society.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I just saw it, lancing abscessed intestines seems about right :barf:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh god when the pan one burst jesus

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

AlbieQuirky posted:

You have to pick the things you want, unlike in a regular restaurant where

...where you point to an exitisting menu option that looks good, ostensibly designed by chefs, and you sit there and it's brought to you.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

gently caress design chefs, I can have two pounds of bean sprouts and loose corn grilled up for my meal if I want to

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

gently caress design chefs, I can have two pounds of bean sprouts and loose corn grilled up for my meal if I want to

At least put some seasoning in there. A little Mrs. Dash oughta do the job.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cyril Sneer posted:

...where you point to an exitisting menu option that looks good, ostensibly designed by chefs, and you sit there and it's brought to you.

A lot of Mongolian BBQ places will have a menu card with suggested combinations, or you can order a thing they'll put together for you. But part of the fun for most people is picking your own stuff.

However as I posted some time ago about a place I went in like 2010, much to my detriment:

Data Graham posted:

Puts me in mind of that "Fire & Ice" chain that's basically just a big Mongolian BBQ griddle, except with ALL THE THINGS

Yes I would like you to grill for me the following:

- 1 steak
- 1/2 lb of spaghetti
- 8-10 shrimp
- small pile of carrot slices and broccoli and tiny corns
- macaroni salad
- meat lovers pizza slice
- sushi rice
- spicy garlic sauce

Yeah just grill it up and put it in this bowl

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Tunicate posted:

Mongolian bbq is actually invented by a beijing-native street food guy who fled to Taiwan during the chinese civil war, and realized that due to it being the new communist capital, 'beijing bbq' wouldn't sell, but 'mongolian' would.

Being willing to identify something completely incorrectly for the sake of profit? Yeah, the Communists would have identified him as a capitalist from day one.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Yum.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

eat 40 of these bad boys and then we'll see how you feel, mr chicken man.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

uber_stoat posted:

eat 40 of these bad boys and then we'll see how you feel, mr chicken man.

Pretty sure he would die from hypernatremia after the second chicken

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Marmite and its derivatives are delicious and very versatile ingredients

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

i would love to try this

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Sometimes you've gotta go with a salad to keep things healthier

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Captain Hygiene posted:

Junge,

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Pictured: a pile of stuff, actual salad picture is missing.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Captain Hygiene posted:

#inscrutablefoods

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Pickles and popcorn?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Paladinus posted:

Pickles and popcorn?
My first thought was button mushrooms, but looking closer I think they're balls of cheese

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

A guide to cooking noodles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJdEqGt8xNg

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Now I want some Matjes…

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Antigravitas posted:

Now I want some Matjes…

How about a couple of rollmops?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Yes please, and thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is Angela part seal or is that just how you eat the fish in Germany?