Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

CODChimera posted:

who is the most famous?

Doctor Jill Biden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
lmao this loving banner

https://twitter.com/FOX13Memphis/status/1590208198857850880

Like, good on them for nailing down that "except as punishment for a crime" loophole, but still. The state of this country.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

paranoid randroid posted:

california locks people up explicitly to make them fight forest fires for pennies a day

Kamala while AG actively lobbied against reforms that would have granted early release to low risk prisoners specifically because CalFire whined that without cheap prison labor they wouldn't be able to properly fight major fires.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Oregon constitution if amended by measure 112, underlined is added:

112 posted:

Section 34:

Slavery or Involuntary Servitude

(1.)There shall be neither slavery, nor involuntary servitude in this state the State, otherwise than as a punishment for crime, whereof the party shall have been duly convicted.

(2.) Upon conviction of a crime, an Oregon court or a probation or parole agency may order the convicted person to engage in education, counseling, treatment, community service or other alternatives to incarceration, as part of sentencing for the crime, in accordance with programs that have been in place historically or that may be developed in the future, to provide accountability, reformation, protection of society or rehabilitation.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

CODChimera posted:

who is the most famous?

DrLupo

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

silicone thrills posted:

Doctor Jill Biden

thats honestly the only other doctor i could think of. then i started thinking about nip/tuck and baywatch(?) and gave up

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Sydin posted:

Kamala while AG actively lobbied against reforms that would have granted early release to low risk prisoners specifically because CalFire whined that without cheap prison labor they wouldn't be able to properly fight major fires.

See? Too much freedom is a safety hazard. We knew it all along.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Turns out calling "unpaid forced prison labor" as what it actually is, slavery, makes people vote against slavery

What a huge W, can't believe this is only the fourth state to have done this now. Hopefully more do this.

didn't someone upthread say it explicitly exempts prison labor from being considered slavery

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

miniscule12 posted:

lamao cspam wrong

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Yeah it’s entirely meaningless in the grand scheme, as is that ballot measure that is meant to enshrine healthcare as a right (that one is losing lol), mostly just removing the embarrassing 13th amendment copy/paste

But like I said the funniest thing is the state’s sherifs association came out in opposition because yeah lol

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Origami Dali posted:

didn't someone upthread say it explicitly exempts prison labor from being considered slavery
Section 33. Slavery and involuntary servitude are forever prohibited. Nothing in this section shall prohibit an inmate from working when the inmate has been duly convicted of a crime.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

bedpan posted:

a whole bunch of really nasty republican toads getting their walking papers and beta o dork and Stacey Abrams losing is okay. not as much lmao as the dems getting destroyed but pretty good

it is incredible content that the republicans are such basketcases/so many are dead from horse paste that they failed to crush an election this easy

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

silicone thrills posted:

its really embarrassing for oregon that they're so much more split on this issue than TN tbh.

Oregon's staying true to its roots

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

atelier morgan posted:

it is incredible content that the republicans are such basketcases/so many are dead from horse paste that they failed to crush an election this easy

the same party that managed to lose a presidential reelection against joe biden also managed to totally blow what should have been an easy mid term election

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

What if cspam is wrong about Elon musk

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Malloc Voidstar posted:

lmao this is the purest strain lib imaginable

dems taking a big ol hit off it like cocaine

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

What about dr phil

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

synapse posted:

and the war in ukraine

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/dril/status/118473605293162496
https://twitter.com/AdamParkhomenko/status/1590216896326295552

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
“It don’t matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winnings winning” - Vin Diesel, Political Strategist

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

synapse posted:

CSpam is wrong about everything. I’m going back to resetera

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

atelier morgan posted:

someone needs to run whatever analysis is necessary to see if joe biden's plan to kill all the republican voters by making them refuse to get vaccinated actually worked

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

maruhkati posted:

lmao this loving banner

https://twitter.com/FOX13Memphis/status/1590208198857850880

Like, good on them for nailing down that "except as punishment for a crime" loophole, but still. The state of this country.

It's still sadly in the constitution so until an amendment passes people are going to be hosed federally, which is wild to me.

Good step in the right direction though and a long time coming, only the 4th state I believe to have banned slavery in all forms.

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

ben shapino posted:

wrong. feels good man

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

he's burying the reporters with him, in his tomb

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Noob Saibot posted:

CSpam is wrong about everything. I’m going back to resetera

I'm going back to NeoGAF

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret

atelier morgan posted:

lmao this is the purest strain lib imaginable

dems taking a big ol hit off it like cocaine

??? Getting rid of slavery is good, how is it lib poo poo?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Vim Fuego posted:

I'm going back to NeoGAF

I'm going back to (checks notes)... SA? Huh.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

did you read the second part that was added

are you at all familiar with how prison functions

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i think it might be because it then says "but the court can force them to participate in some program if it's for their own benefit in being reformed or rehabilitated".

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

synapse posted:

What if being pessimistic all the time isn't always right???

Brb gotta go write a sorry note to my fuckin liver

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

banning slavery but saying that a court may order the convicted person to "engage in... other alternatives to incarceration, as part of sentencing for the crime, in accordance with programs that have been in place historically" can be interpreted pretty easily to allow "slavery that isn't called slavery"

though i guess prison labor is banned? since it has to be an alternative to incarceration
unless you can do community service inside a prison

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

it literally just adds more definitions of things you can be forced to do that are technically not slavery, but someone else could make money off of in exchange for your labor

it didnt ban slavery, just defined it better.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

The wording on the TN one is better. The Oregon one is rife for prisons to be like "well making these license plates is actually community service and you have to do it"

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Plz renamed thread:

the demokkkrats are going to be destrroyed in 2024

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
"in accordance with programs that have been in place historically" making it extremely clear that yes, they can still be required to labor for free to make bank for the prison industrial complex, as that is the one program

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Lmao I was pretty sure Dems would wipeout but somehow Republicans managed to just completely blow it mf lmao

I’d be embarrassed for them if it wasn’t so funny

Doesn’t matter. We’re on the trajectory we’re on regardless

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Section 33. Slavery and involuntary servitude are forever prohibited. Nothing in this section shall prohibit an inmate from working when the inmate has been duly convicted of a crime.

Wouldn't that mean that an incarcerated person has the ability to work but can also choose not to? Since working requires consent of the worker. If anything wouldn't that put it under US labor laws and also mean prisoners could unionize theoretically, since they are no longer classified as slavery instead of labor?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

atelier morgan posted:

did you read the second part that was added

are you at all familiar with how prison functions

It's basically probation instead of prison and prison labor. Being forced to do a DUI class or community service is not really the same thing as going to prison and being required to do prison labor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

that the democrats did so much better than expected is ironclad proof that they actually did steal the election