Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Started playing Skyward Sword for the first time. I can see why it's usually one of the lower ranked zeldas but it's still fun and the dungeons are pretty cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Started playing Skyward Sword for the first time. I can see why it's usually one of the lower ranked zeldas but it's still fun and the dungeons are pretty cool

It's kind of a fun small game that they made worse by trying to pad it out instead of just letting it be

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

I'm flying for the first time since 2019 and I didn't bring my 3ds and I really miss messing around with street pass while waiting to board.

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Streetpass and Miiverse were too pure for this world

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I miss the Miis being a bigger part of Nintendo.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

P-Mack posted:

It's kind of a fun small game that they made worse by trying to pad it out instead of just letting it be

Ya that sounds right. I’d guess I’m more than halfway through the game and so far my biggest gripes are that flying + the sky overworld are boring, the harp music is bad, and the yospos style sword spirit guide gives too many unsolicited hints.

On the plus side, the dungeon design is cool, the sword controls and items are fun, the mini quests in the shadow realms where you’re evading guardians are exciting, and Link pogs out hard every time he gets a new item :hai:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i'm a good bit into Paper Mario 64 and man, playing TTYD several times over kinda spoiled me lol. not being able to use items outside of battle nor have partners use them is a bit aggravating, and there's places like Dry Dry Desert and Toad Town that just feel needlessly huge and aimless. still a charming game tho and it's making me think about the Paper Marios i haven't played, Sticker Star and Color Splash. are those any good?

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

symbolic posted:

i'm a good bit into Paper Mario 64 and man, playing TTYD several times over kinda spoiled me lol. not being able to use items outside of battle nor have partners use them is a bit aggravating, and there's places like Dry Dry Desert and Toad Town that just feel needlessly huge and aimless. still a charming game tho and it's making me think about the Paper Marios i haven't played, Sticker Star and Color Splash. are those any good?

no

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

symbolic posted:

You can use items outside of battle though

Check your C buttons

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

darn

Not a Children posted:

You can use items outside of battle though

Check your C buttons

ok ive deduced i'm retarded. thank you

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Plz don’t beat yourself up

Also every square in dry dry desert is unique and has things to discover

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Not a Children posted:

Plz don’t beat yourself up

Also every square in dry dry desert is unique and has things to discover

i've found some cool stuff thanks to hints ya but a good portion of the time it's just enemy encounters, which is fine now that Bombette knows Power Bomb and can turn every single one into ash

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

When I go back to Paper Mario, I find myself missing the Stylish Moves system most of all. I want to press more buttons

...but is it art?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Stylish moves are epic over the course of playing the game I get more excited about how big the crowd is getting than my level or damage output

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Paper Mario 64 is fantastic but TTYD is basically perfect

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Nostradingus posted:

yep. they're also the only good mario rpgs made in the last 20 years

if you disagree with me you have pissed pants worse than the sonic kids

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Nostradingus posted:

the only bad part of TTYD is the amount of backtracking in chapter 4 and 7. other than that there's legitimately no complaints. godlike game

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

symbolic posted:

the only bad part of TTYD is the amount of backtracking in chapter 4 and 7. other than that there's legitimately no complaints. godlike game

(in wormskull's mocking gamer voice) Ohhh, URRRR, Oh i HATE going through older levels of a literally perfect game. URRRhuhhh. I'm the runner guy.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mario rpg, paper mario, ttyd are th only good console mario rpgs

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

(in wormskull's mocking gamer voice) Ohhh, URRRR, Oh i HATE going through older levels of a literally perfect game. URRRhuhhh. I'm the runner guy.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I didn't hate Origami King but it it lacked that je ne sais quoi. Mario RPG remains the best, I think.

...but is it art?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Bongo Bill posted:

I didn't hate Origami King but it it lacked that je ne sais quoi. Mario RPG remains the best, I think.

i liked Origami King a lot but it was barely an RPG

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

yeh idk waht to call origami king but definitely not an rpg. i really wonder why they dont go back to badges/timed hits for the next one, its been so long and nothin else they've tried has even come close

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fungah! posted:

yeh idk waht to call origami king but definitely not an rpg. i really wonder why they dont go back to badges/timed hits for the next one, its been so long and nothin else they've tried has even come close

you can't improve perfection. topic locked

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I still haven’t played the first Paper Mario. TTYD is incredible though

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Make you fly back to pallet town and surf to Blaine’s house and no one bats an eye. Make you visit sewer drain town(?) with friendly bob-omb(? Only played the first one) and everyone loses their minds.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Wormskull posted:

Make you fly back to pallet town and surf to Blaine’s house and no one bats an eye. Make you visit sewer drain town(?) with friendly bob-omb(? Only played the first one) and everyone loses their minds.

*after swapping bewtween Mario & Luigi just to get 3 Mustache Points in the Overworld between 8 hours of tutorials* Sounds like you're bigoted. Keep swimming if that makes you feel good, or w/e (36 yr old talking to 9 yr old) Yall really that weak huh. Yall mustache points rilly dont mean poo poo hjuh.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

*after swapping bewtween Mario & Luigi just to get 3 Mustache Points in the Overworld between 8 hours of tutorials* Sounds like you're bigoted. Keep swimming if that makes you feel good, or w/e (36 yr old talking to 9 yr old) Yall really that weak huh. Yall mustache points rilly dont mean poo poo hjuh.

I don't know if this is about me but lmfao.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

symbolic posted:

, and there's places like Dry Dry Desert and Toad Town that just feel needlessly huge and aimless.

:dafuq:

Bongo Bill posted:

I kinda loved origami king aside from the battle system. if it had TTYD’s battle system it would be a perfect game

Augus fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 9, 2022

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Paper Mario is the best Paper Mario.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

symbolic posted:

No.

----------------

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
sticker star is kind of ok if you treat it like an adventure game instead of an rpg. it's not the absolute worst but it's not really worth going out of your way to play. havent played color splash yet

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Super Paper Mario wasn’t too bad really. A big step down but still head and shoulders above everything that followed. Can’t believe there was a time when I was like “haha ok well, that was a decent enough diversion, but now it’s time to bring us Paper Mario 3.”

----------------

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

N64 Paper Mario FTMFW. When I was 10 I was obsessed with hearing Goombario’s take on every single location/person in the game. Playing the game again and I still find myself with him default by my side.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

the name of the town with Toads is Toad Town

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

symbolic posted:

the name of the town with Toads is Toad Town

it’s not that big

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Augus posted:

it’s not that big

i'll bet you've heard that a lot before :D

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Augus posted:

it’s not that big

chode town

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

origami king is a beautiful game with great writing where I wish the only fights were the bosses lol. random encounters have no purpose at all and they only get more annoying as the game goes on

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The Nintendo Indie Direct is on now