Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Yeah my MSFS install folder is ~250GB and that's not even all of the MS published stuff. I've got 4TBs of M.2s, so it's not super critical for me, but most off the shelf PCs and laptops are going to have either 256GB, 512GB or 1TB of total system storage. It's good that they made those world packs optional, even if I think everybody should fly around and go site seeing on each one at least once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Sapozhnik posted:

The OOTB avionics for the two Citation jets are pretty broken. Working Title are rewriting the code for both although who knows if it will be ready in time for SU11 or not.

Not SU11, sorry but before the end of the year. It’ll be worth the wait. The work that’s been done has been amazing and the Longitude has become one of my new favorite aircraft. The CJ4 hasn’t changed as dramatically since the mod did such an amazing job of refining the systems, but there are some pretty significant improvements under the hood. Keep in mind that both of these aircraft are highly automated and there really isn’t as much systems management as compared to say, the 737. They’ve still put a lot of depth into the Longitude though and it will require quite a bit of studying. We’re trying to find ways to summarize the AFM without violating copyright laws like with the CJ4. Stay tuned!

The coding team has basically been working overtime since they’re trying to overhaul all the GA avionics at once. Every other day we’re getting builds for the PL21, the G3000/5000 or the GNS. It’s a lot to test!

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 9, 2022

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Since Textron licenses aircraft to Microsoft/Asobo, it seems odd that they wouldn't allow them (or an official partner) to use portions of the AFM, but obviously it's something that various corporate lawyers get paid entirely too much to hash out.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm not sure who shat in the brains of the MSFS forum moderators, but it's hilarious to see them keep quelling "technical support" discussions in the third party add-on forum.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm not sure who shat in the brains of the MSFS forum moderators, but it's hilarious to see them keep quelling "technical support" discussions in the third party add-on forum.

I gotta hand it to the MSFS forum for bucking the trend of a game's official forum always being the absolute worst place on the internet to discuss that game.

It's not great, but it's also not an unreadably toxic dumpster fire and it's possible to find useful information on it.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah it's super weird that you'll have the actual devs in a thread but they're not really allowed to support their third party products in the third party products category. They have to link to discords or their own forums (if they even have that). It's really clunky and makes it very obtuse to try and solve any issues and I can't really figure out why they'd be so weird about it. If anything I'd say it's in their forum's best interest to become a central area for users to gather for all kinds of info, instead of forcing people away from your own forums. Still, their forums are surprisingly good compared to some of the stories I've heard about other forums so it could be worse.

In other news, the 40th anniversary update is out. Really excited about the Inibuilds A310 more than anything, it was such a fun and detailed plane in X-Plane. I also want to love the helicopters but I just really suck at them, still looking forward to innovative new ways I can stall them in MSFS. Downloading is a nightmare as usual, currently at 7% after half an hour (21gb download here) so I doubt I'll be able to fly today. You'd think they would make that process less frustrating but Asobo is gonna Asobo.

edit: 8%...woohoo

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

poo poo, just saw this. Going to download it now. Thanks

HEY - dumb question: Are replays a thing yet?

e:

quote:

Today we celebrate the exciting history of aviation with the release of the Microsoft Flight Simulator 40th Anniversary Edition, the most advanced version of this beloved franchise yet. Among the many features included in this update is a true-to-life airliner, the Airbus A310-300, rendered with stunning accuracy.

The 40th Anniversary Edition also features, for the first time since the platform’s 2006 release, helicopters and gliders that perform with amazing life-like realism. We’re also introducing seven renowned historical aircraft: the 1903 Wright Flyer, the 1915 Curtiss JN-4 Jenny, the 1927 Ryan NYP Spirit of St. Louis, the 1935 Douglas DC-3, the beautiful 1937 Grumman G-21 Goose, the 1947 Havilland DHC-2 Beaver, and the famous 1947 Hughes H-4 Hercules “Spruce Goose,” the largest seaplane and wooden aircraft ever built.

We have also added four classic airports, including the Meigs Field in Chicago, a traditional home airport for the Microsoft Flight Simulator franchise.

It is an incredibly exciting update celebrating aviation history, introducing significant technical advancements in flight dynamics and simulation and featuring two new types of aircraft (gliders and helicopters) - all to delight our community and showcase the beauty and the thrill of flight!

In summary, the Microsoft Flight Simulator 40th Anniversary Edition delivers the following brand-new content:
1 true-to-life Airbus A310 airliner
2 helicopters and 14 heliports
2 gliders and 15 glider airports
7 famous historical aircraft including the Hughes H-4 Hercules (also known as the Spruce Goose)
4 classic commercial airports
24 classic missions from the franchise’s past

Test your piloting skills against the challenges of riding thermals in an unpowered glider, controlling rotor-wing aircraft over dense urban cityscapes, improved real-time atmospheric simulation and live weather in a dynamic and vibrant world. Create your flight plan to anywhere on the planet. Join us in celebrating the award-winning franchise with the Microsoft Flight Simulator 40th Anniversary Edition, loaded with all-new features, aircraft and content that span the history of aviation. The sky is calling!

Check out the Microsoft Flight Simulator 40th Anniversary Edition today, available as a free update for existing players. For new simmers, the 40th Anniversary Edition is the perfect entry point to the franchise.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 40th Anniversary Edition is available for Xbox Series X|S and PC with Xbox Game Pass, PC Game Pass, Windows, and Steam, and on Xbox One and supported mobile phones, tablets, and lower-spec PCs via Xbox Cloud Gaming.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Seriously jonesing to fly that A310 later tonight after work.

If I don't ground loop the helicopters on the first 3 tries but get them in the air easily, it's not study level :colbert:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I really hope the gliders aren't poo poo.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
im here for gliding the visuals in condor 2 suck

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
So I'm using Xbox. Are there any controls I need to set myself, or is default fine? It looks like A and B buttons are already controlling the collective, but I saw there's also a throttle setting on the same stick in the cockpit. Is the throttle basically tied to what the collective is doing, or would I need to adjust throttle by itself at some point?

Also, how the hell do you land these things without smacking into the ground?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

How realistic are the helicopters?

jasoneatspizza posted:

Sounds good! :haw:

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010

slidebite posted:

How realistic are the helicopters?

Sounds good! :haw:

Just gotta make sure to turn off the new piloting assistance options, which are on by default.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So how much for a decent helicopter sim set up?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

jasoneatspizza posted:

So I'm using Xbox. Are there any controls I need to set myself, or is default fine? It looks like A and B buttons are already controlling the collective, but I saw there's also a throttle setting on the same stick in the cockpit. Is the throttle basically tied to what the collective is doing, or would I need to adjust throttle by itself at some point?

I don't know how realistic the flight model is, but from my experience in crashing the Huey a bunch in DCS:

Collective is how much you want your rotors to actually lift you up
Throttle control is mostly kept nearly full and reduced whenever you're close to redlining / overstressing the engine.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 12, 2022

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
Also any tips on how to land the Spirit of St. Louis? Seems like I just tip forward all the way over no matter how smooth the landing seems.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Hold full back on the stick once you're on the ground, and be super gentle with the brakes.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

silly sevens

slidebite posted:

poo poo, just saw this. Going to download it now. Thanks

HEY - dumb question: Are replays a thing yet?

e:

I did see a button in the experimental settings for replay, appeared after SU10. Though no idea if that actually does anthing, didn't play with it. There are some third party options that do work though.

Also the A310 is great but what they don't really mention (at least not where I could find) is that you need to go to the marketplace and download the enhanced pack for it too. Without that the cockpit textures are literally unreadable and there's no cabin. I guess the decision to have a seperate high resolution pack has something to do with the Xbox version. I just wish they mentioned it clearly in the release notes or something because now, if you don't download that pack, the plane is gonna leave a horrible impression. In the thread on the official forum most of the posts are people asking why it looks like poo poo (and the other posts are people explaining that you have to download that pack so I guess nobody actually reads posts there).

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Woke: Latest system update has much better real world AI traffic.
Broke: It often takes off at the other end of the runway, directly at you, after you've been cleared to land.

:negative:

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

A310 is actually a frame killer for me. Anyone figured out the voodoo of which settings will give me some relief?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Really excited about these helicopters.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Are the gliders as awesome as they seem? Feels like a chill activity.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

silly sevens

FunOne posted:

Are the gliders as awesome as they seem? Feels like a chill activity.

Messed around with them in VR and it's quite a wonderful experience, though If you thought the GA cockpits were cramped then you ain't seen nothing yet. So far I'm sticking with the winch system because using the Cessna to take off is way harder than I thought. Neat detail is that there's a dude standing at your left wing to keep you upright at the start and he'll run along for a bit too. That was cute. Also you need to assign a key/button to the "release" function, especially if you're gonna be using the Cessna as a launcher.

Definitely requires some skill, especially for takeoff. You have to keep the wings level and keep it straight but it's way more sensitive than regular planes, I'm guessing rudder pedals would really help here. Also you absolutely need to plan your landings well in advance, these things are slippery as hell so finding that balance between losing altitude, on a good profile, and losing energy is very delicate. And going around isn't really an option. All worth it when you're swooping between mountains though. I'm liking it way more than I expected

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I'm trying the gliders out right now and it's amazing. I loving how much more demanding it is and that I actually have to fly the plane. I usually fly the approach that goes by my window on ILS so I barely even touch the stick most of the time.

The Bell 206 was fun. I didn't ground loop it on my first takeoff and I was prepared to call that arcadey and UNACCEPTAAAAABLE, but good shout on the assistance option default. It did feel a little too easy and that makes sense.

This is fanboy poo poo but I think I'm gonna pick up the Premium edition upgrade next time it's on sale to support the devs. All this poo poo is really awesome and I actually haven't CTD or anything yet.

The only bug I've seen so far is the A-310 doesn't have any STARs for my usual airport, which is in a high traffic area so that doesn't make sense.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 12, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Had fun gliding around in the glider intro flight with the visual assists while not having a clue how to do glider things. Got up to 2200 meters and soared over the mountain ridge before deciding to go in for a landing on some random grass strip I spotted. Turns out that the right wing makes for a very good brake. (it was going so smoothly until it tipped halfway through the landing!)

also I didn't have my head tracking on, and man, do you really want that for gliding.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Nov 13, 2022

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Tried the Cabri and that was a lot of fun and way easy with the helicopter assists. Without them it just needed some rudder on take off and landing? Looking forward to comparing with the Bell, surely that will try and kill me.

Also VR mode is incredibly easy to just switch on and off, I love it.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Is anyone having issues with autopilot oscillations? Once en route in the 172 g1000 the wings start rocking back and forth regardless of what nav mode it's in. Disabling AP for a bit then re-enabling doesn't fix it. Winds aren't too strong, like a 10kt quartering tailwind. Searching around other forums doesn't mention anything and I've not experienced it before. I've used a few different joysticks/controllers as well and they all experience the same thing, too.

edit:
I went longer with AP disabled, like a few minutes, and now it seems better. It'll start the rocking over time again, though. Strange.

AzureSkys fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 17, 2022

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Pitch oscillations seem worse than they've been for a while, (or at least occur at lower simrates) but I'm not seeing any roll oscillations.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

AzureSkys posted:

Is anyone having issues with autopilot oscillations? Once en route in the 172 g1000 the wings start rocking back and forth regardless of what nav mode it's in. Disabling AP for a bit then re-enabling doesn't fix it. Winds aren't too strong, like a 10kt quartering tailwind. Searching around other forums doesn't mention anything and I've not experienced it before. I've used a few different joysticks/controllers as well and they all experience the same thing, too.

edit:
I went longer with AP disabled, like a few minutes, and now it seems better. It'll start the rocking over time again, though. Strange.

I've not seen it develop over time like you're describing, but I did have something similar yesterday in the JustFlight Arrow III. It rolled hard to take a turn on a procedure that I ultimately decided not to do, so I rolled it hard the other way which should, in theory disconnect the AP. It made a noise like it was disconnecting, but it instead put me in about an 80* left roll. Contrary to popular belief, knife-edging a Cherokee Arrow is not a fun experience. When I corrected right, it rolled to 80* bank. I oscillated back and forth like that, barely under control until I realized the AP switch was still on. As soon as I killed it, everything went back to normal.

In general, the AP seems a little weird in this game. It consistently does wonky poo poo in the Beech 18 and DC-3 and before yesterday's roll chicanery in the Arrow, I couldn't get the AP to hold altitude. Alt Hold was on, but over the course of 20 minutes or so, it was slowly sliding downhill and lost about 300' of altitude. I was consistently adjusting for local altimeter settings too.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I've had something similar happen when flying the JF Turbo Arrows and I think it has something to do how the sim handles the A/P disconnect.

I'll see that behavior if I use the button on my yoke which just toggles the A/P button but leaves the HDG switch on. If I manually switch the HDG to off, I don't have the issue.

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
Practicing my taildragger landings with the X Cub: https://www.xbox.com/play/media/254LRSEBR5

Not sure I fully understand what I should be doing with the propeller control. Basically I leave full power and full prop RPM on the climb, cruise I reduce throttle a bit and set RPM to around 2300. For landings each time I gradually remove throttle on approach I also lower prop RPM some. Does this make sense to do? Also in what situations should I use 100% flaps? In the clip I'm only using 66%.

I assume the POH might have some specific suggestions, but apparently Cub Crafters is keeping the manual hidden from the public!

simble
May 11, 2004

You set the prop for the go around. Full fine (all the way forward).

Flaps irl are wind dependent. Gusty winds? Don't use full flaps. To oversimplify, what you're shooting for is an approach speed (commonly called vref). This speed varies by a lot for different reasons, but in a small plane, its generally about the same. In the xcub its going to be low, around 52kts (1.3x Vso (stall speed in landing configuration) which is 40kts). Be at that speed over the fence, cut the power and you'll be close enough. After that it's just about attitude control so that you run out of flying energy as you touch down. It takes practice.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

jasoneatspizza posted:

Practicing my taildragger landings with the X Cub: https://www.xbox.com/play/media/254LRSEBR5

Not sure I fully understand what I should be doing with the propeller control. Basically I leave full power and full prop RPM on the climb, cruise I reduce throttle a bit and set RPM to around 2300. For landings each time I gradually remove throttle on approach I also lower prop RPM some. Does this make sense to do? Also in what situations should I use 100% flaps? In the clip I'm only using 66%.

I assume the POH might have some specific suggestions, but apparently Cub Crafters is keeping the manual hidden from the public!

So, the prop control is kinda like a gear shifter if you've ever driven a manual vehicle or ridden a 10 speed bike. High RPM is like first gear, lower RPMs are like 2nd, 3rd, 4th, gears.

There's a lot of physics and such behind it, but it basically boils down to this... generally speaking, high RPM settings are used when acceleration is (or may be) needed. So, at takeoff and landing you want your propeller pitch to be at high RPM (usually full forward). On takeoff, that allows you the best acceleration and climb. On landing, it allows you the same, should you need to do a go around.

General procedure in most general aviation aircraft is this:
Takeoff
- line up w/runway
- prop full forward (high rpm)
- mix full forward (unless at high alt)
- throttle full forward

Immediately after takeoff - say, 500' or so - reduce throttle and prop to put both the manifold pressure and RPM gauges in the green. Once in cruise, pull the power back to cruise settings as described by the POH. Generally, you cruise around 2000-2300 rpm and 20-25" manifold pressure in a light single GA aircraft. (e.g. The piper arrow's cruise settings are 2300rpm and 22" MAP).

As you approach the airfield for landing and start pulling throttle, you generally want to bring the prop forward (just don't redline it). It sounds counterintuitive because it sounds like the engine is increasing power output as it revs up. But, it's not. The engine speed is increasing because you're changing the angle of the propeller blades, but the power output is still coming down and is dictated by your throttle setting.

So, on short final, you want about (give or take... I'm not too familiar with the cub) about 15" of manifold pressure and full high RPM. That way, if you have to gas it to do a go around, your prop will be in the mode that allows for best acceleration.

It's a really nuanced thing, but just remember - high RPM = hi acceleration, low top speed. Low RPM = low acceleration, higher top speed.

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
Thanks, guys! Did a couple landings with full forward prop, and they seemed to go well.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

That’s a good tip, I usually don’t touch prop pitch at all in GA planes.

Anybody have tips for finding good places to glide? Even during high wind events near me I can’t ever seem to stay aloft for very long, thermals seem to small to work with, mountain ridges don’t provide any lift, and I just randomly hit downdrafts and gusts that flip me over. Also tricky to establish attitude since I don’t have an artificial horizon so I’m stalling a lot too.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

There are gliders in the air over Boulder, CO all the time in real life, so I assume anywhere up and down the front range of the Rockies is a good bet. But if mountains aren't providing lift, then probably not.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 17, 2022

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Haven't tried gliders yet but iirc there's an option in the in-game weather settings pane that draws lines indicating thermal gradients so maybe try enabling that

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I use that and the lines never seem to correspond to anything I can fly. I'll see HUGE waves on the windward side of mountain ranges during a windy day, and the glider just :effort: and I end up crashing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

skooma512 posted:

Anybody have tips for finding good places to glide? Even during high wind events near me I can’t ever seem to stay aloft for very long, thermals seem to small to work with, mountain ridges don’t provide any lift, and I just randomly hit downdrafts and gusts that flip me over. Also tricky to establish attitude since I don’t have an artificial horizon so I’m stalling a lot too.

I see hang gliders over the Pacific coast south of San Francisco all the time. Strong winds and steep cliffs that bounce the air upwards. I don't see full size gliders, but that's probably because the SFO bravo ceiling is really low in that area and there aren't any good fields to land a larger aircraft, neither of which matter in a simulator. Get a tow from KHAF and see how you fare? :getin:

Also, this is how you keep track of your attitude without an attitude indicator:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I'm finally giving the helicopters a try, and after learning how to fight the fucker into the air without assists and figuring out the trimming I'm just tooling around Chicago at sunset with the SimCopter soundtrack going and giggling to myself.

No idea how to land, but I'll get there. Great update.

Actually, that reminds me: is there a way to, for lack of a better term, "trim the rudder?" I guess I mean like...adjust the centerpoint of my pedals maybe? The constant pedalwork is (I assume) part of the package, but figured I'd ask.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 19, 2022