Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Blaziken386 posted:

quoth the customer service guy: "sometimes it works, but we can't guarantee that they'll all work"

I could probably invite you to my family and give you the boot when you’re done. Send me a PM if you want to give it a go.

Yoda posted:

Are any of the third party docks worth purchasing? I want to be able to easily switch rooms, and the third party ones are a lot cheaper than even the refurbished. I remember hearing rumors about those docks bricking your unit, but no idea how long ago that was...

I’ve had good luck with my Hyperkin RetroN. I did have to get it replaced after a software update rendered it non-functional, but they were really quick to send it and only had me pay to ship it to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

This is loss.jpg

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
just preordered violet. gonna be maining weed cat

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://twitter.com/DeckVsSwitch/status/1590071660731805697

Really makes you think

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Booky posted:

heres mine :)

This is powerful

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Scholtz posted:

Really makes you think

Advantage: Switch

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Akratic Method posted:

Advantage: Switch

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

Grass all the way except for the stray (ha) cat.
Time for Weeeeeeeedcat.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Advantage: Satan

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I'm the only one who picked tepig apparently

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

nitsuga posted:

I could probably invite you to my family and give you the boot when you’re done. Send me a PM if you want to give it a go.
Took me a second to realize this was not a weirdly aggressive Thanksgiving dinner invitation.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'd add on to that Pokemon graph but it'd just be a dot on Charmander and a dot on Chimchar. I played Gen 2 but I don't remember which starter I picked there.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

You guys keep saying "I'm the onlt one who picked X??" but I'm absllutely sure I'll be the only one who'll ever pick Chespin ever.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

picked charmander, totodile, torchic, piplup, tepig, froakie, rowlet, sobble, and fucko. regret torchic only

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Yoda posted:

Are any of the third party docks worth purchasing? I want to be able to easily switch rooms, and the third party ones are a lot cheaper than even the refurbished. I remember hearing rumors about those docks bricking your unit, but no idea how long ago that was...

I got this really cheap one and it's ideal. Smaller, more portable, doesn't scratch the screen. You will need to add a charger though and I probably wouldn't cheap out on those.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-P...606738327582&hv

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Cojawfee posted:

Do the switches connect over bluetooth or wifi? That just seems really weird.

Wifi, either as an adhoc connection or AP. And as weird as it sounds, there is some truth to it however minor; the US doesn't have all the same wifi channels, which affects how wifi devices are configured for each region. I'd imagine this somehow causing a problem would be exceedingly rare, however.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What time is the indie thing?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Noon EST

https://www.nintendo.com/indie-world/

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Two things the Switch doesn't have, The Bible and Achievements.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Those both sound like wins for the Switch tbh (and yes I know that joke was made for the bible already).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I don't see how achievements are such an affront to those who don't care about them.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

PowerBeard posted:

Two things the Switch doesn't have, The Bible and Achievements.

Sounds great. How do I buy a third one?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The same way you bought the first two, I assume.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Too many "S" games coming out.

Sports Story
Silksong
Sea of Stars

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't see how achievements are such an affront to those who don't care about them.

The largest problem I have is that they massively skew the conversation about certain games to the point they can influence sequels and such because people go for 'meant for replay' achievements on their first time and then complain the game sucks because they refuse to use tools or items because there is a cheevo for not

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

glassyalabolas posted:

Too many "S" games coming out.

Sports Story
Silksong
Sea of Stars

well two of those are never ever coming out

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

mostly for grandpa simpson reasons

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

ImpAtom posted:

The largest problem I have is that they massively skew the conversation about certain games to the point they can influence sequels and such because people go for 'meant for replay' achievements on their first time and then complain the game sucks because they refuse to use tools or items because there is a cheevo for not

you can't stop people from sucking rear end at video games, achievements or not

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Are we sure that this is a real problem

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
what games have been that affected by their achievements?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Looper posted:

what games have been that affected by their achievements?

Notsomuch games that actually came out but for the whole PS2 games on PS4 thing Sony had a requirement that they add achievements and in many cases devs didn't wanna put in the resources to get that working.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Oh poo poo, when is the direct today?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Indie directs are usually kind of poorly received because big-name indies get in the "real" directs but i hope there's cool poo poo

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Are we sure that this is a real problem

Yes, multiple developers have talked about it. A big example is Mirror's Edge where people absolutely refused to use a gun because there was an achievement for not doing it.

It is basically the same principle as how people refused to use lethal powers in Dishonored because you could get a 'bad' ending. It comes up a lot in games with nonlethal options.

You can solve it by not doing that kind of cheevo but that just contributes to achievements being boring

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the lethal options in dishonored were more because the game was pretty bad at more or less telling you "you get the BEST ENDING if you pacifist ghost" and if some people hear that you get the true ending for doing poo poo, they're gonna do it, no matter how unenjoyable it is. It's a game design issue.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
when i played prey the only alien power i used was shapeshifting because going full alien seemed like a bad idea and i also didn't like the action in that game, but i don't think using those other powers would've changed my mind

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Dishonored was too good for this world

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Yoda posted:

https://skullnco.com/products/jumpgate-for-nintendo-switch

i've been using this for a couple years and it's perfect OP. i exclusively play docked so it's spent a lot of time in it and it's good

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i love "immersive sims" but its extremely dumb that pacifist-ghost was like, a challenge run in the original Deus Ex and somehow turned into the default way of playing them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, multiple developers have talked about it. A big example is Mirror's Edge where people absolutely refused to use a gun because there was an achievement for not doing it.

It is basically the same principle as how people refused to use lethal powers in Dishonored because you could get a 'bad' ending. It comes up a lot in games with nonlethal options.

You can solve it by not doing that kind of cheevo but that just contributes to achievements being boring

to be fair the guns stunk in mirror's edge and the game was a lot more fun not using them. they were only in there because it was the aughts and every game wanted to siphon some cod dollars by putting guns in their game.