Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Donrf posted:

So what? What's in it for us? Even if the cossacks of Jesul Trumpenko win?

Zvezdanews posted:

Data on congressional elections as of this morning, according to various media outlets.

Senate (100 seats):

Fox: Democrats 48 - Republicans 48
NBC: Democrats 48 to Republicans 47
CNN: Democrats 48 - Republicans 47

House of Representatives (435 seats, need to control 218 for majority)

Fox: Democrats 164 - Republicans 192
NBC: Democrats 217 - Republicans 218 (projected)
CNN: Democrats 170 - Republicans 193

The count is still underway. But there are already statements coming out of the Republican camp that the party is taking back control of the House of Representatives.
(from t.me/zvezdanews/99336, via tgsa)
(from t.me/donrf22/8824, via tgsa)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/UN_Agency/status/1590322948832866304

https://twitter.com/Militarylandnet/status/1590301499422572547

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I'm sure some savvy leadership could tilt the Speaker vote, right...

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ukrainian NAFTA sounds like the worst legislation in the world

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1590089376138416128?s=20&t=xGwBuGCwN1b8PK1DPg_m2A

https://twitter.com/ukraine_world/status/1590074448794640384?s=20&t=xGwBuGCwN1b8PK1DPg_m2A

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016
Russians are dooming about Kherson, talking about a possible retreat

https://twitter.com/sashakots/status/1590328745079947264

There's going to be announcement by Putin this evening, supposedly regarding Kherson

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

euphronius posted:

Probably, but to put it in english the name is Ukroil.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

a giant sucking sound

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Oh wait, that word is also in english?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naphtha

Ukrnaphtha, ok nobody is remembering that one.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Yuzall never used naphtha before? We had some at home, sometimes used for automotive grease stains in clothes, making fire starters from egg cartons and lint and such.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

samogonka posted:

Russians are dooming about Kherson, talking about a possible retreat

https://twitter.com/sashakots/status/1590328745079947264

There's going to be announcement by Putin this evening, supposedly regarding Kherson

Yeah, the news is abuzz that the Russians are up and withdrawing. It is certainly a pretty massive defeat if it is so. Also, a lot of seems rumor mill grade information, so yeah we will see.

Some channels are trying to hint at least there will be a ceasefire.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 15:54 on Nov 9, 2022

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/marina0swald/status/1590081626129977345#m

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, the news is abuzz that the Russians are up and withdrawing. It is certainly a pretty massive defeat if it is so. Also, a lot of seems rumor mill grade information, so yeah we will see.

Some channels are trying to hint at least there will be a ceasefire.

maybe the rumours about an agreed ceasefire in exchange for kherson are true

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Which side of the Dnieper is Kherson on ?

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016
right bank, means western side

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

The democrats didn't get slaughtered and the russians are retreating. Libs stay winning

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

samogonka posted:

right bank, means western side

makes sense then Russia does not ultimately want it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

oh I found a map

wow Russia is really losing

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
wow I can’t believe my impression from June that Russia will ultimately lose the war or settle for far less was true, what an embarrassing strategic catastrophe for the Russians.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

lol posters here love a good stab in the back as much as the russian nationalists.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

euphronius posted:

oh I found a map

wow Russia is really losing

considering their initial goals (regime change to prevent Ukraine from joining the eu and nato) and what they’re getting ( a rabid armed to the teeth NATO fortress that lost very few of its major cities and will immediately join the EU and nato) I would absolutely call it a massive strategic defeat for the Russians, Ukraine will be a permanent knife in the side of Russia for decades to come and the Russian military has been thoroughly discredited as any kind of effective fighting force and have been soundly held off by the ukranians who were never broken in any major way.

the Russians earned every bit of this defeat though, that’s what happens with incompetent dictators like putin.

Al-Saqr has issued a correction as of 16:17 on Nov 9, 2022

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t think those where the initial goals.

anyway I don’t judge things by comparing them to white board aspirations

IAMNOTADOCTOR
Sep 26, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

wow I can’t believe my impression from June that Russia will ultimately lose the war or settle for far less was true, what an embarrassing strategic catastrophe for the Russians.

As a casual reader of this thread: you being the only one to change your mind multiple times since January based on new information was one of the best parts of this thread.

Mocked like modern Cassandra, but at least willing to change your opinion.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

euphronius posted:

I don’t think those where the initial goals.

anyway I don’t judge things by comparing them to white board aspirations

I dunno dude I think judging people by how they fared against their openly held goals is legitimate.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

I dunno dude I think judging people by how they fared against their openly held goals is legitimate.

maybe for like a local school fund raiser or self improvement program at a local gym but not war

have you ever read Sun tzu ??: “no war plan survives first contact with the enemy”

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

euphronius posted:

maybe for like a local school fund raiser or self improvement program at a local gym but not war

have you ever read Sun tzu ??: “no war plan survives first contact with the enemy”

pretty sure that's clausewitz

edit: it's Moltke

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016
Surovikin just announced withdrawal from kherson

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Well they didn’t get regime change but also the West didn’t really handicapped the Russian federation as they wanted.

So it is a large embarrassment but at the same time I would say the ultimate balance of power didn’t really shift. It just now Russian has a much of unfinished business on its border and has given the US an in to constantly aggravate it.

That said, it is saying something that the Russians had weeks to figure out Kherson and they simply couldn’t.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 16:31 on Nov 9, 2022

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Al-Saqr posted:

Amusing that Ukraine got both Militarized and Nazified, failing on both of the Special Operation's stated objectives.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Wonder why they bothered mobilizing and building all those fortifications.

Oh well, best of luck to any russians still left there dodging all the nazi death squads.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

if your goal is to kill all the nazis and you only kill some of them , I would not say that is a failure.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

i dont care who wins i just want the war to end and people to stop dying.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

samogonka posted:

Surovikin just announced withdrawal from kherson

ok that settles it, I’ve seen enough Russia lost this war in a major major way, they deserve this loss, they went completely against all military logic and treated what was clearly an existentially strategic and important war like a game and got the appropriate whooping for it. they have no one but themselves to blame for this defeat and they’re gonna have to eat poo poo and deal with a permanently hostile ukranian fortress that has utterly and completely out fought and ought smarter the Russians in every way.

big congrats to the Ukranians, it’s really hard to not recognize that those guys really gave it their all and we’re never decisively broken on the battlefield, an amazing and historic accomplishment on their end, they are absolutely going to open a new chapter as a country, shame about them being a reactionary right wing country though, but man seeing the Russians really get their just desserts for what they did in Syria is really satisfying.

glad the wars end is in sight, in the end the Ukranians wanted it more and acted correctly and accordingly and the Russians ate poo poo, hopefully they negotiate a ceasefire soon now that it’s clear russia has no path to winning the war in any way.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

hopefully that means a ceasefire is in sight

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Lostconfused posted:

Wonder why they bothered mobilizing and building all those fortifications.

Oh well, best of luck to any russians still left there dodging all the nazi death squads.

As for mobilizing and hitting infrastructure it is unclear now, either this was a major setback but they still have some type of plan for more operations or there just isn’t much of a strategy to be had.

It may be those fortifications weren’t really going to Kherson city itself but to the left (eastern bank) and the reporting was just generally poor/inaccurate.

————

It really depends on if the Russians can continue to the war or if they are truly hapless on the field.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ukraine can’t survive many more victories

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

speng31b posted:

hopefully that means a ceasefire is in sight

yes, just loving end this nonsense. its all so loving stupid

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
this shoigu guy seems to be incredibly bad at running the military

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

They're going to be "russian" all the way home to moscow!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

this shoigu guy seems to be incredibly bad at running the military

Mr Strelkov it's nice to see you finally join us here.