Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

are you talking to yourself or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Southpaugh posted:

I really took "de-nazification" as a euphemism for regime change.

Maybe, but then that's not "de-Nazification" in any meaningful way. As speng31b, Ukraine's going to end up with a lot more Nazis within its borders now than it would have if Russia hadn't invaded.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

the way i see it, ukraine taking kherson is a huge victory full stop. but the russians have a few different directions they can go: they can either take the L and start negotiating a ceasefire under current conditions, or stabilize a front they can easily supply, continue missile strikes, and see where they are after a long winter of attrition. I hope they go with the first one.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t want to get into a whole argument about it but I remember Russia killing a whole bunch of nazis this year.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

euphronius posted:

I don’t want to get into a whole argument about it but I remember Russia killing a whole bunch of nazis this year.

They did, but that was more of a happy accident on their part.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Majorian posted:

They did, but that was more of a happy accident on their part.

I think the intent was there !!!

(omg it’s a reverse genocide argument )

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Pistol_Pete posted:

If Russia thinks that it can't hold Kherson, even with all the extra troops that they've called up, the military situation must be a lot grimmer than they've admitted to. Like other posters have said, I can't believe they'd casually abandon the city, after expending so much time and effort to capture it in the 1st place. Is this them settling into easily defensible positions for the winter and trying to wait the Ukrainians out?

I mean they didn't spend all that much time or energy capturing it in the first place, they kind of just strolled in on like day 3 of the conflict because the Ukrainian army was so dysfunctional at the start of the conflict.

Russias tendency to abandon positions without really fighting for them seems to be annoying for people in this thread, but I can't really say it's the wrong decision if it was a disadvantaged spot to defend. Russias obviously got to pick their battles and I'm sure there will be similar withdrawals in the future as they work towards whatever their goals are.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I also want this…and the more victories Ukraine racks up the less likely it is

Russia is not going to march on Kiev again without a gruesome body count. They absolutely stalled out and they are not going to win a slugfest easily now that Ukraine has been able to bounce back from the initial losses. They utterly failed to capitalize on their momentum from the first months of the war and allowed an absurd amount of aid to get into Ukraine.

At this point Ukraine continuing to win might cost less lives than the horrific slog that a Russian victory would. I hope that they can abandon their own insane dreams of a reconquest of the annexed regions and can simply loving end this.

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

speng31b posted:

the way i see it, ukraine taking kherson is a huge victory full stop. but the russians have a few different directions they can go: they can either take the L and start negotiating a ceasefire under current conditions, or stabilize a front they can easily supply, continue missile strikes, and see where they are after a long winter of attrition. I hope they go with the first one.

We're probably gonna get the latter, everyone's been pretty much bracing for this winter.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
be fair, they did achieve some de-nazification, they made wagner group take their patches off for group photos.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ardennes posted:

You could have saved 8 months of posting and just posted that and saved everyone a lot of time.

lol

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jose Mengelez posted:

be fair, they did achieve some de-nazification, they made wagner group take their patches off for group photos.

Yes, PR points there.:hai:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Starsfan posted:

I mean they didn't spend all that much time or energy capturing it in the first place, they kind of just strolled in on like day 3 of the conflict because the Ukrainian army was so dysfunctional at the start of the conflict.

Russias tendency to abandon positions without really fighting for them seems to be annoying for people in this thread, but I can't really say it's the wrong decision if it was a disadvantaged spot to defend. Russias obviously got to pick their battles and I'm sure there will be similar withdrawals in the future as they work towards whatever their goals are.

I don't think Russia can afford any more major withdrawals after this one really, unless it's part of a peace deal. This one makes sense because of the geography, and the last one could be explained away as the fault of planners not mobilizing sooner due to political reasons, but anything past this is pretty much just a military disaster where even the mobilized Russian army demonstrably can't hold their own.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
one thing that scratched the back of my head is what Saudi Arabia is gonna do, they really went to bat for the Russians with the oil price thing and they were hoping to kneecap Biden significantly, now that the Russians have lost and Biden is still in an OK position is america gonna make them pay a price or is it bygones be bygones?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

one thing that scratched the back of my head is what Saudi Arabia is gonna do, they really went to bat for the Russians with the oil price thing and they were hoping to kneecap Biden significantly, now that the Russians have lost and Biden is still in an OK position is america gonna make them pay a price or is it bygones be bygones?

nah, even if biden is pissed at the saudis he's not in a position to actually punish them in any way. this is an area where any american leader in that position just has to swallow it and keep sucking up

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

My money's on letting bygones be bygones, both because I think Biden knows picking a fight with the whole world outside of Europe is a bad idea, and because Saudi Arabia being an underwriter of the American global order is too baked in to try to untangle in the best of times, let alone while there's a bunch of other poo poo going on.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

the biggest evidence we need that Russia wasn’t seriously pursuing de-nazification was the way they executed this war, they sure didn’t act like they were fighting Nazis because they didn’t put any thought or massive resources into it, it was a cynical gamble by putin to gobble up territory and regime change, he thought he could do it fast and for cheap and it exploded in his face spectacularly

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

did you all memory hole Mariopol

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

I think everyone is pretty sick of this war but ukriane's probably not going to settle for losing tens of thousands of square miles of territory to russia every few years when they have the nato money hose going and have proven that russia is too incompetent to murder them all

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Al-Saqr posted:

The Saudi alliance with the Russians was far more about China than it was about Russia. The Chinese specifically have a long range plan that requires Eurasian cooperation.

Main benefactor of this is still China not the US, and in that sense I think there is still going to be tension.

We will see at the next OPEC meeting in December.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

euphronius posted:

Remember how every time the US invaded a place to root out terrorism it led to a bunch more terrorism? That's Russia invading Ukraine to get rid of Nazis.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

This was is going for almost 9 years now.

There will be no peace.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Remember how every time the US invaded a place to root out terrorism it led to a bunch more terrorism? That's Russia invading Ukraine to get rid of Nazis.

that’s a good argument.

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

yes killing neo nazis in ukraine was secondary to ensuring that ukraine remains out of western orbit

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

Higher gas prices are good for oil companies so no, it doesn't matter. Probably not great for the saudi western pr blitz though

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

euphronius posted:

The thread is still generally western chauvinist (American) just not pro-NATO or pro-war.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Lostconfused posted:

Mr Strelkov it's nice to see you finally join us here.

i mean what other conclusion can there be. they already fired everyone else so he's been the only constant between all the fuckups from day 1 until now

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i mean what other conclusion can there be. they already fired everyone else so he's been the only constant between all the fuckups from day 1 until now

I can think of one other person who might be responsible.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I don't think Russia can afford any more major withdrawals after this one really, unless it's part of a peace deal. This one makes sense because of the geography, and the last one could be explained away as the fault of planners not mobilizing sooner due to political reasons, but anything past this is pretty much just a military disaster where even the mobilized Russian army demonstrably can't hold their own.

Yeah I agree, Kharkov outside of Izyum was fairly marginal and Kherson while important had a clear vulnerability but if the Russians simply can’t hold the line at this point then there is nothing to do but throw in the towel.

They still have a potential army of reservists but again it really doesn’t seem clear if they can put a force together that can make major offensives.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

euphronius posted:

seriously my dude, Russia was about as motivated by denazification as Assad is motivated by fighting IS or al Qaeda or al Nusra or whatever those groups call themselves now. don't let the fact that Russia fought some nazis or the Lion of Damascus fought some extremists fool you.

also maybe don't take Putin at face value when he talks about denazification any more than you'd take Biden at face value when he talks about loving anything

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

My gut tells me this war will gone on for twelve more years for twenty years total. And that's in its explicit form. Similar to Iraq and pretty much all wars in my living memory. Thinking about it now, there must be some war room out there espousing lovely war doctrine of "well, if we can't do high intensity total war cause of them nuclear warheads, we need to draw it out to spend just as much on war industry - - you know, flatten the curve."

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I can think of one other person who might be responsible.

i mean from a running the military perspective unless putin has been moving non-existent units on maps

GlassElephant
Oct 25, 2009

Schwere Panzerabteilung 502
Discovered they were Glass Elephants, 27 APR 45

euphronius posted:

We all get periodic reminders as Russia slowly releases the people captured there (including people they specifically identified as Nazis who would be prosecuted) in prisoner exchanges.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Al-Saqr posted:

the biggest evidence we need that Russia wasn’t seriously pursuing de-nazification was the way they executed this war

Also the first thing they offered to negotiate on.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Donrf posted:

Для наглядности. Сейчас хохлы быстро через целые мосты перекинут группировку на Левый берег и ударят на Юг(синяя стрелка) параллельно перекрыв Чонгар хаотичными обстрелами(белая стрелка). У кого что высвободилось - ума не приложу. Больше скажу - на фоне этого и договорняк победа. Только кто позволит то?
(from t.me/donrf22/8858, via tgsa)

Good argument.

The east side of Dnipro isn't defensible. The Kherson group is now free to move to Zaporozhia and attack from there cutting off anyone trying to defend it. And obviously giving that up means Crimea is next.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The Nazis killed 14 million Russians, so Putin defines "nazi" as anyone who hates Russians. That this happens to encompass actual neo-Nazis in Ukraine is a side effect.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Chamale posted:

The Nazis killed 14 million Russians, so Putin defines "nazi" as anyone who hates Russians. That this happens to encompass actual neo-Nazis in Ukraine is a side effect.

Not really considering that those nazis are specifically there as a bulwark against Russia. Nazis are a convenient tool for both sides and that's exactly why they're there.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

(from t.me/donrf22/8858, via tgsa)

Good argument.

The east side of Dnipro isn't defensible. The Kherson group is now free to move to Zaporozhia and attack from there cutting off anyone trying to defend it. And obviously giving that up means Crimea is next.

gee too bad putin isn’t going to do anything about it. maybe replace him with someone who’s not a moron?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

GlassElephant posted:

We all get periodic reminders as Russia slowly releases the people captured there (including people they specifically identified as Nazis who would be prosecuted) in prisoner exchanges.

yeah it's kinda hard to argue "denazification" if the nazis you actually did manage to capture from Mariupol (and other places) end up getting released anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

gee too bad putin isn’t going to do anything about it. maybe replace him with someone who’s not a moron?

I am not in Russia, nothing I can do about it :shrug: