Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Oregon governor might still go red but I think there’s enough uncounted in Portland to make it a dem hold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
a bunch of shut in doomers with decade old poly sci degrees posting on a leftist offshoot board on a comedy forum are wrong over something

Curious !

Old Story
Jun 2, 2006

Oven Wrangler
if cspam is going to get good at predicting political outcomes, we're gonna have to get democrat-brained, sorry folks. We're gonna have to worry about if the new Taylor Swift album has lyrics that give big male manipulator vibes, we're gonna have to read Ross Douthat's thinkpieces, we're absolutely going to have to have all-night roundtable policy wonk sessions about means-tested home renovation tax credits for mom-and-pop landlords who operate 12 rental units or less in areas we determine are food deserts.

it's time to dehumanise ourselves and face to eggheads

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Blitz of 404 Error posted:

Well, I'd like to see ol Dems wriggle their way out of THIS jam!
*Dems wriggle their way out of the jam easily
Ah! Well. Nevertheless,

this is depraved

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Old Story posted:

if cspam is going to get good at predicting political outcomes, we're gonna have to get democrat-brained, sorry folks. We're gonna have to worry about if the new Taylor Swift album has lyrics that give big male manipulator vibes, we're gonna have to read Ross Douthat's thinkpieces, we're absolutely going to have to have all-night roundtable policy wonk sessions about means-tested home renovation tax credits for mom-and-pop landlords who operate 12 rental units or less in areas we determine are food deserts.

it's time to dehumanise ourselves and face to eggheads

I don't think even the Dems thought they were going to do this well.

Every single signal, historical precedent, gerrymandering, and approval poll pointed to an historic disaster. But, it looks like they are going to have the second best midterm performance of a new President's party in modern history and 4th best in U.S. history.

It legitimately doesn't make sense. Even weirder is that New York's gerrymander in favor of Dems getting overturned and having a judge set the new districts means that Republicans will likely owe their House majority to New York state and voters in NYC being deeply concerned about crime.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/1590112604676296704?s=20&t=hXj6pp5lL5brfLuPSxZIUw

They've got some consent to manufacture

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

StratGoatCom posted:

The only thing the dems have won long term is the right to be holding the bag when one of the multitude of FO they've FA'd about come to roost. Frankly, if it wasn't for independent state legislature, this would be surely a pyrhic victory long term.

All victories are pyrhic in this God awful system

the bitcoin of weed posted:

how bad did the dems get destroyed i havent paid attention to election results at all

I assume the big guy won PA but like what's the net gain in the senate

Not as bad as they thought they would be destroyed, which clearly means that they somehow won and don't have egg on their face from losing Roe under their watch lol

the bitcoin of weed posted:

lmao status quo in the senate is probably the worst outcome for everyone involved I guess I'll take that

This is the true cspam belief. Not that Dems were fated to lose, but that we the people were.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

the democrats shamble on but a lot of very stupid and funny stuff happened so it's a push, I think

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm 100% down for Brandon being forced out and an "open"******* primary in 2023-24

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The rare Ben Shapiro/CSPAM convergence:

https://twitter.com/benshapiro/status/1590317384866619393

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

worst person you know

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

I’m sad the Dems didn’t lose, but I’m glad the republicans didn’t win

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I don't think even the Dems thought they were going to do this well.

Every single signal, historical precedent, gerrymandering, and approval poll pointed to an historic disaster. But, it looks like they are going to have the second best midterm performance of a new President's party in modern history and 4th best in U.S. history.

It legitimately doesn't make sense. Even weirder is that New York's gerrymander in favor of Dems getting overturned and having a judge set the new districts means that Republicans will likely owe their House majority to New York state and voters in NYC being deeply concerned about crime.

I think a lot of people (and by that I mean me) discounted just how ossified people have become. People aren’t reacting to the party in charge. They’re voting based on the party they identify as part of and come hell or high water that’s the way

Remains to be seen if this is going to work long term if poo poo gets really bad (and things can definitely get a lot worse) but for now running against trump does appear to be a successful electoral strategy even when trump isn’t on the ballot

I’ll be over here eating my crow waiting for the demokkkrats to be destroyed in 20XX

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My only explanation for the Demon Rats' overperformance is just the fact that most Americans are not Republicans and don't like their brand of insanity, and enough of them were mobilized to vote for Anything But That. I have no real insight to offer.

I still have a hard time believing that either Trump or Biden will have the physical and mental stamina to run in 2024. If Trump runs again, it will be a different kind of funny from the last time. It might even be a kind of funny that I actually think is funny.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

it looks like they are going to have the second best midterm performance of a new President's party in modern history and 4th best in U.S. history.

this is legit sickening

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

My only explanation for the Demon Rats' overperformance is just the fact that most Americans are not Republicans and don't like their brand of insanity, and enough of them were mobilized to vote for Anything But That. I have no real insight to offer.

I still have a hard time believing that either Trump or Biden will have the physical and mental stamina to run in 2024. If Trump runs again, it will be a different kind of funny from the last time. It might even be a kind of funny that I actually think is funny.

two dementia addled morons i cant wait

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

DrPossum posted:

this is legit sickening

It’s pretty funny in its own way. I thought I’d be laughing at the blue team for bungling their way into historic losses, and instead I’m laughing at the red team for the biggest wet fart of a red wave ever

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Oregon governor might still go red but I think there’s enough uncounted in Portland to make it a dem hold

This is going to be part of the new republican playbook soon, much in the same way some republicans fund the green party. Phil Knight funded 2 candidates, a centrist dem running third party and the republican. The centrist dem obviously siphoned off enough votes to make it competitive. Going to be a winning strategy going forward given the fact that it almost got a republican elected in Oregon, which is quite the feat.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
the red trickle

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Checks out. Boomer Dem parents like Biden but think he’s too goddamn old.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

This is going to be part of the new republican playbook soon, much in the same way some republicans fund the green party. Phil Knight funded 2 candidates, a centrist dem running third party and the republican. The centrist dem obviously siphoned off enough votes to make it competitive. Going to be a winning strategy going forward given the fact that it almost got a republican elected in Oregon, which is quite the feat.

This discounts that Tina wasn’t ever a particularly strong candidate outside of Portland metro. Idk what the answer to that is because I don’t think “get more conservative so you do better out in the valley/coast” is the right direction, but it’s pretty clear that the Phil knight strategy was primarily about skimming conservative Dems out of Tina’s coalition

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
With this thread's death, the thread of prophecy has been severed. Reload from an earlier electoral state to restore the weave of fate, or persist in the doomed world you have created.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

spacemang_spliff posted:

so are the democrats going to keep the house just with a smaller majority?

I didn't expect that but that's a lmao

e: lol

https://twitter.com/KyleKulinski/status/1590303021833293824

“His face shrank three sizes that day.”

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Curious about how Nevada Senate is going to go. If Masto loses I think the story is young vote turning out: Nevada has rapidly aged in recent years and Masto opposed student loan forgiveness. She was otherwise a standard Dem and tried to make the race about Dobbs

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I wonder if a lot of the lovely snowbirds changed their residency to Florida so they could get some actual fascism going there instead of being crushed in New York statewide races like before. That might explain why DeSantis did so well.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Other thread is reporting that the diarrhea bandit is no more.

edit:

https://twitter.com/joncoopertweets/status/1590334830637887489

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

synapse posted:

bad things will happen. who cares about the minutiae of exactly how bad

418 pages worth of posts, an entire subforum devoted to it
political junkies pretending they're not jonesing for a hit of the election tracker needle is sad

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

quote isn't edit

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

30.5 Days posted:

Curious about how Nevada Senate is going to go. If Masto loses I think the story is young vote turning out: Nevada has rapidly aged in recent years and Masto opposed student loan forgiveness. She was otherwise a standard Dem and tried to make the race about Dobbs

Vegas is where most of the outstanding vote is. I think Cortez Masto will manage to squeak it out.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Double posting to quote yourself because you’re really proud of a weak dunk is deeply embarrassing

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Just saw that Sean Patrick Maloney ate poo poo, lol and lmao at blue dogs.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I wanted to edit my post

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Halloween Jack posted:

yeah I think poo poo is so broken in the US it's really hard to make any kind of prediction that is going to have any accuracy at all. The democrats seemed like they were preparing to get owned hard. The republicans seemed like they were preparing to win a poo poo load. I don't think anyone was predicting "Democrats do the best in the midterms for the in-power party since the elections after 9/11" just like very few people seriously thought Trump was going to win in 2016.

My best explanation is that the people who vote in Republican primaries and shape the Republican agenda are way way too online. Most people are not the kind of sickos that post in CSPAM or D&D or follow twitter politics posters closely. Normal people do not know who the hell conceptual james is. Normal people do not know what the hell DSA is. I keep hearing about how Ron DeSantis is the future of the GOP and he'll win but republican posters saying this like him because he's really keyed in to online chud grievances. The only person IRL I've ever heard use the word "grooming" was my friend who worked for CPS and was telling me about training he did on identifying grooming (like the actual definition of grooming a child). I think chuds leaned in way too hard on culture war poo poo that normal people just don't identify with or care about. Dobbs freaked people out and the republican party looks like a bunch of weirdos. Biden looks like a normal person compared to trump and if this was a referendum on Biden (which I guess midterms are supposed to be) then it looks like soup brains beats out terminally online grievances.

idk gently caress it Biden's probably going to win a second term now though although maybe he doesn't. that's the best prediction I'll make

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Remains to be seen if this is going to work long term if poo poo gets really bad (and things can definitely get a lot worse) but for now running against trump does appear to be a successful electoral strategy even when trump isn’t on the ballot

trump was all over the ballot and he ate poo poo

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

spacemang_spliff posted:

yeah I think poo poo is so broken in the US it's really hard to make any kind of prediction that is going to have any accuracy at all. The democrats seemed like they were preparing to get owned hard. The republicans seemed like they were preparing to win a poo poo load. I don't think anyone was predicting "Democrats do the best in the midterms for the in-power party since the elections after 9/11" just like very few people seriously thought Trump was going to win in 2016.

My best explanation is that the people who vote in Republican primaries and shape the Republican agenda are way way too online. Most people are not the kind of sickos that post in CSPAM or D&D or follow twitter politics posters closely. Normal people do not know who the hell conceptual james is. Normal people do not know what the hell DSA is. I keep hearing about how Ron DeSantis is the future of the GOP and he'll win but republican posters saying this like him because he's really keyed in to online chud grievances. The only person IRL I've ever heard use the word "grooming" was my friend who worked for CPS and was telling me about training he did on identifying grooming (like the actual definition of grooming a child). I think chuds leaned in way too hard on culture war poo poo that normal people just don't identify with or care about. Dobbs freaked people out and the republican party looks like a bunch of weirdos. Biden looks like a normal person compared to trump and if this was a referendum on Biden (which I guess midterms are supposed to be) then it looks like soup brains beats out terminally online grievances.

idk gently caress it Biden's probably going to win a second term now though although maybe he doesn't. that's the best prediction I'll make

There is also a small contingent of Q weirdos who aren’t voting because they think everything is rigged now, which I don’t think made much of a difference, but it is funny.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Race called for dumb-as-rocks Ron Johnson.

Looks like we're getting a 49-50 Senate until the Georgia runoff.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Relevant Tangent posted:

trump was all over the ballot and he ate poo poo

I think the one thing that I’m certain of (and I’m wrong a lot, gonna need to get out of the prediction game) is that nobody will learn anything and in two years it’ll be basically the same movie with a slightly updated cast

My only evidence is this post

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Ngl it’s pretty funny how worthless that red wave has turned out to be but it’s really too bad that spanburger didn’t eat poo poo

Vance is going to be absolutely insufferable but Ryan was such a turd it’s pretty hard not to laugh at him losing on a night when GA and AZ and PA went for team blue

what the gently caress do you know, you were wrong about everything so far!

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
glad the most important election of my life is over. good luck to the Dems for the unimportant future elections

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

what the gently caress do you know, you were wrong about everything so far!

Thank you for noticing