Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Lostconfused posted:

I am not in Russia, nothing I can do about it :shrug:

I'm gonna found Indivisible Moscow and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

Now to take a big sip of my tea...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
it sure seems more of the world is sympathetic to neo nazis since this stupid war but who can say if the denazification goal is a failure

speng31b
May 8, 2010

mags posted:

it sure seems more of the world is sympathetic to neo nazis since this stupid war but who can say if the denazification goal is a failure

oops, nazified everyone

mags
May 30, 2008

speng31b posted:

oops, nazified everyone

mild nazi variants

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
my advice to putin right now would be to harden his heart and increase his attacks.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

mags posted:

Ukraine as a whole is way more nationalistic and filled with revanchist sentiment than before, which is about as favorable a condition to Nazis as possible, especially now that Western media are running cover for giving them all the weapons they want instead of acknowledging they're Nazis like they did even a couple years ago.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

mags posted:

world isn't any more sympathetic, that's just the mask slipping. everyone has always been fine with nazis, it's just less gauche to talk about it now

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lol it’s my own drat fault for getting that 3 day probe

mags
May 30, 2008

Azathoth posted:

world isn't any more sympathetic, that's just the mask slipping. everyone has always been fine with nazis, it's just less gauche to talk about it now

yeah that’s more accurate

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Azathoth posted:

**squaring off corners of mustache with beard trimmer** masks off boys

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
one thing is for sure, nato and america have been taking extremely detailed notes in warfare post Iraq and have actually internalized a lot of its lessons, applied all of it in Ukraine, they really pulled off an impressive feat and they are still a force not to be trifled with, the Iraq ‘fatigue’ is now sadly in the past.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

lol it’s my own drat fault for getting that 3 day probe

Ive said it, just probate FF for 30 days and the war is over

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Planet's Nazi, Cloud...

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
you know come to think of it I can't help but notice that the great reversal for Russia's fortunes happened right around the time that Calibanibal flipped into being Ukraines #1 supporter.. what did he know that we did not?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
ukraine is doing better because calibanibal flipped, not the other way around, op

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lol @ all this Mickey Mouse bullshit. Is Kherson Russia or not? What was the point of the referendums? It’s one thing to start a war you aren’t resolved to win, but one you aren’t even willing to fight?

It would be better to enter talks today than to wait until Russian forces have withdrawn to Crimea or the Kerch Peninsula because their commanders are unwilling to throw men into battle. Every turned flank or situation with a numerical disadvantage turns out the same way, and while tactically and operationally it makes sense, it’s impossible to win a war that way, which points to still more political bullshit.

They’ve consigned thousands of civilians to execution and not fired a shot in their defence.

Greece is the Fourth Rome, long live Greece, I guess.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

It would be better to enter talks today

this

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Starsfan posted:

you know come to think of it I can't help but notice that the great reversal for Russia's fortunes happened right around the time that Calibanibal flipped into being Ukraines #1 supporter.. what did he know that we did not?

He didn't know anything, he is just so powerful that reality warps to his will.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Azathoth posted:

He didn't know anything, he is just so powerful that reality warps to his will.

Our own personal Scarlet Witch.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Well on the NYT the news about Kherson completely pushed out the election, if you want a priorities.jog, here is your shot.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ardennes posted:

Well on the NYT the news about Kherson completely pushed out the election, if you want a priorities.jog, here is your shot.

Vladimir Putin DNC operative confirmed

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Someone hasn't been paying attention..

Russia was always ready to negotiate.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

Someone hasn't been paying attention..

Russia was always ready to negotiate.

maybe, but "taking kherson is the opening point to negotiations" is the US's stance

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I mean a lot of these arguments are asking me to posit that Russia is as bad as America and nato and idk about that

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

speng31b posted:

maybe, but "taking kherson is the opening point to negotiations" is the US's stance

Now we just have to wait and see if they lied about it or not.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

Now we just have to wait and see if they lied about it or not.

spoiler alert

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

lol @ all this Mickey Mouse bullshit. Is Kherson Russia or not? What was the point of the referendums? It’s one thing to start a war you aren’t resolved to win, but one you aren’t even willing to fight?

this to me is the biggest mystery of all, it’s really astoundingly confusing why Russia bothered with any of this at all if this is all they’re able/willing/capable of doing, it’s a completely self-inflicted defeat that is truly astounding in its lack of foresight or strategic thinking. I genuinely have no idea why the Russians started such a strategically decisive conflict without any sort of study, planning or resource commitment to see it through to the end. I genuinely wonder what putin and his cronies were thinking. an astounding waste of life.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Starsfan posted:

I mean they didn't spend all that much time or energy capturing it in the first place, they kind of just strolled in on like day 3 of the conflict because the Ukrainian army was so dysfunctional at the start of the conflict.

Oh right, I might have been thinking of of Mariupol or something.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Al-Saqr posted:

this to me is the biggest mystery of all, it’s really astoundingly confusing why Russia bothered with any of this at all if this is all they’re able/willing/capable of doing, it’s a completely self-inflicted defeat that is truly astounding in its lack of foresight or strategic thinking. I genuinely have no idea why the Russians started such a strategically decisive conflict without any sort of study, planning or resource commitment to see it through to the end. I genuinely wonder what putin and his cronies were thinking. an astounding waste of life.
Kick in the door and the whole rotten house etc, etc.

Classic way to lose a war.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

Vladimir Putin DNC operative confirmed

It depends on how you want to spin the election. Cspam didn’t get its tidal wave of blood (doesn’t really happen that much to be frank) but they lost the House and the Senate is TBD.

As far as Kherson, the supply lines were the weak link and it was a constant battle of attrition as Russia’s options became more limited. They weren’t totally cut off but they were perhaps in a position where it very well was possible.

But it gets to the other point, that the Ukrainians could do that because the Russians simply couldn’t place any other pressure on other fronts and the Russians had the option of sitting there and taking it or retreating.

It also begs the question where it does from here because they hit a bunch of infrastructure and they have mobilized guys but the only real option at this point is an attack in the North.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Kick in the door and the whole rotten house etc, etc.

Classic way to lose a war.

yeah I guess that’s it at the end of the day

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Azathoth posted:

:yeah:, I was going to say this

but also the media demonization of the other faction (Russia) hasn't helped. it's all very depressing.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think the biggest question about Russia underestimating Ukraine and thinking it would be a cake walk is if the military told the political leadership it would be easy and that miscalculation led to the decision to invade, or if the political leadership decided to invade and told the military to explain why it would be a cakewalk. Tbf the West seems to have thought Ukraine would be quickly overrun too, so it's not as obvious an error as it might appear in hindsight, just a costly one they held onto for far too long even after it became clear that it wasn't true.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah the initial strategy was bizarre and seemed to be half assed regime change.

It is just when it failed there was no plan B and the Russians had to progressively retreat from the territory they took because they didn’t have the troops.

That said the Donbass campaign was rather bizarre because it took a ton of resources and effort for not achieving very much strategically. I don’t know why you would pursue a campaign of isolation without reserves to call on.

It feels like the general staff just doesn’t have any good Intel or any way to use it. We know they have at least UAVs but their strategy is very scatter shot.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Frosted Flake posted:

Russia's decision not to defend territory that they've officially claimed is really weird. like.... maybe the EU economy is collapsing but it doesn't help the people who you've abandoned. surely maintaining popular support is important?!?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

crepeface posted:

surely maintaining popular support is important?!?
Apparently not.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ardennes posted:

That said the Donbass campaign was rather bizarre because it took a ton of resources and effort for not achieving very much strategically. I don’t know why you would pursue a campaign of isolation without reserves to call on.

Well it makes sense from the point of view of getting the militia volunteers and conscripts killed I guess.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

A militarily incoherent plan and cautious-to-timid execution points to political interference in every example I can think of.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

crepeface posted:

Russia's decision not to defend territory that they've officially claimed is really weird. like.... maybe the EU economy is collapsing but it doesn't help the people who you've abandoned. surely maintaining popular support is important?!?

The mistake was annexing it, not in refusing to fight to the last for territory that's basically impossible to hold. There were commanders urging the leadership to abandon Kherson quite some time ago, but it didn't happen for political reasons, because Putin wanted the popularity/patriotic boost from the annexations to offset the unpopular mobilization order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If we begin from the premise that Russia called it wrong and started a war that they now realize they cannot win, it is a good thing if they decide to stop throwing good money after bad.