Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

First road trip with the Bolt- San Francisco to Santa Monica. So far the car is great- I’ve been able to use the adaptive cruise and I find it useful, I’m glad I went for that addition. Doing the first of three charges now at a ChargePoint DCFC station. The only hiccup so far was that ABRP lost the voice connection early on in the trip and I had to pull over around 30 minutes so I could reconnect to CarPlay (I had missed a turnoff)

Bonus: road food

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Good news, we have an EV wagon! :woop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCwrWjEATf0

The trunk seems a bit disappointing, just ~10cm deeper than the Fit. The MGs are generally pretty affordable, this one is around 30k usd or gbp it seems and looks nicer than a Dacia.

E: Two hundred km highway range when it's not even cold isn't that great though

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 6, 2022

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

The trunk seems a bit disappointing, just ~10cm deeper than the Fit. The MGs are generally pretty affordable, this one is around 30k usd or gbp it seems and looks nicer than a Dacia.

Hopefully it's better than the awful turd CUVs they rent out at Budget. What's the UI like? My experience left me with the strong impression that buying all the correct buttons and screens from suppliers and putting them in the places other companies put them is no guarantee anyone has ever sat in the car and thought about using them.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Bird is on the move. Hope I can make it back for the dog trial, must have committed a pretty bad crime if they’re advertising it this far in advance.

Saw an R1T stopped on the side of the highway. Hopefully not due to mechanical failure but not sure, they weren’t trying to flag people down or anything. Also saw a dude with an F-150 and a gas can that was trying to flag people down.

Only had one phantom brake in 200 miles, due to a truck way in front of me hitting a puddle and kicking up a munch of spray. Only slowed me down 5 mph though before it sped me back up.

The McDonald’s in Winnemucca smells a bit of urine.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 6, 2022

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Finger Prince posted:

Hopefully it's better than the awful turd CUVs they rent out at Budget.

Nope, the crossover is the one they put all the effort into, the wagon is just a cheap domestic car that was exported as an afterthought.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Is current MG related at all to the original manufacturer who made the sports cars? Because I would worry a lot about reliability if so :haw:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

priznat posted:

Is current MG related at all to the original manufacturer who made the sports cars? Because I would worry a lot about reliability if so :haw:

Better. They sold the whole brand and the entire contents of the factory to China, who just kept making the cars. That was years ago now though, I'm sure they've improved since.
[narrator voice: they haven't]

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Finger Prince posted:

Better. They sold the whole brand and the entire contents of the factory to China, who just kept making the cars. That was years ago now though, I'm sure they've improved since.
[narrator voice: they haven't]

The last MG that most Americans are familiar with is the late seventies MGB. Nothing after that came to the states with the MG badge on it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the reliability is definitely better but it would be hard not to be

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

MrYenko posted:

The last MG that most Americans are familiar with is the late seventies MGB. Nothing after that came to the states with the MG badge on it.

My dad had a 1974 MG Roadster. It was a colossal piece of poo poo.

He traded it in the late 70's for a Bradley GT, the lovely older model with the unframed gull-wing doors that would crack in a light breeze, and leaked like a sieve anytime it rained. It was loud and rough and probably a rolling deathtrap.

But it looked sporty and was sparkly red and my friends thought I was the coolest kid in school when he'd drop me off in it.

So what I'm saying is, bring back the Bradley GT, but as an EV, please.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Nov 7, 2022

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

mobby_6kl posted:

This is like a 2 or 3 year old platform, which could explain the lower mileage. Latest MG electric hatch seems to be getting rave reviews with close to 300mile range.

https://youtu.be/ad0coz3o01c

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 7, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

priznat posted:

They were still making cars at the very same Longbridge plant, with the main bulkheads and machined parts hauled from china and final assembly in UK to avoid import fees, until 2016.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

GlassEye-Boy posted:

This is like a 2 or 3 year old platform, which could explain the lower mileage. Latest MG electric hatch seems to be getting rave reviews with close to 300mile range.

https://youtu.be/ad0coz3o01c
I'm not an MG understander so thanks. I've seen the hatch reviews and thought this would be similar, Bjorn seems to be reasonably pleased with it as a budget EV, but he does mention that it's a facelift so it's probably an older base car yeah. He has a new video of the 1000 km challenge, apparently something went wrong :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUhDfzGZZ0s

I also noticed that Fully Charges has a long video on the Ioniq 6 already: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_COM7zsoh3w

There are a couple of "first look" type videos that are pretty surface level so this seems to be the first detailed one where he drives it quite a bit.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is it still worth it to get an EV in this car economy?

I'm looking at Carvana and see this: https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/2505534

150m is good enough for most days (30-40 miles a day at most), but if I want to see some of my friends, those happen to be about 63 miles one way. Google maps says there is allegedly a "chargepoint" station nearby his house, that I could park the car I suppose and then walk to his house while I'm there. No idea if that's free or if I have to like swipe my card or something or use an app or whatever

That price is also probably my high end, $30k probably an absolute cut off, not a penny more kind of thing, so unfortunately no teslas for me. Looks like that monthly payment would be around $500 a month, which I can afford double that, if I don't spend anything fun on myself in the next 3 years, but we all know that's bullshit

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I wouldn't buy a used Leaf at that price. You can get a brand new Bolt for around that much and not have to worry about the range.

I assume here that Bolts aren't subject to an insane markup due to dealer greed, a thing which is not at all guaranteed.

e: oh :lol: never mind. Dealers are scum. Still a lot for a used leaf and immediate range anxiety imo.

Loucks fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 7, 2022

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Loucks posted:

I wouldn't buy a used Leaf at that price. You can get a brand new Bolt for around that much and not have to worry about the range.

I assume here that Bolts aren't subject to an insane markup due to dealer greed, a thing which is not at all guaranteed.

cars.com shows 6 in 250 miles that are 2020 and starts at $27,500

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/04ea03f8-6397-48b4-9aad-8c447daebef0/

Hrm, this one says 27,610, maybe that's worth it...

side question how much does it cost to wrap a car like this? grey is such an ugly color, I want an orange car lol

Huh, there's a red 2023 bolt 193 miles away and it's only 29k....I'll have to talk to my bank and see what they're willing to do.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 7, 2022

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

cars.com shows 6 in 250 miles that are 2020 and starts at $27,500

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/04ea03f8-6397-48b4-9aad-8c447daebef0/

Hrm, this one says 27,610, maybe that's worth it...

side question how much does it cost to wrap a car like this? grey is such an ugly color, I want an orange car lol

Huh, there's a red 2023 bolt 193 miles away and it's only 29k....I'll have to talk to my bank and see what they're willing to do.

Wait until January 2023 to buy, and a new Bolt will be eligible for the federal EV tax credit.

The exact specifics remain to be seen because of the weird battery sourcing clause, but waiting two months will definitely give you most if not all of the full $7500 credit.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Speaking of the federal tax credit, the 2023 ID.4 that are built in TN should now be eligible, correct? VW's FAQ seems to suggest that they're technically eligible but aren't currently recognized by the IRS. I just realized that those start low enough to get the full $4k NJ incentive but only if I stick with the RWD Pro model at about $42k as opposed to the AWD Pro at about $46k. Considering that my other "budget" options are FWD, that's no biggie if I can get it under $40k. I suppose it would be prudent to put down a reservation after doing a test drive but I feel like I definitely will want something before next summer.

Also apparently, a bill has been introduced to add a phase-in period for the battery sourcing and manufacturing requirement for the new tax credits. I'm not counting on it passing but it would be nice if it did as it would put the Ioniq 5 and EV6 back in the running. Sure they'll still be more expensive but it may be worth splurging for with the full tax credits.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/08/tesla-recalls-40000-cars-over-possible-loss-of-power-steering-.html

Oops, Tesla released an OTA update that killed power steering on bumpy roads.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
If anyone needs a primer on how fueling an EV works, my seven year old is prepared to offer lessons. Him the other night: "Oh look a gas station, we could stop for gas, but wait we're in dad's car we don't need gas we plug it in at home. But if we need to charge we can just go the the grocery store."

I guess stopping at several Meijers to supercharge on vacations has left an impression.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
I'm about to buy a Kia Niro EV (will post pics when I pic it up next month!) and this is my first EV so I had a noob question...

The Niro has a Type 2 plug, which also seems to be called a Mennekes? There's a Tesla charging station near me that has Type 2 chargers, but it says they are only for Teslas. Can I still use them? Would I just need to activate them using the Tesla app? Or is it not that simple? I'm in New Zealand if that makes a difference.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Red Rox posted:

I'm about to buy a Kia Niro EV (will post pics when I pic it up next month!) and this is my first EV so I had a noob question...

The Niro has a Type 2 plug, which also seems to be called a Mennekes? There's a Tesla charging station near me that has Type 2 chargers, but it says they are only for Teslas. Can I still use them? Would I just need to activate them using the Tesla app? Or is it not that simple? I'm in New Zealand if that makes a difference.

https://www.tesla.com/support/non-tesla-supercharging

See here.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Red Rox posted:

Apparently Tesla has some proprietary gubbins in their Type 2 chargers that only work with Teslas. So it probably won't work on a Niro.

Do you have a link to any photos of this charging port? I'm a little surprised to read that anybody would sell a new car with only a Type 2 port, but I know nothing about NZ.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

cruft posted:

Apparently Tesla has some proprietary gubbins in their Type 2 chargers that only work with Teslas. So it probably won't work on a Niro.

Do you have a link to any photos of this charging port? I'm a little surprised to read that anybody would sell a new car with only a Type 2 port, but I know nothing about NZ.

They also have the CSS part for rapid charging. But half of charging stations around where I live only seem to have the Type 2 ports.

Are these outdated?

Red Rox fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 8, 2022

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Type 2 (the top part) is AC so relatively slow charging like you'd do at home. I think a Niro probably makes out at around 7kW no matter the AC supply. The standard for AC in NZ is to provide a Type 2 socket and you BYO cable (although some locations have Type 1 or Type 2 AC with tethered cables)

DC Fast chargers use the lower pins and are anything from 25kW upwards and the cables are always tethered (and often annoyingly short)

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Saw another Polestar on my way to work yesterday. Saw a Rivian on my way home. Caught a glimpse of an Ioniq today. Looked chonky.

Somebody on my way to work got a red Bolt, which looks surprisingly okay. Somebody in my apartment building, who previously owned a Prius, got this thing. I wonder how they charge it. Note the wiring.

I envy.

I also saw a first-gen Mirai, but that's outside the scope of this thread, probably.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

BMW i3 is off into the sunset, 2014 with 34,000 miles sold to Carvana for $16,000.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Did you keep the charging cable?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Vegetable posted:

Almost, it was in my work bag, they didn't ask for it but I was afraid they were going to ding me for not including it after we signed all the documents and offered it up. They took it. I feel regret for offering it up with out request. Later I read the documents more throughly and the only they they required was all keys and remotes. More regret.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 9, 2022

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

I'd be so pissed looking at a used car and finding it's without a charging cable because some cheap rear end in a top hat wanted a few bucks

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Almost, it was in my work bag, they didn't ask for it but I was afraid they were going to ding me for not including it after we signed all the documents and offered it up. They took it. I feel regret for offering it up with out request. Later I read the documents more throughly and the only they they required was all keys and remotes. More regret.

This is performance art.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Beffer posted:

This is performance art.

Lmao

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Tragic, you could have bought a spare 500 dollar smart toaster with the money you made selling the charger on EBay.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Vegetable posted:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

He didn't, but he did take the floor mats, 50% of the fuses, and all the light bulbs from the rear of the car.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Three Olives posted:

lol what a loser!

E: to be clear I mean because you didn't keep it

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Nov 9, 2022

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Three Olives posted:

It's mindboggling how you believe that everyone knowing you're a cheapskate is worth $500.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

As long as he’s not complaining about kids using the neighborhood pool

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
I'm buying a Bolt in 2023 and probably an Equinox or Blazer in the next few years.

I want to get a charger now, though, to get the current tax credit. Is Grizzl-E still preferred? I don't think I need/want any smart options (the car itself can connect to wifi if I want discounted rates during off-peak hours).

I thought about getting one of their Duo models to eventually charge two at a time, but that would actually be twice as much.

Any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Start with checking on whatever your power company may be giving rebates/discounts for. You may not need smart options but a few hundred bucks might change your mind.