Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Infinity Gaia posted:

I think the best way to answer is to post an unedited set of patch notes for it.

code:
10/29/2021
v6.2.1 Environmental Effects

New Features:
Environmental effects have been added. (see below for details)
Improved crime formula for bank account. (the negative effect of
having a large bank account has been substantially increased,
but this negative effect is now divided by your police force
and a small portion of your military)

Environmental Effects:
Hundreds of skills can now affect temperature, humidity, visibility,
clutter, and realism during battle. (equipment influence, party comments,
and AI responses to the environment will arrive in a later update)
Fire skills greatly raise visibility.
Fire skills moderately raise temperature.
Fire skills moderately lower humidity.
Ice skills moderately lower temperature.
Powerful lightning skills slighty raise temperature.
Powerful lightning skills slighty raise visibility.
Earth skills greatly increase clutter.
Wind skills moderately lower humidity.
Wind skills slighty lower temperature.
Water skills greatly increase humidity.
Water skills slightly lower temperature.
Dark skills moderately lower visibility.
Holy spells greatly raise visibility.
Holy spells moderately lower realism.
Thread spells greatly raise realism.
Some philistine skills slighty raise realism.
Some philistine skills slightly lower realism.
Volleys of arrows slighty increases clutter.
Bleed effects slighty increase clutter.
Dagger's Smoke Bomb greatly lowers visibility.
Dagger's Smoke Bomb slightly increases clutter.
All potions slightly to moderately increase clutter.
Ice and Lightning bombs slighty to moderately increase clutter.
Living bombs slightly increase temperature.
Living bombs slightly lower visibility.
(if something is AoE, double its raising/lowering logic)
(if sometihng is internalized, like soul frost or corrupt, then
there's little to no environmental effect)
Effects from one battle do not transfer to another. (but maps do have
a default starting amount)
Higher temperatures significantly reduces stamina regen.
Higher temperatures significantly increases chance for burning.
Higher temperatures slighty reduce stagger and knock down resistance.
Higher temperatures slighty increases fire damage taken.
Higher temperatures slightly reduces water damage taken.
Higher temperatures significantly reduces ice damage taken.
Lower temperatures slighty reduces mana regen.
Lower temperatures greatly increases chance for freezing.
Lower temperatures significantly increases chance for freezing.
Lower temperatures slighty reduces fire damage taken.
Lower temperatures significantly increase water damage taken.
Higher humidity significantly reduces stamina regen.
Higher humidity significantly reduces chance for burning.
Higher humidity slightly increases lightning damage taken.
Higher humidity slightly reduces fire damage taken.
Lower humidity significantly increase chance for burning.
Lower humidity slightly increases fire damage taken.
Lower humidity slightly increases earth damage taken.
Very high brightness slighty reduces chance to hit.
Higher brightness slighty reduces dark and holy damage taken.
Lower brightness significantly reduces chance to hit.
Lower brightness significantly increases holy damage taken.
Lower brightness slightly increases dark damage taken.
Higher clutter slightly reduces chance to hit.
Higher clutter slightly increases chance to evade.
Higher clutter greatly reduces knock down resistance.
Higher clutter significantly reduce stagger resistance.
(clutter is the only effect that can't go in the negative)
Higher realism significantly reduces thread damage taken.
Lower realism significantly increases thread damage taken.
These effects are mostly hidden during battle. (displaying
these effects in battle would be information fatigue)

Misc:
Fixed switches not working properly in some PoBs.
Fixed pathing issue in PoB 2.
Okay, got all that? This is an RPGMaker game.

what the christfuck?

It probably has the least informative page in the entirety of Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

ChrisBTY posted:

I did not realize there were that many Dead State fans in the house. Also: sure.

I'm referring to the RPGs ;)

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Fruits of the sea posted:

I have zero interest in Warhammer but co-op games are cool and I know my group might want to play it. I miss the 4-packs :(

There’s plenty of WH fluff in Vermintide but it’s fairly light on story most of the time. If you enjoy whacking rats, evil wizards, and big meaty axe dudes with a wide variety of medieval weapons the WH stuff won’t get in the way at all.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

There’s plenty of WH fluff in Vermintide but it’s fairly light on story most of the time. If you enjoy whacking rats, evil wizards, and big meaty axe dudes with a wide variety of medieval weapons the WH stuff won’t get in the way at all.

Yeah I think I'll have a good time if we end up moving on to it even if I'm not invested in the setting. This is exactly the type of game I like to get free or heavily discounted because the alternative is we all buy it full price and 3 beers in on an impulse gaming night :v:

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Is there any sort of leveling or persistence elements in Vermintide? It looks like if Killing Floor went more melee focused but I like being able to work towards creating unique builds or weapons.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

there are too much leveling or persistence elements in vermintide, you'll be fine

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

ErrEff posted:

People like free stuff.

Depending on how you interpret Fatshark's latest announcement, around 10 million people claimed Vermintide 2 to their accounts?

A Warm Welcome to 10 Million New Players!

I grabbed it, went to install and saw it was 100gb, went nahhh. Maybe someday.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Some indie announcements today:

- Venba releasing Spring 2023
- Goodbye World releases this month
- Aka releases Dec 15th
- Coffee Talk Episode 2 releases Spring 2023
- Oni: Road to be the Mightiest Oni releases March 9th
- Desta: The Memories Between releases early 2023
- Space for the Unbound releases Jan 19th
- Devolver announced a new game, Pepper Grinder, for 2023
- Dordogne releases Spring 2023
- Botany Manor targeting 2023
- Once Upon a Jester shadowdropping today (at least, on Switch)
- Blanc releases Feb 14th
- WrestleQuest releases in May
- Storyteller releases March 23
- Curse of the Sea Rats releases Summer 2023
- Sports Story (sequel to Golf Story) releases next month. I think it's Switch only though

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Jimbot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_jbJwEWOm0

I backed this forever ago. It shaped up really well and I'm looking forward to playing it!

This looks great, thank you for posting

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sloppy posted:

I grabbed it, went to install and saw it was 100gb, went nahhh. Maybe someday.

I wasn't sure if I had to actually Install it to claim it so I downloaded it and immediately uninstalled it

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Blurb3947 posted:

Is there any sort of leveling or persistence elements in Vermintide? It looks like if Killing Floor went more melee focused but I like being able to work towards creating unique builds or weapons.

You can use off-meta talents and weapons just fine in anything but the sweatiest difficulty, and even there you might be able to get away with it if you're good enough. I don't play the top difficulty so idk. Legend is the second-to-last difficulty and is the sweet spot for me in balancing challenge and being able to goof off.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Blurb3947 posted:

You level up 3-4 different classes per each character, each with their own skill tree, and you have a good amount of unique weapons per character which can be modified with modifiers and traits.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

to be super clear there are five characters with 3-4 classes each and while characters level up separately, all of a character's classes level simultaneously - getting to 35 with kruber means every one of his classes is 35, even if you only played mercenary

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Hey, they cut the install size for VT2 in last patch.

It's only 80 gigs now. :pseudo:

/edit: While I'm here, since we got an influx of new VT2 players and everyone who was already a fan is in the waiting for for Darktide, we went ahead and consolidated the threads in the new *Tide megathread.

If you got VT2 during the free grab or are just curious about it, please do drop by, we got a bunch of folks who are just getting started and we're always happy to get some runs in and help new players whack rats.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 9, 2022

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Is it weird to say I enjoyed VT1 more than VT2?

Mechanically, I just didn't like fighting the Chaos, and the grind wasn't my jam.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

telepath tactics remaster is finally on sale, for the first time since i wishlisted it and apparently for the first time ever. 25% off. has anyone played this game, anybody anywhere? recommended? i like the 'hooks' of the battlefield mechanics. does it play well with controller, mixed kbm + controller, steam deck? it's listed as playable on deck with tons of caveats. i tried playing the tutorial once before, but the controls were alllll kinds of hosed up probably because it was pirated

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Odd Wilson posted:

Is it weird to say I enjoyed VT1 more than VT2?

Mechanically, I just didn't like fighting the Chaos, and the grind wasn't my jam.

it's not weird. VT1 was less flashy but much better-designed without the constant bullshit, idiotic spawn dumps and inconsistent pacing from the sequel. I still got my money's worth out of VT2 without question but a lot of that time was spent frustrated with it or just seeing if patches had fixed anything instead of actually enjoying it, while VT1 was my default chillout game for more than a year, so even years after moving on it's still my fifth most played game on steam while VT2 isn't in the top 10.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

why would a demo be shown on steampowered.com but not in steam app or deck? i wouldn't have known this game has one except the dev's description said "play the demo first,, you might not like this game"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mescal posted:

why would a demo be shown on steampowered.com but not in steam app or deck? i wouldn't have known this game has one except the dev's description said "play the demo first,, you might not like this game"
yea this frustrates me. one thing that works is installing the demo on my pc, and then it'll show up as a streamable game on the deck, at which point i can force it to install locally

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

The 7th Guest posted:

yea this frustrates me. one thing that works is installing the demo on my pc, and then it'll show up as a streamable game on the deck, at which point i can force it to install locally

i'd heard it's a problem on deck, what surprised me is that i couldn't see it on Steam app on my pc

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Question: How much proper mystery solving does Sherlock Holmes: Chapter One have?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
https://twitter.com/valvesotfware/status/1590457238749003776?t=PIc6vPDxsJYcH4zSm2m9JQ&s=19

:stare:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Look at the handle.

In fact, PSA: Twitter is a hellscape of impersonation and pranks today because their amphetamine-amped CEO set the site up to sell the verified checkmark for $8. Trust nothing. It's like April Fool's on speed.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Lol gently caress

I didn't realize twitters paid verified thing was today. Owned

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Elon Musk's genius strikes again.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Anyone ever play a game with a But Thou Must dialogue option that sits SO poorly on a personal level that it made you drop the game then and there? Just had one of those about 8 minutes into Needy Streamer Overload, which shouldn't be surprising for a game like that I guess but I wasn't expecting it to crop up as a mandatory exchange before you've even made any of the branching decisions about whether to be supportive or manipulative.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

secretly best girl posted:

Look at the handle.

In fact, PSA: Twitter is a hellscape of impersonation and pranks today because their amphetamine-amped CEO set the site up to sell the verified checkmark for $8. Trust nothing. It's like April Fool's on speed.

Wait they actually implemented that already?

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Anyone ever play a game with a But Thou Must dialogue option that sits SO poorly on a personal level that it made you drop the game then and there? Just had one of those about 8 minutes into Needy Streamer Overload, which shouldn't be surprising for a game like that I guess but I wasn't expecting it to crop up as a mandatory exchange before you've even made any of the branching decisions about whether to be supportive or manipulative.

Yes, but I count it as speed running persona 5 in less than a minute

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Sab669 posted:

Wait they actually implemented that already?

it was going to be implemented sooner but they delayed it at the last minute until after the midterms after realising what a mess that would be

no they don't have a plan for what to do in the next election when anyone can get verified as joe biden for 8 dollars

they were going to add a second type of checkmark which is actually verified, partially rolled it out today, then elon changed his mind and killed the feature so we're back to one type of checkmark that anyone can just buy

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Oh man, I was given hope after all these years only for Musk to take it away.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

how did anyone ever pretend Elon Musk was cool lmao

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
in fairness this is the most entertaining twitter has been in some time

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

how did anyone ever pretend Elon Musk was cool lmao

He paid the TV shows they watched to say he was cool.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I feel like I have, but I genuinely don't remember what it was. :shrug:

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

ZearothK posted:

what the christfuck?

It probably has the least informative page in the entirety of Steam.

To clarify: I played through the game before all that stuff was implemented.
Wooden Ocean is both amazing and a masterclass of obnoxious auteur game design (see above).
On the simplest level it is a very typical turn-based JRPG. An open-world one to boot which you don't see much of in the genre. And not the 'oh let's no let you go there just yet you'll get in trouble' kind of open world. Or they 'things scale with you' kind of world. Nope. The 'Oh you just ran into enemies meant for a party 30 levels higher than your own, have fun.' (Which I absolutely love btw).
It is very mechanically dense but not overwhelmingly so (at least not before).
The plot...is batshit insane auteur stuff. It seems pretty normal at first. It is not normal for long.
It is very self-indulgent in points: some optional puzzles refer to things people would only know if they followed the game's development through the last 7(?) years.
It does some very player unfriendly things, like having the entire game be dark as gently caress with no brightness options. Even one so bad I had to restart a 20+ hour run (somehow me grousing about it reached the dev's ears and they must have been in a good mood because they changed it and credited me for the change in the game).
Overall Wooden Ocean is a land of contrasts.
Also it has a Triple Triad knockoff.
The game was not done when I played through it obviously. If I ever get the 'the main plot is complete' all clear I'm going back for seconds. But that will be awhile yet I'm sure.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 10, 2022

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

One of those Vampire text games did that for me. I felt like I knew what kind of character I wanted to be and the very beginning implied you could make your own person and then the writing forced me to be a certain way and it put me off.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

HopperUK posted:

One of those Vampire text games did that for me. I felt like I knew what kind of character I wanted to be and the very beginning implied you could make your own person and then the writing forced me to be a certain way and it put me off.

Everybody knows there's only two personality types : Renegade/Paragon (or Jedi/Sith, Open Palm/Closed Fist, etc)

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Everybody knows there's only two personality types : Renegade/Paragon (or Jedi/Sith, Open Palm/Closed Fist, etc)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

MonkeyforaHead posted:

The original ending to Fallout 3, where you were forced to step into the radiation chamber and kill yourself, even if you had a radiation-resistant companion with you.

Every now and then I still think back to this and laugh, although I guess it doesn't really meet your criteria since you're unlikely to drop the game right before the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

SirSamVimes posted:

Question: How much proper mystery solving does Sherlock Holmes: Chapter One have?

Depends on your definition of 'proper', really. :v:

It's one of those games where your solution is always correct because you are Sherlock Holmes; the choices you make just change how the subplots end, but nothing has any real impact on the main story, which is not related to all these weird little mysteries. You are here to try to remember your childhood and people keep insisting on committing murders near you. How rude!

That being said, there are a reasonable number of cases to get involved in and they do involve solving puzzles and finding clues and tracking footsteps and the like. They also involve the game's jank-rear end combat on occasion, which is kind of hilarious when it works properly and kind of frustrating all the time.

I did end up liking the game (although I still prefer Crimes & Punishments). I didn't buy any DLC, though, so I can't speak to how it changes things.