Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I have no idea how they decide what to feature in these things, I feel like all the good stuff was in the last 4 minutes. Give me more Wrestlequest!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

hatty posted:

Aw drat World of Horror

Only interesting thing this time. I hated Golf Story so not really interested in the sequel.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

American McGay posted:

Achievements are cool. Love to do things in video games.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
they sure did talk about a lot of games that will play better if you're high as hell

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Ragequit posted:

Hell yes, Sports Story this December
Finally! I was starting to think that was dead.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I guess rogue legacy 2 and inscryption are kinda neat but wow that was a stream of bad looking games. And the games that were decent announcements have been available in other platforms for a while now

Lotta games about mundane boring daily crap, I guess that's the current trend in indie games. "Here's a video game where you curate a stamp collection for your dying grandmother"

I guess that's indie showcases for you

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Of course the next recommended vidoo is Witch Silksong gameplay from 2019 :(

Anyway those games looked dope. Some are definitely my jam, some aren't, but had I infinite time I think I'd enjoy all of them.

Edit: y'all are negative as hell, drat

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Oh yeah sports story looks kind of neat too. But golf story was so long ago and meh. Prolly still get it though

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Morpheus posted:

Anyway those games looked dope. Some are definitely my jam, some aren't, but had I infinite time I think I'd enjoy all of them.

I forget the name but that one game looked like the open world/Stardew valley equivalent of a short hike.

I wanna play Pepper Grinder.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Mons Hubris posted:

I have no idea how they decide what to feature in these things, I feel like all the good stuff was in the last 4 minutes. Give me more Wrestlequest!
The sizzle reel is always the most exciting part. Maybe that's just the nature of a sizzle reel though. If they had a 6 minute sit-down where some baltic sounding devs slowly and painfully went over the grapple mechanic in Wrestlequest maybe we wouldn't be hype for it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

External Organs posted:

I forget the name but that one game looked like the open world/Stardew valley equivalent of a short hike.

I wanna play Pepper Grinder.

Aka (means red)? Yeah that's one I'm definitely going to keep my eye on

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

A lot of those games sure do look quirky.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Morpheus posted:

nintendo directs were a mistake

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Sorry y'all hate plants this stuff looks chill and good

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

KingSlime posted:

Lotta games about mundane boring daily crap, I guess that's the current trend in indie games. "Here's a video game where you curate a stamp collection for your dying grandmother"

I guess that's indie showcases for you

A lot of these come across as comfort or cozy games (this is not a complaint).

The trend likely stems from the fact that the world is a poo poo storm on a few levels right now, and these can literally be considered for a large number of people as therapeutic.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Upsidads posted:

Sorry y'all hate plants this stuff looks chill and good

Why play video game about plant when I can curate plant collection for my dying grandmother in real life

I get the appeal but yeah these games aren't up my alley personally. I like my games to be an escape from mundane real life stuff, though do enjoy some slice of life stuff in some games. Different strokes and all I suppose

That said even for the non slice of life, more traditional stuff they showed:

incorporeal posted:

A lot of those games sure do look quirky.

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 9, 2022

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’m a sucker for 2D action indie games so the Death game and Pepper Grinder are up my alley. Might pick up Rogue Legacy 2 when I get through my current game mountain

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Man I'd love to escape from daily poo poo by curating plants or serving coffee to people that aren't assholes or just walking around as a big red panda doin stuff.

Edit: Pepper Grinder might be something I look at but also I just really like the name

Esit2: all that said, 'quirky' or 'wacky' could stand to be used as a descriptor a whole lot less

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wonder how rogue legacy 2 will run? I guess we'll find out today.

Now to figure out whether I want it on switch or deck... Pretty annoying first world problem tbh. Better performance or gorgeous OLED? For a 2D game I'm thinking OLED barring any major fps or performance issues

As a bonus, the switch gets better battery life too

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

Morpheus posted:

Esit2: all that said, 'quirky' or 'wacky' could stand to be used as a descriptor a whole lot less

Oh definitely but I'm stupid so I don't know how to explain how these games look to me any better then that.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

that drill game seems pretty fun

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://twitter.com/ZoidCTF/status/1590012338421518337

This is super neat

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I want to play literally every game they showed!
What a great time for people who like small stories, cooking, plants and drilling 😉

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

pepper grinder looks rad. so does sports story. And a little to the left. Good direct overall.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Saw there was only 135 posts so that means that Silksong wasn't mentioned.

Venba looks compelling, but I'd never want to actually play it.

Have a Nice Death looks intense. Too intense.

Aka looks kind of neat, but I'd like to know what "point" it has because if it's just faff about I don't know. I'd consider it.

Pepper Grinder looks dope. I think I'd genuinely enjoy this one. What was that GBA game that seemed to have a similar premise?

Oni: Road to be the Mightiest Oni is like a mini-BotW? Looks like it.

Desta: The Memories Between looks really intriguing. Or it may be insufferable.

A Space for the Unbound looks sort of inspired.

Dordogne looks dull but it's gorgeous. Good on French devs I guess.

Rogue Legacy 2 I'd have to wonder if it's good? The original was really fun but it's been built upon by later games. I wouldn't be against it.

I'm glad A Little to the Left exists but I don't need that in my life.

Sports Story actually seems like it does too much. Maybe it's not for me ultimately.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

That Oni game needs to change it's title asap

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KingSlime posted:

Why play video game about plant when I can curate plant collection for my dying grandmother in real life

I get the appeal but yeah these games aren't up my alley personally. I like my games to be an escape from mundane real life stuff, though do enjoy some slice of life stuff in some games. Different strokes and all I suppose

That said even for the non slice of life, more traditional stuff they showed:

For many people things like 'owns my own house, or 'can spend time with relatives who haven't been rendered insane monsters by Fox News' is as real a fantasy as 'battle evil with a sword.'

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Full list for the curious:

Venba a narrative game about an Indian immigrant mom. You cook a bunch it seems.

Goodbye World I think it's another narrative game, with a retro puzzle platformer, that's the game the characters in-world, are making.

Have A Nice Death a rogue-like action game. It looks like HK with a touch of Hades, but not as good as that sounds.

Aka is a chill exploration game, that might be interesting with a bit of focus. But I'm not sure if it has any. You play an old red panda warrior.

Pepper Grinder is the best in show. It's a Drill Dozer clone, but with it's own flair and plenty of upgrades to keep you busy it seems. It looks legit awesome.

Coffee Talk Ep 2: Hibiscus and Butterfly is a narrative game, a sequel to the previous one.

Oni: Road to be the Mightiest Oni looks a lot like BotW for some reason but with worse everything. The combat looks not good.

Desta: The Memories Between Is a weird looking game. Half-narrative/Half Sports-puzzle with some weird mystic dodgeball. It's made by the Monument Valley people which is a good pedigree in my opnion.

A Space for the Unbound slice-of-life narrative game in 90's Indonesia with some supernatural stuff. Reminds me of Ringo Ishikawa, but either way it seems neat.

Dordogne is a narrative exploration game with gorgeous art direction, but it looks incredibly boring.

Botany Manor has you figuring out how to take care of plants. Call it a puzzle game.

Once Upon a Jester seems insufferably twee. Another narrative game maybe like Wandersong, but worse? The interview said they used first takes a bunch which, I don't know, seems like a bad idea to me.

Rogue Legacy 2 sequel to the really good first one. Could be fun.

Blanc stylish monochrome narrative puzzle game. Loks pretty. It's co-op.

These next ones go by fast:

WrestleQuest- no idea, but some wrestling rpg thing?

Wobbledogs Console Edition you raise some weird virtual dogs?

Storyteller puzzle game where you make hopefully not tropey stories.

World of Horror some sort of adventure game? Looks "creepy".

Curse of the Sea Rats Action-Platformer I guess.

Inscryption a sort of deck game? Beats me.

A Little to the Left a chill puzzle game for the incurably tidy.

Sports Story in December. Is it the heir to the GBC Mario Tennis RPG or just a smorgasbord of too much?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

incorporeal posted:

Oh definitely but I'm stupid so I don't know how to explain how these games look to me any better then that.

No worries I was referring to the descriptors that games give themselves, or how they're marketed.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Inscryption is good

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Rogue Legacy 2 I'd have to wonder if it's good? The original was really fun but it's been built upon by later games. I wouldn't be against it.

it's basically rogue legacy 1 but everything is way better, i didn't expect to enjoy it as much as i did but it feels really good to play.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
world of horror looks sick, glad it's making it off pc

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Inscryption is good

i can't remember if it was here or a steam review but someone summed it up as it's not reeeeally a deckbuilding roguelite game, but if you like those kind of games, you will love inscryption.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Foul Fowl posted:

i can't remember if it was here or a steam review but someone summed it up as it's not reeeeally a deckbuilding roguelite game, but if you like those kind of games, you will love inscryption.

Conversely if you don't like that genre then it's probably going to be hard to force yourself through the game to see the meta stuff.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ngl I was totally on board with Have a Nice Death and then my heart sank when they said “roguelike”. The genre is way over saturated, please just give me a normal series of levels that lead to an ending.

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 9, 2022

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Inscryption is interesting but that’s about the only thing it’s got going for it.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Fine, I'll be the only one excited for "cel-shaded Cooking Mama with Indian food". :colbert:

Morpheus posted:

Aka (means red)? Yeah that's one I'm definitely going to keep my eye on

:same:...Space for the Unbound as well.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Foul Fowl posted:

They added a DLC that's just the deckbuilding part, where you run through the stage with different decks and challenges. I think.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Looper posted:

world of horror looks sick, glad it's making it off pc

It's great on Steam Deck, so should be fun on Switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Man, after being on the deck for a few weeks I got to say these joycons are feeling pretty horrible...

Anyways, just picked up rogue legacy 2 and I'll give a trip report later tonight. The devs commented on Reddit that it runs great so I think OLED was the right call, grubby controllers aside