Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Conspiratiorist posted:

al-saqr believes russia should lose but his trusted reference for how the war is going is this thread, which is consistently highly skeptical of russian setbacks to the point of painting a picture of inevitable ukrainian collapse

yet here we are

everyone's trusted reference for how the war is going is pretty bullshit tbh. this thread just curates a slightly different set of morons on twitter than all the other threads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

thatfatkid posted:

Hes been anti russia ever since they intervened in syria and prevented it becoming libya 2.0. Hes a oval office

sorry your pet dictator got insulted, shithead

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

speng31b posted:

everyone's trusted reference for how the war is going is pretty bullshit tbh. this thread just curates a slightly different set of morons on twitter than all the other threads

I base it on Brigade boxes per hundred km2.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ukraine already collapsed depending on how you define it.

Ukraine as a country certainly doesn't exist anymore.

Edit: I guess maybe saying that it doesn't exist as state anymore is better?

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 19:57 on Nov 9, 2022

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Lostconfused posted:

Ukraine already collapsed depending on how you define it.

Ukraine as a country certainly doesn't exist anymore.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

speaking of morons on twitter, rwa is having a pretty funny meltdown. i cant tell if he believes that russians are actually doing a trick with the kherson retreat or just thinks it's funny that the ukrainians are so skeptical of it

https://twitter.com/RWApodcast/status/1590413821193379840

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

It’s harebrained in the extreme. We had war plans to fight our way into Quebec to protect the Anglos in the 70’s, and then allegedly plans to storm the bases during the referendums, the UK had plans to invade the Irish Republic should the IRA overwhelm them in the 80’s, and here’s Russia puttering around.

If it turns out that we’re the bloodthirsty horde without regard for human life it will be funny, if nothing else.

this is why i dont believe any of the stuff about nato expansionism being the cause of the war anymore tbh

If this was actually an existential struggle for russia where they thought NATO was knocking on the door and gonna try to make russia effectively another american satellite state. . . And this is their response? Half assed invasion, slow grinding battle in donbass going nowhere, then end up abandoning hundreds of thousands of people to supposedly genocidal nazi maniacs? The second major retreat and loss of land in just a couple of months? If this war was actually existential then they would have mobilized before the invasion. They didnt, because they dont even believe it.

More likely to me that russia just wanted more of their own satellite states and thought ukraine would be easy pickings after 2014

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I don’t know if Ukraine has collapsed but it has taken some pretty savage hits to its economy and infrastructure. It is a “no one wins” situation well except Turkey and China.

OctaMurk posted:

this is why i dont believe any of the stuff about nato expansionism being the cause of the war anymore tbh

If this was actually an existential struggle for russia where they thought NATO was knocking on the door and gonna try to make russia effectively another american satellite state. . . And this is their response? Half assed invasion, slow grinding battle in donbass going nowhere, then end up abandoning hundreds of thousands of people to supposedly genocidal nazi maniacs? The second major retreat and loss of land in just a couple of months? If this war was actually existential then they would have mobilized before the invasion. They didnt, because they dont even believe it.

More likely to me that russia just wanted more of their own satellite states and thought ukraine would be easy pickings after 2014

I wouldn’t say that is evidence, it is just that they are absolutely terrible at their job. There was already heightened rhetoric around NATO membership before this and the West was upping arms shipments.

Also, the big back and forth over Minsk 2 was if the republics could veto membership or not.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 20:05 on Nov 9, 2022

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

speng31b posted:

speaking of morons on twitter, rwa is having a pretty funny meltdown. i cant tell if he believes that russians are actually doing a trick with the kherson retreat or just thinks it's funny that the ukrainians are so skeptical of it

https://twitter.com/RWApodcast/status/1590413821193379840

I am not seeing any of what you implied from the tweet. Ukrainian officials have been saying that line for several days now.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Lostconfused posted:

Not wrong, but those are our nazi collaborators, and we'll probably welcome any new ones that want to come over.

#girlboss

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Ukraine is being powered by the iron lung of US taxpayer money and will continue to be so until the foreseeable future

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

I am not seeing any of what you implied from the tweet. Ukrainian officials have been saying that line for several days now.

rwa's been going on since the news of the retreat and started reposting recent ukrainian statements (from today, since the move was officially announced) denying it's real. i'm speculating about rwa's feelings, not the ukrainian officials

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Not So Fast posted:

Ukraine is being powered by the iron lung of US taxpayer money and will continue to be so until the foreseeable future

It is mostly supported by QE and printing money. The economic side for Ukraine is actually going quite poorly, it is just the Russians are losing territory faster than the Ukrainians are falling apart on the fiscal/economic side.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

speng31b posted:

rwa's been going on since the news of the retreat and started reposting recent ukrainian statements (from today, since the move was officially announced) denying it's real. i'm speculating about rwa's feelings, not the ukrainian officials

Everyone is posting those statements on twitter as far as I can tell.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

thatfatkid posted:

RIP to the school and kindergarten teachers of kherson.

Also al saqr, please shut the gently caress up. You dont get to makes every possible prediction and then act smug when something happens. Youre so loving tedious

hey man, no need to get mad, let’s focus on Ukraine news, we are here to discuss current events in a healthy manner and we’re fortunate that this subforum allows a wide variety of views. I consistently predicted since June the Russians were on the road to a defeat and have stalled completely, you decided to hold on to the ping pong meme because of the wild swings of the first few months. I’m allowed to change how I view events based on what’s happening. but really, my gut told me since June this was the outcome, this view faltered somewhat when the reserves were called up, but it’s clear that the Russian government today can’t deliver even with the added troops.

also please don’t pretend to be mad about schoolchildren and teachers considering your previous stances on those people when they were victims of Russia. learn a little bit of self-reflection and realize war is terrible for all civilians.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

Everyone is posting those statements on twitter as far as I can tell.

rwa as a source is just funnier to me because he's a monarchist psycho who has complex feelings about russia's military in all of this. guessing what he thinks about things is amusing

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Frosted Flake posted:

If it turns out that we’re the bloodthirsty horde without regard for human life it will be funny, if nothing else.

what do you mean "if"!!!!

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

thinktanks coming up with a complicated series of mathematical proofs that lead to the same solution: only girl hitler can defeat neo-communist russia

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Al-Saqr thought undefeated.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
lol it's funny how the Russians are so cowardly that not even the Ukrainians with their "Russians are degenerate mongrel people who can't stand and fight against real men" propaganda can't believe it

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

I cross dressed in my girlfriends skirts to be girl hitler for halloween and I love cryptofascism ama DoD seeking consultant buxxx

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

edit wrong thread

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

When blood and treasure are being spilled you would expect some commitment from politicians. This kind of prevaricating probably doesn’t help negotiations, even if that’s their plan to end the war. I could imagine a decision making sequence like:

- US says no negotiation until Kherson is in Ukrainian hands

- Russia anticipates US and EU support fades after that result

- Russia (correctly) anticipates Ukrainian state would collapse without US and EU support

- Russia declines battle, weighing military and civilian casualties against anticipated terms of ceasefire

- US and EU force Ukraine to accept ceasefire, and Ukraine has to acquiesce or collapse

- ???

but those are all political calculations and if any of them were wrong, particularly if US aid continues and Ukraine remains in the war, now on the other side of the Dnieper, Russia would have to pay a higher price to retake what they lost than if they had fought for it.

Using your military as a diplomatic tool, imo, is demoralizing. It makes any military action feel irrelevant and doesn’t inspire belief that sacrifices are worth it since they may be negotiated away or were only done as some ill-conceived chess move.

It’s better to negotiate in light of the battlefield than manage the battlefield in the hopes of achieving negotiations and the mirage of a favourable settled result has evaded Russia since they first closed on Kiev. If the lesson of Georgia was “don’t negotiate if you can fight for the capital”, this is naivety in the extreme.

But, you get a whole political class of people who made it through the 90’s by playing these games and I can see them being unable to just act for the sake of acting and not as some sort of diplomatic signal.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

the question is, are these orc units Routed or Shattered

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

the general theme of productive forces receding behind national boundaries is the consolidation of local power in the system by catabolism of absolute system power. as a whole, each directly involved capitalist polity has become weaker in absolute terms via destruction of capital and depletion of military forces. at the same time, the western bourgeoisie wins because ukraine's national assets and the ukrainian working class have been sold to finance the defense. the russian ruling class wins because it has nationalized industries and grown fat on energy crisis money. the ukrainian ruling class wins because they are gorging themselves on nato money and weapons. absolute losers are the larger system of Capital and the working classes writ large, the relative winners are the uninvolved. imo there are no absolute winners except China.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Calibanibal posted:

the question is, are these orc units Routed or Shattered

they are conscripts and therefore part of the WAAAGH! army.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
main three winners of this war:-

1- Turkey, they walked the tightrope so well they’re gonna get mad money from both Ukraine and Russia and also their defense and weapons industry exploded in growth, also they’re getting Finland and Sweden to give up their Kurds.

2- China, China now has Russia wrapped around its fingers and putin is now the weaker junior partner, China now has a giant mineral mine and gas country as a permanent vassal.

3- the gulf states and Saudi Arabia, gas, oil, etc. MBS managed to get legitimized by America while screwing them over, managed to develop genuine partnerships with Russia, is gonna be throwing a huge party for Xi Jinping in December.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

I guess they're just gonna dig in at the south end of the antonovskiy bridge and nova kakhova?

dk2m
May 6, 2009
haven’t read through everything yet but is it confirmed now that Russia has given up Kherson?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Who the hell knows, I am already reading someone getting ready for another siege of Sevastopol.

dk2m posted:

haven’t read through everything yet but is it confirmed now that Russia has given up Kherson?

As far as Russians are concerned yes.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

euphronius posted:

I mean a lot of these arguments are asking me to posit that Russia is as bad as America and nato and idk about that

yeah, one of these parties is the direct inheritor of the Third Reich in literally every way and the cause of more daily global immiseration than would even be conceivable a century ago and the other one is Russia

speng31b
May 8, 2010

dk2m posted:

it's confirmed by the russians themselves, but there are still doubters

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

dk2m posted:

Russia is saying they are, Ukraine is saying "lmao prove it", and I haven't seen anything reported other than that.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

To be clear, it will likely happen. If Russia really is doing a feigned retreat, the damage that they're doing to morale by announcing it as they are cannot possibly be made back up by whatever losses they could then inflict. That Ukraine isn't taking the bait, if it is indeed a feigned retreat, makes it a much worse blunder if it is some kind of ploy.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
absolutely lol, lmao, etc.

what a stupid rear end war

speng31b
May 8, 2010

i think it probably has more to do with orchestrating the retreat itself and whether ukraine gets to claim an extra big W by blowing up the russians as they get back over to the east bank

ukraine doesnt just want to say "ok, the russians retreated" they want to say "we drove them out, great victory".

e;

in other words, "we shelled a strategically retreating force" is not nearly as heroic as "those lying russians dug in, and feigned a retreat, but we liberated the city at last"

speng31b has issued a correction as of 20:50 on Nov 9, 2022

dk2m
May 6, 2009

quote:

⚔️🇷🇺🇺🇦 Russian Media Confirms Order for Withdrawal from Kherson City of Russian Troops...

If this actually happens, it means the last possible victory for Ukrainian forces (in terms of overwhelming, trapping, destroying and/or capturing huge numbers of Russian troops and equipment) is eliminated.

It will be a major political blow for Russia - a major boost for Ukraine and its Western allies in terms of propaganda.

At the same time, Ukrainian infrastructure continues to disappear, its air defenses are dwindling (and aren't effective against new Geran-2 drones anyway), and Russia still may inflict heavy losses on Ukrainian forces approaching Kherson city.

Russia will have again preserved its manpower and equipment while Ukraine is forced to stretch out and expose its forces further at a time they are unable to replace both trained manpower and heavy weapons.

Any attempt by Ukrainian forces to cross the Dnieper River will lead to catastrophic losses. Failure to cross over means ultimately Ukraine's objective of taking back all territory considered Ukrainian by Kiev will remain unfulfilled.

Patience will be required to see how this actually unfolds vs. how emotionally and politically charged commentary claims it will unfold...

quote:

🇷🇺 The owner of PMC "Wagner" Prigozhin, who previously criticized the command of the Russian army for retreating from Liman, today supported the decision to leave Kherson.

“The decision to withdraw troops from the right bank of the Dnieper is not an easy one, but it speaks of the readiness of the command to take responsibility for the lives of soldiers. The withdrawal of troops with minimal losses is Surovikin’s achievement, which does not do honor to Russian weapons, but emphasizes the personal qualities of the commander, who acted like a man who is not afraid of responsibility, ”said Prigozhin.

quote:

Kherson is a very difficult area without the possibility of a stable regular supply of ammunition and the formation of a strong, reliable rear. In this difficult situation, the general acted wisely and far-sightedly - he evacuated the civilian population and ordered a regrouping.
there is no need to talk about the "surrender" of Kherson. "Surrender" together with the fighters. Surovikin protects the soldier and takes a more advantageous strategic position - convenient, safe. Everyone knew from the very first days of the special operation that Kherson was a difficult combat territory. The soldiers of my units also reported that it was very difficult to fight in this area. Yes, it can be kept, it is possible to organize at least some supply of ammunition, but the cost will be numerous human lives.
I believe that Surovikin acted like a real military general, not afraid of criticism. Thank you, Vladimirovich, for taking care of the guys! And we will not stop hitting the enemy and we will not get tired.

-Kadyrov

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
Wow russia preserved its manpower again. Inspiring stuff. Just W after W

Alpha 1
Feb 17, 2012
My takeaway from this debacle is that neoliberal austerity states are incapable of fighting full-scale industrial wars. It doesn't matter what resources they have on paper, because they don't have the capacity mobilize their societies for the fight or demand sacrifices from their people. As soon as Russia crossed the border, it was in the final battle to the death with NATO. Russia needed to mobilize in a way it hasn't mobilized since WW2, but these limitations forced it to fight the way America fought Iraq, with similar results.

Outside of Ukraine, this bodes poorly for America's plan to fight China over Taiwan. I doubt America's leadership can see how much their country has in common with Russia though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Shogi posted:

Wow russia preserved its manpower again. Inspiring stuff. Just W after W

being a Russian nationalist today has got be the most embarrassing thing in the world