Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

It should be. I've never had to enter keys on subsequent installs on either of my past two rigs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

icantfindaname posted:

It's a machine I built like 10 years ago, it doesn't have TPM so can't run windows 11

Just use Rufus to remove the TPM requirement for Windows 11. I have a 2012/13 laptop that runs Windows 11 just fine.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone had the Game Bar just stop showing FPS at some point? No amount of re-launching the games or the game bar seems to fix it. It just says "Loading..." when in-game and never shows it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've never used it for that, but GFE has that function as well. I think they're getting better at it, but MS Store apps just never properly update, so check the store and make sure its up to date.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Turns out the ISO I was using was bad, or something? I downloaded and made a new one and it installed fine

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How long do the bi-annual updates usually take to roll out completely? I'm interested in the tabbed File Explorer, but I don't care enough to go through whatever steps (however minimal) to manually snag the update, beyond mashing the "Check for updates" button in the update dialog.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Thanks Ants posted:

If it's a self-built PC then the license won't be stored in the firmware

I bought a Ryzen combo second-hand and Windows activated itself.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

~Coxy posted:

I bought a Ryzen combo second-hand and Windows activated itself.

I think the hardware profile is stored MS-side now.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

I think the hardware profile is stored MS-side now.

I'm pretty sure it's a hash of the hardware signature, which is why changing enough components can trigger Windows wanting to reactivate.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I don't know how they decide it or if there's a way of seeing how many spare licenses you have, because I wiped an old work laptop and after logging into my personal MS account it immediately activated.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

How do you edit logged in users' path in windows 11? Edit system enviroment variables prompts me for an admin password. Won't let me continue otherwise.

It displays me only user variables for the admin account.

How can I edit the path for my regular user account?

echo %path% in terminal shows a bunch of poo poo already in path, how do I add in more folders?

Edit: LEGACY control panel -> user accounts -> change *my* enviroment variables. Great design again there Microsoft, thanks.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 8, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I've been using the Windows Mail app on my desktop/laptop and Outlook on my phone, and after having multiple issues with people not seeing images I'm attaching to emails it seems like something with Microsoft's attachment handling system is straight up busted (again). Has anyone else seen this kind of issue? I switched back to the iOS app on my phone and I guess I'll have to find a replacement for the PCs because I can't stand web apps.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Tiny Timbs posted:

I've been using the Windows Mail app on my desktop/laptop and Outlook on my phone, and after having multiple issues with people not seeing images I'm attaching to emails it seems like something with Microsoft's attachment handling system is straight up busted (again). Has anyone else seen this kind of issue? I switched back to the iOS app on my phone and I guess I'll have to find a replacement for the PCs because I can't stand web apps.

I’ve had issues with outlook on macOS not attaching files properly when sending from a gmail account. Not sure if that might be related but outlook definitely has had issues with attachments in the past

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

beuges posted:

I’ve had issues with outlook on macOS not attaching files properly when sending from a gmail account. Not sure if that might be related but outlook definitely has had issues with attachments in the past

I can't remember if I posted about it here but I had an issue with Windows Mail not showing attachments that became a real issue when I was missing stuff for my master's program.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/11/the-sign-in-menu-is-the-latest-frontier-for-microsoft-ads-in-windows-11/

lmao, they really won't leave you alone will they. I just updated to whatever was the latest public version a few days ago and it's not there yet.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I moved from W10 to W11 a few days ago and yeah, it really pushes OneDrive during the installation.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oooh one thing they finally fixed is a gesture to bring up the quick settings, you have to swipe from the bottom-right edge. I still don't know why it's not just part if the notification popup, and doing the three-finger swipe for the task list still sucks. It'd be nice if this was configurable, but I guess in this brave new world it's our way or the highway.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Just installed win11! Is it worthwhile to run one of these debloaters? Just trying to get rid tracking and things like teams.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
No

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Harminoff posted:

Just installed win11! Is it worthwhile to run one of these debloaters? Just trying to get rid tracking and things like teams.

Only if you really care about that stuff. I don't think I've seen any concrete evidence of performance improvements from any of them, and some of them might even break poo poo.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I think I've used this one on my Win 10 tablet and it didn't break anything and got rid of some stupid ads and what not. Looks like it hasn't been updated in two years though: https://github.com/Sycnex/Windows10Debloater

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

First rule, always clean install Windows using media creation tool

Rule #2, assuming you followed rule #1, you dont need to do anything further to furnish your new install besides install the programs you use. You dont need any supplementary antivirus, tune up, de-bloat, optimizer, registry cleaner etc, its all horse poo poo. Just put ublock origin on your browser, unless there's a newer, better alternative I'm unaware of.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Just built a new computer and installed Windows 11, everything works fine until I plug in the drives from my old computer and then Windows won't boot. I have the boot priority correct in the BIOS but I think Windows is still trying to boot off of the old drive, is there a way to prevent this behavior?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You need to adjust your boot priority, in the BIOS. A lot of newer boards will let you specify from within the BIOS which drive you want to boot to in that instance.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
The boot priority is correct and I have tried overriding it and selecting the proper boot drive, windows still tries to boot off of the old incorrect drive. It won’t even let me boot off the USB installation media with the old drive connected

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
One thing to check is if you have UEFI+Legacy boot enabled, and if so switch to UEFI only. At this point old style booting is only negatives and trouble.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

codo27 posted:

Rule #2, assuming you followed rule #1, you dont need to do anything further to furnish your new install besides install the programs you use. You dont need any supplementary antivirus, tune up, de-bloat, optimizer, registry cleaner etc, its all horse poo poo. Just put ublock origin on your browser, unless there's a newer, better alternative I'm unaware of.

I don't know if it got better recently since I haven't installed Win11 from scratch but it used to shove Candy Crush and other shovelware into your face pretty aggressively so it was pretty helpful in getting rid of that crap at least. My current laptop came with Minecraft that I can't actually play without an educational account and Power BI lol.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

codo27 posted:

You can even skip the adblocker tbh. Modern ads on modern sites (the kind you would want to visit anyway) are not that obtrusive.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

I don't know if it got better recently since I haven't installed Win11 from scratch but it used to shove Candy Crush and other shovelware into your face pretty aggressively so it was pretty helpful in getting rid of that crap at least. My current laptop came with Minecraft that I can't actually play without an educational account and Power BI lol.

C'mon now. It was a bit sad the way it appeared in the start menu in stock 10, but if its even there in 11 its just a small icon, I'm not sure it actually even comes preinstalled. Certainly nothing aggressive about it.

Also, the adblocker might not be a necessity for you and me, but its absolutely imperative for your average joe who is going to be swamped with junk without it. You know what, I'd still say its a necessity for the more learned, its just not worth being without.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Pvt. Parts posted:

You can even skip the adblocker tbh. Modern ads on modern sites (the kind you would want to visit anyway) are not that obtrusive.

I didn't know ads could post, this is very concerning.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

tofes posted:

The boot priority is correct and I have tried overriding it and selecting the proper boot drive, windows still tries to boot off of the old incorrect drive. It won’t even let me boot off the USB installation media with the old drive connected

Will Windows boot off your old drive? Like Kylith said, check your BIOS settings, but you might also need to fix the Windows bootloader - it is way more finicky than comparable systems like GRUB for Linux.

The tool I've used for this in the past is EasyBCD, but it's not something I've had to do a lot and others may have better suggestions.

https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Pvt. Parts posted:

what the gently caress

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Blue Footed Booby posted:

what the gently caress

We have a spy among us.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If there's one thing I associate with the modern internet, it's a lack of annoying ads, and not being told about cookies on literally every single website too!

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
You can remove candy crush and the dozen or so other things with certain PowerShell commands.

I tried debloater stuff years ago and it just seems to cause problems later down the road.

Windows is finally more or less okay without tweaking as of like 4 years ago or so, but if you have privacy concerns or whatever just watch your install options like a hawk.

I used local accounts for years and I finally caved and it was pretty nice having everything I care about remembered and saved in the cloud or whatever and the install being done when it's done.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Pvt. Parts posted:

lol, no. The number of times even legit ad networks have been compromised and served malware is enough for me to always block. I pay for the sites I actually want to use if they give me the option.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I use AdGuard for mobile and their DNS in combination with a pi-hole or firewalla box.

I don't need something that hardcore generally, but I'm proud I haven't seen an ad on a device I control in decades. Also I like tinkering in Linux sometimes.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Windows is finally more or less okay without tweaking as of like 4 years ago or so, but if you have privacy concerns or whatever just watch your install options like a hawk.

Yeah, I'ma have to hard disagree with you here.

My GPO config is non trivial, and my powershell, 'get rid of all the trash' script has only grown, and this is for W10. I'd imagine the additions I'll need to make for W11 are non trivial.

Getting rid of the ads, Cortana, forced updates, alerts about forced updates, the tracking (as much as you can) more ads in the start menu, more ads on the lock screen, more ads in explorer, various OneDrive Nudges, and the list goes on... It's a lot of work to get an OS that gets out of your way.

And after all that, you then get to add a bunch of stuff to make poo poo like the Start Menu functional, because Windows has fully embraced touch-first design.

No, Windows used to provide a good user experience out of the box, but has become increasingly lovely about that aspect since Windows 8. I would truthfully pay MS a premium for a 'no bullshit' SKU - I mean, that's why I've historically had a Pro license, but you can't even do that any more.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 15, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've been maintaining Windows endpoints professionally for 20 years. I don't do anything to my personal Windows 11 installs other than install them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
Removing most of the stuff you see in the Start Menu is as simple as Right-Click - Uninstall. It takes me maybe 30 seconds to go through the list of whatever has been rolled in now. No need for a Powershell script.

I just did a fresh Win11 install here maybe a month ago, and it honestly wasn't that much. I don't get anything about OneDrive either. I did have to use a Microsoft Account, but I had one from beta testing 11 or 10, and it worked fine.

As to adblocker, uBlock Origin will prevent commercials on Youtube and Peacock from ever starting. You still get whatever sponsor spot the youtuber themselves put in, but no in-video ads at all. It's made it so I HATE trying to watch anything on my TV on the Roku.