Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lol this explains quite a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
lol at just careening from one cult to another to another

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

that's just sad. poor bastard needs to gtfo immediately

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
i've met more than one person who got out of a cult but clearly never repaired some of the damage it did them

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

raminasi posted:

i've met more than one person who got out of a cult but clearly never repaired some of the damage it did them

Hi

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/09/technology/twitter-payments-business.html

musk's bringing back THE EVERYTHING APP

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

its not a tesla but this guy in a lucid air (the ceo made the model s for tesla) stopped in the middle of the road to take a phone call forcing me to go around him

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

her husband is a crypto bro with an nft avatar
https://twitter.com/bobcowherd

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Nfcknblvbl posted:

its not a tesla but this guy in a lucid air (the ceo made the model s for tesla) stopped in the middle of the road to take a phone call forcing me to go around him

But you didn't right? Since that is a double yellow?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Xakura posted:

But you didn't right? Since that is a double yellow?

i waited a good while before going around. that guy refused to go, waving at me to do so like some entitled poo poo

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

quote:

But Twitter lacks sophisticated payments systems, which could generate revenue for the company if Mr. Musk can build them and convince people to use them. The billionaire faces pressure to deliver immediate results at Twitter because he took out $13 billion in loans to finance the deal, which will require the company to pay more than $1 billion in interest annually.

I want to know what magic makes twitter on the hook for $1b annually and not, you know, elon musk who took out the loan.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Nfcknblvbl posted:

:ok:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Nfcknblvbl posted:

i waited a good while before going around. that guy refused to go, waving at me to do so like some entitled poo poo

did you lay on the horn

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

RokosCockatrice posted:

I want to know what magic makes twitter on the hook for $1b annually and not, you know, elon musk who took out the loan.

the company took out the loan?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol she doesn't have a checkmark either

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

RokosCockatrice posted:

i'm pretty sure that "elon musk borrowed $13b" is just reporting shorthand for "elon musk formed a shell company that borrowed $13b"

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

RokosCockatrice posted:

The previous owners had a "fiduciary duty" to accept such a high buyout offer, even though the transaction was only possible by creating debt held by the company.

It seems pretty broken that the financial system allows this kind of disaster to go through. Like why can't I just make an offer to buy Lockheed Martin for $1 trillion dollars (funded by the company taking on $850 billion of debt), and then as new CEO I get to launch missiles at anybody I don't like.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

RokosCockatrice posted:

the magic is called a "leveraged buyout" and it is the most absolute bullshit thing in the corporate raider playbook

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Wonder if Elon is doing the same nightmare poo poo he does in Tesla like wiretapping workers' phones, having critics followed by PIs etc. He's such an absolute fuckman, you couldn't work for a worse person

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
Elon has a holding company that took the loan and collateralized it with his assets (Tesla shares)

Phssthpok posted:

The previous owners had a "fiduciary duty" to accept such a high buyout offer, even though the transaction was only possible by creating debt held by the company.

It seems pretty broken that the financial system allows this kind of disaster to go through. Like why can't I just make an offer to buy Lockheed Martin for $1 trillion dollars (funded by the company taking on $850 billion of debt), and then as new CEO I get to launch missiles at anybody I don't like.

you might be able to if you have 4-10x in assets to put up as collateral

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

you should have laid on the horn and/or honked it in time with the music you were listening to until he moved. don't let assholes get away with being assholes.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

my favorite car brain thing I saw was a double parked guy who did the "go around" wave to a streetcar

fortunately they have like 115db horns to scare the crap out of those people

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

qirex posted:

my favorite car brain thing I saw was a double parked guy who did the "go around" wave to a streetcar

fortunately they have like 115db horns to scare the crap out of those people

hahahahahahaha

Chill Monster
Apr 23, 2014

raminasi posted:

i'm pretty sure that "elon musk borrowed $13b" is just reporting shorthand for "elon musk formed a shell company that borrowed $13b"

I am fairly sure that since Musk used Tesla stock as collateral for the loan, he would be on the hook if Twitter defaults on that loan, though I could be wrong.

The secret ingredient that makes this whole rich-man idiot-rear end hubris bonfire so lmao is that even if Musk magically figured out how to make twitter profitable, the company has been saddled with so much debt from the buy-out and lawsuit against Musk that the debt service payments would still break Twitter's back

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

you should have laid on the horn and/or honked it in time with the music you were listening to until he moved. don't let assholes get away with being assholes.

honestly the best part of driving is honking at someone who deserves it. getting to destinations is fine but not as satisfying

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Chill Monster posted:

I am fairly sure that since Musk used Tesla stock as collateral for the loan, he would be on the hook if Twitter defaults on that loan, though I could be wrong.

there are two separate loans.

the 13bn is the leveraged buyout thing, that debt is with twitter and musk isn't personally on the hook for it.

as well as that, he borrowed money against his shares to help supply the rest of the 44bn price, and he is on the hook for that.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

There were three buckets of funding for the acquisition: The loans to post-acquisition Twitter, the laons to Elon personally and collateralized by Tesla stock, and cash from Elon (and friends) directly.

Like a month after the offer was signed he said oh nevermind to the TSLA collateralized loans and just put up the money himself (presumably by dumping a bunch of TSLA stock)

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Qwertycoatl posted:

the 13bn is the leveraged buyout thing, that debt is with twitter and musk isn't personally on the hook for it.

he's not personally on the hook for it in the same way that you're not personally on the hook for your mortgage. if you default, the bank can seize your house. twitter can't make its debt payments, morgan stanley might end up owning it and elon is out the other ~30 billion he paid.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Qwertycoatl posted:

as well as that, he borrowed money against his shares to help supply the rest of the 44bn price, and he is on the hook for that.

He isn't on the hook for it directly, but the only way musk makes any of the 44bn back is if twitter starts making money (lol) or he sells it to someone else (lmao), and twitter being in crippling debt doesn't help either of those things.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lol

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

don't worry folks we have a solution to the twitter cash crisis

https://twitter.com/alibreland/status/1590411665128198145?s=20&t=ld6Ytgon-hJvQ3upoRHXxw

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

full self depreciating

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

When all else fails, make a bank?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Zamujasa posted:

full self depreciating

full self dealing

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

i know a guy who bet his whole retirement on tesla stock

he's currently 74

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

ah yes, the Do Kwon plan. i'm sure that'll work out as well as it did last time

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

hahahaha do it you stupid gently caress, do it

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

raminasi posted:

No, as others have noted, the debt is owned by Twitter. This is just how leveraged buyouts work -- the debt used to buy the company goes on the company's books.

Twitter wasn't even profitable before Musk added $1B/year in interest payments to its balance sheet. And he's killed a large portion of revenue by alienating advertisers.

But on the flipside, Twitter's annual expenses are "only" $6B or so. If Musk wanted to, he could keep propping it up for years before it would make much of a dent in his net worth.

Which, now that I think of it, is probably what will happen, at least until he gets bored or the platform is effectively emptied of users. It takes him years to admit he was wrong about something (e.g. solar rooves), if he can at all.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

lol at a paypal mafia og proposing something that paypal did and backpedaled on hard

is he snorting meth or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

sounds like something someone with weird balls would do