Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Jimmy Saville and Gary Glitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
It’s Jimmy Saville and Gary Glitter, not sure if the third guy is anyone.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Scaramouche posted:

You'd think if a band was going to franchise like that it'd have been KISS

On the flip side, I don't think anyone in KISS is humble enough to retire gracefully

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I saw Weird Al a few months ago and wondered why he was sitting through the whole show until I remembered the dude is in his sixties.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I was thinking the guy on the right was younger, thinner Graham Linehan.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

grittyreboot posted:

I saw Weird Al a few months ago and wondered why he was sitting through the whole show until I remembered the dude is in his sixties.

Well that and it's his acoustic vanity tour, and acoustic sets are often played sitting, ala MTV's Unplugged.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

It wasn't acoustic tho

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

grittyreboot posted:

On the flip side, I don't think anyone in KISS is humble enough to retire gracefully

Well, Gene's not.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I was off work sick this week, and replayed vidja game classic Bioshock Infinite. Hoo boy.

I did not remember the political commentary being that shallow and reductive. I have defended this game in the past, but I was wrong to do so -- it really is the most hamhanded centrist bullshit.

I had to put the controller down for a minute when the grizzled Serious Man Protagonist and Wise Waifu agreed that the fantasy KKK and fantasy resistance are equally evil. loving hell, the game's themes must have been crusty milk when it came out in 2013, and every successive year has made the messages worse.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Still amazing that given the opportunity to retcon one of the worst scenes in the base game via the DLC, Levine bungled it to the point of making it even worse.

I do think people often miss the forest for the trees with Infinite (ie, literally everything is Booker's fault with the only solution being to erase that wretched gently caress from history entirely) but the game revels in it's provactiveness in an unpleasant way and it makes its points so clumsily that I couldn't blame 'em.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 08:59 on Nov 9, 2022

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I went and looked it up on the wiki, and Jesus:

quote:

Upon Elizabeth's return to Columbia, she witnesses a meeting between Fitzroy and the Lutece twins just minutes before the revolutionary's death. At this point, Fitzroy has captured Fink and his son. The Luteces explain to Fitzroy that it's crucial for Elizabeth to become a woman and gain the strength to kill Comstock. In order for this to happen, Fitzroy needs to force Elizabeth into the proper mindset. At first Fitzroy refuses to harm Fink's son, saying that, although she wants to see Fink and Comstock fall, the sins of the father should not be taken out on the boy. The Luteces hint that she doesn't have to kill him, but to just threaten him enough so that Elizabeth will have no choice but to "mature" into a killer. Fitzroy is saddened that she will not be able to survive the revolution, but she accepts that she must die if it means that it will lead to Comstock's death as well. This turns Elizabeth's opinion of her from a psychopath who is just as bad as Comstock to a martyr willing to give the ultimate sacrifice to her cause.
So they fridged the only significant Black character in the game so Elizabeth could be even more special. loving hell.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
What? That is the plot of the DLC? That's so loving stupid.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Yeah it didn't work the way they intended, and that describes the whole game.
The previews they released over the development cycle show an amount of plot and NPC interaction that are not in the final product, quite obviously Irrational bit off more than they could chew.

I hope we'll get a highly detailed post mortem someday.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

By popular demand posted:

The previews they released over the development cycle show an amount of plot and NPC interaction that are not in the final product, quite obviously Irrational bit off more than they could chew.

That's pretty much Ken Levine in a nutshell. The original Bioshock previews had a ton of stuff that was cut/changed: for example, plasmids were originally going to make your hands all deformed implying you were changing into a splicer and that would factor into the ending, ADAM was going to be the currency for everything (not just plasmids) and the weapon mods were originally going to look all Macgyvered together to emphasize that Rapture was never meant to have guns (Levine later decided this looked "dorky")

Levine has also said something along the lines of him being glad that he didn't have a technical background because otherwise he never would have made System Shock 2 since he'd have known it was "impossible". Dude has always been an overly ambitious idea man who relies on his devs to crunch his constantly changing ideas into reality and judging by the rumors and radio silence from his new studio, he hasn't learned a drat thing all these years.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

What? That is the plot of the DLC? That's so loving stupid.

Oh no, that's not the plot of the DLC, just a really stupid diversion.

The actual plot is that Elizabeth is directly responsible for the events of BioShock 1.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ken Levine's next game hasn't aged poorly because it would need to come out at all for that to happen.

Good thing he didn't shut down his game company in order to start a new, boutique game studio that could produce smaller games with shorter dev cycles and left tons of people without jobs in the process!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

BioShock actually managed to work, ignoring the vestigial morality system.
It was pretty much the limit of what this development style can achieve, Infinite was quite a bit beyond that limit.
And now whatever new project was developed by Levin's new compact team was cancelled.:(

It may turn out that he peaked and we will never get anything great out of him again.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
The plot twist in Bioshock was fine, but its reveal was so loving dumb. Oh look, it's just a loving room with poo poo on the walls that tell you what the plot twist is.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I'm not saying it was perfect, but it was leaps and bounds above other video games.
What I do like about the Infinite DLCs is that they fleshed out the world of Rupture in a good way.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The Infinite DLCs are also staggeringly cynical, and not for the usual reasons. Sure, on the surface going back to Rapture is blatant enough already, but Levine seemed to go out of his way to tie up every last possible loose end and then kill off Elizabeth* specifically in a bid to prevent anyone else from ever messing with his baby again. It's really weird!

*Including writing out her omnipotence and "collapsing" her down to one mortal woman, just so Frank Fontaine can beat her to death with a crowbar after she hands over the information about Jack. She accepts this as a reasonable sacrifice because she knows Jack will then go on to murder the poo poo out of Fontaine later. :shepface:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

*Including writing out her omnipotence and "collapsing" her down to one mortal woman, just so Frank Fontaine can beat her to death with a crowbar after she hands over the information about Jack. She accepts this as a reasonable sacrifice because she knows Jack will then go on to murder the poo poo out of Fontaine later. :shepface:

I'm sorry, but WHAT THE CHRIST? I'm happy I got pissed off enough at Bioshock Infinite to not bother picking up the DLC, because that's hosed up.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

That is absolutely wretched and I'm glad as gently caress I didn't bother with the DLC. Jesus.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The one thing I enjoyed about Infinite most was the Luteces and the DLC completely ruined them too so gently caress that game. It could have been so good.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
You get to have a lobotomy done on you in first person as well right? Yeah that DLC was pretty crap.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Wow. Say what you will about Infinite, but it has an incredible ending and the perfect post-credits scene to offset how loving grim it was. Booker was irredeemable in every timeline that leads him to be baptized, but in an infinite multiverse there is always the option that some version of him and Elizabeth don't have to do that. And look, here they are as different people in Rapture, ready to have another adventure.

I just looked up the story of the DLC, and it pisses all over itself, Infinite and even the original. When the whole point of your game is that there is no such thing as predestination, just action-reaction and diverging branches of consequence, why the gently caress would you make it a closed timeloop?! Just so you can prevent anyone from ever playing with your toys again? Jesus, now I'm wondering if Levine uses co-writers or something, because this is all just so incredibly loving dumb.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

thebardyspoon posted:

You get to have a lobotomy done on you in first person as well right? Yeah that DLC was pretty crap.

It doesn't get that far Atlas only gets a bit into the orbital bone before the protagonist remembers what he wants to know.
You guys are taking the failures of the game a bit too hard but I was disappointed too.

I wonder if we ever get a fan restoration project going, like VTMB did.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

I wonder if we ever get a fan restoration project going, like VTMB did.

It's not totally outside the realm of possibility I guess, but Bloodlines had a comparative wealth of cut/unfinished leftovers right there in the game files. Infinite doesn't have nearly as much and the biggest stuff comes from the early trailers where the story was completely different. You'd need a beta leak ala Duke Nukem Forever to work from.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

PharmerBoy posted:

Given context I'm guessing nonces, but I'm gonna need help for specific names

Oh, one just wasn't a nonce, but a necrophiliac as well!

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Samovar posted:

Jimmy Saville.

Gary Glitter.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Samovar posted:

Need to be more specific rhan that.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Alhazred posted:

Need to be more specific rhan that.

Yeah you're talking British media personalities here, please sharpen your query.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
One was the pig fucker. Oh, sorry, you said narrow it down.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I'm not saying it was perfect, but it was leaps and bounds above other video games.

Wait what? The gently caress are you talking about.

Even at release Bioshock was a pretty rote shooter with a okay but not amazing twist and otherwise perfunctory writing.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

AceOfFlames posted:

…the weapon mods were originally going to look all Macgyvered together to emphasize that Rapture was never meant to have guns (Levine later decided this looked "dorky")

Were we supposed to believe that a libertarian paradise would not have guns?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Squidster posted:

I was off work sick this week, and replayed vidja game classic Bioshock Infinite. Hoo boy.

I did not remember the political commentary being that shallow and reductive. I have defended this game in the past, but I was wrong to do so -- it really is the most hamhanded centrist bullshit.

I had to put the controller down for a minute when the grizzled Serious Man Protagonist and Wise Waifu agreed that the fantasy KKK and fantasy resistance are equally evil. loving hell, the game's themes must have been crusty milk when it came out in 2013, and every successive year has made the messages worse.

I remember one time someone refuted to me that the game was "both sidesing" the conflict by pointing out the KKK faction had an evil killbot George Washington, with something that unsubtle it's obvious that faction is supposed to be the bad guys! They must have forgotten about the slave rebellion's evil killbot Abe Lincoln.

I guess the "point" of the game was the quantum bullshit and Booker being a walking trashcan, but those themes suck poo poo, actually, so naturally people are going to focus on the way more interesting slave rebellion that I guess was intended as window dressing.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

As I said, it was ambitious to the point of hubris.
That an entertaining game with a coherent plot even came out of this must have been a miracle.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BooDooBoo posted:

Jimmy Saville.

Gary Glitter.

In a similar note

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbg24_dMtQs

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Kwyndig posted:

Ben Franklin wrote a lot about the comforts of older women. He was infamous on the streets of Paris.

1. They know what they're doing in bed.

2. They know how to keep a secret

3. Better conversation.

4. A vagina's a vagina, right fellas?

5. They're just happy for the attention

6. Can't get pregnant

I don't remember the rest but I think those were the highlights from the horniest of our founders.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
He also said that over time the top half of women will shrivel but gravity ensures that their bottoms are nice and plump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

When Big Ben's around ladies swoon to the ground.
:quagmire:

If he ever got to be president America would have a penii and strippers flag

By popular demand has a new favorite as of 20:12 on Nov 9, 2022