Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Refind Chaos
Sep 16, 2007

King of 'tisms mountain

Covermeinsunshine posted:

Phobos were siting at 42% win rate - lowest of non compendium teams

Oh really? I honestly thought they were performing better than that, so yeah then they probably needed the buffs.

Siivola posted:

It's a bunch of nerfs to a weaker team for sure, but "unplayable" is a bit much.

I earnestly think in Gallowdark this makes them a no fun team to play, like not even a laugh. Just tedious losing, but again that's specifically Gallowdark. They are the team I've played the most and I was already finding them tedious in Gallowdark with the one bright spot being able to Kool-Aid Man through a wall now and again.

On the other hand I've been enjoying the Kroot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

I started collecting Tau this year after a looong hiatus and now I'm curious about the Into the Dark set? What all comes in the $210 set? Everything to play Kill Team as far as rules and dice etc? I got Pathfinders because they seem super cool and now the Kroot look great and seem to be the new team for the Space Hulk esque gameplay, are the Kroot useful in 40k as a unit or are they just regular Kroot Carnivores?

Really enjoying the Kill Teams modelling, and collecting based on an army but also rule of cool is so much more fun than trying to build a 'complete' army as fast as I can like I tried for as a teenager.

I really like your paint job Refind Chaos! The blue really pops with the olive

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

stackofflapjacks posted:

I started collecting Tau this year after a looong hiatus and now I'm curious about the Into the Dark set? What all comes in the $210 set? Everything to play Kill Team as far as rules and dice etc? I got Pathfinders because they seem super cool and now the Kroot look great and seem to be the new team for the Space Hulk esque gameplay, are the Kroot useful in 40k as a unit or are they just regular Kroot Carnivores?

Really enjoying the Kill Teams modelling, and collecting based on an army but also rule of cool is so much more fun than trying to build a 'complete' army as fast as I can like I tried for as a teenager.

The into the dark set comes with everything you need to play kill team and the terrain you need to play into the dark, however it is highly recommended you purchase the 2022 addendum for a full army list rules if you want to expand from there.

A word of warning though, if you want to play the veteran Krieg and orks you’ll have to buy the octarius rulebook for their full list

Also! Hot tip! If you order from amazon prime Into the Dark only costs 169 dollars!

I’m excited to get around to into the dark but I got the starter set to make sure I enjoy the game before committing to a bigger purchase. There are two more expansions on the way for gallowdark so into the dark is a foot way to start the game if you’re not a cheapass like me.

Refind Chaos
Sep 16, 2007

King of 'tisms mountain

stackofflapjacks posted:

Yes, the ItD boxed set includes the core rules, the rules for the two Kill Teams included (Kroot and Navy Breachers), dice, implements and the new close quarters combat rules for the Gallowdark season. Along with a ton of really nice terrain. You would need to pick up the Chalnath rulebook for the complete rules for a Pathfinder Kill Team. That's probably my one beef with Kill Team. the rules for the Kill Teams themselves are spread out through too many books and you have to know which teams belong to which environment, which is just dumb.

I'm honestly not familiar enough with WH40K to really understand how the Kroot Farstalker Kinband play compared to the Kroot Carnivores. The models themselves are both gorgeous and a modernizing and refinement of the old Kroot Carnivore models.

I appreciate the compliment for my Kroot model. I'm pretty excited for the team as I get more of them nearing completion and not just the test hound and Kroot.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
Battlescribe/wahapedia are invaluable resources for KT, if only because of how spread out the expansion content is.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Is there some way to bribe either or both of those sources to replace the standard shape icons with the ones I saw on a reference sheet that have the shape with the number in the middle?

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

Refind Chaos posted:

Ugh, yeah I read up on that yesterday over on Goonhammer. I have to say I'm pretty unhappy they pretty much made Kommandos unplayable in Gallowdark, seemed to beef up the Phobos, which as far as I know weren't struggling to begin with.

I was mostly convinced that the rules were poorly worded because the GW staffers for battle reports were allowing wall breaches, but maybe they were playing close quarters and not Gallowdark specifically?

For some other content: Here's my test Kroot model for ItD

I was also super bummed to see that the Navy Breachers can't actually breach.

Me and a buddy just picked up ITD, and Shadowvaults and I've been hemming and hawwing over how to paint my kroot. I love this test model, hadn't considered the nice blue/olive pairing! Nicely done

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Been building up a bit of a Mordor force. Here's a "Taskmaster".

My faces still need some work, but the rest of him turned out well. I did this largely with contrasts and washes.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Crossposting from the main Mini Painting thread

Aniodia posted:

Finally finished my first 1,000 points of High Elves for Warmaster. Two units each of Spearmen, Archers, Ellyrian Reavers, and Silver Helms, along with a couple Repeating Bolt Throwers, a Mage, and the General (with a Battle Standard Bearer behind him).

Closeup of the General and BSB.

Mage :smugwizard:

Spears

Archers

Reavers

Silver Helms

Repeating Bolt Throwers

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

LotR gaming buddy went over the deep end on a tree list

Treebeard, Merry, Pippin, Radagast, Quickbeam, Ent, Eagle
& either
a) Beorn and one more eagle, or
b) Beechbone and Glorfindel

versus my Uruk Hai @ 1000 points
Might as well go tooled up with gimmicks as this feels like a blowout otherwise.
2x Assault Ballistae, with options Engineer Captain, Superior Construction = 260
2x Demolition Team = 164 (added 4 flaming brand)
Saruman = 180 (flameburst)
Grima = 25
= 629 and almost 2/3 of my points. Uruk-Hai are native S4 so hordes of them could wound Ents on 6s

Any thoughts on how to trash his trees or at least make him sweat?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Played as Isengard yesterday. I am incredibly bad at this game. My buddy made a Rohan list using my models and absolutely trounced me.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Double posting, but I am very happy with how this gentleman turned out.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Atlas Hugged posted:

Double posting, but I am very happy with how this gentleman turned out.

Indeed, it's a very good job!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
This Mordor host is also looking pretty excellent.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Hey guys, finally built my kill teams, I'll be playtesting the game over the next week and see how I like it, will report back with impressions I have, if I do enjoy it I'm gonna double team Into the dark and Soulshackle for sure. Once the paints arrive I'll showcase them in the painting thread.

In other news, I tried the videogame version of Warhammer AoS underworlds, I was really surprised how much I really enjoyed the game! it's fast, action packed, easy to learn, a fun deck building and melee combat game, and it's perfect as a more casual game to play along side the more involved 'Kill Team' experience.

I am absolutely going to pick up the game! however, because I'll have to ship it across the globe, I would like add some decks and teams on top of the 'gnarlwood' box so that I can have a good collection of stuff and options to last a while.

What other teams/decks/accessories do you reccomend?

From what I'm looking around casually, the teams that caught my eye are the Vampires, Lizardmen Pirate ogre and the sigmar marines, Sadly the Minotaur Elves seem to be completely gone online which is sad because it's by far my favourite looking group from AoS in general other than goblins. oooh the snake people and fish elves look really cool too!

thanks!

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 13, 2022

Bad Decision Dino
Aug 3, 2010

We'll invade Russia.

Xlorp posted:

LotR gaming buddy went over the deep end on a tree list

Treebeard, Merry, Pippin, Radagast, Quickbeam, Ent, Eagle
& either
a) Beorn and one more eagle, or
b) Beechbone and Glorfindel

versus my Uruk Hai @ 1000 points
Might as well go tooled up with gimmicks as this feels like a blowout otherwise.
2x Assault Ballistae, with options Engineer Captain, Superior Construction = 260
2x Demolition Team = 164 (added 4 flaming brand)
Saruman = 180 (flameburst)
Grima = 25
= 629 and almost 2/3 of my points. Uruk-Hai are native S4 so hordes of them could wound Ents on 6s

Any thoughts on how to trash his trees or at least make him sweat?
I'm a relatively new player myself, but I recently played Fangorn with my Moria goblins. I am not very familiar with Isengard (nor Radagast, Eagles or Beorn for that matter), so I'll keep it pretty general.

I figured I needed to do three things:
1) Make succesful charges against Terror:
I brought a shaman with Fury, for Isengard it might not matter as much?
2) Win fights:
I brought bats so I could beat him on fight value. You might have an advantage here, as bringing Radagast means he does not get the army bonus, which means you can Immobilise/Transfix his trees.
3) Wounding against high toughness
I brought Prowlers with +1 to wound from two-handed and +1 to wound from Backstabbers mean wounding Treebeard on on 5's. For you this might be Beserkers two-handing?

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

He's going to win all the fights. And he's realized that and offered to bring Goblins + Dragon instead. 750 points and this one seems like it would be a lot more fun of a game.

My other list was shaping up to be a lot of demolition teams. 1 each for the two siege ballistae, and then 3 roving about near the front lines. They're great to counter monsters charging as they go boom at the start of fight phase.
Crossbow teams to harass the wizard. Berserkers to slow his chargers. The specific Helm's Deep Assault Legion had some cool demolition extra rolls to avoid the dreaded '1' misfire. Good thought experiment but not a balanced matchup.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Al-Saqr posted:

Hey guys, finally built my kill teams, I'll be playtesting the game over the next week and see how I like it, will report back with impressions I have, if I do enjoy it I'm gonna double team Into the dark and Soulshackle for sure. Once the paints arrive I'll showcase them in the painting thread.

In other news, I tried the videogame version of Warhammer AoS underworlds, I was really surprised how much I really enjoyed the game! it's fast, action packed, easy to learn, a fun deck building and melee combat game, and it's perfect as a more casual game to play along side the more involved 'Kill Team' experience.

I am absolutely going to pick up the game! however, because I'll have to ship it across the globe, I would like add some decks and teams on top of the 'gnarlwood' box so that I can have a good collection of stuff and options to last a while.

What other teams/decks/accessories do you reccomend?

From what I'm looking around casually, the teams that caught my eye are the Vampires, Lizardmen Pirate ogre and the sigmar marines, Sadly the Minotaur Elves seem to be completely gone online which is sad because it's by far my favourite looking group from AoS in general other than goblins. oooh the snake people and fish elves look really cool too!

thanks!

Teams are evenly matched for the most part so just pick with ever you like - imho if you like the teams its worth just getting 2 different boxed sets since you might also want additional game boards. Also get card sleeves for your stuff - single box of ultra pro or dragon shields should serve you right (100 sleeve pack)

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Covermeinsunshine posted:

Teams are evenly matched for the most part so just pick with ever you like - imho if you like the teams its worth just getting 2 different boxed sets since you might also want additional game boards. Also get card sleeves for your stuff - single box of ultra pro or dragon shields should serve you right (100 sleeve pack)

Done! Got two boxed sets and Dragon shield sleeves, this should set me up for a long time, thanks!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
halfling sheep riders for warmaster!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Ok I’ve done some playtests of Kill team recruit edition, my verdict is that this game is really really loving great, very action packed, very interesting, and the depths you can go to as you move from the basic move-shoot-kill action into the specific team abilities, missions, tac ops, win conditions and such really make this a super interesting and fantastic game with alot to offer! This is absolutely the kind of streamlined 40k experience I was looking for, and I really like how the game is structured in a way that forces you to keep pushing, be aggressive and dont dilly daddle or else you’ll find yourself without VP’s needed to win in the end. And the team members each have really important contributions and skills to give to the situation, it’s like playing a mix of Xcom and team fortress, love it.

I had no problems at all understanding the rules even from the rule book, it ‘ramps up’ really well, which is the opposite experience from what I had from 40k where I got lost four pages in (then again it’s been decades so maybe I was just stupid then)

I’m still scratching the surface and learning the intricacies, but I’m in no doubt as to what I think overall of the game, it’s fantastic, I like it alot, I went ahead and ordered Into The Dark since either ways the whole point of buying the recruit edition was to see if I liked the whole vibe of the game, and turns out, I do! And from what I’m reading online Into the Dark is an utterly fantastic rendition of Kill team. I really dig the Imperial navy so I got that box, really excited to see how soulshackle turns out. Gonna paint the Kroot as different species of birds lol.

One thing that I really need to figure out and study more, is the ‘Spec Ops’ Campaign structure, I’m actually surprised they managed to make a kind of videogame storymode exp-currency aspect to this lol, I’m a little bit confused as to the specifics of using their data slate cards, requisitioning, base building (wtf lol) equipment gathering, etc, I’ll need to learn more and more as I go along, its alot more involved than I was expecting.

One thing however I wish I had more access to is layout options and ideas, I currently have the recruit edition, and the rulebooks are surprisingly light on layout options, so I’ll have to figure out how to translate the mission options they give me in the core book with what I have on hand, if you guys have any sites that share layout/mission ideas that would be appreciated.

Also, one really encouraging sign I was getting was that some co-workers of mine showed genuine interest and commented about how ‘cool’ into the dark looked, they even expressed interest in trying the game, so I’m optimistic about getting more people to play the game than the usual crowd. :unsmith:

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 15, 2022

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
If GW had any sense they'd be pushing KT as a competitive game way harder.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
It works a lot better competitively than 40k imo

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
A buddy and i are going to a kill team night, neither of us have played kt and he hasnt played warhamms at all.

I have 4 teams, orks, a veteran team(2x so i have all the options), the imp navy breachers, and the kroot team.

Which teams would you guys recommend, particularly, what team would you recommend for my buddy?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Give him Orks. I would highly recommend playing a learning game or two beforehand just to learn basic rules and flow and help him familiarize with some of the concepts you already know like movement, dice mechanics, and stats.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
I guess i should have prefaced that this is an introduction to kill team night.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Spanish Manlove posted:

It works a lot better competitively than 40k imo
But doesn't sell nearly as many models.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
So I bought a Blood Bowl Black Orc sprue for my Kommandos and I can’t decide which head I prefer.

Option 1: Jawesome

Option 2: "You merely adopted the WAAAAAGGHH. I was born in it."

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
def with the mask

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

def with the mask

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Does the bloodbowl season 2 box have the rules for leagues, like skill ups, injuries and stuff? It's on a decent discount at my flgs, there's a 99% chance I've already bought it by the time anyone responds.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Eediot Jedi posted:

Does the bloodbowl season 2 box have the rules for leagues, like skill ups, injuries and stuff? It's on a decent discount at my flgs, there's a 99% chance I've already bought it by the time anyone responds.

Yes

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Thank ya

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

So I bought a Blood Bowl Black Orc sprue for my Kommandos and I can’t decide which head I prefer.

Option 1: Jawesome

WOOOOWWW drat I wish I did that that’s so cool!

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

:mediocre:

Not your conversion, it makes me think of Joe.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I have finished my Mordor Battlehost and the Mordor Orc Commanders pack.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Dear Thread,

Please stop posting all these cool minis from games I do not play*. My pile of shame is big enough, thanks.

Your friend,

- Lumpy

* yet

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Eediot Jedi posted:

:mediocre:

Not your conversion, it makes me think of Joe.

mediorkre

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

:hmmorks:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, just wondering - regarding the PC version of Blood Bowl 2*, does anyone have any advice for playing as Ogres? (Or another stunty team. Seems like Ogres are the most well-rounded one, though?) Since my league is starting up again after a break, so I figured I'd go in with something different, with no expectations of success.

So yeah, I know I'm gonna most likely lose every match, but I figured I'd seek some advice to better prepare myself so that I hopefully go down with style, rather than as a wet fart. I figure I should probably give all my ogres Block ASAP, so they're harder to take down (and hopefully don't bonehead too much, so that they can even get an attack in, now and again!) but otherwise, hard to say. Maybe it might be worth giving one accurate throw, maybe? Just in case I need to toss a snotling for a touchdown.
Additionally... I guess I'll give more dodgy/evasion stuff for the snotlings, seeing as they can't stand up in a fight anyway? Maybe one or two with dirty player, since if/when I can't win, it'll at least be good to give the victors an injury or two to think about! Otherwise, how I should be arraying my guys for drives is the big thing I'm wondering about. Like, put three on the line, or just two? And then... one on each wing? Should I normally hold one back to reinforce where needed (or to throw a little fella, if I'm desperate) or? I'm not familiar with stunty teams at all, so apologies in advance! And yeah, I know - doesn't matter how much I plan, it's gonna go sideways turn one anyway :D

* I can't remember what tabletop rules BB2 uses... 2020? 2016 - thanks Refined Chaos!

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 17, 2022