Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

So Mick Gordon made a public statement about the OST situation https://medium.com/@mickgordon/my-full-statement-regarding-doom-eternal-5f98266b27ce#b04c Seems highly feasibly he got screwed over and ID/Bethesda tried to shift all the blame to him.

Thanks for posting this.

Man Mick got hosed over. At least the salaried staff was getting paid while they did extra months of crunch and suffering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

What a shitshow. How can you hire someone of Mick's level and then dare claim they're the problem.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

So Mick Gordon made a public statement about the OST situation https://medium.com/@mickgordon/my-full-statement-regarding-doom-eternal-5f98266b27ce#b04c Seems highly feasibly he got screwed over and ID/Bethesda tried to shift all the blame to him.

Yeah this is hosed. Justice for mick. Sue the assholes for libel. Well no that'll just make for more lawyer headaches but holy poo poo does he deserve a bigger check.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Never trust a corporation. Crunch culture and management in any industry is absolutely hosed.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Reminiscing and lolling about some old posts from when Marty posted on reddit

quote:

much ado about nothing, the guy can't work to deadlines, even extended generously, don't work with him again. music was good but someone else will do just as good and deliver on time. it's good they made the whole story known in detail.

quote:

They did delay it, by more than the artist requested, and still didn't hit the deadline. You should read the letter.

quote:

how do you come to the conclusion that moving on from working with mick, after reading id's accounting of the situation, is a red flag

quote:

Important to point out I think that we really only have one side of the story in detail, though given the nature of NDAs and potential for legal issues I doubt Stratton would have been so detailed without being truthful.

my favorite:

quote:

Also to note: what's important is that Mick was asked to provide 12 songs. Not the entire OST, just 12 songs. He couldn't get that done (and it's explicitly stated that he couldn't, so unless you think Stratton is lying about that, you gotta assume this happened). Failure to mix 12 songs is kind of Mick's fault I think.
unless you think the corporate representative was lying about a situation to make their side look better,

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
How to issue a 3 year old chargeback to Bethesda and refund Doom Eternal? What a horrible situation. And yeah this really explains the few bits of Eternal that aren't so good.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I really hope that Marty will be legally forced to issue an apology, because I somehow think that it's probably the worst thing that you can inflict upon him.

It's probably not gonna happen because there's no justice in this world but one can dream.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Doomykins posted:

How to issue a 3 year old chargeback to Bethesda and refund Doom Eternal? What a horrible situation. And yeah this really explains the few bits of Eternal that aren't so good.

I assume you're half-joking but don't chargeback digital stores if you care about your account, it will probably get banned and you'll lose everything on there

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Mick mentions he was working on another Bethesda OST in 2015 that ended up getting rushed and then didn't get released even after he finished it and didn't get paid since he hadn't signed a contract yet.

What game would this have been? Far as I can tell all the Wolfenstein games had their soundtracks released. He says that the album eventually got released in 2019, what would it have been?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

repiv posted:

I assume you're half-joking but don't chargeback digital stores if you care about your account, it will probably get banned and you'll lose everything on there

Thanks for the advice but fortunately yes I am joking. Unfortunately this is the kind of scummy thing that makes me want to drop business entirely.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Arc Hammer posted:

Mick mentions he was working on another Bethesda OST in 2015 that ended up getting rushed and then didn't get released even after he finished it and didn't get paid since he hadn't signed a contract yet.

What game would this have been? Far as I can tell all the Wolfenstein games had their soundtracks released. He says that the album eventually got released in 2019, what would it have been?

Did he do the Wolfenstein DLCs? Might have been for that or some similar expansion thing.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

Mick Gordon posted:

I’m happy to hear Marty feels I deserve DOOM’s music awards because the truth is those trophies are kept locked in the id Software office. I’ve only ever seen them once. Behind glass. From a distance. Nobody has ever offered to send me copies. Thanks to the show’s producers, I was invited to perform at the Game Awards, but other than that, id Software never invited me to collect awards in person. Marty invited himself to collect the awards on my behalf instead. It would mean a lot to have a memento of all the hard work I poured into the DOOM franchise, but as it currently stands, I doubt I’ll ever see those awards again.

lmao. Mick sadly couldn't be here to accept these awards (because we didn't invite him)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Finished reading the statement.

Jesus loving christ, Stratton, Bethesda, Zenimax, all of you loving cretins.

Neo Rasa posted:

Did he do the Wolfenstein DLCs? Might have been for that or some similar expansion thing.

Looked it up and it was Wolfenstein Old Blood. That OST didn't get released until 2019.

So Bethesda, Id and Machine Games all hosed him over. Surprised he even worked on Wolfenstein 2 after that.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 9, 2022

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I really hated the music they got for the DLC. One key point of Micks soundtrack is that while its constructed harsh noise, it has grooves and memorable riffs. He even mentions in his long talk about it that the soundtrack was originally 'heavier' with more blast beats but the groove based approach works better for the gameplay. The DLC is all abrasive riffs with no groove.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
I don't know about that. The DLC has several tracks I think are bangers. UAC Atlantica Light feels very tense. Blood Swamps Ambient/Light are really moody. The credits theme has great riffs IMO, and I found it memorable.

Esran fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 9, 2022

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

The ARC Complex music absolutely loving slaps and it makes me real mad I can't get a decent quality copy of that track.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Mick's music is unique and instantly iconic but Andrew Hulshult's music fuckin rips too, just with a different vibe

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Mick's collab with Tex Perkins called "The Partisan" is a fantastic song and probably one of my favorite pieces of music in any game ever.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

hey this mick stuff is really hosed up and pisses me way the gently caress off. has marty/id/bethesda made any kind of response yet? i want to know if they're going to try to do anything right now that it's been made a public issue or if they're gonna try to throw mick under more

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
The pattern so far has been "Throw mick under the bus some more" so I fully expect they're talking about how best they can do this. There's a small but nonzero possibility that if this story gets enough heat, Marty's higher ups might start revisiting the math on who's cheaper to throw under the bus, Mick or Marty. But that'd be plan B. Plan A is most likely to stay the course and figure out whether it's possible to shut Mick up, and if not, how they can get people to stop listening to him (more smears, etc.) and ignore Marty/id's part in it. If they go that route it may eventually end up in court.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
It is telling that Mick spent 2 years trying to be a professional about the whole thing, going by his account, only to be demanded to fall on his own sword.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
This whole OST saga is a fuckin' bummer but like with Taylor/Bayonetta, I'm gonna have to wait for a response. At least Gordon brought his own receipts and didn't come out with unhinged poo poo from the getgo, but man is it breaking my heart that this is all over what's probably my favorite game ever :(

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
ID just jamming every piece of music Mick recorded into the game actually explains a lot about why it doesn't feel as organic as 2016's music. 2016 uses layers similar to Portal 2's music where certain parts of a song are emphasized based on player action triggers. That's why you got certain music stings when performing glory kills or headshots in 2016 and it felt like you were conducting the music via gameplay.

I noticed this wasn't really in Eternal and now I know why.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Unlucky7 posted:

going by his account

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Arc Hammer posted:

ID just jamming every piece of music Mick recorded into the game actually explains a lot about why it doesn't feel as organic as 2016's music. 2016 uses layers similar to Portal 2's music where certain parts of a song are emphasized based on player action triggers. That's why you got certain music stings when performing glory kills or headshots in 2016 and it felt like you were conducting the music via gameplay.

I noticed this wasn't really in Eternal and now I know why.
Yup, I was thinking the same thing when I got to that part

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

I believe Mick Gordon and yeah that is bad phrasing on my part.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Mick Gordon is the singular exception to the axiom "never trust a man with two first names."

I trust Mick.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Mister Speaker posted:

I trust Mick.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Jfc. Man has receipts for days and a statement clearly prepared with lawyer aid. Someone is about to have a real poo poo day.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

I know too many people who've been hosed over by the gaming industry not to trust Mick Gordon. gently caress iD and Marty Stratton with a BFG.

Brooks Cracktackle
Oct 17, 2008

Wow, that sure was a read that, just when it seems like it's not possible, keeps getting worse as it goes on. Poor Mick, I really hope he gets some kind of justice because it sure seems like the statement Marty put out is a complete fabrication and he's clearly got the receipts to prove it

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
Man, why does someone always get hosed over for doing their job well :smith:

On the other hand, that was a very well researched and presented rebuttal/defense.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

toasterwarrior posted:

This whole OST saga is a fuckin' bummer but like with Taylor/Bayonetta, I'm gonna have to wait for a response. At least Gordon brought his own receipts and didn't come out with unhinged poo poo from the getgo, but man is it breaking my heart that this is all over what's probably my favorite game ever :(

I'm glad he brought receipts too, but Mick's (very-appropriately-lawyered) statement would be the response to this amazing work of poo poo Stratton put out. The production of receipts and a detailed timeline is already greatly separating this from a "I made a video on Twitter with nothing else" situation like Taylor.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah but it's also been three years since that post, along with neither party at the time showing receipts. Considering this reveal by Gordon on an equal level with the open letter due to some who shot first thinking is pedantry I'm not even going to humor. I'll wait for a response, and if they don't then that's iD's answer. But I daresay they might have something to show too, if people keep playing up Zenimax's reputation as lawyer-heavy.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Wow, gently caress Marty. What complete nightmare behavior.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Wow! Well that is certainly some poo poo.

My opinion of Doom Eternal as a game is generally that I disliked it even before learning this. I know I'm probably having some conformation bias or whatever, but I think Doom 2016 is pretty much amazing all the way through where I think Eternal is a disjointed mess. Like take ARC Complex for instance one of the most popular levels, you go through almost this entire level to activate a couple guns and blow some tentacles away from a big door so you can go past it, and once you do, you just open a portal back to your ship from the other side as soon as you are there. So like, why didn't you just portal past the tentacles in the first place? Doom 2016 had the plot organically make it obvious that using portals was not something you could just do anytime and to any place you wanted. In 2016 you went places for a reason and followed a path because opening portals took real effort, came at a significant cost and even then weren't necessarily all that convenient because they were often fixed points at both ends. In 2016 Doom Guy rode a train for 200 kilometers which made one map flow into another in a convincing and organic way. There are even remnants of that theme in the Mars Core level of Eternal, why do you stuff yourself into a cannon to shoot yourself across a map? Because portals are hard. Except they aren't because your ship can just open one to any place that is convenient to start/stop the level.

Never mind that the gameplay in Eternal was just a bit too frantic and I felt like I was struggling to spin so many plates/cooldowns at once. The last time I did a casual playthrough of 2016 from a new save I was debating on if I should play on HMP or UV since I was just doing it to relax and enjoy some time off, I was like "well I want it to be easy, but not too easy you know"... So ultimately I compromised and played it all the way through on Nightmare and the whole time it was challenging but I was actually feeling like this mythical "Doom Slayer" that kept demons on the back foot out of nothing but pure spite. But in Eternal, even "I'm too young to die" is just a slog, I don't die, but the challenge isn't fighting the demons, its fighting the constant resource management.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah but it's also been three years since that post, along with neither party at the time showing receipts. Considering this reveal by Gordon on an equal level with the open letter due to some who shot first thinking is pedantry I'm not even going to humor. I'll wait for a response, and if they don't then that's iD's answer. But I daresay they might have something to show too, if people keep playing up Zenimax's reputation as lawyer-heavy.

The extended timeline before Mick went public is pretty appropriate if you're working with lawyers. A year and a half of negotiations with Zenimax/Bethesda lawyers would mean no coming public with any statements on either side if you're trying to get an amicable resolution, and if one side is performing stalling tactics to draw it out then it can take even longer.

The statement Mick posted I said was lawyered because it's got the hallmarks of a statement that someone ran past their lawyers like a clear definition of terms used, detailed timeline, and statements clarifying where where wrongs were and weren't committed (like Bethesda paying out for the March-April OST Contract).

I'm not saying You're Wrong though, we're all just people posting on a messageboard about this, but as far as legal footwork goes this is miles ahead of the recent situation with Bayonetta.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Oh yeah, of course, it's why I said Taylor came out all unhinged vs. Gordon with receipts. This'll be a fight, as opposed to some idiot grifter getting bodied in a weekend.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
2016 was way, way too slow and easy. Every time you got to a location where enemies were going to spawn there was a big windup, then the little guys start trickling in. You kill them and wait for the bigger guys, but there's only a few, and you don't have anything else to worry about and you can kill them tidily too. For all its bad decisions and dumbening down of fps fun, eternal made it hectic again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just get the "speed on glory kill" rune in 2016. You'll be flying around the arena.