Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Doomykins posted:

Ah yes, this does indeed "rules" for something like my 12th consecutive week of walk of shame to the plaque and the routine gut punch.

Honestly couldn't they at least mail me back the rejection money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It rules and I like talking with my neighbors and little goofy rear end community made events.

I would love it if there were neighbors around to talk to. I've got pretty fond memories of hanging out with people in Mist in ARR. Unfortunately most housing zones are so dead nowadays that they may as well be instanced.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

boutta get my money back

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I thought the Endwalker Earthly Star radius increase was ridiculous, but you're right, it's sometimes still not big enough.

How? :psyduck: Are people just hanging around the edges?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Doomykins posted:

Ah yes, this does indeed "rules" for something like my 12th consecutive week of walk of shame to the plaque and the routine gut punch.

I'm glad we can agree on this.

But also yeah apartments need to be cheaper and easier to get early on.

Thundarr posted:

I would love it if there were neighbors around to talk to. I've got pretty fond memories of hanging out with people in Mist in ARR. Unfortunately most housing zones are so dead nowadays that they may as well be instanced.

Not an issue on the kugane housing in my server. Hell, the EW surge made it a lot more populated and cactuar has tons of weirdos doing parties or other events pretty consistently.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 9, 2022

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah. Some people just will not stand anywhere near other players or the boss, especially if they're ranged.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Yeah. Some people just will not stand anywhere near other players or the boss, especially if they're ranged.

I try, honestly, but the bigger circle really does trigger old habits where I back up to avoid something and then never go back because I don't need to.

It's like trying to tell a Red Mage they have a button that does the same damage without backflipping out of the group.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I've never seen anyone in any housing ward talking to a neighbor over the fence in say while searching for a house. On excal at least. It's always a ghost town

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

As someone who's been trying to move to a bigger house since the lottery started, it sucks losing week after week, but it's still worlds better than the old system. While there's no distribution system that fixes a lack of supply, I actually have a chance at winning a lottery, even if it's a low chance. In the old system, I once pulled an all-nighter clicking the board, walked away for 5 minutes to get food, and the house was sold when I got back. The whole system was terrible and dominated by bots. I only got lucky with my current house during the resumption of demolitions after the last housing freeze, when a lot of plots opened up at once.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

From my raid group a couple tiers back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vPIhrJrxEI&t=427s

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Since getting my house a few months ago, I have literally never seen a single soul besides myself in my ward. Granted it's ward 14 in ishgard so not some boppin' place like mist/kugane, but I figure I'd see one!

I know people are there since I see minor changes to housing exteriors and furnishings, I just never see them in the flesh. :(

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Bruceski posted:

I try, honestly, but the bigger circle really does trigger old habits where I back up to avoid something and then never go back because I don't need to.

It's like trying to tell a Red Mage they have a button that does the same damage without backflipping out of the group.

Asking someone playing RDM to pick safety over style is missing the point of the job entirely.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Bruceski posted:

to be fair if my Scholar could do backflips I would be backflipping all the time too, I can't blame the Red Mage

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah I'd never think less of any RDM that chooses not to use the coward's button.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Dragongem posted:

to be fair if my Scholar could do backflips I would be backflipping all the time too, I can't blame the Red Mage

Our very first pull of P5S, on the first attack, I said "that looks like a Raidwide, I'll hit Troubador" hit the wrong button and shot straight back into the deathwall. In the aftermath someone asked "how did Bruceski die before the attack went off, is there another mechanic we missed" and the one other person who noticed and I had to explain while still laughing.

First time I've ever done that by accident, still laughing 6 weeks later. ...has it only been 6 weeks? Feels longer.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

My personal house is in Shirogane (granted, ward 20) and the place is so dead that I was actually shocked to see a live player running past yesterday. They didn't stop to visit. :(

I actually own apartment 1 in Mist 1, and while I don't use it all that often I still only see other people there maybe once a week or less.

It's kinda sad tbh.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I'm in a Mist ward that got turned into FC housing and it's pretty lively. :shobon: I regularly see people from two of the immediately adjacent FCs hanging out at their houses all the time and like to chat with them when I'm marketboarding or whatever.

Edit: Not to say that this influences my opinion vis a vis instanced housing/more available housing/etc. - the system sucks rear end, there's no two ways about it. Just that I have neighbors that I've met/hung out with.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I will continue beating this drum, but I think allowing personal housing at all in the wards was a mistake, but you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube.

Neighborhoods should be FCs only.

Everyone should get a personal instanced house that they can upgrade the size over Animal Crossing style.

If wards were FC only, you'd need less wards and they would be more populated.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Cabbit posted:

Asking someone playing RDM to pick safety over style is missing the point of the job entirely.

Got Eden Titan in my duty today and a RDM backflipped off the outer edge to evade an aoe. It was art.

Mordiceius posted:

I will continue beating this drum, but I think allowing personal housing at all in the wards was a mistake, but you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube.

Neighborhoods should be FCs only.

Everyone should get a personal instanced house that they can upgrade the size over Animal Crossing style.

If wards were FC only, you'd need less wards and they would be more populated.

Yes, thank you, solutions exist! When people are like "actually housing is fine" I can only imagine they mean "I have a house, what's the issue?" There's just an indestructible social anchor where the company doesn't want to undo existing housing because the fan outrage will be deafening which yeah, OK, fine, I get it.

But suggesting the housing situation is fine as is... nah.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Doomykins posted:

Yes, thank you, solutions exist! When people are like "actually housing is fine" I can only imagine they mean "I have a house, what's the issue?" There's just an indestructible social anchor where the company doesn't want to undo existing housing because the fan outrage will be deafening which yeah, OK, fine, I get it.

But suggesting the housing situation is fine as is... nah.

I have a large personal house and I don't think personal houses should be in wards. Every ward is drat near dead because 90% of the houses in each ward are personal houses.

Unfortunately, we can't undo what has been done.

If I could go back and redesign the system, I'd keep the neighborhoods and housing lotteries for FCs. Then create a situation where everyone could buy a piece of empty land for personal instanced housing. Everyone gets the same size lot. Then you can pay more to expand it. You can pay more to put a small house on it. You can pay more to upgrade that house's size. Then everyone gets whatever size instanced how they want in whichever district theme they want.

The housing system is hosed and the only real "fix" is more wards. As for wards being empty, there is no fix to that.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Bruceski posted:

It does less damage and is less stylish, no self-respecting RDM should even have it on their bars. :colbert:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
If I could rewrite history and make housing not garbage, they'd be FC only, larger estates than they are now, and the stables / workshop / ship control center would all be separate buildings on the grounds. And you'd be able to put more than 20 items outside. You can't even decorate a small house with the limit they give you.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If I could rewrite history and make housing not garbage, they'd be FC only, larger estates than they are now, and the stables / workshop / ship control center would all be separate buildings on the grounds. And you'd be able to put more than 20 items outside. You can't even decorate a small house with the limit they give you.

Large houses need a bigger item limit inside. Medium houses have an item limit of 300 items. For large houses, it is 400 items, but large houses are about 2.5x the floor space of a medium house.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Mordiceius posted:

Large houses need a bigger item limit inside. Medium houses have an item limit of 300 items. For large houses, it is 400 items, but large houses are about 2.5x the floor space of a medium house.

Also true. My medium's feeling pretty barren at parts, and my FC's large basically has half the basement and main floor empty. You can't detail the entire house with that limit.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
wish I could get into houses more. I spent like 5 mil on a small plot and house, furnished it then I unsubbed and lost all the furniture because of auto demolish.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

SirSamVimes posted:

It does less damage and is less stylish, no self-respecting RDM should even have it on their bars. :colbert:

It doesn't do less damage. https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/jobguide/redmage/

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

Huh, could've sworn it was the same damage but I haven't played it since ShB and it was never a main job. Did EW give one an upgrade and not the other?

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Yes, it did less damage in ShB but it has been equalized now.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Bruceski posted:

Our very first pull of P5S, on the first attack, I said "that looks like a Raidwide, I'll hit Troubador" hit the wrong button and shot straight back into the deathwall. In the aftermath someone asked "how did Bruceski die before the attack went off, is there another mechanic we missed" and the one other person who noticed and I had to explain while still laughing.

First time I've ever done that by accident, still laughing 6 weeks later. ...has it only been 6 weeks? Feels longer.

I did this on my first run of P3 on Reaper, because it turns out having "party damage buff" and "teleport 15 feet back" next to each other on my hotbar was not a good idea. "Oh, I should get my buffs rolling!" Tap, bam, dead.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It rules and I like talking with my neighbors and little goofy rear end community made events.

I have literally only ever seen one other person in my neighborhood. We both used the retainer bell in silence and went back to our houses.

This was in an FC neighborhood too, you'd think that would mean more people than the individually-owned plots.

I would absolutely love to be involved in community poo poo, but the northwest part of Mist 8 is a ghost town full of silly houses.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Every time I see someone in my housing ward, it's a little miracle. Maybe return of autodemolitions would change something, maybe it would help bring some active players.
Although I know my neighbor exists and is active because they recently clearly copied exterior of my house.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 9, 2022

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Antivehicular posted:

I did this on my first run of P3 on Reaper, because it turns out having "party damage buff" and "teleport 15 feet back" next to each other on my hotbar was not a good idea. "Oh, I should get my buffs rolling!" Tap, bam, dead.

Could be worse, I used to have my tank LB next to my charge. Got (justifiably) yelled at for that a couple of times until I changed it.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Me, who backflips every time after my melee combo: it does damage?!?

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Pwnstar posted:

Lol I remember when I realized that one myself, and same

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Pwnstar posted:

Hence why you also have the secondary closer (Engagement), so you can still do damage even if you don't have enough room to safely backflip.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Caught my error, I forgot a month when counting. We're in week 10 of savages.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
lol my first time using data center travel is to join the revival wings group.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
lmao
https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1590587911610957824?t=SDiBN82xJSWKR5tsVCGlPw&s=19

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

accurately capturing my emotions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Apparently the text for the Valens sticker is accurate to the original Japanese translation of that scene of his.

Which... drat, that's actually way more chilling.