Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

GABA ghoul posted:

Good news everyone, this morning I turned Twitter into a socks company! Production in Bangladesh has already started, you are all fired! Goodbye

Next day: Socks are dead. I sold the socks plant in Bangladesh. Currently looking to hire 7000 IT people to pivot Twitter more towards social media again

I could at least get some good use out of $8 socks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Unperson_47 posted:

What in the sam hell does this even mean

Nothing. It means nothing.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Unperson_47 posted:

Remember NFTs? lol

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Most (all?) of the time Kirkland brand is just literally name brand stuff that is relabeled.

costco requires them to prove it's at least 1% better than the normal stuff in some aspect, so there's a slight difference (this is likely to prevent kirkland brand from just being factory seconds).

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Ah yes, the (Bitcoin) wallet inspector hustle. First as farce on the Simpsons two decades ago, now as a hilarious tragedy

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Unperson_47 posted:

You know how you can track data in a database? And how, because it's a database you own you can also correct for errors, make changes at a low cost, clone or migrate the database to different regions to work around other problems like latency? And how generally database access is fast?

It's the opposite of that, a really slow distributed dataset that makes it hard to correct for mistakes, so people can maximally scam on it.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
i just keep my money in a pillowcase

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI
I unironically agree that every tweet should be minted as an Ethereum transaction.

I think it would greatly improve my enjoyment of Twitter.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Tunicate posted:

costco requires them to prove it's at least 1% better than the normal stuff in some aspect, so there's a slight difference (this is likely to prevent kirkland brand from just being factory seconds).

Hm, didn't know that. That's even better 1% better, exactly.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Chainclaw posted:

You know how you can track data in a database? And how, because it's a database you own you can also correct for errors, make changes at a low cost, clone or migrate the database to different regions to work around other problems like latency? And how generally database access is fast?

It's the opposite of that, a really slow distributed dataset that makes it hard to correct for mistakes, so people can maximally scam on it.

Relational databases are for losers lol!

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
https://twitter.com/nandoodles/status/1590409080673566722

code:
•Eventually impersonators will stop making accounts bc losing $ is a disincentive
just gonna, uh, click on the "leper's colony" link above, and uh, select "permabans" in the drop down menu to see how wildly successful at removing bad faith actors this logic is

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Craig K posted:

code:
•Eventually impersonators will stop making accounts bc losing $ is a disincentive
just gonna, uh, click on the "leper's colony" link above, and uh, select "permabans" in the drop down menu to see how wildly successful at removing bad faith actors this logic is

Elon, let me introduce you to Seraph. I’m sure you’ll have a lot to talk about

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Nobody tell him about stolen credit cards.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

or that many of the impersonators are running scams which can easily pay for the accounts they use to bring in marks

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

The Pirate Captain posted:

Nobody tell him about stolen credit cards.

He knows about it. If anything, I have no doubt he is very much in favor of people with very disposable income spending on his products/services. Now, if someone could get him to tweet it out loud during one of his manic stupors, then things could get very interesting.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

repiv posted:

or that many of the impersonators are running scams which can easily pay for the accounts they use to bring in marks

a scam that brings in more than $8? Okay Mr Buffett some of us are a bit realistic about our business models

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Aramis posted:

He knows about it. If anything, I have no doubt he is very much in favor of people with very disposable income spending on his products/services. Now, if someone could get him to tweet it out loud during one of his manic stupors, then things could get very interesting.

Chargebacks are a bitch, and at some point payment providers stop working with you.

Like, stolen credit cards are not free money. Thieves needs to convert them into something else before they get discovered.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Unperson_47 posted:

Nothing, its Crypto grifter bullshit.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
It's also supposed to be a subscription, you aren't losing $8 to have to reapply, you were going to be out that $8 for NEXT month anyway.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Twitter invented the verified standard that every major social media since 2009 site has cribbed, and Elon scrapped it on a whim :lol:

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Cthulu Carl posted:

LMAO, she pulled an 80-hour week and slept in a loving conference room for this

The blue checkmark is for $8/mo accounts.
The azure checkmark is for previously verified accounts
The cornflower checkmark is for official accounts
The periwinkle checkmark is if Musk thinks you're a LOSER!

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Just like in something awful permanent banning a user means they'll never come back.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Loving twitter's new motto: Move fast, do dumb things

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
anyway it is absolutely loving hilarious that elon musk is burning large chunks of his fortune to learn the same lessons lowtax learned in 2003

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Verdugo posted:

The blue checkmark is for $8/mo accounts.
The azure checkmark is for previously verified accounts
The cornflower checkmark is for official accounts
The periwinkle checkmark is if Musk thinks you're a LOSER!

the clear checkmark means you're fired

Always
Be
Posting

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
https://twitter.com/amorgus_/status/1589836753283604480?s=20&t=wjiMq366I-NMrgrtNUiP5A

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Craig K posted:

anyway it is absolutely loving hilarious that elon musk is burning large chunks of his fortune to learn the same lessons lowtax learned in 2003

oh i'm sure elon will not learn anything

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

SpiritOfLenin posted:

oh i'm sure elon will not learn anything

...............yeah you're completely correct

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
It gets better

https://twitter.com/nandoodles/status/1590444022304497664?s=20&t=jKjGy9T7rSrQi2EQMQGwWg

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/elon__rnusk/status/1590453109759016960

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Michael Scott is running one of the biggest social media platforms on the planet

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Craig K posted:

code:

Yeah, someone told Elon that this will get him in trouble with payment processors. Which is why he suddenly wants to get twitter into that business.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/dril/status/1590457717181009920

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

"People won't pay $8 to scam and impersonate" *immediately people pay $8 to scam and impersonate*

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

kazil posted:

"People won't pay $8 to scam and impersonate" *immediately people pay $8 to scam and impersonate*

Surely they will learn their lesson after they lose $8

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Brother Tadger posted:

Surely they will learn their lesson after they lose $8

Works like a charm on these forums

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
holy gently caress that clown meme is now flagged as "potentially sensitive content" lmao loving forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
https://twitter.com/mmasnick/status/1590455595970461696

The only need to hire an outside auditor and report to the FTC every two years, so delayed results on this one. But 2023/2024's shaping up to be a banner year for Elmo and Twitter. :v: