Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

i say swears online posted:

new andor from last night is some of the best television I've ever seen hands down lol

I kinda liked the heist episode better but it might just be a mood thing. Still absolutely great though, Skarsgard killed it at the end there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

new andor from last night is some of the best television I've ever seen hands down lol

It was ridiculously good. Andy Serkis knocked it out of the park. That man can act.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

I kinda liked the heist episode better but it might just be a mood thing. Still absolutely great though, Skarsgard killed it at the end there

it was definitely a mod thing; I was running high from election results and went full sicko mode screaming "yes, yes! kill them!!" at the screen

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Ambulance is Michael Bay's best movie in like a decade at least. drat.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

MeatwadIsGod posted:

it's so fun, loved the bonkers surgery sequence

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

babypolis posted:

there sure is a whole lot of time spent talking about and reveling in the spectacle of a war you arent supposed to care about

Star Wars 2 ends as the war begins and then Star Wars 3 begins as the war ends. the war itself happens offscreen

the whole point of Palpatine's character is that the war doesn't matter. it's his entire thing. c'mon

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

it was definitely a mod thing; I was running high from election results and went full sicko mode screaming "yes, yes! kill them!!" at the screen

I was impressed with the control room scene. I thought the way it showed the temptation to shoot prisoners out of hand, built tension around it and had the protagonists decide against it was really well done, all without dialogue, let alone the kind of sermonizing (“If we do that, what makes us better than them?!”) you would expect.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I don't think any other star wars media captured the spirit of the rebellion as well as this single episode of Andor did, it was just amazing

Serkis and Skarsgård deserve emmies for this

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

I was impressed with the control room scene. I thought the way it showed the temptation to shoot prisoners out of hand, built tension around it and had the protagonists decide against it was really well done, all without dialogue, let alone the kind of sermonizing (“If we do that, what makes us better than them?!”) you would expect.

I liked how the menacing voice on the loudspeaker was just some dweeb

McCloud posted:

I don't think any other star wars media captured the spirit of the rebellion as well as this single episode of Andor did, it was just amazing

Serkis and Skarsgård deserve emmies for this

One thing I liked was that as heroic as the uprising was it was still a huge mess- a lot of people still won't make it out of there. Then bringing it back to Luthen doing all the le Carre poo poo to eventually shape that incoherent anger into an actual organization that can strike back for real.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

MeatwadIsGod posted:

it kicked so much rear end

Serf
May 5, 2011

on the advice of this thread i watched andor and it was actually good. probably the best thing they've made with star wars outside of rogue one

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

I liked how the menacing voice on the loudspeaker was just some dweeb

One thing I liked was that as heroic as the uprising was it was still a huge mess- a lot of people still won't make it out of there. Then bringing it back to Luthen doing all the le Carre poo poo to eventually shape that incoherent anger into an actual organization that can strike back for real.

The menacing voice being a dweeb and also the imperials cowering in a room hiding from the prisoners was so good. Luthen being a callous rear end in a top hat but the kind of rear end in a top hat the rebellion needs is also a great bit, you don't overthrow empires by being nice.

Serf posted:

on the advice of this thread i watched andor and it was actually good. probably the best thing they've made with star wars outside of rogue one

Rogue one always felt compromised in the editing room, and it kinda sucks because imagine if it was as good as Andor if they hadn't messed with it

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Serf posted:

It rocks how the best star war in forty years is a TV miniseries that's a prequel to a spinoff about a character who's most memorable trait is that he dies

McCloud posted:

The menacing voice being a dweeb and also the imperials cowering in a room hiding from the prisoners was so good. Luthen being a callous rear end in a top hat but the kind of rear end in a top hat the rebellion needs is also a great bit, you don't overthrow empires by being nice.

Yeah I really like where they're going with Luthen, and it'll be interesting to see how they develop Mon Mothma- it's interesting how they do all this background work of establishing how lovely her family and Chandrilian society are and then drop the big moral sacrifice for her along those lines.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
I'm two episodes into andor, it's not bad or anything but I'm still waiting for the hook.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

I'm two episodes into andor, it's not bad or anything but I'm still waiting for the hook.

ive got good news

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

it takes off for real at the end of ep 3 and then keeps going

Serf
May 5, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

It rocks how the best star war in forty years is a TV miniseries that's a prequel to a spinoff about a character who's most memorable trait is that he dies

i think you'll find that his most memorable trait is that he's incredibly pretty, to the point that it's a joke in the show

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Serf posted:

i think you'll find that his most memorable trait is that he's incredibly pretty, to the point that it's a joke in the show

I would strenously disagree with this statement.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

bix is smokin' tho

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/iconic-brazilian-singer-gal-costa-dies-77-rcna56487

RIP Gal Costa. Her self titled album is probably one of her best.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

hot drat both Serkis and Skarsgard had some great performances this week, and Genevieve O'Reilly seems to be priming for some big stuff about betrothals

I can see why some people would prefer the heist episode, but this one really hit right

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1590409501303529472?s=20

zoomer starlets gently caress off!!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it is kinda hard to imagine her taking judi dench type roles in twenty years

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Finished watching the andor heist episode and holy moly that ending. Everything is so insane and yet realistic. I feel like I understand everyone's motivation and their actions all make sense.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

yeah it's a wonderful album. RIP

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Finished watching the andor heist episode and holy moly that ending. Everything is so insane and yet realistic. I feel like I understand everyone's motivation and their actions all make sense.

yeah of all the ways to praise it, it's all really about the writing

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'm not watching star and/or wars

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

its funny that a tv show where the characters have understandable & relatable motivations means it's exemplary despite being set in the toy commercial universe

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

music > books > movies >>>>>>>>> TV > videogames

as far as mass media art forms & the strength of their power

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

TV is just videogames for boomers

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Is that also inverse list of how rich the artists are?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I like tv and video games

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Antonymous posted:

its funny that a tv show where the characters have understandable & relatable motivations means it's exemplary despite being set in the toy commercial universe

it's also very anti-fascist, anti-cop, anti-lib, and anti-electoral. wild that several scenes of space-AOC getting laughed out of space-Congress for suggesting to do a little less genocide are in the toy commercial universe, but here we are

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

that tweet that said "I want a marvel film about normal people in the marvel universe, who have to go to work and fall in love and one of them disappears when the purple guy snaps"

you scoffed but now you're lapping it up lol

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

theflyingexecutive posted:

it's also very anti-fascist, anti-cop, anti-lib, and anti-electoral. wild that several scenes of space-AOC getting laughed out of space-Congress for suggesting to do a little less genocide are in the toy commercial universe, but here we are

Uhm excuse me it's actually space-pelosi

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Where’s the lie?

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

people told me Raised by Wolves was good but it was just aping Lost's ~mystery~ vibe except clearly going to burn out way faster

Ridley scott is a good director but he couldn't save that idea.

I learned when people say some TV is good they mean "good if you want to spend time watching tv" which I don't as a matter of course. It has to be atually good, a positive use of my time generally, like Twin Peaks, rather than a tolerable waste of my time

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Antonymous posted:

that tweet that said "I want a marvel film about normal people in the marvel universe, who have to go to work and fall in love and one of them disappears when the purple guy snaps"

no! noooo!

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/ZeroSuitCamus/status/1590479327904567296

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Antonymous posted:

they completely changed the game by pressing the make good button