Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Culka posted:

That's because an all enemies side doesn't target anything. Duel works when the target is also targeting you.

Other "all enemies" abilities proc "target" effects. For instance, the lich has an all-enemy 1 damage with procs weaken's "target gets -N to all sides this turn" on your full party.

I am guessing it's inconsistent because duel is a really rare keyword and not commonly used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I suspect those are programmed as "target each player character individually". As opposed to, say, the bell's gong, which does a single damage to everyone but without targets.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

silvergoose posted:

I suspect those are programmed as "target each player character individually". As opposed to, say, the bell's gong, which does a single damage to everyone but without targets.

This is correct. You can see with the Lich's ability that it shows as hitting every colour, same as troll stomp for example. Duel doesn't work when you're not being directly targeted or not directly targeting/hitting. For example, dancer hit all doesn't count for the same reason the Gong 'ding' doesn't, but duel also doesn't work on the sharpshot's kill ability because it doesn't deal direct damage. It won't bump it up for 'kill under 5' to 'kill under 10' even if sharpshop is being directly targetted.

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing
Yeah, that's what I meant. That you, the player, do not select a target when using the die.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Yeah my point is that there are skills where you do choose a target and it still doesn't trigger, like sharpshot's execute.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Tunicate posted:

duel seems a bit quriky in how it applies - does it only work on single target attacks?

yeah it's kind of annoying, if I want to take fewer blessings I should be able to do that

Dual doesn't work on the orange's range attacks that kill creatures with HP of or below it's pip value. But other things that manipulate it's pip value does.

E;fb

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I am beginning to think that giving my juggler the lich's tome may not have been a good idea

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Angry Diplomat posted:

I am beginning to think that giving my juggler the lich's tome may not have been a good idea

I've done that once too, it was hilarious but not a fast way to win fights.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

If you got the bone math blessing it might be!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Amulet of aiiu needs to have a 33% chance to add an hp for names with Y. Ys are vowels sometimes :colbert:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
All Ys in hero names are vowels iirc. And most monsters. pls fix.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

No. It didn't work on my sparky :(

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop

Angry Diplomat posted:

Just did this but with a sorcerer and Clay, so every roll summoned 2 bones. However, I also had the Blades spell so I just knifed them all to bits afterwards

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Angry Diplomat posted:

This works really well with the "weak monsters get -2hp" blessing

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Just cracked loot normal, drat that makes you work hard to synergise your items to your character because even normal busts you to bits if you don't.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Culka posted:

Yeah, that's what I meant. That you, the player, do not select a target when using the die.

yeah but it specifies targets (plural), so it shouldn't be referring only to a single monster you click on.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

RodShaft posted:

This works really well with the "weak monsters get -2hp" blessing

I was upset to learn that the -2hp for small monsters doesn't delete 2hp archers and thorns.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Tunicate posted:

yeah but it specifies targets (plural), so it shouldn't be referring only to a single monster you click on.

To be completely honest I think the reason duel doesn't work like that because it inherently makes things way more confusing. Say duel works like that and 3 of 5 enemies are targeting you when you use an AoE duel side. What happens? Does duel trigger 3 times for 8 times damage on everyone? Does it only trigger once across all enemies? Should it trigger individually for each enemy (so only the enemies targeting you take x2 damage)? If it does work that way how would it interact with mana-gain or pain? I imagine it was probably the simplest solution to just go "it does nothing".

I haven't tested it but I would assume this also applies to the other keywords that are 2x damage conditional on the enemy state, like Focus, Under/Over/Dog, or Terminal.

Arzaac fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 9, 2022

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Miftan posted:

Yeah my point is that there are skills where you do choose a target and it still doesn't trigger, like sharpshot's execute.

Execute isn't a damage die, it's a kill die. I think duel doubles damage not pips.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Alucard posted:

Execute isn't a damage die, it's a kill die. I think duel doubles damage not pips.

Duel posted:

x2 vs targets who are targeting me

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

All this duel talk has got me wondering. AFAICT the x2 multipliers stack multiplicatively (just had a run where I added Dueling Pistol to Gladiator's 2 pip engage side and turned it into an 8-damage opener) so how big can we get the multiplier and what is the maximum possible damage, assuming this behavior continues?

With a max of 3 items using Deep Pockets, an easy start is Valkyrie's left Deathwish side and add Cruel (Tooth Necklace), Duel (Dueling Pistol) and Chain (Triple Shuriken). That's 16x damage (assuming the baseline 4 pips you get a solid 64 damage) assuming you can line up all the keywords, and all the items are different levels so it's a legal combo. Add in some Boost sides and the damage goes through the roof. How far can this go?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I got a side to 10000-ish before it was patched to cap sides at 999 for stability reasons (not by stacking a bunch of doubling abilities, just with an expontential combo)

Also, smith events and emerald items mean that you can get more than 3 items on a hero, and there's no restriction on level. Plus you can also get abilities from blessings.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Just wanted to join the chorus and saying that this is one of the best phone games I've ever played. The depth is surprising but super accessible, and the visual language of the UI is super helpful for making tactical decisions. It's a perfect game to play in short little bursts or just binge through.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Tea Party Crasher posted:

Just wanted to join the chorus and saying that this is one of the best phone games I've ever played. The depth is surprising but super accessible, and the visual language of the UI is super helpful for making tactical decisions. It's a perfect game to play in short little bursts or just binge through.

It's terrible for playing in short bursts (because then I play for a long while that I didn't actually have time for)

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

silvergoose posted:

It's terrible for playing in short bursts (because then I play for a long while that I didn't actually have time for)

Yea, I have to absolutely stop taking my phone with me to the bathroom in the morning because I will get sucked in and not have time to go to the gym

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

CainFortea posted:

Yea, I have to absolutely stop taking my phone with me to the bathroom in the morning because I will get sucked in and not have time to go to the gym

If you did get isekai'd into your phone and became a slice and dice class what would be on your die

The Huge Manatee
Mar 27, 2014

silvergoose posted:

I am once again asking for a Hyper-Blursed mode.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

OP could you increase the difficulty for opening the game so that these poor goons won't neglect themselves

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

OP could you increase the difficulty for opening the game so that these poor goons won't neglect themselves

That would literally be the worst solution to the problem I can think of.

Like i've been bashing my head against the 40 round attempt for weeks now.

Also i'd be the wizard.

Also also, hoping next update brings a die face that like, copies monster die face for next round or something.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

CainFortea posted:

Also also, hoping next update brings a die face that like, copies monster die face for next round or something.

Seconding this.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Revenge dice face which doubles against people who have hurt you this turn. Useful for spikey enemies, hexodia, and on passive-aggressive support classes.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

It's a bit underused but we do already have inflict-pain as a keyword, though really only on wanderer.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

If you did get isekai'd into your phone and became a slice and dice class what would be on your die

Statue. Without the HP.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Well, RIP my 40 turn run

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Huge Manatee
Mar 27, 2014
Thank you Slaan for reading my mind.

Unrelated, I cooked myself up a bullshit combo I've not managed before, putting cantrip onto boost sides. They can boost themselves, boost reroll sides, and if you can put cleave onto the boost it scales so crazily.

The Huge Manatee fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 10, 2022

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Tunicate posted:

Well, RIP my 40 turn run

yeah, as soon as you run into a summoner you can't merc immediately it's over. i'm still struggling away at that one. my pb is 46 which gave me the sub-50 turn run secret achievement too, which was a nice consolation prize

redleader fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 10, 2022

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
What is the point of terminal damage except for making it easier to make bandits run away?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

AnonSpore posted:

What is the point of terminal damage except for making it easier to make bandits run away?

There's an achievement. v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

AnonSpore posted:

You mean like the keyword terminal? You basically just have to pair it with another keyword that makes the extra damage worthwhile. Cleave, mana gain, self shield, etc.