Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Space Kablooey posted:

Does anyone remember this video posted on Vimeo about some space exploration in planets of our solar system.

Erik Wernquist's Wanderers:
https://vimeo.com/108650530
https://erikwernquist.com/wanderers

He's got more good stuff on his site, including a remastered version of that final shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
looking for a book I read as a kid about a family that moves to the country and adopts pigs, possibly because of a dog allergy? the eldest son is a smarty pants stock market wannabe and makes some sort of joke about "pork futures".

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Prolonged Panorama posted:

Erik Wernquist's Wanderers:
https://vimeo.com/108650530
https://erikwernquist.com/wanderers

He's got more good stuff on his site, including a remastered version of that final shot.

YES! I had completely blanked out and was looking for explorers and whatnot. Thanks!!

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
I remember when the Kanye West album My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy came out (or leaked?), someone on Vimeo made a couple of fan videos I liked a lot.

One was for Runaway, and it was just clips of people getting mad at Larry David from Curb Your Enthusiasm. The other was for All Of The Lights, and it used footage from the Gaspar Noe movie Enter The Void.

This was months before the official Hype Williams video, and all the controversy over him ripping off the Enter The Void titles. But the concept was so similar I have to assume Kanye himself saw this obscure Vimeo fanvid and wanted his own version. Anyway, I really want to watch it again, but have no idea where to even find it.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

e: nvm, managed to figure it out somehow

Kit Walker fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 3, 2022

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick
Don't kill me but I'm gonna repost my search froma year ago on the the Internet necromancy thread because I still think about this missing video all the time:

Pasketti posted:

something I saw once on youtube but might have been hosted elsewhere:
Footage from the 80's of a local broadcast channel showing a local band performance. Terrible camerawork, very cheesy stage. Exactly the kind of thing that Ghost's Secular Haze is parodying.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyQZ13jobIY
^The washed-out colors and crappy little stages here are exactly on point. Sound was way worse probably.

Anyway, In the video I'm thinking of, the genre was new-wave, band really trying hard with the visuals, shiny black formfitting clothes with wild hairstyles and lots of makeup, fingerless gloves, etc. The music was heavy on the synth with the singer kinda monotone I think. The standout was the drummer.
A very skinny androgenous drummer, standing at a single snare drum. Dancing while drumming a very basic rhythm on their singular snare. Kinda marching in place to the beat while wiggling their hips slowly from side to side. A sultry snake-like movement. Only, they can't dance and drum at the same time to save their life. Every 20 seconds or so, they loose their handle on one of their drumsticks and fumble it, and they have to go pick it up off the floor. Then back to dance-drumming for half a minute, oops they dropped it again. It just keeps happening for the entire song. I remember seeing it once and loosing my poo poo over it, and then never being able to find the video again. I feel like the title was just like, band name: song name,, but I have no clue what it would have been. It could have been staged for all I know, but I just loved the absurdity of it. A small town new wave band in the 80's trying to have their big break into stardom on local TV, but their drummer insists on dancing and keeps dropping the sticks.

I really really wanna see this drat video again...

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
My white whale will forever be a vhs copy or 2 of the edu-tainment classic "Beezbo's Adventures: How to Behave like a Human Being." Legend has it, a copy still might lurk I'm ones' local library. I'd go look for myself except I can't go back there, after what I Did. Turns out I could have used those manners after all.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
I’m trying to remember a children’s book it would have been out in the UK probably late 80s to early 90s.
There's a moderate chance it would have been a jackanory story, if not that it's the sort of book that would have been read by the teacher in primary school, roughly year 4 to year 6 in current school year dating (Was probably Lower Juniors to Upper Juniors in my 1980's CofE primary)

Plot points I can remember:

A child goes to a strange world and the first people they encounter are a seemingly sweet couple (man and woman, I think elderly) who lie all the time.

They encourage the child to lie too.

They encourage the child to tell little "white" lies.

There were "little white lies", which maybe weren't that bad and also "black lies" which were a lot worse(?)

The couple/whatever were trying to get the protagonist to lie to make bad things happen? Somehow the worse thing you lie about, it helps wake a monster or do something bad to the world?

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Mr Darcy posted:

I’m trying to remember a children’s book it would have been out in the UK probably late 80s to early 90s.
There's a moderate chance it would have been a jackanory story, if not that it's the sort of book that would have been read by the teacher in primary school, roughly year 4 to year 6 in current school year dating (Was probably Lower Juniors to Upper Juniors in my 1980's CofE primary)

Plot points I can remember:

A child goes to a strange world and the first people they encounter are a seemingly sweet couple (man and woman, I think elderly) who lie all the time.

They encourage the child to lie too.

They encourage the child to tell little "white" lies.

There were "little white lies", which maybe weren't that bad and also "black lies" which were a lot worse(?)

The couple/whatever were trying to get the protagonist to lie to make bad things happen? Somehow the worse thing you lie about, it helps wake a monster or do something bad to the world?

Rebecca's World?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

so here's one that isn't the usual sort of lost media business

i used to have this tool. idk where it came from, and i don't know where i lost it, but it was useful for the occasional weird task involving reaching into crevices

it was solid metal, cylindrical, maybe a foot long, knurled for grip along most of its surface.

one end had a small, non-sharpened hook, probably a quarter-inch or half-inch across, with a full half-circle bend

the other end was a small, flattened tongue, angled 45 degrees and split at the tip, of a similar size to the hook

it was almost certainly not a dental tool, the tool ends are far too large, blunt, and incorrectly shaped, though it has a certain vague similarity

what is it called, so I can get a new one?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Wilkins Micawber posted:

My white whale will forever be a vhs copy or 2 of the edu-tainment classic "Beezbo's Adventures: How to Behave like a Human Being." Legend has it, a copy still might lurk I'm ones' local library. I'd go look for myself except I can't go back there, after what I Did. Turns out I could have used those manners after all.

It's on youtube at least.

hexwren posted:

i used to have this tool. idk where it came from, and i don't know where i lost it, but it was useful for the occasional weird task involving reaching into crevices

it was solid metal, cylindrical, maybe a foot long, knurled for grip along most of its surface.

one end had a small, non-sharpened hook, probably a quarter-inch or half-inch across, with a full half-circle bend

the other end was a small, flattened tongue, angled 45 degrees and split at the tip, of a similar size to the hook

it was almost certainly not a dental tool, the tool ends are far too large, blunt, and incorrectly shaped, though it has a certain vague similarity

A button hook maybe?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
One of my earliest memories revolves around something I saw on TV. This would've been in the early 80s. I was too scared to see much of it, so I hid behind the couch and ate boogers instead. What I remember:

There's a brother and sister (preteens I think), both posses a magic stone or something
The stones are super delicate, I think one of the kids drops theirs and it's a "holy poo poo please don't be broken!!" moment
They are being pursued by monsters that I think were probably actors in black trash bags
They were in some orange/reddish orange place, like a desert. No grass or buildings or anything
One of the kids puts down their stone or places it somewhere and a beam of light comes out of it, making half an arch in the sky
The other kid gets grabbed by one of the monsters and struggles for a while. Eventually the kid throws their stone
The stone lands and a beam of light comes out of it. This beam of light bends toward the already existing half arch from the first stone, but can't quite make it, the light keeps falling back, then trying again to touch the first half arch. Eventually after a couple tries it makes it and the two half arches make a complete one
The good guys win?

It had a Dr Who vibe/aesthetic, or maybe Land of the Lost. I think about it once every couple of years and wonder what the hell it was

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

CPL593H posted:

A button hook maybe?
That sounds reasonable. The split tongue at the other end could then be something you shove under a button to protect your jacket while you're polishing the button (like brass ones on a uniform or something).

Alternatively, people use all sorts of weird implements while working with clay.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

hexwren posted:

Sounds like a pull and lifter spring hook

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/jonard-tools/M-130-SX/1383988

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

it is exactly that, which got posted just as i was posting about how it wasn't a button hook

e: .... what the gently caress are you supposed to use it for

hexwren fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 4, 2022

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Pulling and lifting springs.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

hexwren posted:

e: .... what the gently caress are you supposed to use it for

I found it by googling "hooked forked tool" so your guess is as good as mine. :v:

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

WHY BONER NOW posted:

One of my earliest memories revolves around something I saw on TV. This would've been in the early 80s. I was too scared to see much of it, so I hid behind the couch and ate boogers instead. What I remember:

There's a brother and sister (preteens I think), both posses a magic stone or something
The stones are super delicate, I think one of the kids drops theirs and it's a "holy poo poo please don't be broken!!" moment
They are being pursued by monsters that I think were probably actors in black trash bags
They were in some orange/reddish orange place, like a desert. No grass or buildings or anything
One of the kids puts down their stone or places it somewhere and a beam of light comes out of it, making half an arch in the sky
The other kid gets grabbed by one of the monsters and struggles for a while. Eventually the kid throws their stone
The stone lands and a beam of light comes out of it. This beam of light bends toward the already existing half arch from the first stone, but can't quite make it, the light keeps falling back, then trying again to touch the first half arch. Eventually after a couple tries it makes it and the two half arches make a complete one
The good guys win?

It had a Dr Who vibe/aesthetic, or maybe Land of the Lost. I think about it once every couple of years and wonder what the hell it was

Could this be Under The Mountain?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

HOLY poo poo! HOW??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiGEYzUIsmc&t=972s

Thank you!! I've been wondering about this for ~40 years!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

All right I'll bite there's a scene in Gundam where the dark Gundam destroys a house in a dream or some poo poo. I can't find it. I believe it was also trying to force somebody to go to the dark side and get in the dark gundam?

I'm sure someone will pull up the episode what I really wanted was how far I have to get into this loving thing to actually see that one scene

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

I don't think that's it.

I do remember reading Rebecca's World at some point and have no memory of lying being a major plot point. Special wood yes, lying no.

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mr Darcy posted:

I don't think that's it.

I do remember reading Rebecca's World at some point and have no memory of lying being a major plot point. Special wood yes, lying no.

It's not very helpful, but the whole "little white lies" and "black lies" part is so familiar to me. I remember the antagonist being so insistent the main character understand that "little white lies" were good, then later on someone else set them straight.

I've been wracking my brain, but nothing comes up.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Back when Yugos were a thing in the States--I want to say the late '80s, maybe '90--there was a song, or a novelty song, or just one of those things a radio talk show would play to kill time or something, that I still think about and cannot place. The male "singers" had kind of generic Indian or Middle Eastern style accents, not too cartoonish, but enough that they registered as foreign. The only lyrics I really remember were "Pump up the [car name], pump up the Corvette, pump up the Yugo--no, YOU go!" This first part was sung in a - - - _ ` sing-song way. (Actually, the "pump up the" reference might place this in '89 or '90, given "Pump Up the Jam" came out in August '89.) Then it went into a kind of faster riff sung in a rat-a-tat monotone.

Does this ring any bells with anybody else? This would have been in metro Detroit, if that helps at all.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

torgo posted:

It's not very helpful, but the whole "little white lies" and "black lies" part is so familiar to me. I remember the antagonist being so insistent the main character understand that "little white lies" were good, then later on someone else set them straight.

I've been wracking my brain, but nothing comes up.

I'm cross posting to the Book Barn. See if they have any ideas.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
My white whale has been found!

I've posted in various iterations of this thread, including this one about a song that I'd been trying to find for a decade. Years of searching, and no leads. I threw in the towel. But then, TIP had this bit of advice:

TIP posted:

Upload it to YouTube and if it's from any of the major labels you'll get a copyright claim on it within 24 hours that will tell you the song title and artist.

And so I did. I checked in every so often, but no leads. I forgot about it. I randomly decided to check today and found that answers had been found! Two years ago!

r/Lostwave had apparently been looking for it and discovered an archive.org link on Beidou, a Chinese message board of all places! It confirmed the band's name is "boa" and the song is indeed called "Money". Furthermore, "boa" is likely just the singer's stage name and that his real name is possibly Keith Benjamin, based on a contact e-mail address. He also looks like this:

They also found more songs!

boa - Always
boa - NYC
and from my original post: boa - Money

According to this, they're a local band from Rhode Island/Massachusetts from somewhere between 2001 and 2006. I'd love to know if they ever released more songs or even a physical version of this presumed EP.

But at the very least, I can now rest easy knowing that this song didn't just materialize out of the ether and that I have some answers after a decade of searching.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
I'm trying to find a 90s (probably) era comic that I picked up in high school and never got to finish. I think I picked this up out of a bargain bin in 2000 or 2001 at the very latest and it was an old-ish comic then. It's probably bad, but it stirred up some curiosity for me and I've never quite been able to let go of the idea.

The comic opens with got a framing story of a bunch of stock fantasy adventurers sitting around in a tavern, swapping stories and drinks while they wait for everyone to arrive (including a mysterious contact, I think).

The first story (or at least the one I remember) is a story about an ancient hero who was enchanted with a magic crystal in his chest, to be the champion of some forgotten god. The crystal would turn into magical armor and a sword when it was needed, when the world was in crisis, and then when the danger was over the crystal would put the hero into suspended animation until he was needed again. This hero is not Crystar, despite every attempt at Googling "crystal armor hero" telling me otherwise.

After many such cycles, the hero asked the god for release, and the next time he was put into suspended animation, he was found and awakened by some pretty lady, fell in love, settled down, etc, until (I think) they grew old and died together. But the crystal remained, waiting for a new hero and the next time it would be needed.

The story itself was not super good, though it was told in this appealing fake-myth style, and I like the Scheherazade-style way it lays up the next story, with another member of the adventuring party showing up and saying, "Oh, are you telling that old story again? Let me share a new one for once..."; I just want to see where it went.

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 8, 2022

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Here’s a recent one. I saw a woman last week in a blue sweatshirt with an illustration of an anthropomorphic frog in a shirt and pants reclining on a mushroom and facing the viewer, with one leg bent at the knee so as to create a triangle shape. The frog had either a wizard hat or a big floppy circular hat and was holding either a pipe or a magic wand raised in one hand. A single word in white text appeared behind the frog, I don’t remember the word, but it was something like “pleasurable” or “splendor.” The whole image had a kind of 60s counterculture feel, like with round loose lines. It wouldn’t look out of place airbrushed onto a van.

I’ve searched Urban Outfitters and don’t know where else to look for ironic women’s clothing. How could I find this image again?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I AM GRANDO posted:

Here’s a recent one. I saw a woman last week in a blue sweatshirt with an illustration of an anthropomorphic frog in a shirt and pants reclining on a mushroom and facing the viewer, with one leg bent at the knee so as to create a triangle shape. The frog had either a wizard hat or a big floppy circular hat and was holding either a pipe or a magic wand raised in one hand. A single word in white text appeared behind the frog, I don’t remember the word, but it was something like “pleasurable” or “splendor.” The whole image had a kind of 60s counterculture feel, like with round loose lines. It wouldn’t look out of place airbrushed onto a van.

I’ve searched Urban Outfitters and don’t know where else to look for ironic women’s clothing. How could I find this image again?
You can search for "frog mushroom tee" or similar and get pretty close, I think. This ticks a lot of your boxes, but not enough to be what you saw.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s very close, enough that I wonder if there is a common inspiration. The frog was much more anthropomorphic, but the word very well might have been “pleasing.” Thank you!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Upon further inspection, it appears to be some kind of makeup or perfume brand by Harry Styles. Very weird.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I AM GRANDO posted:

Upon further inspection, it appears to be some kind of makeup or perfume brand by Harry Styles. Very weird.
Not at all what I expected, but okay! I'm glad you found it.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Moai Ou posted:

My white whale has been found!

Great news.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

This was indeed it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2704537&pagenumber=189&perpage=40&userid=0#post527624081

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

I AM GRANDO posted:

Reminds me of a (now disappeared) McClellend pipe tobacco brand, the Frog Morton blends. I smoked lbs of the stuff a decade ago, even to the point that’s where my avatar is from :pipe:

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

There's an old video I can't find of Canadians spraying a bear in their backyard. I remember it being loving hilarious and one line is something like "He's eating the bear spray, it don't do poo poo!" or something along those lines. It's old as hell and I just can't find it.

Edit: They're either Canadians or Americans close to the border. They sound like they're from Fargo.

Edit 2: It's a black bear and it's just eating trash or something like that and the Canadians are yelling at it to get out of there.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 15, 2022

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Cowman posted:

There's an old video I can't find of Canadians spraying a bear in their backyard. I remember it being loving hilarious and one line is something like "He's eating the bear spray, it don't do poo poo!" or something along those lines. It's old as hell and I just can't find it.

Edit: They're either Canadians or Americans close to the border. They sound like they're from Fargo.

Edit 2: It's a black bear and it's just eating trash or something like that and the Canadians are yelling at it to get out of there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pLsM2ijRao

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Sounds just like letterkenny

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

YES PERFECT thank you so much. I kept searching for canadian sprays black bear and poo poo like that and it just wouldn't stop giving me instructional videos for how to use bear spray.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

In a way that's all that is too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
Here's one that's been bugging me for a long, long, time.

There's this SUPER obscure black metal band from Japan called Spitzenqualität. Supposedly, they have one album, self-released 2014 on cassette. I've heard songs that claim to be from that album on youtube, alongside songs that purport to be from other albums by the band (Rate Your Music lists as many as 3, discogs lists just the self-titled cassette.) I cannot find any of their recorded albums for the life of me. Supposedly, they had a bandcamp, since deleted. Discogs/RYM does not show any band lineup information or recording information in their entry for the band. The only place I've heard them mentioned is the (abandoned) blog of a one-man black metal record label, the place I first heard of them:

https://risingbeast.blogspot.com/2014/09/the-twilight-revue-sona-strange-angels.html

Outside of this, they don't appear to exist anywhere. Of the two people listed as owning the cassette on discogs, neither have it in their "for sale" section.

These are all the tracks by this band that I can find on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT_ARdffVXM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v3lJH6A_-E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBwa90lGds4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJHrQOa16-I

I just wanna listen to the drat thing, or find out if it even exists. I've posted to the lostmedia subreddit in an attempt to cover max possible ground

:shrug:

Edit: This has been solved! Crossposting to the black metal thread in the music form was the answer. A kind goon hooked me up. I can finally put this to rest.

magic cactus fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Nov 16, 2022