Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
SO can we finally put "learn to code!" to bed as a rebuttal to people having trouble finding work or find themselves phased out certain professions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Sagacity posted:

To be honest, I actually quite like that someone is willing to pour literally billions of dollars in developing VR. Sure, I don't care about the business VR aspect either, but having all this R&D can't hurt and if it leads to more immersive fart apps I'm all for it.
I can't imagine much useful research is getting done, given that furry VR is more advanced at this point.

BiggerBoat posted:

SO can we finally put "learn to code!" to bed as a rebuttal to people having trouble finding work or find themselves phased out certain professions?
No, it's still a great thing to yell at uppity blue-collar workers.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

PT6A posted:

We have a flight training device at work that's worth six figures, uses three very expensive projectors, and still makes a lot of compromises in terms of realism to do it. If you could do it in an Augmented VR space, you could do the same thing in a smaller physical space for a fraction of the cost, while providing greater realism. I think the money-making aspects of VR haven't even started to be fully explored, and I find it absolutely ridiculous that Meta's first inclination was to do poo poo that had no point and no one asked for.

If Meta was investing tens of billions into making VR tech for flight training, truck driver training, ship sailing and especially military hardware training Zuck would be being lauded as a genius, because it would legitimately have a very clear real world, profitable, endgame. Theres going to be massive money to made in VR for those applications, and in the quite near future too.

Instead for some reason Zuck is obsessed with remaking second life, its nuts. I'd love to hear a valid justification for why the investment has gone down that path instead of what appears to be the far more lucrative and useful (but still cutting edge / innovative) applications.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Blut posted:

If Meta was investing tens of billions into making VR tech for flight training, truck driver training, ship sailing and especially military hardware training Zuck would be being lauded as a genius, because it would legitimately have a very clear real world, profitable, endgame. Theres going to be massive money to made in VR for those applications, and in the quite near future too.

Honestly, that's what I see. Because it's absolutely brilliant for those things, in the way that nothing else can be, short of millions of dollars per device. Flying MSFS in VR mode has "disoriented" me in a way that a traditional simulator, even with a motion platform, never has, and it's absolutely the closest analogue to what happens in real life when you fly into the edge of a cloud.

And, with AR (not currently implemented) you need a cheap panel of buttons and switches that would maybe be a few hundred dollars to build?

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
It's really a huge mistake for meta, now that I realize it. They're trying to build another social media outlet when they could go all in on VR training and end up as a huge defense contractor with a solid chunk of basically every other industry.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Morrow posted:

It's really a huge mistake for meta, now that I realize it. They're trying to build another social media outlet when they could go all in on VR training and end up as a huge defense contractor with a solid chunk of basically every other industry.

A social media company turned defense contractor would be cyberpunk as hell.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Morrow posted:

Google and others tried this already (the AR thing for business/training particularly with google glasses) and it's not gone well.

So while I do agree that it's the likely first real commercially successful use it's not a new idea and not a sure thing. It's also not what Facecbook/Meta as a company does. So why would they be any good at it? Why would they be more likely to succeed at this that some other company, perhaps one formed with this goal in mind?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Motronic posted:

Google and others tried this already (the AR thing for business/training particularly with google glasses) and it's not gone well.

So while I do agree that it's the likely first real commercially successful use it's not a new idea and not a sure thing. It's also not what Facecbook/Meta as a company does. So why would they be any good at it? Why would they be more likely to succeed at this that some other company, perhaps one formed with this goal in mind?

They aren't, but it's slightly more likely that they'll succeed in doing something they haven't done before but has an actual point, rather than doing something they haven't done before which is useless. At least in the former case, they only have a complete lack of experience working against them, whereas in the latter case they have to deal with that all the same, plus trying to sell the world's least useful product.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Motronic posted:

I'm not sure anyone's tried AR/VR at the same time though. AR on its own is not great. But, AR used to place physical objects in VR (currently used for controllers, so it's not impossible) is the missing link for these roles.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PT6A posted:

They aren't, but it's slightly more likely that they'll succeed in doing something they haven't done before but has an actual point, rather than doing something they haven't done before which is useless.

This is entirely fair, but not exactly a glowing review. Yes, they have money, but there's lot of money looking for the next big thing - and that money seems to think it's not them.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Reality Labs is researching all sorts of things, it doesn't all trickle down to Horizon. Right now Zuck's keeping the best demos to himself but I'm sure they'll find sufficiently evil uses

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

When tech bros reach a certain level of success their brains break and they genuinely believe they are a character in a sci fi movie, pioneering the future. What they don't realize is they are usually identifying with the villain character and world domination plots don't work if the core conceit is joining a VR meeting with your cartoon coworkers.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Isn't r&d at Facebook making a video deepfake machine?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
They've become experts at faking leg. Their dataset? Wikifeet.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Motronic posted:

Which sucks for them because we're in the market for AR devices for training and letting workers working on validated system access SOPs while doing the work. We have multiple trials going on and Google Alphabet isn't even in the discussion.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
Google glass wasn't AR in any meaningful way, just an always-there screen.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

So now Elon has required that any work-from-home requests have to be vetted by him personally. To rephrase slightly, he's about to lose the other half of his workforce, and either he still doesn't understand what the word "delegation" means or he knows that every under him hates him so much they'll instantly ignore every policy he sets. Or both.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
He's always been laughably anti remote work. It goes against his slavery/colonialism mindset where he wants indentured servants chained to the desk/mars rocks/etc.

Reality would like a word but we'll get there when he backtracks in a month or shuts down Twitter before 2023.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
You, an idiot a week ago: Tanking upfronts is the dumbest thing Elon could do
You, an idiot a few days ago: Payfor verification without actually verifying anything is the dumbest thing Elon could do
Me, very intelligent today: Picking a losing battle with the FTC is the dumbest thing Elon could do
https://twitter.com/CaseyNewton/status/1590724259114291201
https://twitter.com/CaseyNewton/status/1590725083294990336

(Jokes aside: This is an almost unfathomably bad idea for no gain whatsoever)

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

pumpinglemma posted:

So now Elon has required that any work-from-home requests have to be vetted by him personally.
The guy keeps underestimating simple tasks, he'll go "ughhh nevermind" the second he sees a queue of more than ten requests

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Tech Nightmares: an almost unfathomably bad idea for no gain whatsoever

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ruffian Price posted:

The guy keeps underestimating simple tasks, he'll go "ughhh nevermind" the second he sees a queue of more than ten requests

He did the same thing at Tesla. It's most likely just code for "nobody gets to work from home unless Elon already knows their name and personally likes them, or unless they can get one of Elon's favorite flunkies to appeal to him on their behalf".

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
No time like the present for Meta or Google to launch a Twitter clone and succeed. I mean it might not succeed but there's probably not going to be a better opportunity to try.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Paracaidas posted:

You, an idiot a week ago: Tanking upfronts is the dumbest thing Elon could do
You, an idiot a few days ago: Payfor verification without actually verifying anything is the dumbest thing Elon could do
Me, very intelligent today: Picking a losing battle with the FTC is the dumbest thing Elon could do
https://twitter.com/CaseyNewton/status/1590725083294990336

(Jokes aside: This is an almost unfathomably bad idea for no gain whatsoever)

Not afraid of the FTC, is afraid of keeping people around to ensure compliance with FTC.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Paracaidas posted:

Twitter’s CISO, chief privacy office, and chief compliance officer all resigned last night
:sickos:

How bad does it have to be for the chief privacy officer of a social media company to resign in protest? That's like the chief face-eating officer of the leopards-eating-faces party stepping down in protest over the high volume of recent face-eatings.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Owling Howl posted:

No time like the present for Meta or Google to launch a Twitter clone and succeed. I mean it might not succeed but there's probably not going to be a better opportunity to try.
Name the last successful social-media launch from Google.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Name the first successful social-media launch from Google.
yes, I know, :thejoke:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

he's choosing to blame the nebulous, shadowy woke activist enemies of free speech which only exist in his head for collapsing revenue, instead of accepting that his largest customers (big companies with advertising budgets) are staying away from his dumpster fire website

Yeah, this is basically Walt Disney blaming communists for unionization efforts rather than his own lovely policies.

By the way, the pictures from the 1941 Animator's Strike are amazing. Do check them out.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
Binance has decided not to bail out FTX, after very brief due-diligence: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-63577783

quote:

Binance said reports of "mishandled customer funds and alleged US agency investigations" had swayed its decision not to buy FTX.

The Reuters news agency reported that the US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) was investigating FTX's handling of customer funds and its crypto-lending activities.

The markets regulator is also examining whether the platform has broken securities laws with regards to how it has handled customer assets.

Binance said in a statement posted on Twitter that the issues facing FTX were "beyond our control or ability to help".

A notice on its website said: "FTX is currently unable to process withdrawals. We strongly advise against depositing."

I especially love the fact that they could just, you know, suspend deposits as well as withdrawals, but they left the door open for any idiots and put up a big "Don't do this" sign instead.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Owling Howl posted:

Google has enough messaging apps please no more i beg you

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Owling Howl posted:

Twitter has never actually made money so why would anyone want to do that?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Paracaidas posted:

yes, I know, :thejoke:
YouTube essentially became one, sorta. That's the route that could work for Google imo. Make something that's useful for its utility first, then make it social later.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ruffian Price posted:

Some people will just ignore him, especially if they don't work in the same build he's showing up to (if he's even showing up to one). What'll he do, fire them? He'd have to take a break from killing Twitter to do that and it's not like their job's secure even if they do as he says.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Cicero posted:

YouTube essentially became one, sorta. That's the route that could work for Google imo. Make something that's useful for its utility first, then make it social later.

Except that YouTube comments are a notorious hellhole.

Honestly, I think the only successful Google social media offering was Gmail. Back when there were interoperable messenger protocols, Google Chat was fine.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Big Hubris posted:

Anyone who's saying you're wrong is wrong.

Of Wikipedia and Google, Wikipedia is far more corrosive to society.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

https://mobile.twitter.com/logoffplease/status/1586631101384359937

Watch Season 3 ep 1 of blowback people.

https://mobile.twitter.com/logoffplease/status/1586631631473086464

Jimbo is a billionaire and doesn't need your money.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 10, 2022

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Except that YouTube comments are a notorious hellhole.
It's not nearly as bad as it was, ever since they made some visibility changes. Nowadays it's probably no more hellhole-y than the other social media platforms.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the citation very clearly supports the quote. did you post it without reading the source? bottom of the left column is where the relevant part starts. it states the UN attempted to set up all-korean elections but were blocked from doing so by the soviet union.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

YouTube does a lot better than other platforms in getting rid of egregious comments. The “kill urself” type of thing gets removed pretty quickly these days.

Their main problem now is spammy comments and lol that they still haven’t solved for some guy pretending to be the uploaded and commenting “hey transfer crypto into this account heh”

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

All efforts to reduce junk messages and scams happening on your platform are commendable, but people fall for iTunes gift card scams all day long because it arrived in an email, where if you posted them a letter or turned up at their door and tried the same thing they'd work out that it was obviously a con. You can only get to a certain level with technology, do people just assume that if it got as far as being displayed on their screen that it's passed through filters and is kosher?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Twitter has never actually made money so why would anyone want to do that?

Twitter made money when its shareholders sold it to a bigger idiot for 44 billion dollars. Working as intended.