Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

joat mon posted:

How do you take them off? Where? Where do they go from there? Where do the weapons go? How does this cost compare to the cost of paying a ransom or replacing a crew?

buy ar15s in florida, convert them to full auto out on the open sea, then when you absolutely MUST go somewhere with laws,

I don't claim to know what pirates charge for ransom these days, but cargo ship operating costs can exceed $100k/day before fuel; throwing a few dozen $500-2000 guns into international waters every few months is not actually that expensive in context

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Javid posted:

buy ar15s in florida, convert them to full auto out on the open sea, then when you absolutely MUST go somewhere with laws,

I don't claim to know what pirates charge for ransom these days, but cargo ship operating costs can exceed $100k/day before fuel; throwing a few dozen $500-2000 guns into international waters every few months is not actually that expensive in context

A safe and legal thrill! (note: may not be legal, I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice)

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Sure just give the sharks guns, what could possibly go wrong.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Javid posted:

Never in my loving life did I expect "I lost my ar in a boating accident" to be a math checks out in the law thread idea.

Not saying you're wrong, just... ugh gently caress so in gun circles it's assumed that the guberment is coming for your guns and "oops I lost it in a boating accident" is the default nod and a wink at hiding them and not turning them in.

I'm gonna go drink some more.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Trapick posted:

Sure just give the sharks guns, what could possibly go wrong.

Sharks lol

It's the dolphins you need to worry about.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Question for the legal thread: consent decrees are basically optional right?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

No

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I am a free corp on the land and I DO NOT CONSENT TO YOUR DECREE!

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Question for the legal thread: consent decrees are basically optional right?

They can't force you to sign the consent decree (hence the consent) but once you've signed it has its own terms which govern, often overseen by a court

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consent_decree

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

So, there's a guy, fail race, on YouTube who seems to have pioneered an entirely new way of playing GTA 5. He and his friends set up in a bunch of cars, he gets a head start, and he needs to make it 24 in game hours without being caught and killed. It's really fun, compelling to watch, and I'm wondering what The implications would be (if any) if Rockstar games were to make an official version of this game mode.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that there must be something in the terms of service that says Rockstar basically owns everything about the game, including new ways of playing it. So, if they want to come up with their own version of survive the hunt, and monetize it, they wouldn't owe the inventor of the game mode a dime.

Would this need to be spelled out in the terms of service? Or is it kind of implicit that if someone else invents a new way of playing the game, because it's your IP, you effectively own it even though you didn't come up with it.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

null_pointer posted:

So, there's a guy, fail race, on YouTube who seems to have pioneered an entirely new way of playing GTA 5. He and his friends set up in a bunch of cars, he gets a head start, and he needs to make it 24 in game hours without being caught and killed. It's really fun, compelling to watch, and I'm wondering what The implications would be (if any) if Rockstar games were to make an official version of this game mode.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that there must be something in the terms of service that says Rockstar basically owns everything about the game, including new ways of playing it. So, if they want to come up with their own version of survive the hunt, and monetize it, they wouldn't owe the inventor of the game mode a dime.

Would this need to be spelled out in the terms of service? Or is it kind of implicit that if someone else invents a new way of playing the game, because it's your IP, you effectively own it even though you didn't come up with it.

I don't think you can copyright a series of rules to make a game (regardless of whether that game is conducted inside another game)

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/..._copyright_law/

quote:

Game Rules Are Not Copyrightable

Section 102(b) of the Copyright Act states: “In no case does copyright protection for an original work of authorship extend to any idea, procedure, process, system, method of operation, concept, principle, or discovery, regardless of the form in which it is described, explained, illustrated, or embodied in such work.”1 In using the word “or,” the statute lists these exclusions—ideas, procedures, processes, systems, methods of operation, concepts, principles, or discoveries—disjunctively. Thus, each has independent force and effect. This means that neither ideas nor functional elements—such as procedures, processes, systems, or methods of operation—are copyrightable.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

null_pointer posted:

Rules to a game basically don’t have IP protection. The exact text of a rulebook can be copyrighted, but if someone wants to make a game with the same rules but described differently, that’s fine. See DotA and LoL for example.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Okay, I really wasn't expecting that answer, and now I'm wondering how you copyright a board game. If you're not able to copyright the rules, what exactly is your IP?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Phrasing, art, fluff, trademarks, brand names.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
What about the pieces? Can you protect a specific aspect of their design that's integral to gameplay?

I'm thinking for something like Jenga, the pieces are intentionally different sizes because the game would otherwise be impossible. It's not just a bunch of identical rectangular blocks, because that wouldn't be very playable. They have to be slightly different from each other so that, when stacked, you have gaps between pieces that allow you to take them out.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

DaveSauce posted:

What about the pieces? Can you protect a specific aspect of their design that's integral to gameplay?

I'm thinking for something like Jenga, the pieces are intentionally different sizes because the game would otherwise be impossible. It's not just a bunch of identical rectangular blocks, because that wouldn't be very playable. They have to be slightly different from each other so that, when stacked, you have gaps between pieces that allow you to take them out.

Buddy, when you google Jenga Pieces it's gonna fuckin' blow your mind

Edit: oh you're talking about the minute differences, that would be patent, if anything

Edit 2: Here's Jenga's patent

https://patents.google.com/patent/US5611544A/en

Devor fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 10, 2022

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

null_pointer posted:

Okay, I really wasn't expecting that answer, and now I'm wondering how you copyright a board game. If you're not able to copyright the rules, what exactly is your IP?

Companies actually release reskinned versions of board games pretty commonly. There are multiple card games that are just Dominion with different art. People sell Magic cubes (boxes of several thousand cards) that just have renamed mechanics/cards/different art. Fantasy Flight lost the licensing to Battlestar Galactica, so just reskinned the game as Cthulhu.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

DaveSauce posted:

Not with copyright. In vastly oversimplified terms the function of a physical object must be decorative, not functional, to obtain a copyright on it.

If you want IP protection for functionality you're looking at patents, which are...hard to get...for game pieces.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

You can also find very sad ripoffs of 'Sorry' and 'Trouble' at discount stores. I once bought 'Frustration' because it was cheap.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Trapick posted:

I once bought 'Frustration' because it was cheap.

Haven't we all

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
How we do it with stuff in my field is you leave out instructions to make one of the reagents. Then label the black box reagent as something stupid and call it a brand name. Then base your entire protocol on using this brand name reagent and have all your grad students publish as many papers as they can using that protocol. Doesn't seem to matter if the protocol is better than what's already available.

That specific reagent gets some kind of patent and people have to come to you for it until it gets reverse engineered by some frustrated person on researchgate.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Yeah IP protection in biotech is a totally different question.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

euphronius posted:

I didn’t see the movie but the Somalis were in no way the “bad guys” in that whole episode

Paying the ransom was usually very small and was paid as a matter of course

The un started getting mad about it and the nations got together and the UNSC actually did something “constructive” about the situation.

The majority of the people arrested by the UNSC naval effort were actually fishermen, pirates just captured dhows and used those as motherships to sail beyond the patrols. Eventually local governments banned pirates from their land bases ( because they scared away the merchants) and that mostly ended them.

PawParole fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Nov 11, 2022

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

null_pointer posted:

This was a big deal for DotA2 incidentally since the IP involved started exactly the same way, a game made inside another game.

https://www.eurogamer.net/blizzard-and-valve-settle-dota-trademark-disagreement

Although that kind of hunted vs hunter thing has been happening as a game within a game in other places; there's several Minecraft videos with the same concept.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

euphronius posted:

I mean it was In the Somali case basically a tax or tariff .

Not all piracy is as justified as that case I guess

Lol yes, taxing vessels in international waters. At gunpoint. No problems here at all.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Muir posted:

Rules to a game basically don’t have IP protection. The exact text of a rulebook can be copyrighted, but if someone wants to make a game with the same rules but described differently, that’s fine. See DotA and LoL for example.

This is part of the reason why roller derby used to be a fake sport: the promoter who invented it got mad that he couldn’t copyright the rules of the sport, so he turned it into a “theatrical presentation” and started suing other promoters for infringing upon his “play.”

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

evilweasel posted:

Not with copyright. In vastly oversimplified terms the function of a physical object must be decorative, not functional, to obtain a copyright on it.

If you want IP protection for functionality you're looking at patents, which are...hard to get...for game pieces.

That's kinda fascinating. I avoided the word patent because I wasn't sure where this would fall in the scheme of IP protections. I suppose I could have also used an example like the game Mousetrap or something, which apparently was also patented.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Any chance of piercing the corporate veil on Musk?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Harold Fjord posted:

Any chance of piercing the corporate veil on Musk?

Nah. You’d have to go through multiple layers of control to do that, and each one is definitely structured in the legal way to shield musk and his coinvestors. When twitter goes belly up the banks will just be left holding the bag for their debt and elon et al will be out whatever they put in that hasn’t been recouped.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Lol yes, taxing vessels in international waters. At gunpoint. No problems here at all.

It wasn’t always international waters

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Nah. You’d have to go through multiple layers of control to do that, and each one is definitely structured in the legal way to shield musk and his coinvestors.

He fired all those.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Harold Fjord posted:

He fired all those.

Nah he fired Twitter’s lawyers. He paid other lawyers a lot of money to draft up the corporate structure docs and presumably other investors have had input.

Apartheid Clyde may not have much respect for federal regulators, but he does at least give the fig leaf that is required by the American legal system to limit ownership liability. For example, even if they are wholly controlled, all his public companies have boards of directors that go through the proper quarterly motions to ensure he and all other owners get shielded from liability.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

euphronius posted:

It wasn’t always international waters

“Territorial waters”

If that means the EEZ those are international waters. I highly doubt any of these vessels are coming within 12 miles of the coast. Either way lol at thinking piracy is ok.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Disney has made a lot of money with movies featuring pirates as heros for example . Piracy is generally accepted. It is more honorable then being a ceo or whatever

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I’m gonna pirate your rear end

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I’m gonna pirate your rear end

I've seen that film but I don't think disney made it

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Nah he fired Twitter’s lawyers. He paid other lawyers a lot of money to draft up the corporate structure docs and presumably other investors have had input.

Apartheid Clyde may not have much respect for federal regulators, but he does at least give the fig leaf that is required by the American legal system to limit ownership liability. For example, even if they are wholly controlled, all his public companies have boards of directors that go through the proper quarterly motions to ensure he and all other owners get shielded from liability.

Who are the board of directors now that our boy has taken Twitter private? People are saying Twitter/Elon is/are already in violation of the FTC consent decree for not timely filing the transfer of ownership paperwork. Introduction of new features without a written infosec plan is also a violation of that decree.

If he's violating the law as CEO, can't he become personally liable like that ice cream exec who's going to do time for poisoning all those people?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Local admiralty law

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Trapick posted:

You can also find very sad ripoffs of 'Sorry' and 'Trouble' at discount stores. I once bought 'Frustration' because it was cheap.

The divorce, on the other hand...

Hyper Inferno posted:

Although that kind of hunted vs hunter thing has been happening as a game within a game in other places; there's several Minecraft videos with the same concept.

I feel like there's been precedent set here in The Running Man, as a recent example.

BonerGhost posted:

If he's violating the law as CEO, can't he become personally liable like that ice cream exec who's going to do time for poisoning all those people?

No, he's too wealthy to prosecute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

BonerGhost posted:

Who are the board of directors now that our boy has taken Twitter private?
Musk is the sole director.

As far as divvying up the financial pain:

- Musk is out $20 billion in simple plain "sell stock, get money, use money to buy twitter", then another $6.25 billion in personal bank loans with Tesla stock as collateral. That's all spent for Twitter shares already. He has enough Tesla stock that's still priced high enough that the banks issuing those personal loans are likely to get paid.

- A bunch of not-very-smart banks threw $13 billion into the acquisition as leveraged buyout funding. New Twitter owes that money now (that's the ~$1billion/year interest figure that's kicked around) and those banks get first dibs in bankruptcy. They will still probably lose money because Twitter's not going to meet that interest payments, and the wreckage of the company won't be worth anywhere close to that.

- A bunch of other individual investors (Saudis, etc...) spent $7 billion and probably won't get much back