Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Digging through this thread's archives, everybody seemed really positive about Rise of the TMNT when it came out. I know I was.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm so surprised at how good Rise of the TMNT is. Everything from the animation to the color palette to the framing of the shots to the dialogue is great. I had my doubts when I first saw the new designs and the whole magic weapons and magic pet dog, I thought they were going to be stupid edgey, but instead it's stupid stupid, which works really well. Even their new take on Splinter is growing on me. I never knew I wanted a Danny DeVito/Jackie Chan hybrid until it was presented to me. April's also a lot stronger of a character than she was in the last series, and I don't really miss Shredder.

I'm still not entirely sure how to describe Leo's dynamic, but I think he may be the Hot Rod to Raph's Ultra Magnus? I really love Raph as the leader though, he's just a big galoot full of love for his family.

I feel like the turtles developed past the point where it was easy to define each of them in one simple line, but Leo being the silly one does step on Michelangelo's bit, although they're silly in different ways. I think Leo in the CGI TMNT series might have also started on that path by going on his own adventures apart from the rest of the team instead of with the team, leading. It's definitely a change of pace from repeating Raphael being the Wolverine to Leonardo's Cyclops again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I also really enjoyed Rise. That finale was insane.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I still find it vaguely amusing that 2 voice actors from 12 essentially swapped places when they were put in Rise (Eric Bauza went from voicing Tigerclaw, a villain, to being Splinter, while Hoon Lee, who voiced Splinter, became the new Shredder voice).

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

gonna prepare for halloween by putting on Scooby Doo on Zombie Island :dance:

legit can't remember the last time i saw it. probably at least 10 years. i maintain this is still the best scooby doo related incarnation to date

edit: wait, sorry. let me amend that to, being tied with mystery inc. as the best scooby doo related incarnation to date

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 29, 2022

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It's a lush, spooky OVA

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I love the Scooby Doo theme at the start. :allears:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Sounds ok like it's loving Terror Time Again

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

It's a lush, spooky OVA

you just also incidentally reminded me to watch Ghost Stories as well!

The_Doctor posted:

I love the Scooby Doo theme at the start. :allears:

one of the things that makes this movie amazing is the killer soundtrack. both "the ghost is here" and "it's terror time" are absolute bangers :rock:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Every time they had someone record the Scooby Doo theme for a movie it always turned out a banger.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I recall Third Eye Blind and Billy Ray Cyrus having done so (and Simple Plan for the What's New show) but no other groups/artists come to mind

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Trick or treat scoobie Doobie was pretty silly. Enjoyed it!

I wish Velma all the luck with Coco and Fred all the luck getting mysteries

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

so i sort of lied. i said i was gonna watch zombie island yesterday but alas, certain issues arose that made it difficult to watch. but fortunately i was able to rectify that by watching it tonight!

like i said earlier, i haven't watched this in a long rear end time, but watching it again, i'm very pleased to say it's aged like fine wine. the movie is more than 20 years old now and the animation is still nigh perfect. it's lush, vivid, with beautiful backdrops and very nice shading with very fluid animation. the soundtrack still kicks rear end, and the plot and overall story are both well crafted.

something i didn't know was that this was handled by veterans who worked on S.W.A.T. Kats and The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest. this actually makes a lot of sense because the movie was animated by Mook, who did the animation for the second seasons of both shows (the human designs were very reminiscient of the characters in johnny quest, while the monster/zombie designs were similar to SK). also, apparently the script for the movie was based off a planned episode of SK, which is where the cat theme apparently came from :monocle: it seems it was a genuine passion project for a lot these guys. :unsmith:

i'm not someone who would consider himself a fan of the scooby doo franchise in general, but ZI is top tier poo poo.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I think ZI did more to reinvigorate the franchise than the Live Action movie.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Finally caught up on Hilda and look forward to more though I’m not really sure what the last season is going to do considering as far as I know there aren’t any more books to adapt and one of the central conflicts of the series (the trolls) was resolved in the movie.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

any of you see the (apparently) new Are You Afraid of the Dark series? showed up on my netflix feed. only watched 10 mins last night but got side tracked with some other stuff. is it any good?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
It's very young adult and I get the sense it's trying to be like Stranger Things but even more for kids. Each season is about a different Midnight Society facing a different ghost, and barely has them telling each other stories. Not scary at all, and I wouldn't say it was worth a watch. You might want to watch Midnight Club on Netflix instead.

There was a highlight or two that I enjoyed but eh--it was funny for five minutes when they faced off against a shadow monster that was weak to light, and they appropriated different light sources as weapons: flashlight as a sword, a light on a string as a flail, a streamer's ring light as a shield, christmas lights wrapped around fists, and a stage magic floating orb of light as... a mage's floating orb of light.

Oh, also, they recast Sardo then in the series finale they gave him a childhood flashback and we see him being raised by the original Mr Sardo.

edit: I forgot I was in the kids' show thread, not a horror thread. It's fine as a kid's show but I don't think it's worth a watch for adults

Argue fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Nov 1, 2022

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I was going to say that I enjoyed The Mysterious Benedict Society series on D+, as a fan of the original books. I don't really mind the changes made, and I like the vaguely Wes Anderson-y visual retro 60s/70s style they're going for with everything.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Argue posted:

It's very young adult and I get the sense it's trying to be like Stranger Things but even more for kids. Each season is about a different Midnight Society facing a different ghost, and barely has them telling each other stories. Not scary at all, and I wouldn't say it was worth a watch. You might want to watch Midnight Club on Netflix instead.

There was a highlight or two that I enjoyed but eh--it was funny for five minutes when they faced off against a shadow monster that was weak to light, and they appropriated different light sources as weapons: flashlight as a sword, a light on a string as a flail, a streamer's ring light as a shield, christmas lights wrapped around fists, and a stage magic floating orb of light as... a mage's floating orb of light.

Oh, also, they recast Sardo then in the series finale they gave him a childhood flashback and we see him being raised by the original Mr Sardo.

edit: I forgot I was in the kids' show thread, not a horror thread. It's fine as a kid's show but I don't think it's worth a watch for adults

aw lame. sounds pretty disappointing (which is what i kind of got from the first 10 mins, but still good to get confimation)

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Mr Interweb posted:

so i sort of lied. i said i was gonna watch zombie island yesterday but alas, certain issues arose that made it difficult to watch. but fortunately i was able to rectify that by watching it tonight!

like i said earlier, i haven't watched this in a long rear end time, but watching it again, i'm very pleased to say it's aged like fine wine. the movie is more than 20 years old now and the animation is still nigh perfect. it's lush, vivid, with beautiful backdrops and very nice shading with very fluid animation. the soundtrack still kicks rear end, and the plot and overall story are both well crafted.

something i didn't know was that this was handled by veterans who worked on S.W.A.T. Kats and The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest. this actually makes a lot of sense because the movie was animated by Mook, who did the animation for the second seasons of both shows (the human designs were very reminiscient of the characters in johnny quest, while the monster/zombie designs were similar to SK). also, apparently the script for the movie was based off a planned episode of SK, which is where the cat theme apparently came from :monocle: it seems it was a genuine passion project for a lot these guys. :unsmith:

i'm not someone who would consider himself a fan of the scooby doo franchise in general, but ZI is top tier poo poo.

Art style also looks very close to Batman the Animated Series and there was some staff shared between the two productions.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Billiam reviewed every Scooby Doo crossover. Kinda neat if you want some deep Scoob lore.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_k2_86dvFw

I knew that a lot of Scooby Doo's crossovers in Hannah Barbera's heyday were with properties that HB also owned, but I didn't realize that also extended to a number of celebrities that had easily forgotten licensed Hannah Barbera cartoons. Also the 2020 Scoob! movie was originally planned to be a broader Hannah Barbera thing.

I got around to watching the Scooby Courage the Cowardly Dog movie when I saw this, and honestly I think I disagree with Billiam. It really doesn't capture enough of Courage the Cowardly Dog's surreal weirdness to do it justice. It's a lot of references without the original spirit.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Billiam reviewed every Scooby Doo crossover. Kinda neat if you want some deep Scoob lore.

I knew that a lot of Scooby Doo's crossovers in Hannah Barbera's heyday were with properties that HB also owned, but I didn't realize that also extended to a number of celebrities that had easily forgotten licensed Hannah Barbera cartoons. Also the 2020 Scoob! movie was originally planned to be a broader Hannah Barbera thing.

I got around to watching the Scooby Courage the Cowardly Dog movie when I saw this, and honestly I think I disagree with Billiam. It really doesn't capture enough of Courage the Cowardly Dog's surreal weirdness to do it justice. It's a lot of references without the original spirit.

It probably lacked some of the original spirit because the original creator wasn't inovlved. Otoh, the original creator was one of the many people who had their brains broken by Covid and lockdowns and probably for the best he wasn't involved.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

It probably lacked some of the original spirit because the original creator wasn't inovlved. Otoh, the original creator was one of the many people who had their brains broken by Covid and lockdowns and probably for the best he wasn't involved.

What'd he do? I know he's done some Dirdy Birdy cartoon or something after Courage but I haven't heard anything past that.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

What'd he do? I know he's done some Dirdy Birdy cartoon or something after Courage but I haven't heard anything past that.

He's not really loud on Twitter about it so I'm exaggerating a little about whose brain broke, but there's the occasional conspiracy stuff that he has linked to buried among his various animation stuff like this
https://twitter.com/DillyDilworth/status/1374146480651563011

It's probably more on the level of vaccine/lockdown skepticism but it's very quiet.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

He's not really loud on Twitter about it so I'm exaggerating a little about whose brain broke, but there's the occasional conspiracy stuff that he has linked to buried among his various animation stuff like this
https://twitter.com/DillyDilworth/status/1374146480651563011

It's probably more on the level of vaccine/lockdown skepticism but it's very quiet.

I actually clicked through this (on Incognito Mode...on my VPN...not signed into ANYTHING) just to se what the gently caress it's about. Holy poo poo it's bad.

Then I went through the comments on the YouTube video it links and there's nothing but mass hysteria and mass insanity. I think 2020 brought out the worst in a lot of mentally ill people.

It's really sad that Dilworth is peddling this but luckily no one's really listening to him it seems.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

after watching zombie island, i'm on a bit of a scooby doo bender myself. currently watching scooby doo! camp scare. it's not particularly amazing but that's totally fine as i'm still enjoying it. a lot of these SD films are enjoyable just in the comfort food sense.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Interweb posted:

after watching zombie island, i'm on a bit of a scooby doo bender myself. currently watching scooby doo! camp scare. it's not particularly amazing but that's totally fine as i'm still enjoying it. a lot of these SD films are enjoyable just in the comfort food sense.

Camp Scare is fun, but I can't help but feel whomever did Daphne's design for the flick was in a thirsty mood.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

https://twitter.com/thewookieeroars/status/1591083078268514309?s=46&t=2MhmohSYi5yS3Nus_8lETg

RIP to a legend. :smith:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's a kid's movie, so figured I'd bring it up here - did anyone see Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile? I went to see it the other day and thought it was a lot of fun. Also RIP kevin Conroy.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In other news, the AtLA animated movie apparently won’t be out for another 3 years (but just in time for the show’s 20th anniversary):

https://avatarnews.co/post/700581553698439168/breaking-avatar-studios-first-animated-movie

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 11, 2022

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

what the poo poo?? it was reported earlier in the day and i'm JUST finding out?? the guy WAS batman for me. R.I.P. :smith:

edit: he was 66, and looks like cancer was the cause. goddamn it :(

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1594524432856481794

Looks like Bob Chapek got the boot finally.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Covok posted:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1594524432856481794

Looks like Bob Chapek got the boot finally.

When you suck so badly you make Bob Iger look like a hero for coming in to replace you.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
would this make any difference in disney's creative output or is it all bookkeeping stuff

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Oxxidation posted:

would this make any difference in disney's creative output or is it all bookkeeping stuff

Ask the creator of Amphibia:

https://twitter.com/Radrappy/status/1594554474961735680?s=20&t=2-QjCMgarA1aCVTY2pwhvw

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Yeah, like didn't DuckTales, Amphibia, and The Owl House, the one-time tentpole series of Disney Animation, all start under Iger and then were promptly murdered under Chapek? I can see Disney wanting to try and shore up its animation bona fides in the wake of David "I loving hate animation" Zaslav's tax evasion massacre at Warner Bros., and having a guy like Bob "I ALSO hate animation" Chapek at the helm of a company known the world over as the #1 name in animation probably wasn't a good way to achieve that goal, so out the door he goes.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Is the Darkwing Duck reboot dead as well?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Andrew_1985 posted:

Is the Darkwing Duck reboot dead as well?

Not sure, haven’t heard a peep about it since the initial announcement a while back (I know it’s been handled by a different team than Ducktales was though and likely won’t keep any of the lore that show set up)

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, like didn't DuckTales, Amphibia, and The Owl House, the one-time tentpole series of Disney Animation, all start under Iger and then were promptly murdered under Chapek? I can see Disney wanting to try and shore up its animation bona fides in the wake of David "I loving hate animation" Zaslav's tax evasion massacre at Warner Bros., and having a guy like Bob "I ALSO hate animation" Chapek at the helm of a company known the world over as the #1 name in animation probably wasn't a good way to achieve that goal, so out the door he goes.

Actually Amphibia ended exactly where the creator wanted it to (I believe it was always planned to be 3 seasons), but that’s pretty much the case for the other two (in fact, I hear Dana had to bargain with Disney just to get the 3 specials we’re currently getting)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 21, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

E: Quote is not edit

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Probably cold comfort for Dana Terrace but at least it means that queer animation has a chance at Disney again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

Probably cold comfort for Dana Terrace but at least it means that queer animation has a chance at Disney again

It’s been confirmed multiple times that the LGBTQ stuff wasn’t the reason why TOH was cut short (Dana was pretty upfront about what she wanted from the beginning), also they got the news early in Season 2 so they had plenty of time to prepare for it at least