Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

also they're all allies now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Atrocious Joe posted:

Obama gave the Qataris carte blanche to hijack the Arab Spring and try to form a regional axis with the Turks to counter the Saudis and that only resulted in a lot of dead people and refugees at the end of the day.

lol no Obama literally said “I don’t care about the folks in Tahrir” and openly supported the Saudi-Israel-UAE axis of fascism to put down the only shot Arabs had at some form of transition away from totalitarian dictatorships. it’s not Qatar or turkeys fault people voted for Islamists in the few elections that happened.

Arabs clamoring and dying for democracy is not an American conspiracy.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/01/we-caved-obama-foreign-policy-legacy-213495/

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Biden vows to 'free Iran' in West Coast campaign speech.

quote:

OCEANSIDE, Calif. (Reuters) - U.S. President Joe Biden on Thursday vowed to "free" Iran, and said that demonstrators working against the country's government would soon succeed in freeing themselves.

"Don't worry, we're gonna free Iran. They’re gonna free themselves pretty soon," Biden said during a wide-ranging campaign speech in California, as dozens of demonstrators gathered outside holding banners supporting Iranian protesters.

Biden did not expand on his remarks or specify what additional actions he would take during the remarks at MiraCosta College near San Diego.

Ominous.

Although I am fairly sure it's merely grandstanding.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/angryarab15/status/1589259600490299392?t=jpVX3nDCKPMI_FzycmVaHw&s=19

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Qatar was on the leading edge of the effort to overthrow Gaddafi.

quote:

Thu 14 Apr 2011 20.36 EDT
President Barack Obama said the coalition acting to keep Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi from attacking his people would have been impossible without the support of the tiny Gulf Arab nation of Qatar.

"We would not have been able, I think, to shape the kind of broad-based international coalition that includes not only our Nato members but also includes Arab states, without the emir's leadership," Obama told reporters after a meeting in the Oval Office with Emir Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa al-Thani. "He is motivated by a belief that the Libyan people should have the rights and freedoms of all people."

Officials in Doha confirmed that the Gulf state is supplying anti-tank weapons to Libyan rebels in Benghazi as part of its strategy of working to overthrow the Gaddafi regime.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/apr/15/barack-obama-qatar-libya-gaddafi

It was also on the leading edge of the effort to overthrow Assad.

quote:

Roula Khalaf and Abigail Fielding-Smith MAY 17 2013
In the shell-blasted areas of rebel-held Syria, few appear to be aware of the vast sums that Qatar has contributed – estimated by rebel and diplomatic sources to be about $1bn, but put by people close to the Qatar government at as much as $3bn. However, a perception is taking root among growing numbers of Syrians that Qatar is using its financial muscle to develop networks of loyalty among rebels and set the stage for influence in a post-Assad era. “Qatar has a lot of money and buys everything with money, and it can put its fingerprints on it,” says a rebel officer from the northern province of Idlib interviewed by the FT.
Supporting the armed rebellion was the inevitable next stage of Qatar’s deepening involvement in Syria. By early 2012, as peaceful protests gave way to an armed opposition, Qatar was scouring around for light weaponry, buying arms in Libya and in eastern European states, and flying them to Turkey, where intelligence services helped deliver them across the border. At first, say people with direct knowledge of the arms shipments, Qatar worked through Turkish intelligence to identify recipients, and then, as Saudi Arabia joined the covert military effort, through Lebanese mediators. The Stockholm International Peace Research Institute, which tracks arms transfers, says that between April 2012 and March this year, more than 70 military cargo flights from Qatar landed in Turkey.
https://www.ft.com/content/f2d9bbc8-bdbc-11e2-890a-00144feab7de

The Qataris aligned with the Democrats, at least until their recent reconciliation with the Saudi leadership. Qatari money flowed to the Democrats' grifts and the Democrats gave them leeway to operate somewhat independently in the Middle East. Sort of a similar relationship the Bushes and the Trumps have with the Saudi royal family.

quote:

Clinton's charity confirms Qatar's $1 million gift while she was at State Dept
By Jonathan Allen

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The Clinton Foundation has confirmed it accepted a $1 million gift from Qatar while Hillary Clinton was U.S. secretary of state without informing the State Department, even though she had promised to let the agency review new or significantly increased support from foreign governments.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...t-idUSKBN12Z2SL

Obama preferred them to Saudi Arabia and the UAE, but they were all still US client states. Even with Trump and the "pro-Saudi faction" in office, his administration tried to contain and end the big rift that happened between Qatar and the rest of the GCC rather than let them crush Qatar.

After Obama failed to fully commit the US military to Syria, the relationship did get weird with Qatar and it's ally Turkey. AKP's Turkey was seen as a potential model for other mideast states by DC think tanks in the first Obama term, but by 2016 the administration was willing to let the military coup play out.

I don't think Biden has really focused on rebuilding a special relationship with Qatar, but frankly his administration doesn't seem to have the ability to follow any consistent policy outside of Europe and East Asia.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

did the saudis finish turning qatar into an island before the detente

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://mobile.twitter.com/MapEthiopia/status/1589323607221891072

one of the largest cities in oromia is under siege

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

separatist sentiment isn't as universal among the oromo, unlike in tigray, is that kinda correct?

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

i say swears online posted:

separatist sentiment isn't as universal among the oromo, unlike in tigray, is that kinda correct?

TPLF isn’t hardcore separatist, while OLA is.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh that's interesting

I guess their offensive toward addis fairly early in the war was an attempt to re-install their remnants of the eprdf? makes sense the tdf isn't fully separatist since lots of them were in charge recently

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 19:47 on Nov 6, 2022

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

Al-Saqr posted:

lol no Obama literally said “I don’t care about the folks in Tahrir” and openly supported the Saudi-Israel-UAE axis of fascism to put down the only shot Arabs had at some form of transition away from totalitarian dictatorships. it’s not Qatar or turkeys fault people voted for Islamists in the few elections that happened.

Arabs clamoring and dying for democracy is not an American conspiracy.

same energy as people trying to say Israeli fascism is just a waste byproduct of American/white supremacy

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Lmao Crimea. That's one way to solve the conflict over it

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/LostWeapons/status/1589403943251357699?s=20&t=dnGNO_SKqy3aRPHWltLncg

Ethiopian National Defense Force accused of using the Forbidden Radio

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

oh word, a government with pretty close ties to china is using north korean radios???

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I guess at least confirms the geopolitical alignments of Ethiopia/Eritrea/the TPLF/Sudan/OLA at this point.

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

i have exposed that saudi arabia has been using equipment from notorious war criminal regime of USA in their war against the houthis. unconscionable stuff

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

UK Prime Minister Rishi Sunak refused to answer questions about the fate of British-Egyptian activist Alaa Abd el-Fattah after delivering a speech at the UN’s climate conference, COP27, in Egypt.

As Sunak left the stage after delivering a speech at the summit in the Egyptian resort town of Sharm El-Sheikh, VICE World News repeatedly asked the Prime Minister if he would be demanding el-Fattah’s release during his visit to Egypt, including in meetings with Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi, the UK’s ally.

However, Sunak was rushed away by colleagues without making a comment.

This week world leaders began arriving in Sharm El-Sheikh for the launch of COP27. More than 300 miles away outside the capital Cairo, el-Fattah escalated months of a hunger strike by completely giving up food and water to protest 9 years in detention.

Supporters of the jailed writer have been eager to get an update on his health, and on Monday morning his mother, Laila Soueif, travelled from her home in Cairo to the prison where she’s allowed to receive a weekly letter from her son. After waiting 10 hours outside the prison and pleading with staff, she received no letter from el-Fattah.

In a comment to VICE World News, el-Fattah’s family said: “The weekly letter is the one proof of life we were counting on. And now it hasn’t happened. We don’t know what this means but it’s cause for serious concern. Is he still inside? Is he conscious? We have no idea now and are very very worried.”

In addition to being an Egyptian citizen, el-Fattah is also British. And on the 18th of October, in the lead up to COP27, his sister, Sanaa Seif, began a sit-in outside the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London, hoping to pressure the British government to pressure el-Sisi to release her brother from prison.

Sunak, who took office last month, released a letter before travelling to Sharm el-Sheikh in support of el-Fattah saying that the UK government was “deeply committed to doing everything we can to resolve Alaa’s case as soon as possible.”

But since arriving in Egypt to attend COP27, Sunak has publicly been tight-lipped and avoided talking to reporters.

His office released a statement saying that he had raised el-Fattah’s case during a meeting with the Egyptian President on Monday and that Sunak “hoped to see this resolved as soon as possible.”

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/joeywreck/status/1589501703589892097

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

you do not in fact have to hand it to farrakhan

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

you do not in fact have to hand it to farrakhan

thanks for letting us know youre a cracker

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

farrakhan killed malcolm x

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
I thought the fbi murdered x and tried to blame it on islam

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Tricky D posted:

I thought the fbi murdered x and tried to blame it on islam

Malcolm X was seen as a threat by the FBI but to clap him they used shooters from the NOI.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
some guy blew himself up a couple hundred meters from me apparently

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oGk7i-8ItwQ

e: only a few sources are saying terrorist, most list no reason. so maybe that or just a bad gas leak.

Zedhe Khoja has issued a correction as of 15:12 on Nov 13, 2022

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Zedhe Khoja posted:

e: only a few sources are saying terrorist, most list no reason. so maybe that or just a bad gas leak.

that’s quite the fireball :/

e: reading reports of a gag order and several dead, wounded.

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 15:42 on Nov 13, 2022

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i don't think many people blow themselves up for no reason

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Rutibex posted:

who could have a beef with Turkey though?

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Rutibex posted:

I meant “no reason” as them not knowing cause of explosion. there being a bomber was up in the air

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

looks like erdogan is saying the pkk did it

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

lobster shirt posted:

A cell based right in Stockholm!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

lobster shirt posted:

wow. never would have expected erdogan to blame the pkk. very uncharacteristic behavior

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

everyone I spoke to thinks it’s an op marking the kick-off of election season (like the bombings Erdogan used as a threat in 2015). now, people in Turkey think everything’s an op, but it usually is.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

mawarannahr posted:

everyone I spoke to thinks it’s an op marking the kick-off of election season (like the bombings Erdogan used as a threat in 2015). now, people in Turkey think everything’s an op, but it usually is.

same with america. the world is flat. globalization owns

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Zedhe Khoja posted:

looks like we're several hundred meters away from each other.

i was fortunately on the other side of halic today. can't seem to upload my video from when we got back to taksim.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

guidoanselmi posted:

looks like we're several hundred meters away from each other.

i was fortunately on the other side of halic today. can't seem to upload my video from when we got back to taksim.

I hear social media is slow now, maybe intentionally. the videos online are pretty bad.

I myself used to live down the road from there near Galatasaray. it was great before they made the malls and whittled away the nightlife and anything that made the area distinct.

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
:nws:

https://twitter.com/Aldanmarki/status/1591841511033163777

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN has issued a correction as of 14:57 on Nov 14, 2022

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

i like how they post graphic images and videos of dead bodies and then go “oh, trigger warning by the way” in the third tweet

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Ya I spoiled it, not something you want to click on accident

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1592085771766632448?s=20&t=Zbzb4wGQLg_Y25fZuqGAgg