Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOpRVNqOZUA

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

i'm not watching Andor which unfortunately means it sucks and is for idiots

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Maya Fey posted:

star warkanda forever

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Maya Fey posted:

many people have taken to calling it "And-bore"

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

It shits all over rogue one

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 minutes!
They call it Andor because it's boring and/or sucks

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

It's better than the first season of mandalorian, and that was a lot of fun too.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Andor is the best scifi tv show since farscape

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

george lucas and disney have abused good will for star wars poo poo for 30 years at this point so i cant blame anyone for not believing it but andor actually is good

but don't pay disney to see it there are definitely still ways to see it without supporting them

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 minutes!
Yeah what's their next show gonna be called, Neithernor??

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

søren kierkegaard is an extremely star wars name

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

also rogue one is good, like it's better than the trilogy and basically a good pilot project for what you get if you tore down a lot of the excess about star wars? like a new hope straight up steals a ton from ww2 movies, and it felt like the rogue one guy understood that origin a bit, and made a contemporary star wars war film

but it falls the gently caress apart out of the need to meet whatever mandate that it plug directly into the beginning of a new hope. that poo poo at the end really sucks. tarkin sucks.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
how long until they ressurect Andor to continue his adventure post Rogue One?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Communist Thoughts posted:

Personally it's the people saying "it's the best star wars since rogue one" that puts me off cause rogue one is boring as hell and considerably worse even than the stupid new films.

yeah that movie sucks epic amounts of poo poo. even the Darth Vader ending scene was just ok

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
Rogue One is the only good Star Wars movie Disney has made (ok maybe only the best of a bad bunch). Which one do you think is better? Solo? Lmao. TFA? Maybe. TLJ? Absolutely not.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Cpt_Obvious posted:

It's better than the first season of mandalorian, and that was a lot of fun too.

oh wow, they got Bill Burr for two episodes?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Riot Bimbo posted:

also rogue one is good, like it's better than the trilogy and basically a good pilot project for what you get if you tore down a lot of the excess about star wars? like a new hope straight up steals a ton from ww2 movies, and it felt like the rogue one guy understood that origin a bit, and made a contemporary star wars war film

but it falls the gently caress apart out of the need to meet whatever mandate that it plug directly into the beginning of a new hope. that poo poo at the end really sucks. tarkin sucks.

the cgi tarkin and leia are just embarrassing. like its something that a parody would do. ghoulish poo poo that they went on to later perfect into a way to never have to recast or, god forbid, make up new characters

but the war stuff at the end rules, no matter how dumb it may be. they nailed all the battle scenes, the beach is a cool backdrop and the movie actually does just kill everyone off and gives them a proper ending

incidentally because i'm a loving idiot i decided to watch the obi-wan show and this poo poo sucks. i can't believe they tried to make the inquisitors a thing in live action. there's just a ton of dumb poo poo and most of it leaves me thinking "why is this a story that needed to be told" but i'll give the writers credit for one thing: they clearly understand that obi-wan is supposed to be the worst. dude needs to be constantly reminded to not be a huge piece of poo poo, and he pulls the same trick with the third sister that he later does with luke, only much much dumber this time

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Yadoppsi posted:

Rogue One is the only good Star Wars movie Disney has made (ok maybe only the best of a bad bunch). Which one do you think is better? Solo? Lmao. TFA? Maybe. TLJ? Absolutely not.

my standard for good isn't "is this better than The Force Awakens"

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

everyone's tastes are different but for me, the more egregious those films are as kind of mediocre re-hashes of what's been done, the worse it tends to be. I haven't seen solo but it sounds like that never had a chance to be good for other reasons.

The main takeaway is there's playing it "safe" and then there's whatever the gently caress Disney does, and sometimes the former works out, the latter is always pap to me, and every other post-lucas star wars project is a tube you suck flavorless nutrient paste out of.

Maybe you like safe, or maybe you have gripes about Jyn's character, or other stuff that's going on. Rogue One is not exactly perfect nor high art, but it's the best new star wars movie to me.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Replacing live actors with CGI was literally a joke from Bojack Horseman and they actually made it a regular practice, the madlads

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I think my main issue with Rogue Ones is you could almost see how the editor hurriedly cobbled together a cut that reduced the main lady's role cause her performance was community theater tier, but aside from that I don't think anything about the movie really "worked" and the battle scenes were just fine

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

gonna be sad when he's gone

i've only seen like 6 of his films but they are all incredible. i really need to watch some more

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The delivery of the “I rebel” in the Rogue One trailer still gets a chuckle out of me. Andor managed to get great performances out of even supporting characters like the shop assistant.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Mystifying that anyone liked Rogue One. I'm not a SW fan, granted, but it was absolutely schlock

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

as a star wars turbonerd, it was all right. The first halfof the movie is a huge mess and the main characters aren't very interesting, but it's not bad enough that you can't watch it for the action and there's a few fun ancillary characters. It's easily the best Disney star war until now but it's like a 3/5. Andor is on a different level entirely

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I saw it opening weekend and remember basically nothing besides Force Monk guy blind walking through the battle and that the last scene is the first scene of New Hope which is kinda cool

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Vader hallway scene was the coolest and scariest thing he did in the entire series

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Open Source Idiom posted:

tbh I think this isn't wrong; I can't tell if it's my bias against the Mouse speaking more than anything else, but I suspect I'd like Andor more if it wasn't tied to Star Wars. There are scenes in the show that aren't inherently interesting e.g. man gets cornered talking to an annoying bloke on the bus, but seem to sort of exist on the show because they're taking place in the Star Wars universe and it's novel to show that kind of thing there.

There's a lot of interesting stuff around the edges of the show, and that stuff has become increasingly prominent as it goes on -- the man baby fascist who owns Star Wars toys is the kind of thing I didn't think I'd see in a Disney production, but it's also, you know, fairly pointed in its critique -- so I'm warming to Andor more and more as the show progresses. But yeah, it still fundamentally feels like it's coming from a place that's compromised by virtue of being brand extension. Serious Star Wars for adults with titty bars (that can't show tits) and dispassionate state violence (administered bloodlessly).

I've been kinda thinking about this sorta thing; because while on one hand the modern ~cinematic universe~ has its own weird sterility to it, there's been a long strand in scifi that's interested in the mundane life of its characters and how that changed and hasn't changed. The first third of Alien is mostly maintenance guys bitching about their contract, and honestly that sort of used future aesthetic is part of what made Star Wars interesting in the first place

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
All the new Star Wars movies I saw were totally forgettable. Never saw Solo or the third one but the rest are just bland. I'd have a hard time buying that the fourth or fifth Disney show is somehow good except as "good for Star Wars" which is a low bar to clear.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Doc Fission posted:

Mystifying that anyone liked Rogue One. I'm not a SW fan, granted, but it was absolutely schlock

star wars is schlock and it is at its best when it embraces that fact

also i finished the obi-wan show and i can say it is the worst thing disney has done with the license. absolute dogshit from start to finish. its worse than fanfiction because at least fanfiction usually respects the source material

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

I'm not sure you could get a series made that is more honest about showing different people's perspectives of a revolutionary moment, without directly treating the viewer like a baby and being like "the rebels are communists, guys. look this guy is literally reading mao. i dont know how else to spell this out for you" This isn't really a criticism as there's nothing to be done about it in our cultural climate, but the Empire in Andor is still just nebulously "authoritarian" and the rebels are just "anti Empire" instead of pro-something else, so it leaves the door open for lib-brained readings.

Cookie Cutter has issued a correction as of 15:19 on Nov 10, 2022

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Doc Fission posted:

People just ignore how bad the first hour and a half is because it ends with a giant space battle and then some fan service of Vader from the hit series devil may cry

The first hour and a half is about a lead whose character was erased doing vaguely terroristic stuff that's edited to poo poo because the original scenes were just notAmericans getting killed by heroes in notIraq and they didn't want to depict that.

Go watch that desert city fight again, it's really weirdly edited to remove stuff and characters will do reaction faces that then don't segue to anything

At least BSG had the balls to have the good guys do suicide bombings on the desert planet

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

https://twitter.com/hiattb/status/1590691545493037056

Not enough explosions if true.

Serf
May 5, 2011

yeah that irl heist was a shitshow that killed a lot of bystanders and barely worked out

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
The only thing I can conclude from this is that they're lining up to rehabilitate the empire by making a Space USSR.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The only thing I can conclude from this is that they're lining up to rehabilitate the empire by making a Space USSR.

maybe palpatine was able to come back in ROS because they found his bones and gave him a proper burial in that cave like nick 2

Wraith of J.O.I. has issued a correction as of 16:18 on Nov 10, 2022

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

okay maybe I'll watch

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

lol https://twitter.com/JP_GHIBLI/status/1590720957676949504

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

PORG MOVIE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU